• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chariot

Also how do I find the griffin? There's no marker on the map even though it's my active quest.
The griphon quest is very explicit. Look in your journal if you didn't miss a subquest.
Well the only thing i am not a fan of in this game is the wind. It seems like its just too much all the time.
You wanna builda windmill where there's lot of win. Do you ever visited the Nethlands? I rode a bike there at the coast and it would drive without me pedaling because the wind would push me (other direction was horrible tho).

Steam says I played this for 12 hours today
tpDY6sl.png

brau

The foreign dialogue is mostly for atmosphere but I've seen NPCs have long, interesting conversations with each other purely in Nilfgaardian and it would have been gibberish if I had subtitles disabled. Some minor NPCs will respond to you in other languages as well. I've even seen a foreign translation in a conversation with a questgiver. Granted, he only said "good luck" or whatever but I don't like missing out on the translation.

Is there an option to disable english subs but not foreign?

TW2 felt like a stiff robot jank-fest compared to this game. There are some quirks when running around an object sometimes, but the overall sense of movement and gameplay is in another league entirely.

Yeah, I feel like they've improved a lot with each iteration, and this is definitely a step above W2. It's still not perfect, and movement can be pretty janky when you're just trying to stop in the right spot to pick a flower, but it's much better than the first two games (based on all of half an hour playing so far).

Dreathlock

Is it normal that the controls are so clunky?
Riding on a horse feels like i dont have any control at all. This is pretty much destroying the whole game for me. :(

OmegaDL50

Any confirmation on this? I could have sworn an in-game tutorial message said you get XP from killing monsters... Am I imagining that?

You only get exp for adding new entries to the bestiary.

If you killed a monster and got exp for it, it's because the journal entry was added not from the monster itself.

so... do reviewers not care about glitches? clunky movement or tiny text? why was there not a word of this in ANY reviews?

I haven't played it yet, but this thread isn't reading well for the game right now.

I can't wait to get my copy later and try it for myself.

Godan

You wanna builda windmill where there's lot of win. Do you ever visited the Nethlands? I rode a bike there at the coast and it would drive without me pedaling because the wind would push me (other direction was horrible tho).

Yeah am not saying it bad or anything its just i feel like they could have toned it down a bit. Seems like its always 60mph winds.

patapuf

Any confirmation on this? I could have sworn an in-game tutorial message said you get XP from killing monsters... Am I imagining that?

I'm not sure but IIRC. you get XP for discovering new monsters/killing them for the first time and at least at the difficulties above normal you don't get XP for killing simple mobs.

so... do reviewers not care about glitches? clunky movement or tiny text? why was there not a word of this in ANY reviews?

I haven't played it yet, but this thread isn't reading well for the game right now.

Plenty of reviews mentioned the glitches and hitches. In the text.

They enjoyed the game enought that they didn't matter.

Soi-Fong

Riding on a horse feels like i dont have any control at all. This is pretty much destroying the whole game for me. :(

Trying to turn 180 with Roach is very odd indeed. I feel like I don't have full control of him when doing those controls.

If you were allowed to go off cliffs with Roach, I would have died many times.

Just imagine you're playing a Rockstar game and you'll forget how bad the game feels. It seems to work for millions of people

Well the only thing i am not a fan of in this game is the wind. It seems like its just too much all the time.

You and I seem to be the only ones

Dear devs: Please stop forcing me to look forward when I'm trying to admire your beautiful world while riding my horse.

Thanks.

Just imagine you're playing a Rockstar game and you'll forget how bad the game feels. It seems to work for millions of people

Funnily enough I thought the movement was very similar to GTA V the moment I took control of Geralt. It's better, but it still has that clunky 'I don't feel like I'm fully in control' feeling to it. TW2 felt clunky, but it was responsive, TW3 feels less clunky and loose.

bargeparty

In languages like Nilguardian (or howver you spell it) when you have subtitles on, you can read what people are saying... It's translated in the subtitles. But, with subtitles off you cannot read them.

I'm always tempted to turn off subs in games or movies because I never focus on the character speaking and just read the text. But, i am keeping it for this.

That's moronic. I hate using subtitles for the language I speak. It's pointless to me.

Is there an option to disable english subs but not foreign?

Not that I saw.

Like anything else, I suspect that enough good things make it easy to ignore the quirks and glitches so long as they don't ruin the game.

Caja 117

That's certainly how I remember Witcher 2.

Personally really glad I went with GCU for this purchase so I can trade this thing in in a week if I get tired of it as fast as I did W2.

Yeah, its feels a litle bit improved, but other than the control configuration (like using signs with the bumper) combat feels like Witcher 2.

OSHAN

Just picked it up at Target and got the last free guide. Looking forward to wasting a lot of time on this game. PS4 here.

brau

No. That's the problem.

We should request this from CDPR.

Also.. is there a toggle to make the hud Hide? except for say the mini map? i don't like all the clutter. The game is way too pretty to have a hud at all times. But its useful when going into fights.

Dear devs: Please stop forcing me to look forward when I'm trying to admire your beautiful world while riding my horse.

Thanks.
Dear player. Get on the road and hold the X on ps4. Horse follows road. You can even make him Sprint in road.

Seeing the thread I see many people mentioning the small text. Good thing too. CDPR must've taken attention by now. Increasing font shouldn't be that hard right?

boskee

We should request this from CDPR.

Also.. is there a toggle to make the hud Hide? except for say the mini map? i don't like all the clutter. The game is way too pretty to have a hud at all times. But its useful when going into fights.

Yes - go to graphics options and then hud. you can disable pretty much everything.

Sheiter

So I've been at the BestBuy I preordered at since they opened at 10 and they still say they claim not to have received their shipment of the Witcher yet and are expecting it this morning. Feeling pretty screwed over for goon with Bedt Buy on this one when GameStop has been selling the thing since last night.

brau

Yes - go to graphics options and then hud. you can disable pretty much everything.

Yea... i actually went to that menu through the main menu to be dissapointed at the options. I guess those open up once you are in game. So you can actually hide? i saw disable.. and i don't want them to permanently be off.

Staf

Got two questions, have to had missed this part of the tutorial.

1. What is the grey bar above the health bar? Thought it was the durability of my sword but the bar is nearly empty and my sword durability in the inventory screen is 78%

2. What is the bar under the health bar with a skull next to it?

How many of you have received your Collector's Editions? I must say, that the painting quality is one of the worst I have seen on a product this big and expensive. I get that you mostly use airbrush to cover up most of the surface of statues this big, but the details especially on Geralt's face are horrible.

How does your Geralt of Rivia look like? Is he missing eyes and painted with a one inch brush like mine?
0jIPs7W.jpg

Every other item in the Collector's Edition is of the highest quality, like the awesome artbook and the metal pendant.
Damn, that looks bad. I hope mine isn't like that when I pick it up later. Is this a widespread problem?

Klyka

Banned
The movement in this game.....just....wow

Also, NPCs repeating the same dialogue CONSTANTLY every time you walk away and come back? Really? I heard that kid's rhyme about the Emperor about 3 times in the span of a minute just by walking between two houses.

But the worst thing is how unlike in Ass Creed where you can walk past an NPC and will like,turn your shoulder and such to pass them, here Geralt just bumps into people who then jump 2m away and go "WOOOAH!" or do some weird monster hiss at you.
I feel like a fucking cunt just throwing people away,instead of a badass Witcher walking through a town.

I'm having a hard time reading text too (Xbox 1, 60" TV). I have a very low prescription for glasses but have never needed them for playing games. This is the first game that I'm needing glasses.

I also find that I want there to be some sort of first person view for seeing things up close. But I might be spoiled by GTAV's first person mode.

Yes, all of this. Text needs to be bigger. First person view would be awesome.

Also the whole equipment degradation system sucks.

Combat is fun though.

Tried gwent again and it didn't crash for whatever reason. It did 3 times last night. Weird.

CHC

You're probably fighting it. If you just hold A, the horse will run along paths automatically. So every time you approach a bend you're probably turning in addition to the horse turning automatically and it's getting weird. It basically auto-pilots on roads.

The movement in this game.....just....wow

Also, NPCs repeating the same dialogue CONSTANTLY every time you walk away and come back? Really? I heard that kid's rhyme about the Emperor about 3 times in the span of a minute just by walking between two houses.

But the worst thing is how unlike in Ass Creed where you can walk past an NPC and will like,turn your shoulder and such to pass them, here Geralt just bumps into people who then jump 2m away and go "WOOOAH!" or do some weird monster hiss at you.
I feel like a fucking cunt just throwing people away,instead of a badass Witcher walking through a town.

Ugh..

I am grabbing my pre-order today but no way in hell am I going to open it for a few days. House Of Wolves drops today anyways.

Well....judging by this thread, seems the reception on this game here isn't looking too hot. Kinda surprised
Well on most forums people are more likely to post issues they are having to get a solution than they are to post praise and tbh I like it that way because a giant circle jerk doesn't help determine anything.

Afrodium

Banned
Dear player. Get on the road and hold the X on ps4. Horse follows road. You can even make him Sprint in road.

Seeing the thread I see many people mentioning the small text. Good thing too. CDPR must've taken attention by now. Increasing font shouldn't be that hard right?

The Witcher 2 had the same problem, so I'm not so sure. The text size was one of the primary reasons I couldn't enjoy The Witcher 2, as it kept giving me a headache.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom