• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

ok i think im close to the end and how much regret i feel right now that i
killed keira, fml
why didnt i load a save to undo my mistake

Edit: my bad forgot the shoulder tags

dedhead54

I kind of wish they hadn't including gwent quests. I kept telling myself I was going to get in to the game but here I am, nearly 100 hours in probably, and I just haven't taken the time to play it. So now I am stuck with multiple gwent secondary quests just sitting in my quest log and I am tired of staring at them. But anyways.

Anyone know roughly how many witcher contracts there are in total? I feel like I have probably done all the ones in Velen, White Orchard, and Novigrad but I haven't picked up any in Skellige that I can recall. I am level 31 and nearing the end of the main quest. Just curious how many may be out there that I have missed.

I kind of wish they hadn't including gwent quests. I kept telling myself I was going to get in to the game but here I am, nearly 100 hours in probably, and I just haven't taken the time to play it. So now I am stuck with multiple gwent secondary quests just sitting in my quest log and I am tired of staring at them. But anyways.

Anyone know roughly how many witcher contracts there are in total? I feel like I have probably done all the ones in Velen, White Orchard, and Novigrad but I haven't picked up any in Skellige that I can recall. I am level 31 and nearing the end of the main quest. Just curious how many may be out there that I have missed.

There are 24 contracts if I am correct, 6 in Skellige.

Xion385

A couple hours into this game and it's fun so far. I just got out of White Orchid trying to look for Emerald dust. I got one so far and made Viper steel.So what is build everyone is generally running? I'm level 4 and I'm looking at it and thinking Rend/Feline Armor down the line. Throw a couple points in Signs.

Any people that beat the game have any general tips?

emag

A couple hours into this game and it's fun so far. I just got out of White Orchid trying to look for Emerald dust. I got one so far and made Viper steel.So what is build everyone is generally running? I'm level 4 and I'm looking at it and thinking Rend/Feline Armor down the line. Throw a couple points in Signs.

It doesn't matter. The game is exceedingly easy, even on death march with no upgrades and no crafting.

The two most popular builds have to be the sign build and the fast attack build. I went with fast attack (and a few sign abilities, like Axii and Quen). You can increase you fast attack damage and critical hit damage & chance a lot in the talent tree, especially with the yellow ability that further increases crits when you wear light armor. The feline gear will give you crazy boosts to attack power.

Sun & Stars is good for all builds when you're just starting out. Well worth that one ability point.

Im struggling on Sword and Story :(

The game has balancing issues, unfortunately. I started on that difficulty, and the game was indeed not a complete push-over, but as you keep playing you'll be overleved in no time. I increased the difficulty again and again, but already in Novigrad the game was easy even on the highest difficulty.

GeeTeeCee

I completed Batman: Arkham Knight today, and now that the Batman fanboy in me is satisfied I'm free to return to The Witcher.

Weirdly, as I'd stopped playing just after reaching Skellige for the first time I feel like my absence fits the narrative of a long journey between Velen and the Skellige Isles. Or something.

d3vnull

I usually don't care that much about getting all achievements but I wanted to do them all in this game. Just got the last one and what a pain it was.

Poor bandits at devil's pit.

Ey8mLVe.jpg

This round of boozin at
Kaer Mohren
is getting so crunk I had to pause the game and make myself a cocktail. No turning back now.

I wonder if this will top Witcher 2's drunk quest.

Edit: Unfortunately it didn't.
Yen busted us in her clothes after fucking with the megascope and told Geralt to get to bed.
Eh...still worth it.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
So... the huge tower in north of Novigrad... do we even get to enter it sometime? I beated the game, but I forgot if it even happens, lol. Too big of a game.

By the way, is there a list somewhere of easily missable sidequests like that vampire hiding in the sewers of Novigrad or that lone dude on some deserted island north of the main land of Skellige?

Alright, I just finished Final Preparations and Reason of State. I'm now on the quest "Battle Preparations", I assume it's pretty much a straight shot from here to the end? Anything I should know before going forward?

I understand you can keep playing after completing the story, so it doesn't matter if I have lots of stuff unfinished (side quests in various towns, contracts etc)?

Verger

Banned
Dammit, why'd they have to make Triss so adorable in this game? I swear from my recollections of W1 and W2 she was nowhere near this level of affectionate towards Geralt. And in particular it felt in W1 like she was using him blatantly and taking liberal advantage of his amnesia.

Yeah, I'm trying a Yennifer playthrough my first time. But ironically I haven't seen much of her in 60 hours because I've not yet gone to Skellige :(

But of course that has meant I've had to "friendzone" Triss at every opportunity without being too uncaring. But it still feels wrong :(

Dammit, why'd they have to make Triss so adorable in this game? I swear from my recollections of W1 and W2 she was nowhere near this level of affectionate towards Geralt. And in particular it felt in W1 like she was using him blatantly and taking liberal advantage of his amnesia.

Yeah, I'm trying a Yennifer playthrough my first time. But ironically I haven't seen much of her in 60 hours because I've not yet gone to Skellige :(

But of course that has meant I've had to "friendzone" Triss at every opportunity without being too uncaring. But it still feels wrong :(

Because it is wrong.

Triss is the real #1

Verger

Banned
Because it is wrong.

Triss is the real #1

Heh, I get that Triss could probably be considered Geralt's true love in the Game canon since she was the focus for most of the trilogy, where as Yen AFAIK was not even mentioned in W1 and only a fable in W2.

However I guess I wanted to match book canon for my playthrough. But like I said I was wholly unprepared for how sympathetic they'd make Triss and how she clearly adored Geralt, something which wasn't all that IMO in the previous games.

Heh, I get that Triss could probably be considered Geralt's true love in the Game canon since she was the focus for most of the trilogy, where as Yen AFAIK was not even mentioned in W1 and only a fable in W2.

However I guess I wanted to match book canon for my playthrough. But like I said I was wholly unprepared for how sympathetic they'd make Triss and how she clearly adored Geralt, something which wasn't all that IMO in the previous games.

Ahhh ok. I actually didn't play W1 or W2 and haven't read the books, this is my first venture into Witcher lore. I just immediately liked Triss better and felt she was a better fit for Geralt

Verger

Banned
Ahhh ok. I actually didn't play W1 or W2 and haven't read the books, this is my first venture into Witcher lore. I just immediately liked Triss better and felt she was a better fit for Geralt
Yeah, in W1 she was kind of distant and seemingly a bit manipulative, there's also a scene where she's conspiring with one of the Lodge (most likely the psycho Phillipa Eilheart) behind Geralt's back, though it's never elaborated upon.

In W2 she is more fleshed out and definitely seems to have Geralt's back. But there's still an inkling of doubt about her especially with the plotting of the Lodge against the Kings.

But indeed, from the very start of this game Triss is very warm, approachable, flirty and actually quite selfless given how she's trying to help the persecuted. Like I said it was a very dramatic and stark change from how I previously perceived her in prior games which took me by surprise.

Even though you do not need to play the original games to appreciate W3's story and characters, it does add a nice dimension to them seeing from whence they came to how they ended up, for better and worse ;)

Finally got to Skellige. Beautiful place!
TBH I'm still not overly impressed by the game – the open world is great, the combat mostly fun if easy (on blood and broken bones).
There are still some things that bug me that I can't ignore. On PS4: the frame rate is way too unstable. I can deal with a few dips but here rain, the swamp, Novigrad, and Igni almost always crush the frame rate.
Other problems I have with the game is combat in small rooms (very finicky) and, sadly, the story so far. I'm sure it gets better but the only bright spot till where I'm at now was the bloody baron quest line. The whole Novigrad ark almost made me give up on the game. I'm sure it picks up soon since so many people praise the story but still, I'm a bit disappointed.

The acting and writing is superb though, despite the plot.

Radec

Didn't know drowners on death march don't die in 1 hit underwater. Lol

Still level 4 on Bloody Baron quest. Death March is amazingly hard and satisfying.

You get more out of her in the second game~ :p

:)

Anyway, exploring the Skellige archipelago has been one of the most incredible experiences I've ever had in a game.
Just sailing from island to island, taking in the atmosphere and the breathtaking music, wondering what I'll come across next.
It's amazing.

Exentryk

Anyway, exploring the Skellige archipelago has been one of the most incredible experiences I've ever had in a game.
Just sailing from island to island, taking in the atmosphere and the breathtaking music, wondering what I'll come across next.
It's amazing.

Yup. I'm over 200 hours and still can't get enough of this game.

1435913947-snow.gif

By the way, did anybody else wonder what an abandoned siege tower was doing in Ard Skellig of all places? Did Nilfgaard try to invade at some point? It seems pretty pointless in any case considering that there are no castles in the area.

Unfortunately, having Cat active all the time (to see anything at all indoors/in caves) ruined the game's beauty for me.

Is your brightness really low? I only ever used Cat about 5-6 times in my entire playthrough, and immediately deactivated it as soon as I stepped outside. I almost always used the torch though, since I found it far more atmospheric.

Coreda

Unfortunately, having Cat active all the time (to see anything at all indoors/in caves) ruined the game's beauty for me.

It's blinding outdoors, looks like overexposed IR film. Just take the White Honey potion or meditate.

Yup. I'm over 200 hours and still can't get enough of this game.

One day this forum will support WebM/Mp4 natively and we'll make a high res moving stills thread. Really is the best way to appreciate the game's design.

Ark

I only ever used the Cat potion in large, sprawling caves. Once I was out of a cave though I'd use the potion that removed any existing effects.

So apparently I'm not the only one who was upset with how romancing Triss seemed to have zero impact on the overall story.

Just found out there was an almost 1000 page thread on the official forums about it and CD Projekt RED are going to be making changes as they arn't happy with it either.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
So apparently I'm not the only one who was upset with how romancing Triss seemed to have zero impact on the overall story.

Just found out there was an almost 1000 page thread on the official forums about it and CD Projekt RED are going to be making changes as they arn't happy with it either.

A little too late for me, no way i'm going to make another 100 hours replay just to see those Triss changes. My next playthrough will be Yen, should have gone with her first. =/

Alpende

I pretty much did most of the things I want to do. I got almost all trophies except for the Gwent ones and the Fast and Furious one but that one's bugged for me.

I might delve into Gwent but I get my ass handed to me. Where can I find some easier opponents to practice on?

I only used Cat once throughout the whole game. It sounds like you need to fix the brightness of your screen, because you seem to think Cat is required.

Alpende

Some caves are really dark though, Cat helps. Having buffed up Cat sucks though. I've never used cat for longer than a minute or two. Who needs 8 or more?

ramyeon

Some caves are really dark though, Cat helps. Having buffed up Cat sucks though. I've never used cat for longer than a minute or two. Who needs 8 or more?
I just never had the need to use it. Always preferred the torch, wasn't as effective sure, but the atmosphere it gave to caves was much better.

Alpende

I just never had the need to use it. Always preferred the torch, wasn't as effective sure, but the atmosphere it gave to caves was much better.

Agreed, I stopped using Cat and went with the torch as well.

For the new page:

I pretty much did most of the things I want to do. I got almost all trophies except for the Gwent ones and the Fast and Furious one but that one's bugged for me.

I might delve into Gwent but I get my ass handed to me. Where can I find some easier opponents to practice on?

Well the weaker Gwent opponents are obviously in the same place where you find easier monsters and quests too. Gwent gets progressively harder just like the game does. First Velen, then Novigrad and finally Skellige.

Do note though that if you didn't play Gwent in the story missions where you had the option too, you can't get all the cards (unless they patch them in some other way later).

Alpende

Well the weaker Gwent opponents are obviously in the same place where you find easier monsters and quests too. Gwent gets progressively harder just like the game does. First Velen, then Novigrad and finally Skellige.

Do note though that if you didn't play Gwent in the story missions where you had the option too, you can't get all the cards (unless they patch them in some other way later).

I know, I just want to get good / familiar with Gwent and collect all the cards in NG+ if that is coming.

Gwent isn't all that much of a challenge IMO.

I avoided it for so long because I thought it required a higher degree of patience/skill.

It's pretty easy to outsmart the AI.

Gwent isn't all that much of a challenge IMO.

I avoided it for so long because I thought it required a higher degree of patience/skill.

It's pretty easy to outsmart the AI.

Once you get some decent cards it becomes incredibly easy. Chances are you'll play all of Novigrad and Skellige without losing once, except for the Gwent tournament in Novigrad which can in fact be tricky. After a while I stopped using the Northern Realms deck for random NPCs because it got too easy. It's fun to play around with the other decks.

A little too late for me, no way i'm going to make another 100 hours replay just to see those Triss changes. My next playthrough will be Yen, should have gone with her first. =/

YouTube is your friend then.

I'm holding off my next playthrough until the changes drop. Gotta work on some of the other back catalog.

Still haven't beaten GTA V

Top Bottom