• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.
So in the first area I basically just ran through the main quest line and killed the Griffin without doing any side quests. Are most of you sticking around that area to level up, or is it ok to proceed with the main story?

Any particular side quest recommendations in White Orchard?

Also, the Griffin fight was awesome.

I posted this last night but no one answered: is there a way to find where certain alchemy ingredients are at? Seeing all those leaves on the minimap doesn't help. I'm trying to make a bomb for the griffin fight and I have no idea where to find saltpeter and the other thing.
Anyone?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Disabling subtitles also prevents you from seeing translations for Nilfgaardian and other fictional languages. I don't like seeing dialogue all over the screen but not being able to understand some people might be worse.
That is an incredibly silly over site. Ugh

KorrZ

So in the first area I basically just ran through the main quest line and killed the Griffin without doing any side quests. Are most of you sticking around that area to level up, or is it ok to proceed with the main story?

I've been doing nothing but side quests so far, they've all been pretty great so far.

"Devil by the Well" is definitely the best side quest so far though. You can find it
in the main village on the notice board

Trickster

So...I have had the game crash twice now, both in a way I've never seen a game crash before. Game screen just freezes, while sound is still playing. And nothing I do will shut the game down. Have had to reset my pc both times.

Anyone have had this issue and found a solution?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Got my first crash... playin cards, lol. I was about to win too!

Seriously, I really hope they add a toggle to turn off auto center on the horse. It is really annoying as is.

Radec

How many of you have received your Collector's Editions? I must say, that the painting quality is one of the worst I have seen on a product this big and expensive. I get that you mostly use airbrush to cover up most of the surface of statues this big, but the details especially on Geralt's face are horrible.

How does your Geralt of Rivia look like? Is he missing eyes and painted with a one inch brush like mine?
0jIPs7W.jpg

Every other item in the Collector's Edition is of the highest quality, like the awesome artbook and the metal pendant.

damn.

With how expensive that collector's edition .. I don't even.

ZanDatsu

I'm a few hours in, taking my time and trying to explore around as much as possible. I'm enjoying it and haven't yet got the feeling I've been doing busywork, the sidequests seem somewhat meaningful and aren't overly generic. I've got a question though: what's with the question marks on the map? I know what they are, I mean why are they appearing, just telling me where every single location worth exploring can be found. Do they just appear on the map automatically or am I doing something to make them appear? Do they really show me every area of the open world that's worth checking out or are there things out there not given away by the question marks? I know I can turn them off, but that feels a little to extreme. It's just with them all right there it feels like the exploration part of the open world has been somewhat neutered.

Barzul

So...I have had the game crash twice now, both in a way I've never seen a game crash before. Game screen just freezes, while sound is still playing. And nothing I do will shut the game down. Have had to reset my pc both times.

This has happened to me too, twice! Weird coincidence.

OmegaDL50

3 hours in and the game plays and looks wonderful. I just did the two early Notice board quests (
The Well Devil, and finding that guys brother
), picked a bunch of plants, and just basically wandering around and finding things to do without trying to avoid the main quest as long as I possibly can.

I do have an issue with the game though

Is there a way to turn off that annoying controller prompt.

Gamepad Detected.
Controls changed

Keyboard and Mouse Detected
Controls changed

Gamepad Detected.
Controls changed

Controls changed

I'm getting this pop up like every 20 seconds.

I don't need to be continuously reminded what controller I'm using, no other game does this,

Other than that minor issue, everything is great.

Caja 117

why buy both?
The only reason I got disc version and xbox one version was the collectors edition, in fact the collectors edition makes it easier to get a retail version full refund, as the CE brings a retail version inside apart from the steel case, I will wait on Digital Foundry to see how much difference there is with ps4 and Xb1.

As soneone who finished twice Witcher 2, witcher 3 feels huge and overwhelming, I like this, but I dont even know if Im ever finishing this game! For those who played Witcher 2 and still debating if they are getting this, bottom line if you liked Witcher 2 you like this, di far combat seems a small upgrade from 2, everything else looks like a bit Improvrment, except the letter fonts, hopeffully CDPR listen.

SpaceHorror

The Devil By The Well contract you get from the notice board is really cool.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Utterly adoring this game.

w21kbpoa.png

I'm a few hours in, taking my time and trying to explore around as much as possible. I'm enjoying it and haven't yet got the feeling I've been doing busywork, the sidequests seem somewhat meaningful and aren't overly generic. I've got a question though: what's with the question marks on the map? I know what they are, I mean why are they appearing, just telling me where every single location worth exploring can be found. Do they just appear on the map automatically or am I doing something to make them appear? Do they really show me every area of the open world that's worth checking out or are there things out there not given away by the question marks? I know I can turn them off, but that feels a little to extreme. It's just with them all right there it feels like the exploration part of the open world has been somewhat neutered.

I'm pretty sure you can turn them off, I think. Basically the way it works is that ? are points of interest. They could be a quest, stash, super monster, bandit camp, etc. They're triggered by checking a notice board. The notices on the board aren't necessarily tied to the ?, that's just how the game system works; check notice board = map populated by ? points of interest.

In White Orchard there's only one town, thus one notice board, so the whole map populates. Once you get to the actual open worlds there's several towns and thus numerous notice boards. You can discover places before activating the point of interest from the board.

I'm about to pick the game up, but I have a feeling I'll share the same sentiment. As much as I love RPGs, I get overwhelmed when there are too many types of items, crafting etc. Sort of gets in the way IMO.

Really on the fence. I was so hyped for the game but it sort of fell off for some reason. I should stop thinking about it and just go get it.
If you get it get it physical so you an trade in if you don't like it, I eish I would've did that but the 7pm unlock and digital discount pushed me over.

Feeroper

The only reason I got disc version and xbox one version was the collectors edition, in fact the collectors edition makes it easier to get a retail version full refund, as the CE brings a retail version inside apart from the steel case, I will wait on Digital Foundry to see how much difference there is with ps4 and Xb1.

As soneone who finished twice Witcher 2, witcher 3 feels huge and overwhelming, I like this, but I dont even know if Im ever finishing this game! For those who played Witcher 2 and still debating if they are getting this, bottom line if you liked Witcher 2 you like this, di far combat seems a small upgrade from 2, everything else looks like a bit Improvrment, except the letter fonts, hopeffully CDPR listen.

Did you get a chance to play both versions for consoles? If so what version performed better in terms of frame rate? Or were they both the same? I haven't heard a lot about the X1 version yet.

The bottom of the Statue has a proud stamp: Sculpted by www.udock.eu
I don't know who to blame. They might have done the sculpting, but who painted it? On their website they do announce that they have sulpted and also manufactured them: http://www.udock.eu/the-witcher-3-w...ototype-designed-and-manufactured-by-udock-2/

There would prpbably be another name also if there was someone doing the painting, so Im pretty sure its them who to blame.
Hope this gets a huge backlash and have to make the figures again. Theres not that many collectors editions so they need to man up, and pay for the blame. Again the w2 statues situation got reolved, lets hope its the same this time.

This is the statue that a buddy of mine got in his CE (sorry for pic quality)

Vdqwcjg.jpg

ak4iI1b.jpg

That doesnt look that bad, but maybe is the quality of the pic not showing the details what makes it good.

Yep, have had two hard locks and one CTD on PC.

Audioboxer

Ah hah, postman came late. Been playing for the past half hour.

Do I get to select choices for the previous games? Well, I know I do, but when? Just passed the first meeting with the griffin (cutscene battle). Hoping I haven't turned the option off somehow.

Anyone know? I've just started quests in the first village (the village we seen in the YouTubers footage - Where the blacksmith with the burned down building is).

I'll keep going, but in a game this size I don't want to have to restart because I forgot to turn an option on. Cheers

Gbraga

Does the auto pilot the waypoint thing still works with the mini-map off? That could be helpful to get to the ? event markers without having to pause the game a million times to make sure you're in the right place.

Anyone know? I've just started quests in the first village (the village we seen in the YouTubers footage - Where the blacksmith with the burned down building is).

I'll keep going, but in a game this size I don't want to have to restart because I forgot to turn an option on. Cheers

You do that before the game even starts, you definitely missed it.

Just restart.

Red Hood

Banned
Just run into a "the world is at an end" or something, meaning I literally reached the end of the map and it warped me back. Kinda immersive breaking though, I'd rather have had something cliché as a big-ass mountain that you can't climb or a huge ocean where sharks will eat your ass. Other than that, I've played (walked) for 5 hours and I haven't done shit yet. Just the way I like it.

Meffer

I'm loving this game so far. Had some times the frame rate dipped but overall it's fantastic. Had to lower the camera speed because it felt way too fast for me on default.

As far as he "world's end" message, until developers can make a world that is spherical rather than completely flat, we're going to run into invisible walls that impede and break immersion.

Considering you'd have to develop a game with content to fill a small planet, that seems like a difficult task.

Any way to turn off the damage numbers that appear above an enemy's head?

Check HUD configuration in the setting menu. Likely the option is there.

From what I've seen around, it sounds like you make those choices a couple hours in, depending on how long you spend doing stuff in White Orchard.

My first dip into the game. Very good looking and dense world. The writing is excellent. My favourite line so far:

'I could fuck ye up meself!' Such an accurate response and articulation haha. Big man got put on his arse after that.

ZanDatsu

I'm pretty sure you can turn them off, I think. Basically the way it works is that ? are points of interest. They could be a quest, stash, super monster, bandit camp, etc. They're triggered by checking a notice board. The notices on the board aren't necessarily tied to the ?, that's just how the game system works; check notice board = map populated by ? points of interest.

In White Orchard there's only one town, thus one notice board, so the whole map populates. Once you get to the actual open worlds there's several towns and thus numerous notice boards. You can discover places before activating the point of interest from the board.

I see, that definitely puts me more at ease about them then. Thanks for letting me know!

pakkit

Banned
3 hours in and the game plays and looks wonderful. I just did the two early Notice board quests (
), picked a bunch of plants, and just basically wandering around and finding things to do without trying to avoid the main quest as long as I possibly can.

Gamepad Detected.
Controls changed

Controls changed

Gamepad Detected.
Controls changed

Controls changed

I don't need to be continuously reminded what controller I'm using, no other game does this,

I get it everytime I save. Have you tried unplugging your mouse? If it's high sensitivity, W3 might be switching over for a nanosecond.

The game looks incredible on my rig, but it definitely carries over some of the weaknesses of the REDengine 2 (e.g. foliage/item pop-in, some stilted animations). Still, I'm glad I'm here at the NeoGAF thread, instead of some other PC based communities that keep insisting that this is a "console port." It's a 3-system release...you can't compare it to GTAV, which took years to polish just for a PC release. I have little doubt performance, which is already pretty smooth on my end (with some tinkering), will improve. If any newbies are enjoying the questing in this game, I can't recommend W2 enough. It's similar, albeit minus the open-world design (more hub-based, ala Mass Effect). And I've gotta say, the extra insight afforded to book readers is wonderful. Especially loved the early
Nenneke
reference/backstory from the Herbalist.

nikos

If you get it get it physical so you an trade in if you don't like it, I eish I would've did that but the 7pm unlock and digital discount pushed me over.

That's the reason I've been holding out. Best Buy GCU + $10 in rewards for preordering makes it about $42 after tax. Can flip it for that if I don't get into it.

jett

D-Member
I feel like this game is as unbalanced in its mechanics as W2. Why does this game degradable weapons that cost a fuckton to repair despite you never getting much money for doing fucking anything? I also find the overabundance of multilevel skills pointless, when it takes forever to level up. Those level 1 skills are so shit I wonder if they make any difference.

Meffer

Does the auto pilot the waypoint thing still works with the mini-map off? That could be helpful to get to the ? event markers without having to pause the game a million times to make sure you're in the right place.
You can hold whatever button is for gallop while on the a road to just move automatically.

Utterly adoring this game.

http://abload.de/img/w21kbpoa.png[img]
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it clicked for me too. Gorgeous game. Some of the animations are a bit stiff, but damn if the overall experience isn't just great.

[IMG]http://abload.de/img/screenshot-originalw9u5e.png

Finished my first contract, the Noonwraith.
Saw her flying around the village as I approached and then she disappeared, was eerie as hell. Kill her off,
travel back to get my reward as the sun is setting and damn, it's just gorgeous.

Gamepad Detected.
Controls changed

Controls changed

Gamepad Detected.
Controls changed

Controls changed

Oh good it's not only me, I thought it was because I am using the PS4's controller charging cable that barely stays in the Xbox one controller.

Gbraga

What are the messages on the board that don't give you quests? Are they just there so you can read the text?

I feel like this game is as unbalanced in its mechanics as W2. Why does this game degradable weapons that cost a fuckton to repair despite you never getting much money for doing fucking anything?

There are repair items as well, maybe those are worth using?

But yeah, it's kinda hard to get money in this game, I assume that'll get better as you get more hunting jobs.

You can hold whatever button is for gallop while on the a road to just move automatically.

Thanks!

artsi

One thing that bugs me is that the dialogue options have a bit of delay after you select them, before Geralt starts to speak. Not a big deal but it just feels unresponsive.

Tacitus_

If there's one thing that's bugging me about the new combat, it is how alchemy got neutered. 20 second potions and oils that seem to last 20 hits and you can carry (untalented) a maximum of 3 potions and 2 bombs of each type. Going from 10% damage for 10 minutes to 10% damage for 20 seconds is baaad. And oiling up for bosses doesn't mean much if the oil dissipates after chinking maybe 1/3rds of the guys HP. At least you can refill all your stockpiles with one vodka during meditation, but it still feels bad after W2 where you could go to a fight with 40 bombs on you and just massacre groups of enemies with alchemy.

That and fast attackers hitstunning you for ages. But that's a git gud issue, even if an annoying one when you're dealing with a mob and one combos you from behind for the rest to join in.

And while I'm ranting, fuck the wraith enemies.

Downloading patch on PS4. So cool to have stuff inside the case other than just the disc! I wish more devs did this. I mean a manual is okay, and then you get a map, a lore compendium, OST, note from devs and even stickers. Stickers! In 2015!

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

Gamepad Detected.
Controls changed

Controls changed

Gamepad Detected.
Controls changed

Controls changed

I've that problem too and I'm incredible annoyed by it. I did not find a way to turn it off :/. every time I touch my table my mouse moves a little bit and the pop up comes up -_-

brau

What are the messages on the board that don't give you quests? Are they just there so you can read the text?

I noticed this. I saw a bunch of quests. didn't actually read them. accepted them, then i only had 2 optional ones and a contract. I guess i should read them instead of accepting them and not reading them until i am ready to take on the quest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom