• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Well....judging by this thread, seems the reception on this game here isn't looking too hot. Kinda surprised

I played last night without looking at this thread. Loved the game. I wasn't expecting all of these complaints. I think that's just the nature of Gaf/internet though. If there's something that's able to be complained about, it will be complained about. Especially when it's a third party game.

I'm not enjoying it too much so far, but I think that might be due to me suffering from 3D open world fatigue after Inquisition. I never want to see pick upable herbs again in any other game.

epmode

I think the game is tremendously impressive. Some of the technical issues are pretty nuts, though. The lack of a "foreign only" subtitle track is inexplicable to me, especially with so much dialogue in fictional languages.

Klyka

Banned
Ugh..

I am grabbing my pre-order today but no way in hell am I going to open it for a few days. House Of Wolves drops today anyways.

Don't get me wrong, the actual game part and story and everything is fucking great. Just this stuff...I am super sensitive to stuff like this.
I might just totally turn peasant chatter off. Silent towns hooooooo

Skilletor

Played for about an hour. Did a couple sidequests. Enjoy the lore of the game.

Not having any troubles with the controls. Combat feels a lot better than W2, but I wish the camera were a bit closer. Hard to see enemy tells sometimes.

Also, Yennifer.

Tigress

Well, I'm off to go pick up my Witcher III copy from Target (I got credit from them and will get 5 dollars credit back for pre ordering with them). Between digital going live yesterday and some stores selling it when digital went live (or even before), I already feel late to the party!

Acinixys

I think the game is tremendously impressive. Some of the technical issues are pretty nuts, though. The lack of a "foreign only" subtitle track is inexplicable to me, especially with so much dialogue in fictional languages.

I expect at least 2GB of patches before the end of the year

Imagine how buggy and shitty the game was 6 months ago when they delayed it?

Staf

Gotta ask again, i'm really confused with these two questions bellow. Been looking through the tutorial menu but can't find anything about it in the game unfortunately.

1. What is the grey bar above the health bar? Thought it was the durability of my sword but the bar is nearly empty and my sword durability in the inventory screen is 78%

2. What is the bar under the health bar with a skull next to it?

jett

D-Member
Is there a way to change the sign menu to work like how it was on W2? Where you just hold to open it up and then let go to choose a sign. I don't like the way it is right now.

Klyka

Banned
Gotta ask again, i'm really confused with these two questions bellow. Been looking through the tutorial menu but can't find anything about it in the game unfortunately.

1. What is the grey bar above the health bar? Thought it was the durability of my sword but the bar is nearly empty and my sword durability in the inventory screen is 78%

1. It's your experience till next lvl.

2. It's your adrenaline bar you need for skills you unlock.

1. XP bar
2. Toxicity bar: if you take too many potions it will fill up and you get nasty side effects

epmode

1. XP bar, I think.
2. Toxicity bar. Taking potions increases it.

Staf

1. XP bar
2. Toxicity bar: if you take too many potions it will fill up and you get nasty side effects

Oh thanks mate! Duh! Of course it's an XP bar, i feel so stupid... Haven't gotten into alchemy yet so guess the toxicity bar will come in play later on.

Only played 30 minutes but it doesn't feel as well designed as the previous Witcher games. Small things feel off. For one half of the buttons are unassigned. Now I have to figure out a proper button assignment myself. Couldn't they have just picked a default layout based on what the QA team used. Also the story/cinematics have some jarring jumps in the beginning and the tips during loading disappear after half a second so you can't even read them.

jett

D-Member

Overall the subtitles are terrible, which is frankly inexplicable considering the game comes from a Polish studio where English is probably a second language at the most for most developers. They should be familiar with what is comfortable to read for people whose mother tongue is not English. But no, we get a tiny ass font and several sentences one after another without a break in subtitles. As they currently exist hey're useless, if I focus on them I can't pay attention to anything else on the screen. So I can't really read them.

I'm so fed up with video games and shitty subtitles. This game has been in development for ages. They had enough time to properly break sentences so that they're easier to read while you don't have to distract yourself too much from the action.

Gbraga

Is there a way to change the sign menu to work like how it was on W2? Where you just hold to open it up and then let go to choose a sign. I don't like the way it is right now.

+1, it would be really nice. No idea why they made it the way it is now.

played a few hours of the Xbox One version and besides the opening cutscene being a little choppy the game is working just fine and I'm loving it like the second one. Only complaint is the hub is ugly (like the second game) and the text is a little small sometimes.

I don't want to belabor this topic too much, I'm sure this has been asked a number of times but I could not find a central thread about this discussion:

Should I play the Witcher 2 first? I already own it on Steam (got it on sale for $5 or something),it's currently installed on my machine - I've tried starting it 3 or so times over the past few years but found the combat obtuse and challenging in the wrong ways and never lasted through the opening flashback sequences.

Its hard not to get caught up in the hype of the new shiny game for the summer though, and I'm having visions of just jumping into W3. By all accounts, its sounds like it's easier to get started, but I just love the idea of coming in with the history.

What say you, GAF?

Zeliard

Also, NPCs repeating the same dialogue CONSTANTLY every time you walk away and come back? Really? I heard that kid's rhyme about the Emperor about 3 times in the span of a minute just by walking between two houses.

Why does he need two swords? Does he tend to lose them?

owlbeak

I don't want to belabor this topic too much, I'm sure this has been asked a number of times but I could not find a central thread about this discussion:

Should I play the Witcher 2 first? I already own it on Steam (got it on sale for $5 or something),it's currently installed on my machine - I've tried starting it 3 or so times over the past few years but found the combat obtuse and challenging in the wrong ways and never lasted through the opening flashback sequences.

Its hard not to get caught up in the hype of the new shiny game for the summer though, and I'm having visions of just jumping into W3. By all accounts, its sounds like it's easier to get started, but I just love the idea of coming in with the history.

What say you, GAF?
Witcher 2 is a really great game, so if you want to dive into it for the backstory, and the story is great in both 1 and 2, go for it!

So I just picked up the game for PS4 an hour ago and havent been able to play it. The game keeps staying stuck on the loading screen after the second cutscene. Not off to a good start. I don't know what to do :/

Denzar

I'm playing through The Witcher 2 before I start 3.

Is it recommended to play with a controller?

Will my save files and thus choices transfer from steam Witcher 2 to GOG Galaxy Witcher 3?

fastmower

I want you's guess's first impression of Yennifer.

Here's mine:
Damn she's bossy as hell. I would think Geralt wouldn't tolerate being bossed around so much. I don't see why Geralt is so infatuated with her.

Enjoying the game a lot!

JobenNC

So I just picked up the game for PS4 an hour ago and havent been able to play it. The game keeps staying stuck on the loading screen after the second cutscene. Not off to a good start. I don't know what to do :/

Had the same problem. Rebooted ps4 after installing the patch and I was good to go.

viveks86

What say you, GAF?

I've not played any prior Witcher game and I was able to get into it just fine. Read EatChildren's infographic in the OP and watch the retrospective videos if you need more detail and you are all set

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom