• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picking this up tomorrow...for those that are far into it, or completed it...how much gear is there to find? This game coming out during the week my BAR exam review class started is such a cruel joke.

owlbeak

No you don't. I made the Cat school armour without any witcher armour.

It's just when you go for the upgraded versions of the base armour that you need it as far as I can tell.
Oh really? Well, then! I guess I was mistaken. That's good to know.

Ah, good to know! Thanks for the heads up. I got rid of mine but luckily just sold it, didn't dismantle it. I should be able to just re-buy it from the merchants I sold it to I'm hoping.
I've heard the merchant's stock resets once you exit out, but I hope not! Best of luck! :D

Witcher 3 must be popular on GAF

witcher3rej9c.png

Thread is on page 192 and the game was released 2 days ago. I'd tend to agree.

TheFatMan

I feel like I'm having really bad luck with armor. Most of my armor is level 7-8 and I'm level 12. On the other hand I'm wielding two bad ass Relic level swords that put the hurting on the bad guys. My steel sword has higher dps than my silver one even!

I LOVE the off the beaten path sidequests here. While I loved DAI and it was my personal GOTY last year, the sidequests in that were...well, admittedly non-existent to an extent. Here you have actual conversations, each quest feels unique in its circumstances, actual dialogue options/cinematic conversations, moral choices...

THIS is how you fucking do sidequests.

ironcreed

Banned
Agreed. I have yet to feel like anyone's SweetFX coloring changes look good though.

It reminds me of trying to sort through ENB profiles for Skyrim and feeling like 99% of them have just awful, awful changes to the color scheme that somehow people think look good.

Indeed. I think some honestly wanted it to have that dull, washed out look all the time. No thanks. As it is, the world constantly drips atmosphere and gives you a variety of moods with it's ever changing lighting and color scheme. It's amazing.

pahamrick

I LOVE the off the beaten path sidequests here. While I loved DAI and it was my personal GOTY last year, the sidequests in that were...well, admittedly non-existent to an extent. Here you have actual conversations, each quest feels unique in its circumstances, actual dialogue options/cinematic conversations, moral choices...

I love the fact that a seemingly random sidequest off a notice board leads you to (Pretty big character spoiler, level 6-7 side quest)
Letho................

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member

You reckon Bioware would be inspired/influenced to take a few design notes on their side quests with this game for the next chapter? I sure hope they do, I'd rather that than close the million fade rifts:p

Serrato

Yes! Even if it's just ''Kill X Monster'' or go fetch me ''X Herbs'', since there is a context and actual characters it makes it just so... so better.

I love the fact that a seemingly random sidequest off a notice board leads you to (Pretty big character spoiler, level 6-7 side quest)
Letho................

Which Notice Board? I was looking for a new quest to do :p

Iceternal

Indeed. I think some honestly wanted it to have that dull, washed out look all the time. No thanks. As it is, the world constantly drips atmosphere and gives you a variety of moods with it's ever changing lighting and color scheme. It's amazing.

Thing is that "dull and washed out look" is how it's always looked until very recently.

Just watch all the CG trailers again, they're very grim and grey.

It's like they recently decided to change the artstyle to make it look Fantasy-like, whereas it was very grimdark before that.

ironcreed

Banned

Yep. Many branch off into their own stories and then end up being layered into some of the main quests as well. The Wild Hunt is just the best in the business at this point in terms of writing, quest structure and world building. No question about it.

pahamrick

Yes! Even if it's just ''Kill X Monster'' or go fetch me ''X Herbs'', since there is a context and actual characters it makes it just so... so better.

Which Notice Board? I was looking for a new quest to do :p

Can't remember exact which, it's in Velen. The quest itself is
to clear out a woman's manor of monsters, you have to speak to a woman (Dolores, I think her name was. Probably misremebering) which sends you to the manor.

You reckon Bioware would be inspired/influenced to take a few design notes on their side quests with this game for the next chapter? I sure hope they do, I'd rather that than close the million fade rifts:p

Well, CDPR took a lot of influence for Witcher 2 (and I would imagine 3) from Mass Effect1/2 and KOTOR's side quest structure/quality so it's full circle.

ChanMan

Picking this up tomorrow...for those that are far into it, or completed it...how much gear is there to find? This game coming out during the week my BAR exam review class started is such a cruel joke.

There is a decent amount of gear to be found and to craft different types of swords as well, can't speak too much on it as I just got to the second area but you won't be disappointed.

Serrato

Can't remember exact which, it's in Velen. The quest itself is
to clear out a woman's manor of monsters, you have to speak to a woman (Dolores, I think her name was. Probably misremebering) which sends you to the manor.

Weird... I did that quest. Oh well.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Can the poisonous gas be removed from picking the mushrooms or puffballs?

Just launch an Igni or Aard at it to make it temporarily go away. (Igni causes big explosion with poison btw, good for killing groups)

KorrZ

That's one of my favorite things about this game. I love that I can just go through my quest log and for the most part, there isn't a distinction between "I'm doing side quests" or "I'm doing main quests" it's all just questing and they have the same level of care and craft put into them.

Ricker

Am I missing something? I have never seen a finishing move, even when I have it on auto. I have almost done with White Orchard. On PS4.

The monsters by the beach should give you at least one...I split one of them in half vertically at some point lol...(maybe you need the good type sword...? right one for beasts,left one for humans ? )

Man, I really want to find the song that plays in the area outside of
Novigrad, where the horse racing part is. The music in that field before the horse racing area is really good.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Just launch an Igni or Aard at it to make it temporarily go away. (Igni causes big explosion with poison btw, good for killing groups)

Ok thanks, didn't think to try Aard. Had been using Igni but at the place I'm fighting Wraiths so it was getting a bit mad with too much explosions.

ironcreed

Banned
Thing is that "dull and washed out look" is how it's always looked until very recently.

Just watch all the CG trailers again, they're very grim and grey.

It's like they recently decided to change the artstyle to make it look Fantasy-like, whereas it was very grimdark before that.

But under certain conditions it still has that look. I was actually doing the quest with Johnny last night, and when I first arrived at Crookback Bog, it was bright, sunny and colorful. But before too long it became overcast, the day grew a bit darker in the afternoon and it looked almost exactly like the footage they gave us of that area months ago. That look is still here, but it just changes with dynamic weather and the day/night cycle. Which is as it should be.

They are not side quests, they are all just quests. There happens to be a few prolonged, interwoven quest lines that form an over arching narrative but defining the abundance of interesting and fun missions as sidequests is doing them a disservice.

rashbeep

Banned
Agreed. I have yet to feel like anyone's SweetFX coloring changes look good though.

It reminds me of trying to sort through ENB profiles for Skyrim and feeling like 99% of them have just awful, awful changes to the color scheme that somehow people think look good.

Tell me about it. God forbid a game uses a realistic colour palette for once.

Does anyone have a Witcher 3 save file (PC version) that they could upload somewhere? I bought the game, but really don't want to start playing the beginning since I am still midway through Witcher 2 (don't want to see story spoilers or anything like that until I finish that game). But I DO want to test how the game runs on my computer in one of the more open areas.

Grady

I stumbled across a graveyard and
got attacked by a wraith 4 levels higher than me. After i got him down to half health he disappeared. I was like, wtf. Oh well and activated the sign of power. Looked around and blasted open the church door with my telekinetic power, went downstairs and found a treasure. The wraith reappeared with half health and i killed him. Found a nice sword. Things like this me happy. This wasnt a side quest or anything, just a random encounter that felt well thought out. So goooood.

weirdly though I am interested in doing another run through of DA:I after this game. Its really made me long for rpgs lol

The monsters by the beach should give you at least one...I split one of them in half vertically at some point lol...(maybe you need the good type sword...? right one for beasts,left one for humans ? )

Yeah I have been killing them on at least four occations, but no finishers. And using right type of sword, it's not that.

dogpowerd

Banned
This game is frustrating me. The world building is as good as anything I have seen in video games and I want to see it all but the way it controls is so god awful that playing it feels like a chore. I hope that by the time The Witcher 4 goes into development Cd Projekt Red puts more time and effort into their core mechanics.

Grady

They are not side quests, they are all just quests. There happens to be a few prolonged, interwoven quest lines that form an over arching narrative but defining the abundance of interesting and fun missions as sidequests is doing them a disservice.

They are definitely side quests. They pop up under secondary quests. Meaning optional, things you complete on the side. Hence the term side quest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom