• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThisOne

How do you dismantle items/equipment? Also, I did a quest where I had to kill a moonwraith or something. Geralt mentioned something about crafting moonwraith oil before I tried to kill it. I could not see moonwraith oil anywhere in the alchemy menu. Do I have to find the recipe first? I guess it doesn't matter much since I was able to kill the thing without it, but I'm still curious.

Ostinatto

I'd turned down every gold reward so far.

I'm not for sale goddammit !!

tumblr_lhhxb0JGKq1qc63sno1_400.png

painey

It's my birthday tomorrow, and I just finished Witcher 2 so I was going to pick this up, but decided with all the pre-release issues that I should just hold off and wait for a patch and a probable $10 price drop. Looks like I made the right decision.

Yibby

How do you dismantle items/equipment? Also, I did a quest where I had to kill a moonwraith or something. Geralt mentioned something about crafting moonwraith oil before I tried to kill it. I could not see moonwraith oil anywhere in the alchemy menu. Do I have to find the recipe first? I guess it doesn't matter much since I was able to kill the thing without it, but I'm still curious.

You can dismantle items at the blacksmith. I don't know if you have to find the oil recipe, but all it does is to give you 10% more dmg against wariths.

bombshell

You can dismantle items in one of the crafting tabs at a blacksmith.

It's probably the spectre oil. If you look in the bestiary you can see which oil it's vulnerable to.

OmegaDL50

Blacksmith allows you to craft / dismantle items.

Also as for Sword oils, read the description of the monster in the Bestiary for it's type.

The Moonwraith is listed as a "Specter", So the Oil in this case would be a Specter Oil.

However the Oil is not necessary to win, It simply allows you to get a 10% damage bonus against Specter-types.

They mean the Specter Oil.

You can look up the entry in the Bestiary. The weaknesses are listed there if you have discovered them via conversations or books.

DrSlek

First time playing a Witcher game here, and my first impressions are not too good to be honest :( , and I really wanted to like this.

Aside for a few minor glitches, the game does look beautiful on PS4, but about the movement and combat...

I don´t know, after playing Bloodborne this just feels so clunky and unresponsive, hopefully it´ll get better later.

Also, just as I was starting to get engaged in story, the game crashes, right after pressing skip in the card game, like many other people here.

I think I had enough for today.

Maybe I rushed too much to play this, maybe I expected something different, I don´t really know, but I´ll try to keep at it.

You're suffering the same problem people had when they first played TW2. Don't think of it as a fast paced hack, shoot and dodge game. You have to be methodical. Plan your encounters. Learn how and when to use different signs, bombs and potions.
Back when TW2 was released people were losing their shit at some encounters like the Engrega Queen because they were just trying to brute force it. Players who paid attention knew to prep the battlefield. They laid traps, drank potions, applied blade oils, and made bombs. A difficult and frustrating encounter became a piece of cake.

Salsa

yeah, sword and story seems pretty damn easy but if I go back to blood and broken bones now I already lost the achievement :( lol

Is there a way to reload the crossbow without firing it. Dodging or rolling after firing stops Geralt doing it automatically and it means you have to wait for the whole reload animation before firing the next time. Was really screwing me over in the
Griffin
in White Orchid.

after lets say "tutorial area" real map overhelmed me. but its freedom - I jumped on my horse and arrived to Novigrad! so cool I could do that (if u smart-witcher enought thou ; )

then - O M G

its the best game ever made its just whole new level of games

it gonna be hard to play other crpgs now :O

going back to Novigrad!! because i can

The guy who is the voice actor for Geralt in Witcher 3, is it same guy for Witcher 1 and 2?

Because I swear it sounds like I'm hearing David Hayter speak every now and then.

If Sutherland didn't do Snake in MGSV, The guy who does Geralt's English voice would definitely be a solid alternative.
It sounds like David Hayter doing his best Batman lol. Switched to polish because I couldn't stand it.

Nose Master

Seems to be the thing to do. You can always sell shit, and denying the gold gets you a more unique reward. I'm trying to play as a dick, but that means constantly asking for gold. And fuck gold. I want stuff.

Also, the
spider
hunt is dumb. Spent like 5 minutes dancing around and killing the adds without being touched, boss one shots me. :(

jett

D-Member
I usually dismantle old swords and stuff, if anything nets me over 30 gold I generally sell that off so I can a decent influx of both crafting materials and money.

Some items are naturally better to be sold off rather then broken down because of the item itself is far more valuable then the sum of it's parts. Like certain rings and items with a "magic item" label

Hmm I guess I'll get my dismantling on.

Doing this level 26 contract at level 5.

Quen and I have really bonded.

I remember CDPR saying Quen would not be as overpowered in TW3 as it was in TW2. Clearly those folk were thinking of something else at the time.

You fail at witching. Witchers gotta witch.

TheRed

People who are complaining about the movement need to have this bug happen to them that I got. I only took advantage of it for one quest because it felt dirty making death march difficulty trivial, that and it was giving me a headache so I restarted the game and it was gone. But it was fun being superwitcher! Hmm i shouldve tested how fast i could run across an area compared to roach. On PC

https://youtu.be/QKWIJVf0VXg

^Apologize for questionable quality but shadowplay wasn't working and I wanted to get back to playing so did it quick and dirty with something I've never used.

Majukun

how are the "place of interest" discovered?
i don't have question marks anymore on the map,apart from the one concerning th main quest.....does that mean that i 've done everything in the first area and it's time to do the main quest?

so, i put the disc in my ps4 it installed fast and updated fast.

watched the intro movie and then started new game and watched second intro movie...

then it started loading and it just sat on load for about 8 minutes so i closed the game and re-opened it and it is now forcing me to wach the intro movie again. I cant skip it. for fucks sake!!!'

skynidas

Banned
i don't have question marks anymore on the map,apart from the one concerning th main quest.....does that mean that i 've done everything in the first area and it's time to do the main quest?

yes, you should do the main quest. the question marks appear when you read the boards on the different towns (marked in yellow)

You're suffering the same problem people had when they first played TW2. Don't think of it as a fast paced hack, shoot and dodge game. You have to be methodical. Plan your encounters. Learn how and when to use different signs, bombs and potions.
Back when TW2 was released people were losing their shit at some encounters like the Engrega Queen because they were just trying to brute force it. Players who paid attention knew to prep the battlefield. They laid traps, drank potions, applied blade oils, and made bombs. A difficult and frustrating encounter became a piece of cake.

I can't speak for the poster you quoted, but Geralt's combat controls were disappointing to me as well. This has nothing to do with an inability to defeat a particular enemy, the controls simply feel clunky compared to other games with really tight combat controls. I'm still enjoying the rich world and the strategic element of combat prep, but this definitely mars the experience.

Salsa

where can I get wire? nothing I dismantle seems to give it to me and I feel like it was easier to come across in previous games

edit: nvm I just bought it

yes and no : o some question marks popped to me later and by my explorer soul i ve found even more (chest under waterfall - it never dissapoints;)

proably most Q marks u see, because its common knownledge

Daverid

Maybe I'm weird but I much prefer side quests to the main story, way more combat and freedom.

I felt like the main story has a very, very slow start. Soon as I got deeper into the Bloody Baron questline it picked up and turned amazing.
I must say though, I feel sad for anyone playing who hasn't read the books. This is an entirely different and fucking incredible experience having all that extra detailed backstory.

That said, my favourite quest in the game so far was a side-quest,
Keria Metz's subplot where you remove the curse from Fyke Isle was just beyond incredible. The choices, the impact they had, the crazy, intriguing as fuck backstory of the tower and my fucking word the atmosphere...

Robiin

where can I get wire? nothing I dismantle seems to give it to me and I feel like it was easier to come across in previous games

edit: nvm I just bought it
You can buy a few from the herbalist I think, or was it the merchant you save who sets up shop near the entrance to the starter village? One of them, at least.

Edit: ooh.. good.

Okay, anyone know where the key is for the last treasure in the "Deserter Gold" is? The one where you enter a shack in a house and end up in a room with like four chests.
Edit: should mention it's in the starting area, White Orchid

I decided to started over on Death March difficulty since I heard the game gets easier later on. Damn I'm loving it. I'm realizing that I missed a ton of stuff in White Orchard. I really didn't get off the beaten path enough. Completely hooked on this game now.

Ghost23

What do I do if I stuck at a sliver of health with no food and no gold to buy food? I'm on the second hardest difficulty and I don't want to switch to a lower difficulty.

Oh fuck me - I've been playing the game whole day and slowly getting through the prologue, just to realize that I didn't pick the right choce regarding Witcher 2 saves. I thought if I say I don't want to simulate W2 save, I'll get to answer those questions... Why couldn't they just let us choose if we want to answer them when we get to the guy asking them? :/

Well, bought this game despite not playing much of the first two games. Own them on PC but never got into them. Seems ok so far. Think I am going to focus on the main quest and if I am still interested get side tracked on other missions. It would be nice if the series had better combat but the interactions are fantastic. Look forward to the rest of the game. I will provide more detailed impressions when no one cares about them (in a few weeks)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
On means it'll ask you questions later on so you can pick the choices you made in 2. Off means it'll just pick it's own choices for you.
Oh dammit. I chose off because I thought On would choose a default world state for you. Maybe I should restart. Only a couple hours in.

Majukun

I fought a few wraiths and none of them dropped emerald dust. One or two didn't drop anything.

Where do I find more?

both the quartermaster on nilfgaardian camp and the blacksmith dwarf in the first village sell it,but for an high price (572 the quartermaster,524 the dwarf)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom