• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peff

I feel like this game is as unbalanced in its mechanics as W2. Why does this game degradable weapons that cost a fuckton to repair despite you never getting much money for doing fucking anything?

This is soo gonna get patched. You can barely kill 7-8 enemies before it's down to 50-60% and already costing several dozen coins. Kind of annoying, I guess they expect you to sell most of the junk? Not that you get much for most of it...

JambiBum

I feel like this game is as unbalanced in its mechanics as W2. Why does this game degradable weapons that cost a fuckton to repair despite you never getting much money for doing fucking anything? I also find the overabundance of multilevel skills pointless, when it takes forever to level up. Those level 1 skills are so shit I wonder if they make any difference.

By the time I left the first area, I was level 4 with a total of 10 skill points to use. Not every level 1 skill is a 5/5 either. Only the combat ones because of the way they skill are all 5/5. It might take a while to level, but skill points aren't an issue if you explore.

ys45

So after playing almost 4 hours yesterday , All I can say is wow, the game look amazing the atmosphere is great there is so much to do .

From what I understand I am currently in some kind of tutorial area but still able to go pretty much everywhere.

I did not really hate combat in Witcher 2, but the combat feel a little wierd on this one also.
But maybe that's because I just recently played Bloodborne and Dark Souls 2 SoTFS.

Can't wait to get back home to play .

usp84

So i found a monster nest and the game said i could destroy it with 3 items but i dont remember which except the bomb.How can i find these small info again on the menu?

Mendrox

Anyone know? I've just started quests in the first village (the village we seen in the YouTubers footage - Where the blacksmith with the burned down building is).

I'll keep going, but in a game this size I don't want to have to restart because I forgot to turn an option on. Cheers

You get the choices after the prologue. You will bath and get shaved and then asked some questions.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
3 hours in and the game plays and looks wonderful. I just did the two early Notice board quests (
The Well Devil, and finding that guys brother
), picked a bunch of plants, and just basically wandering around and finding things to do without trying to avoid the main quest as long as I possibly can.

I do have an issue with the game though

Is there a way to turn off that annoying controller prompt.

Gamepad Detected.
Controls changed

Keyboard and Mouse Detected
Controls changed

Gamepad Detected.
Controls changed

Keyboard and Mouse Detected
Controls changed

I'm getting this pop up like every 20 seconds.

I don't need to be continuously reminded what controller I'm using, no other game does this,

Other than that minor issue, everything is great.

I get that too, but it's only when I actually bump my mouse. It hasn't bothered me at all though.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Can you redo failed quests? I automatically failed a few when I
went with Yen to see the King

Gbraga

If there's one thing that's bugging me about the new combat, it is how alchemy got neutered. 20 second potions and oils that seem to last 20 hits and you can carry (untalented) a maximum of 3 potions and 2 bombs of each type. Going from 10% damage for 10 minutes to 10% damage for 20 seconds is baaad. And oiling up for bosses doesn't mean much if the oil dissipates after chinking maybe 1/3rds of the guys HP. At least you can refill all your stockpiles with one vodka during meditation, but it still feels bad after W2 where you could go to a fight with 40 bombs on you and just massacre groups of enemies with alchemy.

That and fast attackers hitstunning you for ages. But that's a git gud issue, even if an annoying one when you're dealing with a mob and one combos you from behind for the rest to join in.

And while I'm ranting, fuck the wraith enemies.

That's disappointing to read, I was hoping this game relied more on potions, bombs and oils, not less. Witcher 2 had a weird difficulty curve, where after Flotsam, just mashing attack was enough to beat the game, I wanted more of the early Flotsam Witcher stuff. Studying enemies and preparing for the fights.

I noticed this. I saw a bunch of quests. didn't actually read them. accepted them, then i only had 2 optional ones and a contract. I guess i should read them instead of accepting them and not reading them until i am ready to take on the quest.

I read them all and I still have no idea of what they're for, haha.

Audioboxer

Does the auto pilot the waypoint thing still works with the mini-map off? That could be helpful to get to the ? event markers without having to pause the game a million times to make sure you're in the right place.

You do that before the game even starts, you definitely missed it.

Just restart.

From what I've seen around, it sounds like you make those choices a couple hours in, depending on how long you spend doing stuff in White Orchard.

You choose 'Simulate', and then it will ask you the questions after you complete the prologue.

Bit confused now :p So is it before the game starts or during?

I just started a new game with default options. Think one was import a witcher 2 save? (even although that can't be done on PS4).

Only thing I selected by choice was difficulty.

Gbraga

I just started a new game with default options. Think one was import a witcher 2 save? (even although that can't be done on PS4).

Please ignore me then, I imported my save, I was just assuming from the menu choices, he must be right.

JambiBum

You choose what you want to do, import a save, no continuity, or choose your options in game. If you choose the third option, you come to a point a little into the game where you are interviewed and they ask you different questions related to W2.

drotahorror

After. it's after you kill the monster
gryphon

But you're asked if you want to simulate the choices in tutorial. You don't make the choices til later though.

jett

D-Member
This is soo gonna get patched. You can barely kill 7-8 enemies before it's down to 50-60% and already costing several dozen coins. Kind of annoying, I guess they expect you to sell most of the junk? Not that you get much for most of it...

I think I'll wait for mods before I carry on. I'm too old to allow myself to be annoyed and bothered by stupid bullshit in a video game. Not does your sword waste away, but also every part of your armor.

Selling potential is another. Half I would understand, but getting around 10% for the shit you have? Selling loot is useless. The "loot" you get is crap and you can't even sell it. And just to make it more of an annoyance you don't even see their real sale value in your inventory. Same as W2. I really don't get CDPR.

It really is a lot like W2, the bad and the good, failures and all, simply set on larger areas. I don't remember W2 having input lag though, it takes almost a full second for Geralt to move from a standstill position. Frankly really dodgy controls.

By the time I left the first area, I was level 4 with a total of 10 skill points to use. Not every level 1 skill is a 5/5 either. Only the combat ones because of the way they skill are all 5/5. It might take a while to level, but skill points aren't an issue if you explore.

Been mostly just exploring for hours and killing monsters, gathering treasure, going to those "points of interest", still at level 1. I did get a skill point of a place of power, so there's that.

epmode

I also get the controller method prompt constantly. Happens every single time I leave a menu system even if I go nowhere near my mouse or keyboard.

Audioboxer

You choose what you want to do, import a save, no continuity, or choose your options in game. If you choose the third option, you come to a point a little into the game where you are interviewed and they ask you different questions related to W2.

After. it's after you kill the monster
gryphon

But you're asked if you want to simulate the choices in tutorial. You don't make the choices til later though.

Okay thanks. Does anyone on the PS4 know what is selected by default? When simulate witcher 2 save popped up I just hit x. Which is the turned on option. I assume since it's on PS4 that means make choices as there is no save game to simulate?

edit: Just noticed your edit, the tutorial being when you're with the kid training? Can't remember being given an option.

Sora_N

Random question. I won't be able to play until I'm home from work in like 12 hours.

Is this a save anywhere game? I barely played w2 so I can't remember.

OwlyKnees

I noticed this. I saw a bunch of quests. didn't actually read them. accepted them, then i only had 2 optional ones and a contract. I guess i should read them instead of accepting them and not reading them until i am ready to take on the quest.

They are there to provide flavour text for the local town/city you are currently in.

You choose whether to "simulate" a Witcher 2 save before the game starts. You don't actually answer the questions that change the worldstate until later.

brau

They are there to provide flavour text for the local town/city you are currently in.

Ok. i guess that makes sense. I'll start reading them.

Btw. loving the voice acting so far. Usually i tend to skip if i have text. But i find myself listening. Tempted to just disable subs.

I will disable the prompts on top of the heads. Those look dumb.

Afrodium

Banned
Been mostly just exploring for hours and killing monsters, gathering treasure, going to those "points of interest", still at level 1. I did get a skill point of a place of power, so there's that.

You get XP primarily from completing quests. Just killing monsters in the wild won't level you IIRC

ironcreed

Banned
It took me all of an hour to come to grips with the flow of the combat. It feels incredible when you lock on to the nearest enemy, circle strafe, roll, quick step and strike accordingly. All while switching targets with a flick of the stick to give yourself the best view. I liken the feel of it to how a wolf will circle and stalk it's prey when it is about to attack, only you attack with a graceful, yet brutal water dancer style of fighting. It's so much more fluid and nuanced than TW2 it is not even funny.

dedhead54

I'm about to head to the store to pick up my copy of the game but I'm still a little confused about the "simulate Witcher 2 save" thing. So I think I'm just going to go with no? I have no knowledge whatsoever of the story of the previous games/books.

I am totally pumped to dive in to this, though. Here we go.

It took me all of an hour to come to grips with the flow of the combat. It feels incredible when you lock on to the nearest enemy, circle strafe, roll, quick step and strike accordingly. All while switching targets with a flick of the stick to give yourself the best view. I liken the feel of it to how a wolf will circle and stalk it's prey when it is about to attack, only you attack with a graceful, yet brutal water dancer style of fighting. It's so much more fluid and nuanced than TW2 it is not even funny.

Yep. Takes a while getting used to but now I can finally slaughter packs of drowners. Finally no more rollspam. Still at lvl 1 on Death March.

Turned mini-map off and getting an enormous Witcher 1 feeling boost.

Tacitus_

That's disappointing to read, I was hoping this game relied more on potions, bombs and oils, not less. Witcher 2 had a weird difficulty curve, where after Flotsam, just mashing attack was enough to beat the game, I wanted more of the early Flotsam Witcher stuff. Studying enemies and preparing for the fights.

Game is still very punishing even on medium so you can't just mash attack to win unless you severely outlevel your foes. I just completed a contract that was I think 1 level above me and it took a lot of careful spinning to do it, since the bastard could slap half of my HP away with its nastier attack. Couldn't even shield since you needed to use your stamina on a different sign just to be able to damage it.

I'm about to head to the store to pick up my copy of the game but I'm still a little confused about the "simulate Witcher 2 save" thing. So I think I'm just going to go with no? I have no knowledge whatsoever of the story of the previous games/books.

I am totally pumped to dive in to this, though. Here we go.

Yeah, go with "no" if you haven't played the previous games.

I am about 3 hours into this, I am enjoying it a lot, I see myself getting attached to this like I was attached to RDR for some reason. Everything so far is exceeding my expectations. Plays great on my laptop with a 980m. (Almost maxed out without hairworks)

Call me impressed, I probably will cave in and get the DLC pass.. Since I only paid $25 for this.

Caja 117

Did you get a chance to play both versions for consoles? If so what version performed better in terms of frame rate? Or were they both the same? I haven't heard a lot about the X1 version yet.

Only the xbox one version, so far i have notice small stutters in a couple of cutscenes, for a second there was a weird line across one of the cutscene, in terms of framerate I noticed a small drop when I was looking at some wolfs that were far away from my position.

In terms of screen resolution I will not be able to help, I think, I have trouble in distinguishing 1080 from 900

The game does look gorgeous and full of life, The use of color is rich and I apreaciate that change after playing bloodborne.

SugarDave

I agree. I'm really enjoying the feel of the combat. I also love how Geralt holds his sword when you're parrying. Before I jump back in, has there been an update on a good way to prevent the crashes occurring (had 4 altogether myself)? My GPU isn't overclocked, beyond the factory OC anyway, so it isn't that.

I'm going to play the whole game wearing the Witcher medallion from the CE YEAHHHHH!!! 8) #ballin

Newman96

Yeah weapon degradation is really bad in this, as is the armour. Seems every quest I'm having to go back to the blacksmith to fix my shit. Again, the amount you get from some of the gear seems really poor too, item worth 900 orens? I'll give you 100.

Soi-Fong

HD is done rendering! :)

Seriously, this game is gorgeous on XBO and I show you here. I don't care what some people are saying. :)

Ignore the people saying the XBO version is bad. If you like it, you like it and that's all that matters in the end.

Just don't deny though that the XBO version is the most gimped out of all the versions. I can't imagine rendering this game at 900p. Playing the PC version at 1080p at Ultra settings, the aliasing was getting to me so I decided to play instead at 1440p and downsample from that.

No aliasing and I'm happy.

megalowho

Put a few hours in last night, it's good and Witcher-y but hasn't grabbed me yet. Might just be a little burnt out on fantasy RPG after lots of Pillars of Eternity, might be the pacing, hoping I get sucked in eventually. Thought Witcher 2 was a bit cumbersome and slow going at first as well but ended up enjoying it.

Also think the Witcher 2 simulation option never triggered, still haven't been presented with any questions though I selected what the OP said to. Little frustrating but I can deal.

I'm having a major issue with this game : everything is so small and too far away. The world is FILLED with details but the camera is so far from geralt that I can't see shit. It's just a huge cluttered mess. When the camera pans very close in cutscene I can admire the character models and details but playing, my eyes are bleeding at everything...

Also, text and interface is so fucking damn small. I can't read shit

Gbraga

Game is still very punishing even on medium so you can't just mash attack to win unless you severely outlevel your foes. I just completed a contract that was I think 1 level above me and it took a lot of careful spinning to do it, since the bastard could slap half of my HP away with its nastier attack. Couldn't even shield since you needed to use your stamina on a different sign just to be able to damage it.

Hmm, yeah, the combat is definitely a lot better, even when all you're doing is using your swords and signs, I just wish it was more focused on preparation than execution.

Though that might still be the case, I'm very very early into the game. I have 3 hours or something like that, and still didn't do any main stuff after getting to the bar. Just exploring and chillin.

Hmm, I think I'm gonna wait for a couple more patches before I carry on playing. The judder when panning the camera (PS4) is annoying me already and I've only just started the game. It's not that bad tbh, but I'm super sensitive to it. Hopefully they address it soon.

jett

D-Member
I'm having a major issue with this game : everything is so small and too far away. The world is FILLED with details but the camera is so far from geralt that I can't see shit. It's just a huge cluttered mess. When the camera pans very close in cutscene I can admire the character models and details but playing, my eyes are bleeding at everything...

This game has serious HUD/GUI issues. Like when you highlight an item in your inventory, which is on the center of the screen, the description is on the bottom left corner. Why? And everything is tiny, of course.

So for those folks who have finished all the side contract stuff up to the first boss/second contract am I right that
The lord rapes the noonwraith girl on her wedding night, so her and her husband move to the woods. The lord goes out to try to "talk" them into moving back into town which ends in violence. He killed the noon wraith girl because she used his son's relationship with the hunter as an insult after he murdered her husband. Then his son kills himself, the hunter gets banished - and the Nilfgaardians trounced the local militia due to lack of preparation?

The HUD in general kind of sucks. The text is too small, even on my huge TV (and the only option you have in the menu is to make it smaller), What's worse is the feature that lets you set the HUD boundaries doesn't seem to work, because there's still like a full inch between the icons and the endge of the screen even after I push the corners out as far as they need to go.

It feels really claustrophobic, I hope they tweak the HUD stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom