• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

njean777

Im sorry but the fight with
Letho at the end of ch 1
is horrendous game design. First they didn't even let me know about the fight coming, they had a little cutscene where I had the choice of saying "I need to do something first" but I thought you know like any other good game they would let me have another chance to put on swallow before the fight with this fucking cheater. I can not put on swallow, I don't have enough daggers to be cheap like him and cheese him, so here I am on my 35-40th retry on him. This is horrible game design, and if it was any other game I would quit after maybe the 5th time. CDProject is lucky I am interested in the story. FUCK FUCK FUCK

njean777 said:
Letho at the end of ch 1
is horrendous game design. First they didn't even let me know about the fight coming, they had a little cutscene where I had the choice of saying "I need to do something first" but I thought you know like any other good game they would let me have another chance to put on swallow before the fight with this fucking cheater. I can not put on swallow, I don't have enough daggers to be cheap like him and cheese him, so here I am on my 35-40th retry on him. This is horrible game design, and if it was any other game I would quit after maybe the 5th time. CDProject is lucky I am interested in the story. FUCK FUCK FUCK

A challenging boss is not bad game design. :(

He wasn't even that hard.

Jsunu

Banned
njean777 said:
Sad thing is I am on easy and this game is still tough.

Woah i had issues with the fight as well but on easy I was able to
repeatly knock letho back with my attacks and he couldn't recover, are you sure you are spaming the attacks enough?

Exuro

RedSwirl said:
How are you going to enhance TW2 beyond what it is now?
Fix shadows and bloom for one thing. A rebalance of the game would be nice as well.

The new dark mode sounds like quite a bit of an upgrade so I'll gladly try that out.

Solo

njean777 said:
Letho at the end of ch 1

Quen is your fruen(d)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
RedSwirl said:
How are you going to enhance TW2 beyond what it is now?

Make Act 3 an actual Act and not shorter than the prologue.

Red

-Mikey- said:
I see this on sale on GOG. Is that still the superior version or did steam fix w/e problems it had at launch?
There were no Steam-specific problems outside of inflated patches, which have indeed been fixed.

Kyaw

-Mikey- said:
I see this on sale on GOG. Is that still the superior version or did steam fix w/e problems it had at launch?

GoG will always be the superior version because all the money goes to CDPR.

-Mikey-

Just downloaded and installed the game. Got to the main menu and didn't see anything indicating what version of the game I have. Will I need to install the patches or did GOG take care of that?

EatChildren said:
Make Act 3 an actual Act and not shorter than the prologue.
I have seen you throw this idea around for a while. Is there an example of any company doing this? By this I mean redoing a whole section of a game and admit they didn't finish it. People release expansion packs or things like the enhanced edition but how often do devs admit to releasing unfinished parts of a game?

njean777

darkpaladinmfc said:
I swear some people are just playing the game completely wrong and then calling the combat bad >_<.

You can not tell me the combat is not at least middling, It is animation heavy and very annoying at points. I ended up beating him, but still its annoying when I can not move out of the way of an attack when Geralt is in the middle of an animation. Sure its more realistic but Im not actually fighting these people in real life, nor does the game world have anything to do with realism at all.

Don't get me wrong guys, I love the game and am enjoying it. But the combat is annoying sometimes.

so question - I bought witcher 2 during the steam sale. I still havent finished witcher 1 - I'm still in zone 2, but I think am near the end (beat the swamp tower boss etc).

I've sort of dropped Witcher 1 and just can't get back into it.

Should I just roll some witcher 2, or should I force myself to try and finish witcher 1?

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
njean777 said:
You can not tell me the combat is not at least middling, It is animation heavy and very annoying at points. I ended up beating him, but still its annoying when I can not move out of the way of an attack when Geralt is in the middle of an animation. Sure its more realistic but Im not actually fighting these people in real life, nor does the game world have anything to do with realism at all.

Don't get me wrong guys, I love the game and am enjoying it. But the combat is annoying sometimes.
Yeah, I picked it up from the GoG sale yesterday and the combat is crazy-annoying going in. The game really ought to tell you to spam the defense spell straight away, because I died a lot without realizing how you need to play to perform well.

I mean, the combat plays like a worse version of Assassin's Creed with spells at the beginning. I've been told it improves a lot as you get further into the game, but it was kind of disappointing. I mean, it's still a huge improvement on The Witcher's, which was so bad I never bothered beating the game, but a let down after all the praise the game has gotten.

The controls kind of suck too. The block takes way too long to put up, the rolling is finicky, and the spells are obnoxious to switch between for the kind of combat that's going on. Using the attack button as the pick-up button as well was a horrible decision. I mean, this game feels more like a console game than Dragon Age, so I'm not even sure where the people praising the PC-ness of this game are coming from.

Still looking forward to getting into it this weekend though.

Solo

cuevas said:
I have seen you throw this idea around for a while. Is there an example of any company doing this? By this I mean redoing a whole section of a game and admit they didn't finish it. People release expansion packs or things like the enhanced edition but how often do devs admit to releasing unfinished parts of a game?

Act 3 WAS finished though. Shorter than Act 1 and 2 =/= incomplete. Game was perfect length. If Act 3 were as long as Act 2, the game would have outstayed its welcome.

Exuro

Solo said:
Act 3 WAS finished though. Shorter than Act 1 and 2 =/= incomplete. Game was perfect length. If Act 3 were as long as Act 2, the game would have outstayed its welcome.
Completely disagree. When Act 3 started I expected lengths of Act 1 and 2, not a length of the prologue.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Solo said:

Nonsense. Act 3 was far too short, undwhelming and quickly brushed aside, at least in the context of being 'Act 3' and not an 'Epilogue', which would have been a far more appropriate title. It was simply too short and too underdeveloped, and the only part of the game that, in my opinion, is suspicious of CPD running out of time/money.

I dont necessarily expect something as long as Act 1 or Act 2, or even close to, but I do expect something with substance, and Act 3 had very little.

cuevas said:

They might have meant for Act 3 to be as it was, and are unlikely to make any changes :p. But I, personally, would like to see Act 3 fleshed out a bit more. I'd like to see more story development, more exploration and more questing. Its the weakest stretch of the game by a good country mile.

Exuro

Solo said:
Thats a problem with your expectations, not with the game itself.
These expectations were set by the game though. It's not my fault that the prologue is longer than an entire act in the game. There wasn't enough to Act 3. It consisted of a few main quests and side quests in a fairly small area. They could have easily expanded the act at the beginning where you're in the mountain pass more while trying to reach the camp. That was a beautiful looking area that you're in for no longer than a minute.

Solo

Well, I'll happily be in the minority here then. Act 3 was a nicely sewn up tapestry of the threads running throut the game and directly leads you into The Witcher 3, which will assuredly take place directly after this one.

As for the length of the game itself, if you beef Act 3 up and add 10-15 more hours to the game, I for one would probably start to have my enthusiasm tail off and end the game thinking "there, I finished it", like I do for every overly long game, instead of ending it on a high note and loving the entire experience, like I did for the version of the game that we got, which hit the sweet spot for me, length-wise.

Complistic

njean777 said:
Sad thing is I am on easy and this game is still tough.

Letho
shouldn't give you any problems at all on easy. He is certainly challenging but that's what good combat does. It challenges you.

Tokubetsu

Solo said:
Well, I'll happily be in the minority here then. Act 3 was a nicely sewn up tapestry of the threads running throut the game and directly leads you into The Witcher 3, which will assuredly take place directly after this one.

As for the length of the game itself, if you beef Act 3 up and add 10-15 more hours to the game, I for one would probably start to have my enthusiasm tail off and end the game thinking "there, I finished it", like I do for every overly long game, instead of ending it on a high note and loving the entire experience, like I did for the version of the game that we got, which hit the sweet spot for me, length-wise.

Same. This is exactly how I felt (I think we even brofisted earlier in the thread). I don't think the game needs anymore actual fat. Give us a new expansion if they want to tell more story. Side-quests included.

Mafro

I've encountered this fucking annoying glitch where I'm stuck in Phillipa's house in act 2 after speaking to her about a quest. The sun/moon shines bright as hell through the windows and no button prompt appears when standing in front of the door, so I can't get out. Anyone else encounter this and manage to fix it? Loaded up an earlier save and the same thing happens again.

Perhaps these issues have been discussed in the thread already but here are some thoughts about the game:

About half-way through Act II, and my impression so far is that The Witcher 1 is the better game. The presentation on W2 is better, but there were a lot more enemy types in the first game, and more areas too: the castle, the outskirts, the quarters, the swamp, the lake, and the frozen area at the end.

So far this game has had the castle, which you couldn't explore that much. The prison area, Flotsam, and the Kaedweni camp. Although the entire 2nd chapter varies depending with who you ally, the perception of people that only play the game once is that the game is shorter than its predecessor.

Also, some of the menu's are a step-back from the first game; for example, if you are in the inventory, clicking 'm' should take you to the map like in the first game. Instead, you have to go back to gameplay and access the map from there. And not being able to see which books you have read from the inventory is quite irritating.

Those are my criticisms, but the game also does a lot of things right. Some of the quests are very memorable. Crafting and upgrading weapons is now worthwhile. The story is great, but above all it is more Witcher which is what I wanted.

Solo

Flotsam and the surrounding woods alone is a more impressive feat than I've seen in some time. It all feels so authentic.

Salaadin

Lasthope106 said:
About half-way through Act II, and my impression so far is that The Witcher 1 is the better game. The presentation on W2 is better, but there were a lot more enemy types in the first game, and more areas too: the castle, the outskirts, the quarters, the swamp, the lake, and the frozen area at the end.

So far this game has had the castle, which you couldn't explore that much. The prison area, Flotsam, and the Kaedweni camp. Although the entire 2nd chapter varies depending with who you ally, the perception of people that only play the game once is that the game is shorter than its predecessor.

TW1 had me feeling so bored with the town/swamps/sewers about halfway thru Act 2 and what do they do? Give you a whole other chapter full of them. I had to force myself thru that.
Act 4 was such a breath of fresh air though.

TW2 has less areas but they shuffle you off to the news ones faster and I never felt bored with them.

Esch

Banned
The Witchers environments have a lot of bullshit stock fluff. The houses all look very similar, a lot of them are lacking in purpose. The environments are big, but they don't have any zazz... Assassins of Kings brings them to life.

Actiss

Okay, I'm a bit confused. I'm trying to do the quest
Bring It On: Flotsam
, and the next thing I'm supposed to do is to
arm wrestle "Big Max"
, but I've looked all over the place, and he's not where he is supposed to be according to the guides that I've been reading. Am I missing something?

Maybe I didn't need to spoil-tag above, but just being safe, ya' know?

EatChildren

Solo said:
Flotsam and the surrounding woods alone is a more impressive feat than I've seen in some time. It all feels so authentic.

Floatsam and the environments in Act 2 are perhaps the most authentic, natural looking environments I've ever seen in a videogame. CDP absolutely nailed the sculpting of topography and placement of ferna.

njean777

Complistic said:
Letho
shouldn't give you any problems at all on easy. He is certainly challenging but that's what good combat does. It challenges you.

Its fine to be challenging like Demon Souls, but when the enemies have fast shots when you don't due to an animation its cheap, and bad combat design.

njean777 said:
Its fine to be challenging like Demon Souls, but when the enemies have fast shots when you don't due to an animation its cheap, and bad combat design.

It's not the first time that people brings DS in this thread using it as example of good combat design, and don't misunderstand myself, the combat in DS is amazing, but is filled of cheap moments (and don't make me start talking lol). The Witcher 2 combat has it flaws, of course, but precisely the mentioned combat (
Letho
) is not cheap. Maybe is hard the first time (
what were you expecting? you're fighting a fucking witcher like yourself
) but you have to learn to control your distance and don't let him make a move, because if you let him do things (
signs, bombs, etc..
) you're dead.

EDIT BTW, I just remembered a very strange thing I saw in my last playthrough, what the hell is that thing I've seen in the sky..
it seems like a plane lol, could it be The Wild Hunt? I've also had another screencap from Vergen in Ch.2 showing the same thing
54C7186D87D122644A2F0DEEE4EF11BCC74AC4E5

Salaadin said:
TW1 had me feeling so bored with the town/swamps/sewers about halfway thru Act 2 and what do they do? Give you a whole other chapter full of them. I had to force myself thru that.
Act 4 was such a breath of fresh air though.

TW2 has less areas but they shuffle you off to the news ones faster and I never felt bored with them.

Yeah, the Witcher in general had very generic environments....and very few. The world was very generic looking to my mind. The prologue in the Witcher 2 has more vibrancy and detail compared to all the levels of Witcher combined. The only environments in the original which looked intriguing to me were the lakeside and the ice field

Robot Pants

I think the combat in The Witcher 2 is great, especially after you start to level up. But sometimes it just stops working (doesn't register inputs) and that's what brings it down.
Is it just me that this happens to? Sometimes I'll dodge and when I come out of it I have to press the cast magic button 28 times for it to come out (and yes I have plenty of Vigor).

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Glad to see CD Project optimized the game a little more. Back when the game originally came out, I barely got 25 frames per second on the lowest settings but now I get similar frames on high settings.

Starting my insanity playthrough now, wish me luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom