• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

bombshell

Oh wow, just found out that swiping up or down on the touchpad (PS4) opens up the map directly. And when on the map, clicking the touchpad exits straight to the game without having to press circle twice.

Just finished the story essential
Keira Metz
quest.

Fuck me that was long. Like an old school dungeon grind full of mini bosses, tons of optional areas with their own beasts and treasures.

The game really feels like a blend of the best parts of the first two games. The more rigid linearity of the second is gone, area design and pacing more reminiscent of the larger, exploration driven acts of the first game. But the second's attention to detail in presentation, dialogue, and characters, along with more refined core mechanics, is there in spades.

If it keeps up this quality I can see it easily being my favourite of the three, and the most I've gotten out of a game this year.

I also find it humorous how most people (myself included) throw themselves into White Orchard, fully exploring and doing absolutely everything, taking in the game. Relative to what comes after and the scope of the adventure, White Orchard is basically a neatly contained tutorial.

This is the quest i'm currently on. I'm playing on blood and broken bones and
I ran out of healing items at the wraiths, so I had to fight the dopplegangers and the golem without healing. Shit sucked.

Liking the game so far but the controls leave a lot to be desired. After coming from Bloodborne it feels like I'm controlling a guy that's controlling Geralt. Input seems delayed so picking plants or climbing on my horse requires me to run past the thing I'm trying to interact with before slowwwwly walking towards it to interact. Maybe it's just something I have to get used to but it seems off.

Fucking BestBuy.. they are so close to being the best place to get games these days in store but they constantly fuck up pre-order bonusus.

Of course they didn't get any Steelbooks and the guy said I don't know I guess nobody got them.

COOL BESTBUY.

Liking the game so far but the controls leave a lot to be desired. After coming from Bloodborne it feels like I'm controlling a guy that's controlling Geralt. Input seems delayed so picking plants or climbing on my horse requires me to run past the thing I'm trying to interact with before slowwwwly walking towards it to interact. Maybe it's just something I have to get used to but it seems off.
Yeah the horse mounting bothers me.

Also anybody have links to Ps4 dlc? On mobile

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Really liking the game. Gotta get used to the movement and some of the combat still. Load times are pissing me off. It looks amazing most of the time with a few rough looking spots here and there. Also man for anyone trying to do the quest hunting a witch
fucking definitely needs to stock up on Food/Health potions. Long ass quest and you barely get any health items. I was getting pissed lol. Finally beat it though.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
This is the quest i'm currently on. I'm playing on blood and broken bones and
I ran out of healing items at the wraiths, so I had to fight the dopplegangers and the golem without healing. Shit sucked.

I'm on blood and broken bones too. Realised through this mission that if you're carrying any alcohol all you need to do is meditate outside of combat, the shortest length even, and all your potions will be refilled. I think I restocked swallow and thunderbolt twice. Good combo for the tougher fights.

So I'm gonna ask now that the game is out, is anyone having issues with text size? Especially of items on the ground? I understand my eyes aren't perfect but I can't be the only one.

jacobeid

Banned
Fucking BestBuy.. they are so close to being the best place to get games these days in store but they constantly fuck up pre-order bonusus.

Of course they didn't get any Steelbooks and the guy said I don't know I guess nobody got them.

COOL BESTBUY.

That absolutely sucks. Mine shipped separately from my base game. Glad I didn't do in-store pickup.

Keira Metz
quest.

Fuck me that was long. Like an old school dungeon grind full of mini bosses, tons of optional areas with their own beasts and treasures.

this is exactly where I am, but my silver sword needs to be repaired. Not sure what to do ><

I really like Geralt's dry wit!

Scholar: I'm crumblesworth mcwhateveritis, assistant professor of history at Oxenfurt academy!
Geralt: Geralt, Witcher... With tenure.

Blew through White Orchard last night with a vengeance. Lots of rolling, corpse-stripping, and setting people on fire. The enemies here are pretty vicious in groups, especially drowners. Even if you're laying the smackdown on one, the rest won't wait, opting to charge around to your back and interrupt your hitstring there. Smart.
Really loving the little dialogue touches that pop up with conversations; Geralt is equal parts sweet and smarmy, especially as the rank of the person he's talking to goes up. The BGM, though, almost uniformly sad, even to a bit of a detriment.

The wait was worth it!

So I'm gonna ask now that the game is out, is anyone having issues with text size? Especially of items on the ground? I understand my eyes aren't perfect but I can't be the only one.

Yes. This is my other problem with the game. I have my vision checked every year and this is making me feel like I might need glasses. An option to make text bigger would be appreciated. For some reason there's an option to make the text smaller for those with bionic eyes.

ironcreed

Banned
Keira Metz
quest.

The game really feels like a blend of the best parts of the first two games. The more rigid linearity of the second is gone, area design and pacing more reminiscent of the larger, exploration driven acts of the first game. But the second's attention to detail in presentation, dialogue, and characters, along with more refined core mechanics, is there in spades.

If it keeps up this quality I can see it easily being my favourite of the three, and the most I've gotten out of a game this year.

I also find it humorous how most people (myself included) throw themselves into White Orchard, fully exploring and doing absolutely everything, taking in the game. Relative to what comes after and the scope of the adventure, White Orchard is basically a neatly contained tutorial.

I actually left a few stones unturned in White Orchard so I can have an excuse to go back there. An amazing and fairly big area to ease you into the game. Then I got to Velen and looked at the map.

Sebastian-Omg-Jaw-Drop-In-The-Little-Mermaid.gif

erawsd

What are armor kits and how do you get them? I'm in the middle of a dungeon and my silver sword needs to be repaired ><

The kits are used to repair items without going to the blacksmith. Armor kits will repair your armor. Whetstones will repair your weapons. You can buy them or just find them in the world.

Oh, I'm with you! I am having fun and am immersed in the quests and these characters. the world is well realized and beautiful. Enough so that the combat does not distract me nearly enough as it might have.

With that said, I think a little more honesty in those reviews would have benefited people looking for the information they needed to decide whether the poorer elements would have brought the experience down for themselves, rightly or wrongly.

What wasn't touched on in reviews? I don't recall any small text complaints but every one I read talked about technical issues and how Geralt's controls that takes some getting use to.

I'm on blood and broken bones too. Realised through this mission that if you're carrying any alcohol all you need to do is meditate outside of combat, the shortest length even, and all your potions will be refilled. I think I restocked swallow and thunderbolt twice. Good combo for the tougher fights.

Oh wow, I didn't even know that was a thing. Thanks.

Can someone explain how map markers work? I thought someone said that on normal the notable areas appear on the map without any user intervention but on Hard and above you only get markers when you get a clue directing you there. However, playing on Hard, I don't have any points of interest on my map despite getting the tutorial pop-up the first time I pulled notices off of a notice board.

I don't want them to auto-populate Ubi-style but I would like to see them when I get an actual clue to key me in.

BearPawB

Banned
Need help with a minor side quest

"Person in distress"

Found a guy in a cage, he says "there should be a key somewhere around here. can't find a key for the life of me. wandered the whole area

viveks86

Seriously, after 3 hours of actual game time, all I've done is 3 side quests. Keep getting distracted with the world - "Ooh, what's this? Ooh ooh what's that?". And it's just the "starter" map!

This game controls terribly, very clunky.

Combine that with what is seemingly an awful frame rate on Xbox One...yikes. Nothing feels smooth. Not even opening simple menus. I feel input lag at all times and sometimes there is no response at all to button presses. Why, why did I choose to go digital with this title.

Sai

Meh. They limit the number of manual saves just like the 360 version of Witcher 2. I have a tendency to hoard saves, even before I dive into a side mission.

Was/Is it like this in the PC versions of Witcher 2 & 3?

erawsd

Blew through White Orchard last night with a vengeance. Lots of rolling, corpse-stripping, and setting people on fire. The enemies here are pretty vicious in groups, especially drowners. Even if you're laying the smackdown on one, the rest won't wait, opting to charge around to your back and interrupt your hitstring there. Smart.
Really loving the little dialogue touches that pop up with conversations; Geralt is equal parts sweet and smarmy, especially as the rank of the person he's talking to goes up. The BGM, though, almost uniformly sad, even to a bit of a detriment.

The wait was worth it!

Yeah there was a huge pack of Drowners that really kicked my ass last night. They stun you if you try to parry them and they relentlessly attack one after another. Ended with kiting them to a conveniently placed exploding barrel to thin their numbers.

roytheone

Another really useful tip is to ignore lock-on in group fights. Geralt does a really good job auto-tracking like Batman and its much easier to watch all enemies without the camera focused only a single foe.

Ah yes, good idea. I already had several times where I missed hitting an enemy because I was still locked on to another one who walked away.

CaptNink

Is there an e-manual for this game? It seems really overwhelming and I wouldn't mind reading something the next time I'm in the john.

erawsd

Meh. They limit the number of manual saves just like the 360 version of Witcher 2. I have a tendency to hoard saves, even before I dive into a side mission.

Was/Is it like this in the PC versions of Witcher 2 & 3?

No. In fact, the PC version probably needed a limit. My save folder was gargantuan, I had like 3GB of saves.

TMC

COOL BESTBUY.

Damn, that's a bummer. Glad I didn't do in-store pickup on my pre-order. It looks like I got the game and steelbook shipped separately. Can't wait to get off work and play.

Matty8787

Couple of questions:

1: kb/m or controller

2: White Orchid, fully explore or get out as soon as you can ala DA:I

3: Huge maps with plenty of stuff to do scare me, so daunting, reassure me?

Ralemont

not me
Oh wow, just found out that swiping up or down on the touchpad (PS4) opens up the map directly. And when on the map, clicking the touchpad exits straight to the game without having to press circle twice.

Lol, reminds me of when people figured out Left of the D-Pad brought up the map in Inquisition.

Flandy

Can anyone post a photo of the physical goodies that come with the PS4 version?

I have it on preorder but at the last minute decided I was getting the PC version instead. Thinking of just taking the goodies and then trading it for $39 at Best Buy

BearPawB

Banned
putting this on the new page:

Need help with a minor side quest

"Person in distress"

Found a guy in a cage, he says "there should be a key somewhere around here. can't find a key for the life of me. wandered the whole area

ironcreed

Banned
Seriously, after 3 hours of actual game time, all I've done is 3 side quests. Keep getting distracted with the world - "Ooh, what's this? Ooh ooh what's that?". And it's just the "starter" map!

Even in White Orchard there are visual cues that beckon for you to come check things out. I just know that I am going to get utterly lost when I start exploring Velen... and then Skellige.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom