• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedAssedApe

Banned
the thing i don't like about the movement is that geralt feels like he's sliding around all the time which results in me overshooting items or things i want to interact with because he's sliding past it like i was in a full on run instead of just a casual jog.

it makes picking up things a chore, especially if i just want to try and quickly pick up all the herbs in an area. i have to make a concerted effort to carefully move the analog stick on ps4 to make sure i'm not sliding past an object. otherwise i don't get the button prompt :\

Yes, it is really like a painting just about everywhere you go and that is no exaggeration.

17331639204_62f5665fcd_o.jpg

17925712611_ef380eb9fe_o.jpg

17823773106_5e9f9ab92a_o.jpg

There are a lot of scenes that look like they really would exist in paintings

I'm already starting to get annoyed at this game. Killed what I assume is the first boss, that was a pain in the ass considering dodging, rolling or parrying never worked. No idea how the parry works or whether it is ineffective against certain enemies, which would've been a good thing to put in the tutorial if it doesn't. Nearly lost half my health falling about 10 feet, health takes a while to replenish so combat usually devolves into running away for ten seconds, Sign usage basically turns into using the shield over and over because none of the evasive maneuvers work properly.

Not exactly a positive experience for my first Witcher game. Hopefully it'll get better.

I dont mean this to be mean at all, but judging by your description of how you're fighting it sounds like you just don't really know how to play the game yet. You shouldn't be just running away and spamming shield

I dont mean this to be mean at all, but judging by your description of how you're fighting it sounds like you just don't really know how to play the game yet. You shouldn'tbe just running away and spamming shield

Well then somebody teach me how to dodge away from attacks that have too long of a range to dodge.

Well apparently not but rolling or dodging didn't work either so I was stuck using the Shield Sign instead of something actually interesting.

That's a viable strategy, but dodging totally works against it. I was using Aard the whole time to get hits in.

Well then somebody teach me how to dodge away from attacks that have too long of a range to dodge.

It sounds like you're trying to dodge backwards. Don't do that.

TheRed

I don't know about the easier difficulties but I love the combat on Death March, enemies flank and sandwich you into hits from both sides if you're not careful, then you're dead. It's really engaging to me, I make use of everything I can think of to win fights because I'm aware of how much damage I will take from a hit. Like in this quest in novigrad I just did , you have to fight like 4 lvl 12 guys in a house, I threw the flashbang bomb and blinded then and went to town hitting them, then when they started to recover I set them all on fire with my stream of igni, really satisfying to me. Sad so many people don't like it as much as I am.

Sorian

Banned

For big beasties you should be rolling instead of dodging. You also usually shouldn't be moving away from things to get out of the way of attacks, you should be dodging/rolling to the flank.

Sometimes in some water areas, if I'm underwater and use the witcher sense, my FPS tanks (to like 10 FPS). It's only in some patches of water though. Anyone else had this? Not a huge issue for me but just wondering.

Its of average quality. Perfect way to describe it.
I am making a video of me inputing the actions on the controller and then how long it takes Geralt to react. Plus how long it takes for him to switch animations when say doing a heavy attack and then dive rolling out of the way. Its pretty shocking. For me it feels like I am playing a character under water or something.

That to me is mediocre. To others its heavy and slower paced and methodical but thats just how I feel.

This is my biggest complaint about the game so far. Controlling Geralt feels really sluggish and unresponsive sometimes. Once I accidentally ran off a cliff to my death because he did not stop running when I did. Sometimes he just darts forward much further than I ever intended....

the thing i don't like about the movement is that geralt feels like he's sliding around all the time which results in me overshooting items or things i want to interact with because he's sliding past it like i was in a full on run instead of just a casual jog.

it makes picking up things a chore, especially if i just want to try and quickly pick up all the herbs in an area. i have to make a concerted effort to carefully move the analog stick on ps4 to make sure i'm not sliding past an object. otherwise i don't get the button prompt :\

Ahhh... I'm not the only one then.

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
ok......

Thats how you feel, perfect, doesnt make the gameplay mediocre. if You dont like it is fine, but others feels is great given past Witcher games, but if my opinion anyway, I just feel is insulting calling it mediocre and people havent noticed this because they still in the honeymoon period, instead of you just saying that You dont like it.

Well I am judging it by quantifiable measures.
-Its slow
-Buttons inputs don't immediately register
-You lock on to guys within a certain distance automatically which makes basic maneuvering very difficult
- You can't take advantage of the environment because of the movement issues
- Your animation cycles have to be almost completed before another button input can be registered.

Those are all really bad.

Gaz_RB

Haha just had a weird bug where everything except Geralt was DoF'd. It was kind of cool but also unplayable. A restart fixed it.

ironcreed

Banned
my armor is lame compared to everyoen elses. like a big baggy shirt.

i just hope the grifin armor is good

Don't feel bad. I have been rolling in gold boots, brown gloves, pants with one green leg, one blue leg and silver plates on the front and a mustard and brown baggy shirt that has a purple belt. LOL, time to end that. Even if I have to wear something with lower stats for awhile.

Certinty

How do I check if the patch is installed on the Xbox One?

Game is running poorly at times, doesn't look great and has a lot of noticeable pop-in.

Dresden

Red mutagens are oddly rare. Neckers and endregas drop blue and green frequently, but not red.

I don't know about the easier difficulties but I love the combat on Death March, enemies flank and sandwich you into hits from both sides if you're not careful, then you're dead. It's really engaging to me, I make use of everything I can think of to win fights because I'm aware of how much damage I will take from a hit. Like in this quest in novigrad I just did , you have to fight like 4 lvl 12 guys in a house, I threw the flashbang bomb and blinded then and went to town hitting them, then when they started to recover I set them all on fire with my stream of igni, really satisfying to me. Sad so many people don't like it as much as I am.

I'm on death march and I just use Aard sweep once, use the finisher while they're on the ground, rinse and repeat. Sweep also only uses up 50 stamina, so you can nearly chain it with decent stamina regen.

I really need to respec.

Maybe the Bloodborne muscle memory is too deep.

Probably. Get used to rolling or dodging twice in a row, especially against bigger monsters. Not sure if there's any i-frames in dodging here.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I'm already starting to get annoyed at this game. Killed what I assume is the first boss, that was a pain in the ass considering dodging, rolling or parrying never worked. No idea how the parry works or whether it is ineffective against certain enemies, which would've been a good thing to put in the tutorial if it doesn't. Nearly lost half my health falling about 10 feet, health takes a while to replenish so combat usually devolves into running away for ten seconds, Sign usage basically turns into using the shield over and over because none of the evasive maneuvers work properly.

Not exactly a positive experience for my first Witcher game. Hopefully it'll get better.

not sure where you fell 10 feet. but you need to roll coming off some cliffs to reduce or eliminate fall damage. fight was pretty straight forward though. quen, get a few hits in and roll away.you could probably dodge too but you'd need better timing so rolling was just safer for me. try and get behind it for extra damage. shoot it out of the sky with crossbow, user thunderbolt potion for more damage. etc.

i did die the first couple of times because i tried to leroy jenkins it. dunno what to say about your bb platinum. this boss was a lot less scary than any of those in bb :)

With the griffin fight I found roll to be easier than dodge.
Use the crossbow to stun it when it dive bombs you and get a few quick attacks in.
When heading towards you on ground use Aard to stun it.
Rinse repeat.

Caja 117

Well I am judging it by quantifiable measures.
-Its slow
-Buttons inputs don't immediately register
-You lock on to guys within a certain distance automatically which makes basic maneuvering very difficult
- You can't take advantage of the environment because of the movement issues
- Your animation cycles have to be almost completed before another button input can be registered.

Those are all really bad.

What Platform you are?, I mean I haven't fought in a big battle yet, probably 3 or 4 enemies at once so far, an It feels like a progression from Witcher 2 combat with some tweaks. But I havent noticed any input lag and the automatic lock havent happened to me.

I dont think i get your 4th point and 5th havent bother me so far.

Exentryk

So, around 11 hours - level 2 - White Orchard. Just finished my first contract battle with
Noonwraith
. And, I really enjoyed the whole build up and the actual fight. Nice effects, nice sound design - overall a well done fight! I am really looking forward to more of these contracts now :D

Nbz

Alright! Just got to Velen. The next story quest is recommended level 5, but I'm only 4 atm. I'm a little afraid of wondering about the overworld though as I'm not sure how much content I'll be able to do at level 4. Anyone have tips for leveling up in Velen?

Alright! Just got to Velen. The next story quest is recommended level 5, but I'm only 4 atm. I'm a little afraid of wondering about the overworld though as I'm not sure how much content I'll be able to do at level 4. Anyone have tips for leveling up in Velen?

Level 5 should be fine for you. Check the recommended level on the quest screen. If it's green you're good to go. I was doing level 6 quests at level 3 when I first got to Velen.

Newman96

Just finished Return to Croockback Bog

I'm don't think it ended well. Red Baron hanged himself out of grief, the curse was a trap and there was no way of saving the life of his wife. I decided to free the spirit which saved the orphans but damned the Baron's life at that moment. I could sympathise with every character involved in this quest ie; THe Baron, the murdered Dyrad, Anna and her daughter. The Red Baron was genuinely sorry for what he did. He was a cool dude when he's all sobered up.

Man the consequences really hit hard. I feel bad

I really loved this quest, The Baron is such a great character. I managed to get the 'good' ending for it and he lived and took Anna to a healer to try and fix her mind as such. He was horrible towards her once upon a time but I think he genuinely had changed. He was good to Ciri too and I thought that showed he wasn't all bad.

ironcreed

Banned
I think I am going to venture out to Skellige for the first time today and explore the sea a bit. Just go on a tour and see what I can find.
Hopefully a sea monster.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Just did the tree mission with the soul. I saved him and he became Black Beauty lol. I tried riding him.

Anyone ventured to the tree over on the mountain? Worth heading over?

Chariot

I really loved this quest, The Baron is such a great character. I managed to get the 'good' ending for it and he lived and took Anna to a healer to try and fix her mind as such. He was horrible towards her once upon a time but I think he genuinely had changed. He was good to Ciri too and I thought that showed he wasn't all bad.
Yeah and don't forget that he kept the little girl in the castle too, as well as what ever it is the his righthand man had in the hand in the last cutscene.

Kaversmed

I asked this question earlier but never got an answer - what's the relation between the magic, master, witcher and relic items? Is it the rarity of the items? If so, what's the order? :)

edit: yaaay I'm a member! :D

Nbz

Level 5 should be fine for you. Check the recommended level on the quest screen. If it's green you're good to go. I was doing level 6 quests at level 3 when I first got to Velen.

Alright cool. Was wondering how much that recommended level thing actually mattered

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
What Platform you are?, I mean I haven't fought in a big battle yet, probably 3 or 4 enemies at once so far, an It feels like a progression from Witcher 2 combat with some tweaks. But I havent noticed any input lag and the automatic lock havent happened to me.

I dont think i get your 4th point and 5th havent bother me so far.

PS4.
I bet its a lot better on PC.

Your early. Wait till you start fighting more difficult enemies.

Beefy

Just finished exploring all of Velen, all question marks, hidden treasues and side quests etc unlocked. Now to actually do some quests.

Kaversmed

I'm playing on the blood and bones difficulty and while I was level 4 I tried the level 6 main quest in Velen called
Baron
, and that was actually pretty damn hard! Especially the fight with the
botchling and the wraits

SinSilla

I'll give it another try. Maybe the Bloodborne muscle memory is too deep.

This is my first Witcher game and for me it feels quite different to other rpgs. It was relatively hard to get used to the pacing of fights and the mechanics involved. It's more complex than i would have thought.

Use your crossbow, shield, stun and dont try to get too many Hits in at once. Also use roll instead of Dodge because of its reach. Parry is only for human enemy's, and even then not in every Situation.

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
What the input responsiveness? I actually tought that you were on PC

No I'm on PS4 like I said but I imagine that the lag is coming from frames dropping at times. That would be rectified by the PC.
When I say responsiveness I mean the time between pressing the button on the controller to your character actually doing something. Its known as input lag

I'm playing on the blood and bones difficulty and while I was level 4 I tried the level 6 main quest in Velen called
Baron
, and that was actually pretty damn hard! Especially the fight with the
botchling and the wraits

I'm on the same difficulty. It definitely is really hard, but they've all been doable. I made the mistake of trying out a level 10 quest at level 4 and got my ass handed to me. I couldn't even see my swings dealing damage.

RedAssedApe

Banned
This is my biggest complaint about the game so far. Controlling Geralt feels really sluggish and unresponsive sometimes. Once I accidentally ran off a cliff to my death because he did not stop running when I did. Sometimes he just darts forward much further than I ever intended....

Ahhh... I'm not the only one then.

with all the time and work you can tell that they put into the game, geralt's movement just often feels like jank to me.

it bugs me in games when there are animations that cant be interrupted. like i'll be running towards my horse and imagine myself gracefully hopping on and then riding towards the sunset. nope i need to wait for geralt to do his little intertia skid before i can press X to interact. they could probably easily fix this by only doing that if you're on a full on sprint. versus you currently having to move your stick like you're playing a stealth game to make sure that geralt isn't sliding around all over the place when you're just walking through a field picking up herbs.

do pc users have this issue and if so, does 1.03 help at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom