• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sora_N

I don't want to belabor this topic too much, I'm sure this has been asked a number of times but I could not find a central thread about this discussion:

Should I play the Witcher 2 first? I already own it on Steam (got it on sale for $5 or something),it's currently installed on my machine - I've tried starting it 3 or so times over the past few years but found the combat obtuse and challenging in the wrong ways and never lasted through the opening flashback sequences.

Its hard not to get caught up in the hype of the new shiny game for the summer though, and I'm having visions of just jumping into W3. By all accounts, its sounds like it's easier to get started, but I just love the idea of coming in with the history.

What say you, GAF?

I'm just jumping into w3 because if I played through both first I wouldn't touch 3 till January lol.

The Witcher 2 had the same problem, so I'm not so sure. The text size was one of the primary reasons I couldn't enjoy The Witcher 2, as it kept giving me a headache.
I don't think 360 version had tiny text. But maybe it did. It shouldn't be an issue.If capcom can do it for dead rising then cdpr can do it lol

I want you's guess's first impression of Yennifer.

Here's mine:
Damn she's bossy as hell. I would think Geralt wouldn't tolerate being bossed around so much. I don't see why Geralt is so infatuated with her.

Enjoying the game a lot!

Strong man likes strong woman, go figure.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™

Here's mine:
Damn she's bossy as hell. I would think Geralt wouldn't tolerate being bossed around so much. I don't see why Geralt is so infatuated with her.

Enjoying the game a lot!
wwbik1w.gif

That's why.

I don't want to belabor this topic too much, I'm sure this has been asked a number of times but I could not find a central thread about this discussion:

Should I play the Witcher 2 first? I already own it on Steam (got it on sale for $5 or something),it's currently installed on my machine - I've tried starting it 3 or so times over the past few years but found the combat obtuse and challenging in the wrong ways and never lasted through the opening flashback sequences.

Its hard not to get caught up in the hype of the new shiny game for the summer though, and I'm having visions of just jumping into W3. By all accounts, its sounds like it's easier to get started, but I just love the idea of coming in with the history.

What say you, GAF?
Should I play good game before good game GAF?

Do you need to play witcher 3 now? If not play witcher 2. It's as simple as that

kami_sama

I do n't know why, but the game doesn't let me use my volume keys when it's maximized. I can just alt-tab, but I'd like a way to not have to do that.

pakkit

Banned

Here's mine:

Enjoying the game a lot!

Because they're equals?

Why does he need two swords? Does he tend to lose them?

plough em all plough em all plough em all plough em all

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Well....judging by this thread, seems the reception on this game here isn't looking too hot. Kinda surprised

Stayed up till 3 am playing last night on PS4(ugh..) and had no real tech issues beyond some design quirks with controls. No crashes and very little noticeable frame-dropping. Fully expect some of the crashes and drops to occur eventually given the amount of whining, but none yet for me.

They really do need to tighten up the looting though. Any interact-able object often feels like a fight to get Geralt to stand in the perfect spot, usually requiring a complete standstill since any momentum animation won't register the action. Often the camera bugs out too usually flipping instantly to look directly up at the sky after trying to grab something. Also Geralt sometimes will just start slow-walking in the direction of the object overshooting it and will keep just walking forward even if I put the controller down. Happens all the damn time which is a real bugger of a weird glitch. Jumping is pretty spotty too as climbing/scrambling up basic walls can feel like the most janky thing in videogaming.

Witcher 2 also had its own brand of similar problems but confined to a more rigid and claustrophic set of environs which was greatly more irritating, particularly since his movement had no momentum kicking into max gear at the slightest movement. Thankfully with more real estate in W3 its far less problematic, but still has its own quirks. Combat finally feels somewhat fluid, which is a monumental improvement from the prior games.

Haven't managed to play it yet, tried three times (PS4) but it crashes on the first loading screen after the intros. There's no way to skip them either so this is painful. Gonna reinstall.

Can't skip entirely but pressing square skips conversations and makes it a bit more bearable.

danowat

Banned
When looting would have preferred to have the take all button to be the same button you use to start looting in the first place.

Doesn't make any sense to me to have take all on a different button, to me at least.

ironcreed

Banned

Here's mine:

Enjoying the game a lot!

My first impressions of her are that there is more going on with her than wanting to find Ciri. There is a mystery there that I am curious to discover.

Drazgul

Aren't the trophies visible anymore, or is the Noonwraith one just a special case? Real bummer if I can't have rotting pieces of meat hanging off my belt anymore.

Exuro

When looting would have preferred to have the take all button to be the same button you use to start looting in the first place.

Doesn't make any sense to me to have take all on a different button, to me at least.
Agreed. And if you're using mkb on pc and have the mouse on the item window(i think you have to move the mouse to lose focus on the item), but not the item itself you wont have it selected, so a lot of the time I'm mashing e to pick it up but it wont pick it up unless I move the mouse over it.

CaptNink

Only problem I've had so far is the opening cinematic was stuttering -- everything else seemed fine. Weird.

I really like the game so far, but I think it's going to take a little bit of time to grow on me. The movement is janky as fuck. Other than that, I feel like it's a game that I'm only going to like the more that I play it.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?

Here's mine:

Enjoying the game a lot!

Magic is the reason they're in love

I don't get it. And we have had people here proclaim that since the critics didnt mention it, these problems must not exist.

At the very least, they could have been forthcoming about these issues along witha. Disclaimer that it did not hinder their experience. This at least gives the reader information to make their own personal judgement.

Oh, come on.

Most complaints are people playing the title for hours like myself that have gripes with the game that are bothersome but won't prevent me from playing a fantastic game.

Yes I get the occassional frame drop scene. Yes the text size is meant for people with 20/20 vision. Doesn't mean the game all of a sudden stops being amazing as a whole

galyonkin

Actual Russian Spy.

What say you, GAF?

Yes, you should.

For starters, it makes sense storywise.

But also, why waste money on The Witcher 3 if you already have a perfectly good game to play - The Witcher 2? By the time you finish The Witcher 2 the price for The Witcher 3 might go down and the game will receive at least one patch.

Staf

Just did a side-quest involving getting a frying pan for an old woman in a hut. That quest was more engaging than 90% of the side-quests in Dragon age. Wow, if the side-quests i've done so far are this engaging i'm gonna end up doing them all.

JeffG

I really like the game so far, but I think it's going to take a little bit of time to grow on me. The movement is janky as fuck. Other than that, I feel like it's a game that I'm only going to like the more that I play it.
His slide mechanic kicks in at some odd times. I had it on a staircase once. Made me laugh.

Quirks like that I really don't mind.

Also died in the first 3-4 secs of game play. Walked out to the balcony and said "Hey, I should try jumping here".

Didn't end well.

Courage

It's similar to Mass Effect 2 -> 3 for me in terms of the story. You don't have to play 2, but it sets this game up very nicely plus you'll be able to enjoy and appreciate some of the returning characters.

taybul

Just did a side-quest involving getting a frying pan for an old woman in a hut. That quest was more engaging than 90% of the side-quests in Dragon age. Wow, if the side-quests i've done so far are this engaging i'm gonna end up doing them all.

They are and surprisingly morally conflicting as well. With the one regarding the arson:
I thought I was doing the right thing by having him apologize but nope, death to the arson.

Semper88

The pain is real.. Bol.com didn't deliver the game.. What the fuck. Guess i gotta complain at our post delivery because the site says send since yesterday.. Oh man.

So bummed out!

dean-sorry.gif

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

What say you, GAF?

Only if you want more background on the current events, setting, political movements, characters, etc... but its been entirely unnecessary as W3 is sort of its own thing despite directly continuing the events of W2(which did the same for W1). It can be real damn confusing getting accustomed to who these kingdoms are and what this war is about in the early hours(W2's plot is central to the political conflict in W3), but Yennefer and Ciri are barely mentioned and never actually show-up in either previous games(and are a huge component of the W3 story). You are aware of them in W1/2 through occasional conversation, but playing the prior games is wholly unnecessary for background on that stuff.

If you really dig the social/political-side of this world, then W2 will certainly give you PLENTY of background and appreciation for the current events of W3. Just know that the events of W2 directly explain why Nilfgaard(southern kingdom) invades Temeria(North) which you see the result of the moment of you start W3.

Soriku

Picked the game up at Target. The Prima strategy guide came free as part of a weekly deal, and I got the last guide. Cool.

The movement in this game.....just....wow

Also, NPCs repeating the same dialogue CONSTANTLY every time you walk away and come back? Really? I heard that kid's rhyme about the Emperor about 3 times in the span of a minute just by walking between two houses

I use to be an adventurer like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

i don't remember if that's the actual quote or not. But still.

Courage

Yeah, it gets much better. Some of them are actually really emotional.

Demoskinos

Anyone know where to get some bear fat early on? Need to make some specter oil. Found the flowers I need just need bear fat. Haven't ran into any bears and all the vendors I know of aren't selling any.

Serrato

Is there a way to cook raw meat Or I just didn't find the ''recipe''?

Poor Geralt, so much ingrained with Witcher's Tradition that he has to find a piece of paper explaining how to cook meat ! haha

Klyka

Banned
I use to be an adventurer like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

i don't remember if that's the actual quote or not. But still.

You don't get to the Cloud District often,do you?

Is there a way to cook raw meat Or I just didn't find the ''recipe''?

Poor Geralt, so much ingrained with Witcher's Tradition that he has to find a piece of paper explaining how to cook meat ! haha

My Geralt is the fattest Witcher in the world cause he has to chug food like crazy to heal his injuries.
It's a bit silly,honestly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom