• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm...is my crossbow bugged? I switched for a better one and when pressing RB ( default button), nothing happens. Same if I switch back to the first one.

Kard8p3

reposting some questions from last night/a few pages ago

I have a few questions regarding hairstyles.

1. If I just choose a hairstyle and leave my beard alone, will it continue to grow?
2. Is there an option to shave my beard and have it re-grow? or only other beard options that don't change?
3. I'm assuming there is an option to go back to default?

Reading through Twitter and the thread, seen a number of people say they're not enjoying the combat. For those who don't, just wanted to chime in on how I approach it and I've been having a lot of fun:

-Be patient
-Know each enemy's weaknesses
-Don't get greedy and spam sword attacks, hit one strike, two strikes then back away
-Remember that dodging doesn't use stamina while rolling does
-Dodge smaller enemies to get quick hits in, rolling moves you too far away
-Roll away from larger enemies that have a long reach or large AOE attacks
-Use signs liberally
-Don't be afraid to experiment with signs, axii is good for getting quick hits in then backing away
-Run from a battle if odds are stacked against you, nothing wrong with that
-Don't be afraid to liberally use consumables to regain health while fighting

This is pretty much how I've bee playing and I've been having a blast.

No I'm on PS4 like I said but I imagine that the lag is coming from frames dropping at times. That would be rectified by the PC.
When I say responsiveness I mean the time between pressing the button on the controller to your character actually doing something. Its known as input lag

Are you talking about the

1) Lag from you pressing a button to Geralt starting to do something

or

2) Lag from you pressing a button to outcome of intended action

Caja 117

No I'm on PS4 like I said but I imagine that the lag is coming from frames dropping at times. That would be rectified by the PC.
When I say responsiveness I mean the time between pressing the button on the controller to your character actually doing something. Its known as input lag

Yeah I know, input lag. I still didnt get what you meant by taking advantage of the Eviorement

pWz4bJQh.jpg

The density of the forests is incredible.

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
with all the time and work you can tell that they put into the game, geralt's movement just often feels like jank to me.

it bugs me in games when there are animations that cant be interrupted. like i'll be running towards my horse and imagine myself gracefully hopping on and then riding towards the sunset. nope i need to wait for geralt to do his little intertia skid before i can press X to interact. they could probably easily fix this by only doing that if you're on a full on sprint. versus you currently having to move your stick like you're playing a stealth game to make sure that geralt isn't sliding around all over the place when you're just walking through a field picking up herbs.

do pc users have this issue and if so, does 1.03 help at all?

If you just mess around with slowly pushing on the thumb stick and seeing how much force it takes for Geralt to actually move and then how long it takes for him to change directions when moving its pretty crazy.

Are you talking about the

1) Lag from you pressing a button to Geralt starting to do something

or

2) Lag from you pressing a button to outcome of intended action

Both.
There is definite input lag no question but secondly because the game requires you to finish most animations before beginning another your second button press is going to feel extremely delayed.

Yeah I know, input lag. I still didnt get what you meant by taking advantage of the Eviorement

Your early in the game but later there are environmental things you can take advantage of.
Exploding barrels, Gas pockets.

To use them effectively means positioning yourself out of the blast radius while getting the enemy in that radius.
Because the general movement and targeting is so bad taking advantage of these "traps" is a huge pain.

george_us

looks like everyone is enjoying this game. would you guys say this game is so far game of the year?
I'm enjoying it quite a bit but it's not in the same stratosphere as Bloodborne in my eyes. Combat and movement are my biggest areas of contention, and it would be enough for me to swear off the game completely if it weren't for the phenomenal quests. Seriously, if the quests weren't so incredibly well written, I would have sworn off the game in the first two or three hours. Other problems I have are Geralt's awful VO, quests that focus on using Witcher senses, and the repetitive environments. Witcher 3 has the same problem most open world games have in that they try to cram so many features in that none of them have the polish they deserve and thus, none of them are all that fun.

I'd personally give it a 7 or an 8 solely on the back of its quest design and technical merits.

nib95

Banned
Is Normal difficulty the "Story and Sword" one?

I'd go with the one above it if you're a completionist (Eg collect everything you can, do as many side quests as possible etc) and Story and Sword if you mainly focus on the main story. Otherwise you get over levelled far too quickly and the challenge is lost.

Staf

Just played two of the best quests i've ever played in an RPG. Family matter and tower of mice. Holy freaking hell where they emotional, especially the former.

Tacitus_

Probably. Get used to rolling or dodging twice in a row, especially against bigger monsters. Not sure if there's any i-frames in dodging here.

There aren't. You can spec into damage reduction while dodging (100% with 5 points), but I'm not sure when exactly it applies as I've gotten smacked around with it more often than not.

T_Exige

Played a bit today, I reached lv2 and trying all ? in White Orchard.
This game is going to take ages to complete and I love that :)

ebevan91

I really loved this quest, The Baron is such a great character. I managed to get the 'good' ending for it and he lived and took Anna to a healer to try and fix her mind as such. He was horrible towards her once upon a time but I think he genuinely had changed. He was good to Ciri too and I thought that showed he wasn't all bad.

I got the same ending as you.

The only thing really bothering me about this game is the Menus. They are slow and cumbersome. I understand they can't change the UI but at least speed up the process so it doesn't feel like a chore.

JeffG

Reading through Twitter and the thread, seen a number of people say they're not enjoying the combat. For those who don't, just wanted to chime in on how I approach it and I've been having a lot of fun:

-Be patient
-Know each enemy's weaknesses
-Don't get greedy and spam sword attacks, hit one strike, two strikes then back away
-Remember that dodging doesn't use stamina while rolling does
-Dodge smaller enemies to get quick hits in, rolling moves you too far away
-Roll away from larger enemies that have a long reach or large AOE attacks
-Use signs liberally
-Don't be afraid to experiment with signs, axii is good for getting quick hits in then backing away
-Run from a battle if odds are stacked against you, nothing wrong with that
-Don't be afraid to liberally use consumables to regain health while fighting

This is pretty much how I've bee playing and I've been having a blast.
Also, try changing up fast/Heavy attack.

I put all my points in fast but was having some issues with certain monsters, but heavy attacks worked wonders.

Played a bit today, I reached lv2 and trying all ? in White Orchard.

I did the same thing, but maybe take some advice from me: turn those off on your map. It becomes really distracting once you're out of the prologue area and I found myself enjoying stumbling on them much more than actively hunting them out. I'll probably turn them back on once I'm farther in the game to see what I missed.

Verger

Banned
I only played the Witcher 2 once. If I had a problem with that game it was too long for me to justify multiple playthroughs even with new content through those.

That said I'm almost happy with my Witcher 2 storyline/progression saved. Went down Roche's path and made sure that he had his revenge. The only thing I sort of wish I had done differently is let Letho live.

Though at the time, I fought him not really because of what he did as a "Kingslayer" (especially since it'd be hypocritical given my own actions) or even as a servant of Nilfgaard (especially since his story made clear he was doing it for the good of Witcher's). I sort of fought him more along the lines of thinking it was a necessary battle to see "which one of us really was better", like an old Wild-West standoff, and in that regard it was satisfying. But for a Witcher 3 playthrough, I'm not sure.

Is there a way to alter your save file when starting Witcher 3? Or do you have to create a new progression from scratch? It was just that one thing...

Mystic654

I am at the point of picking choices from The Witcher 2. What choices are the best to use for The Witcher 3? It's been awhile since I played The Witcher 2, I only vaguely remember the game.

This is in no way meant to be an insult but this game strongly reminds me of the first Fable. The art style, the combat, the magic, the creatures, the wooden houses, the peasants, etc. The Witcher 3 is what I expected the first Fable to be when it was first announced by Peter Molyneux, and although it was never as vast and as expansive as everyone was led to believe it would be it was still a great game. The Witcher 3 in 2015 delivers on the promises that Peter Molyneux made about Fable in 2001.

Kazuhira

I´m still in the first part of the game checking every point of interest,sidequest etc in the map,i didn´t even kill the griffin yet.
I need to get my shit together and play more often,this game is gonna take a while..

Tacitus_

I am at the point of picking choices from The Witcher 2. What choices are the best to use for The Witcher 3? It's been awhile since I played The Witcher 2, I only vaguely remember the game.

The point is, there rarely are "best" choices. There are just choices and consequences.

Anyone know how fix the bug for The Apiarian Phantom contract? It's supposed to open the basement doors for me, as I was given a key, but they don't seem to open.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got my first red mutagen, that's 20% AP right there!

Much later in the game, I realized that I didn't get a noonwraith mutagen. Is that a bug or just chance? Are there other noonwraiths outside of that particular quest?

Need a fucking weapon smith so I can have full ursine armor (basic). I'm level 18 so I can't do the enhanced (still gotta find, know where it is), superior and master versions (already have these diagrams).

Anybody know where a decent weaponsmith is?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
That Temeria armor set is just not showing up on this Merchant. It's the very first guy you save right? One standing slightly outside of the village near the signpost? He's not nothing for me. =/

where can I rest on blood and bones difficulty? I don't want to keep eating food to heal if I'm not in battle.

You can't regenerate health by resting in Blood and Bones difficulty. My best advice is either get a Swallow potion which works like a powerful water or pick up the Sun and the Stars ability. Swallow works great though if you don't want to take an ability point. Every time you run out of swallow, just meditate and you'll restock your swallow potion using any alcohol you have on you. I use Swallow for passive regen outside of fights, and food for during fights, since Swallow stops working if you get hit.

Caja 117

Your early in the game but later there are environmental things you can take advantage of.
Exploding barrels, Gas pockets.

To use them effectively means positioning yourself out of the blast radius while getting the enemy in that radius.
Because the general movement and targeting is so bad taking advantage of these "traps" is a huge pain.

I have actually come across them, but havent try it yet, I usually dont in any game to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom