• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zolo

It pretty much comes down to this; power corrupts. Choosing your favourite king (because I'd agree with Foltest too) is really about picking the lesser evil when all are, in the grand scheme of things, cunts. And that extends to everyone in positions of power. Powerful sorceresses and sorcerers scheme, manipulate, and are cunts. Nilfgaard is a cunt empire. All the kings are cunts. Roche is a cunt. Iorveth is a cunt. Scoia'tael are terrorists. Order of the Flaming Rose are basically Reich SS. Saskia is the closest "good leader" you'll find. Even Roche, the bro that he is, isn't really a bro; his primary goal is not helping you but specifically helping Termeria, and he schemes/plots/acts on this through all three acts, and uses you where necessary to forward these advances. He knows Loredo is scheming with Henselt, and wants him dead and the Kaedwen spy captured so Flotsam can remain under Termerian control. He gets his way, and kills the spy while torturing him. He follows Henselt to pursue this lead and is a key part of the conspiracy against him, and given the opportunity (as well as vengeance) kills the king with his own hands. His primary goal in Loc Muinne is securing Anaïs and doing what he can to preserve Foltest's rule, even if it means allying with Radovid.

He's a bro, but he's still a ruthless, political lapdog through and through and his entire character arc is rooted in politics and Termeria. Which for a character like Geralt who's supposed to be somewhat politically distant is quite a rock and a hard place.

Really, Witchers are the only ones with 'power' who've avoided abusing it and as a result it's got them nowhere. They're poor outcasts in a world that's rejecting them. No empires, no authority. In many ways Geralt has nothing, and the cunts have everything.

Well, all witchers except Letho anyway. I also figure most people just don't want to admit Geralt's true bro is Dandelion.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Holy shit. It is happening. Too bad I have to work tonight... but afterwards I get 48 hours with the game.

Starviper

Here's a better shot of the tattoo I got earlier, now that it's healed a bit and I'm able to take off the bandage :)

11060464_10204065540420393_6084016933367288528_n.jpg

Can't wait to play tomorrow! I sent it over to CDPR, I wonder if i'll get any sort of response.

Looking at all the monsters and enemies, I wish vanilla Skyrim had that much variation.
Witcher 3 Is going to be amazing and will surely surpass Skyrim as one of my favorite RPG's of all time.

Here's a better shot of the tattoo I got earlier, now that it's healed a bit and I'm able to take off the bandage :)

Can't wait to play tomorrow! I sent it over to CDPR, I wonder if i'll get any sort of response.

Damn, that looks awesome. I'm planning on getting that on my leg by my fallout tattoo soon.

Mifec

Well, all witchers except Letho anyway. I also figure most people just don't want to admit Geralt's true bro is Dandelion.

Well yeah he is his closest bro. Pretty sure Eskel is too since people tend to think him and Geralt are brothers.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I think letho and his witcher buds make a pretty good case against this. In regards to abusing their power.

Absolutely, and that's what makes his character interesting; exploiting their power to better their own people. And ironically Letho only landed in that position because of Geralt.

It pretty much comes down to this; power corrupts. Choosing your favourite king (because I'd agree with Foltest too) is really about picking the lesser evil when all are, in the grand scheme of things, cunts. And that extends to everyone in positions of power. Powerful sorceresses and sorcerers scheme, manipulate, and are cunts. Nilfgaard is a cunt empire. All the kings are cunts. Roche is a cunt. Iorveth is a cunt. Scoia'tael are terrorists. Order of the Flaming Rose are basically Reich SS. Saskia is the closest "good leader" you'll find. Even Roche, the bro that he is, isn't really a bro; his primary goal is not helping you but specifically helping Termeria, and he schemes/plots/acts on this through all three acts, and uses you where necessary to forward these advances. He knows Loredo is scheming with Henselt, and wants him dead and the Kaedwen spy captured so Flotsam can remain under Termerian control. He gets his way, and kills the spy while torturing him. He follows Henselt to pursue this lead and is a key part of the conspiracy against him, and given the opportunity (as well as vengeance) kills the king with his own hands. His primary goal in Loc Muinne is securing Anaïs and doing what he can to preserve Foltest's rule, even if it means allying with Radovid.

He's a bro, but he's still a ruthless, political lapdog through and through and his entire character arc is rooted in politics and Termeria. Which for a character like Geralt who's supposed to be somewhat politically distant is quite a rock and a hard place.

Really, Witchers are the only ones with 'power' who've avoided abusing it and as a result it's got them nowhere. They're poor outcasts in a world that's rejecting them. No empires, no authority. In many ways Geralt has nothing, and the cunts have everything.

Good analysis. Very true. I also agree with the other comments on how when Letho does gain some power and influence he uses it to manipulate and murder in order to further his own goals (just like all the others).

Don't forget Zoltan either!

Lunar15

I've read before that Geralt's character in the books was born out of a anti-political movement that was popular in Poland at the time.

I've read before that Geralt's character in the books was born out of a anti-political movement that was popular in Poland at the time.

That's interesting. That anti-political theme does seem to be a fairly constant theme. Geralt got kind of forced into the political machine in TW2, which he clearly hates (at least that's what I got from it).

realcZk

Anyone running Windows 10 technical preview and going to try out this game? I have it on another partition and I might see how it fares compared to 8.1. I'm not expecting much since the game obviously doesn't use any DX12 features. NVIDIA drivers for Windows 10 just hit WQHL certification a couple days ago and we should be getting the gameready driver for TW3 tomorrow.

This is the way of the world and I would rather be an outcast honorable and good person with nothing and a shit hand in life than be rich and powerful and become like everyone who comes into celebrity or power eventually, jaded brutal and a bastard, and since the world is based around the fact that the bastards are the ones who get ahead means that the world is literally upside down: this applies to the real world and the dream world's of fantasy we involve ourselves in. I'd love to try and break the mould one day though.

It's also why my save is the way it is, I believe that's the path that geralt would have truly taken because the outcomes are all the worse because of what he's done even though he's trying to always do the right thing.

I'm so glad however that this game sounds like it's pretty much a re-telling of the book story line because it's going to be awesome I can't wait to investigate everything.

I hope Zoltan is in this game but I haven't seen any assets for him yet and I am super glad Dandelion is in it because he's a king of a best friend. Just the type of best friend I'd like to have in real life. Someone I always get to say "shut up you idiot" to all the time but knows I'm only half joking.

Pop

That's awesome.

Tomorrow needs to hurry up.

Awesome thread and really helped me with info as I've never played a Witcher game before. Can't wait for release!

This is exactly what I want to hear :) if it was helpful for people who haven't played before it has surely served its purpose.

It might be better if it was a bit lighter so I'll think about removing some more screenshots and the gifs a bit later on so its easier to load the page on mobiles.

That's awesome.

Tomorrow needs to hurry up.

Im going to bed early as tonight and trying to sleep I need this game in my veins now and I've got nothing else to do but play when it arrives. Sleep will make the time go faster.

TMC

Excellent OT!

Anyone pre-order from Best Buy? Release day delivery was the standard option when I pre-ordered about a month ago. It still has yet to ship. I am a bit worried I may not get it on Tuesday. I knew I should have just stuck with in-store pick-up.

Furyous

EatChildren FOR THE MOTHERFUCKING WIN AGAIN! You just saved me a play through. I was going to save Roche but fuck that. Knew going with my boy lorvieth was the right call. Knew Nillfgaard was on some fuck shit from the trailer.

Can anyone else tell me how those first choices play out in the game to help me figure out how to play my first playthrough? I changed my mind and want my Witcher status elevated to a higher place in society so it might help to say screw the nice guy motive.

Denton

Amazing OT. Just two things - I am not sure if the "Sapkowski doesn't consider games canon" is true anymore. Sure he said it back in 2012, but since then he released a new Witcher book (Season of Storms) that actually does not conflict with the games at all. And I doubt he would want to contradict them at this point, even if he might now admit it.
Then I noticed one typo - Lethod instead of Letho at the start of second OT post.

But seriously great work.

Mifec

EatChildren FOR THE MOTHERFUCKING WIN AGAIN! You just saved me a play through. I was going to save Roche but fuck that. Knew going with my boy lorvieth was the right call. Knew Nillfgaard was on some fuck shit from the trailer.

Can anyone else tell me how those first choices play out in the game to help me figure out how to play my first playthrough? I changed my mind and want my Witcher status elevated to a higher place in society so it might help to say screw the nice guy motive.

Iorveth is just as bad rofl.

Denton

I hope Zoltan is in this game but I haven't seen any assets for him yet and I am super glad Dandelion is in it because he's a king of a best friend. Just the type of best friend I'd like to have in real life. Someone I always get to say "shut up you idiot" to all the time but knows I'm only half joking.

Check out the second screenshot
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=952609

He is in the game and awesomer than ever.

Dynasty8

I swear...been playing for 25 hours and feel I haven't even touched the surface yet. Such an amazing game in every regard.

I have found a couple bugs which I hope they fix.

1. Audio hiccups. Very often the audio will stutter for about 2-3 seconds and return to normal.

2. Loading screen of death. Game just says it's loading and never starts. Happened only twice.

dreamfall

Iorveth is just as bad rofl.

I liked Iorveth- I felt like his cruel savagery came from fiercely fighting for the elves against a lot of racist shit. I think his willingness to protect and ally himself with Saskia was for the greater good to fight for Vergen and for the dwarves and other outcasts. He's brutal, but with purpose. I liked him!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Iorveth is a racist murderer driven by vengeance and securing Upper Aedern because he has a boner for Saskia which won't go anywhere because she has a lady boner for dwarves. Roche is more of a bro in the long run, sticks his neck out for you. But like everyone has political interests that drive him.

Either way both Termeria and Aedern fall to Nilfgaard.

Spazznid

Anyone running Windows 10 technical preview and going to try out this game? I have it on another partition and I might see how it fares compared to 8.1. I'm not expecting much since the game obviously doesn't use any DX12 features. NVIDIA drivers for Windows 10 just hit WQHL certification a couple days ago and we should be getting the gameready driver for TW3 tomorrow.

I am. Gonna run with Win 10 and 970, as well as try sli. I'll probably report in the performance thread.

So I have been avoiding most of the footage but how hard is the hard difficulty? I'm thinking of skipping normal, also can I just switch difficulty anytime like before?

viveks86

Iorveth is a racist murderer driven by vengeance and securing Upper Aedern because he has a boner for Saskia which won't go anywhere because she has a lady boner for dwarves. Roche is more of a bro in the long run, sticks his neck out for you. But like everyone has political interests that drive him.

Either way both Termeria and Aedern fall to Nilfgaard.

This…I… the only name I could recognize in there was Nilfgaard :/

Dynasty8

So I have been avoiding most of the footage but how hard is the hard difficulty? I'm thinking of skipping normal, also can I just switch difficulty anytime like before?

Yes, you can switch.

I'm playing on Death March (hardest difficulty) and can't emphasize enough how much better it is IMHO. Then again, I'm a masochist and a huge Souls/Bloodborne fan. But don't play it on normal...it's pretty damn easy. Hard and Death March are mainly hard at the beginning, but once you get the hang of the mechanics and controls, you're good to go.

Karak

Are you doing side quest or main story line first? I'm watching Angry Joe's W3 stream and it is all SUB TRAIN PLEASE up'd and it's kinda annoying.

Man you weren't joking. That damn channel is an abomination.

As for Witcher I have to say. After packing so many hours into the PS4 version my brain feels fried, jumping to the Xbox version has been fun just to plink around as I do my comparisons for review.

ironcreed

Banned
After midnight my time, so the day is finally here. Just a sleep and a matter of hours away. It's been awhile since I have been so worked up to play a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom