• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I posted a few pages back about the PC version locking up in menus. We thought it was Shadowplay related... But that's not it. I turned Shadowplay off, and once again the game has locked. Music still plays, but no input is detected and task manager shows its not responding.

This seems to specifically happen when I'm reading notes/books in my inventory. Anyone else experiencing this? Any know fixes?

Torraz

Which HUD options did you guys turn off/off?

Looking for a decent balance between exploration / adventure and not knowing wtf to do / where to do it.

brau

Which HUD options did you guys turn off/off?

Looking for a decent balance between exploration / adventure and not knowing wtf to do / where to do it.

I was hoping there would be a hide hud options when you are not in combat or need something from the hud. But would appear back when you enter a fight or what not.

any idea why i am crashing hard? i am at the ransacked village and i took out some deserts and when i try to go in my inventory to read a letter and a book it keeps crashing. i rolled the drivers back but no joy

Didn't see this before posting just now.

I'm having same issue - reading notes or books causes the game to lock up on PC it seems.

Lunar15

So I posted a few pages back about the PC version locking up in menus. We thought it was Shadowplay related... But that's not it. I turned Shadowplay off, and once again the game has locked. Music still plays, but no input is detected and task manager shows its not responding.

This seems to specifically happen when I'm reading notes/books in my inventory. Anyone else experiencing this? Any know fixes?

This has happened to me 3 times. Not sure what it's related to. I sure hope there's a few more patches coming down the line.

ExReey

Small, spoilerish question about the game introduction:

How did Geralt manage to track Yennifer down so easily? Where did her letter come from? I can't remember anything about it in the Witcher 2. It's all so sudden and unexpected, it seems.

The game is awesome btw!

Oh and anyone has the official Prima guide? Is it useful?

Risev1

Downloaded the DLC, two questions:

Checked the new hairstyles at the barber, but why is this one not included:

http://i.imgur.com/WyfiN6t.png

There is one just like it in the base game, but the difference is that the one in the game has you shave Geralt's sides unlike this one.

Second question is about the Timerean Armor / Horse armor. Where can I find it after installing the DLC?

I really dig the windy tree effect but it sure would be nice if it only happened occasionally. Are all of the areas like that?

Noticed that also. Gale force winds all day on a nice sunny day lol. The trees are bent at like 45 degree angles from the wind. in real life it would be a hurricane...

Blizzard

Banned
I learned today that my 770 is shit.

T_T
I have a 2GB GTX 770 and that seems to stay 53-60 fps with an i5-3570k at 4.2 GHz.

I did have to do a lot of experimenting with the settings to figure out what the big performance hitters were, though. The biggest ones I remember were hairworks (I barely notice a difference and it's not worth the extreme penalty even on an nVidia card with the new Witcher-ready drivers) and foliage distance (I'll take my ugly scenery since it means I can gain like 10-20 fps and crank up other settings).

In white Orchard, Viper stuff quest :

I have to go into a
crypt
in a
cemetery
. I went there before getting the quest and I was weak, so when I saw
the ghost i promptly escaped, but I think the door (grid) closed behind me.
Now I cannot enter
the crypt to get the second part of the items

Am I fucked ?

Artbook is gorgeous (as was TW2's artbook) but I'm scared of spoilers lol.
The comic is also very nice.
Speaking of spoilers, it blows my mind that I've played for 4 hours and a lot of people had already seen everything I just did (and way more than that) before even playing it. Why would you do that? I'm glad I managed to avoid most of the media in the last couple of months, hadn't even heard Yen's voice yet, I like it, it's in line with what I was imagining while reading the books.

My copy should be coming in the mail any minute. Does anybody have a general idea about difficulty choice? I played W1 and W2 on hard. I don't want the game to be a pointless slog, but I do like a fair amount of difficulty. What say you gaf?

Squishy3

It's kind of amazing how well the subplots tied together in White Orchard.

So you can talk to the hunter about how he was involved with the lord's son, and got driven out because of it, and the lord's son later hanged himself because of it. You complete the noonwraith quest, ask the guy who requested your services about Claer and Volker, and he says to go talk to the herbalist. The herbalist then says they were raided by the lord's men and killed due to some business about Florian, the lord's son. Fucking excellent, CDPR. Simple story, but spread out among different quests and people and it feels natural.

Wasp

I had a bad experience upon first starting the game on PS4 (physical version). Watched the hand-drawn intro and the CGI intro then the game hit an infinite loading screen. Closed the game and booted it back up, watched the lengthy and unskipable intros again and the same thing happened again, the loading bar on the first loading screen was stuck on about 20%.

Looked it up online and many other people are having the same problem. I managed to fix it though by going offline, deleting the game, clearing some space off my HDD (it was 90% full), turning the PS4 off and back on again, reinstalling the game, waiting 10 minutes then starting the game still offline without the patch installed.

So anyone who lives near actual countryside - how realistic is the extreme movement of the foliage (trees, grass etc) when its highly windy?

It kinda looks extreme, but it also made me realize that back when I lived near countryside I never went out in extreme weather.

misterck

I've never played a witcher game before and I'm relatively new to this genre bit I always play games on the hardest difficulty straight off the bat, I'm doing not too bad so far.

th4tguy

Really enjoying the Witcher so far. Few questions though.

Is there a quick map button? (PS4).
I keep hearing a jingle when passing by certain things. This seems to happen randomly and I will stop and search the area I hear it in and not find anything obvious.

Just driving by to say this is a fantastic game. Played for 5 hours straight last night - high/ultra on my 970 and it is beee-u-tiful. 360 no scoped the Griffin at 230am. Playing on blood and bones aka hard and loving the challenge.

RIP good night's sleep.

I had a bad experience upon first starting the game on PS4 (physical version). Watched the hand-drawn intro and the CGI intro then the game hit an infinite loading screen. Closed the game and booted it back up, watched the lengthy and unskipable intros again and the same thing happened again, the loading bar on the first loading screen was suck on about 20%.

Looked it up online and many other people are having the same problem. I managed to fix it though by going offline, deleting the game, clearing some space off my HDD (it was 90% full), turning the PS4 off and back on again, reinstalling the game, waiting 10 minutes then starting the game still offline without the patch installed.

Friend of mine took 2 days off to play W2 (and to a lesser extent destiny expansion) and is pissed about having this issue. He cant play the game on PS4.

Was looking forward to IMing him today (I think Witcher 3 is amazing) expecting his rave reactions, but he was super pissed (he doesnt get many days off work, so 2 is a lot for him)

In white Orchard, Viper stuff quest :

I have to go into a
crypt
in a
cemetery
. I went there before getting the quest and I was weak, so when I saw
the ghost i promptly escaped, but I think the door (grid) closed behind me.
Now I cannot enter
the crypt to get the second part of the items

Am I fucked ?
Do you "ard" them??

Really enjoying the Witcher so far. Few questions though.

Is there a quick map button? (PS4).
I keep hearing a jingle when passing by certain things. This seems to happen randomly and I will stop and search the area I hear it in and not find anything obvious.

I thought I saw someone post in this thread that a swipe up on the touchpad goes to the map.

Bl@de

I have a 2GB GTX 770 and that seems to stay 53-60 fps with an i5-3570k at 4.2 GHz.

I did have to do a lot of experimenting with the settings to figure out what the big performance hitters were, though. The biggest ones I remember were hairworks (I barely notice a difference and it's not worth the extreme penalty even on an nVidia card with the new Witcher-ready drivers) and foliage distance (I'll take my ugly scenery since it means I can gain like 10-20 fps and crank up other settings).

50-60? Outside of settlements, sure. In villages 40 ... I'm scared of Novigrad ... Hope it stays above 30. Don't want to go lower then High settings (also have some on medium to keep it hovering around 50fps most of the time)

Wreav

Banned
Is the sun spunking on your screen/view not bothering anyone else?

VPloZI9.jpg

I made the comparison to Battlefield in an earlier thread...this trend is so annoying, I was hoping they'd have it fixed by release.

brau

So anyone who lives near actual countryside - how realistic is the extreme movement of the foliage (trees, grass etc) when its highly windy?

It kinda looks extreme, but it also made me realize that back when I lived near countryside I never went out in extreme weather.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUkxd5Pl8PI

I think it does a good job. It must have a very intricate weather system in place. With wind and what not, because it feels very organic.

Braag

I think the narrator people keep talking about is Vesemir (the old Witcher). Dandelion's voice is the same (thankfully because I love him). I'm sure he becomes the narrator of those sections later in the game.

Oh man I'm happy they didn't change Dandelion's voice, it was spot on in The Witcher 2. The loading screen narrator sounds like some old man which made me scared that they changed his voice into... that.

I'm getting destroyed fighting bandit archers. Any tips? The parry arrows perk doesn't seem to do anything...

I used cover and rolling/dodge but I didnt get far in the game so its possible there are battles where there is no cover

Its fun getting out of cover, setting them on fire and going back behind cover again !

Blizzard

Banned
50-60? Outside of settlements, sure. In villages 40 ... I'm scared of Novigrad ... Hope it stays above 30. Don't want to go lower then High settings (also have some on medium to keep it hovering around 50fps most of the time)
If you have hairworks off and foliage distance minimum, and you're still getting 40 in villages, I'm not sure. If I ever get to Novigrad I'll try to remember to let you know what framerate I see.

Unrelated, I just tried to skim through 20+ pages since last night, but didn't find anything about the Steam update.
I got a ~20 MB Steam patch today for Witcher 3, but no explanation on the forums, and no patch notes (I love developers who use the Steam patch notes). Does anyone have any idea what it does?

bbd23

It's kind of amazing how well the subplots tied together in White Orchard.

So you can talk to the hunter about how he was involved with the lord's son, and got driven out because of it, and the lord's son later hanged himself because of it. You complete the noonwraith quest, ask the guy who requested your services about Claer and Volker, and he says to go talk to the herbalist. The herbalist then says they were raided by the lord's men and killed due to some business about Florian, the lord's son. Fucking excellent, CDPR. Simple story, but spread out among different quests and people and it feels natural.

yup, love getting that "wait, this is part of this!" feeling with all the quests haha.

woen

Where is the barber ?

Tried to kill a group of bandits, like 7-8, most lvl 7, 3 big armored lvl 16. You can instant kill them by using of the sign at the right time...But I was killed by some random bolt before I could finish the last big guy.

Dresden

I was like 'wow death march is getting easy' and then I ran into the multi-wraith gangbang in
Hunting in the Dark.
Ended up just looting the chest and running away.

KorrZ

Did any of the reviews mention the clunky controls?

In the grand scheme of 100 hours of gameplay you get used to the controls. Might not be something you'd think to mention by the time you finish the game. I wouldn't necessarily call them clunky, they just take getting used to.

It's got that same weighty feel that Rockstar likes to use for their games.

Bl@de

If you have hairworks off and foliage distance minimum, and you're still getting 40 in villages, I'm not sure. If I ever get to Novigrad I'll try to remember to let you know what framerate I see.

Nope hairworks off. Kills performance on the 770. Foliage distance high, medium is already ugly^^ I need that gras and foliage everywhere :p Lowest recorded fps was 39fps in White Orchard. But that's still acceptable

Squishy3

yup, love getting that "wait, this is part of this!" feeling with all the quests haha.
The fact it's all stuff you hear second-hand instead of witnessing also makes it feel more natural, and it just gives you little details and your mind fills in the rest of the story.

KorrZ

F5ing this thread all day has not been good for my productivity at work :lol. Less than 1 hour to go and that Griffon is minE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom