• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Is it possible to sell decoctions, potions, etc.? I have a few that I don't use at all and want to get them out of my inventory. Thanks.

sora87

Just finished it. Holy shit, I was
generally upset when I thought Ciri had died.. then when you see her in the tavern the smile was beaming from my face.
What a game, pretty much perfect for what it is. It's going to take a lot for any RPG to top it this gen.

Yeef

Is it possible to sell decoctions, potions, etc.? I have a few that I don't use at all and want to get them out of my inventory. Thanks.
No, but you can drop them and they'll just be deleted. Not sure you can rebrew them afterward, but I would imagine so.

But, do you want to get rid of them for weight reasons or just to reduce clutter? If it's the former, you're better off getting rid of the miscellaneous items in the last tab; especially the animal hides.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Man, this game is just massive. I'm at 54 hours according to GOG and still haven't gone to Skellige yet. Level 19 now and I think I've done just about all of the major side missions in Velen and Novigrad, so I'm just about ready to make the journey, but there are a few contracts and treasure hunts I want to take care of first.

d3vnull

Just did the new DLC quest with the witcher from the cat school. I just wish he would've complemented me on my mastercrafted Cat school gear.

Didn't he? I thought he said something like "nice feline armor".
Had to kill him though. Couldn't let such a dangerous witcher live. He dropped a nice lvl 36 steel sword.

Didn't he? I thought he said something like "nice feline armor".
Had to kill him though. Couldn't let such a dangerous witcher live. He dropped a nice lvl 36 steel sword.

No, he said nothing in conversation, though when you approach him he says "a wolf with a feline armor; what kind of crossbread is this?" or something similar. No mention of it being mastercrafted or of it being nice :(

Interesting; I let him live. If he was stabbed in the back with a pitchfork over a few crowns, being treated as garbage, I could see it from his perspective. Geralt brought up the story of him being a butcherer too. He told me the location of his stash, which contained a level 32 steel sword (I assume it's the same as yours, level-scaled?), quite a bit of money and a letter of how the Cat school has fallen. Did you get to go to the stash too?

Berto

8865FCD495462977382B142CAFB0E8ED90867A7E
latest

d3vnull

Interesting; I let him live. If he was stabbed in the back with a pitchfork over a few crowns, being treated as garbage, I could see it from his perspective. Geralt brought up the story of him being a butcherer too. He told me the location of his stash, which contained a level 32 steel sword (I assume it's the same as yours, level-scaled?), quite a bit of money and a letter of how the Cat school has fallen. Did you get to go to the stash too?

I would have been ok with him killing the people in the barn but he then slaughtered the whole village including helpless women. That's where my Geralt drew the line. I did not get to his stash. He only had a level 1 silver sword and the nice steel sword, which was probably the same as yours. I was lvl 36 when I did the quest.

Solidsoul

Banned
I am at the part in the main story where
i'm in a cavern with Phillipa messing around with mirrors
, how close am I to the end of the game?

Fbh

So, any tips on how to get good at Gwent?

I think I screwed up by not paying much attention to it at first and now I don't seem to be able to build a decent deck. I even have to play the random merchants several times to win because it seems like even they have at least 2 hero card (I just have one) and tons of cards with abilities.
Even when I beat them they just give me random cards which 90% of the time are for other decks (I'm playing with the Northernm realm)

So, any tips on how to get good at Gwent?

I think I screwed up by not paying much attention to it at first and now I don't seem to be able to build a decent deck. I even have to play the random merchants several times to win because it seems like even they have at least 2 hero card (I just have one) and tons of cards with abilities.
Even when I beat them they just give me random cards which 90% of the time are for other decks (I'm playing with the Northernm realm)

First of all, always buy all available Gwent cards from merchants (iirc, it's the innkeeps that sell them; you can get those sold by the innkeep in White Orchard from the merchant nearby after the prologue - the one you saved from the Griffin at the start of the game). Buying the cards from all the innkeeps in the White Orchard, Velen and Novigrad areas should give you a decent deck to start out with. Playing random opponents isn't that useful imho because the rewards are mostly random (it's necessary if you want to get every card though).

Secondly, the good stuff (hero cards, spies, etc.) is not won by playing random opponents. You get them by playing quest related opponents. You should have a Gwent quest for every major area in your log that points you to these opponents. The ones in Velen are the easiest, then Novigrad, then Skellige. If you've already progressed too far in the story, some of them might not be available anymore.

So, in short: visit every innkeep and buy every Gwent card available. Then go play the opponents from the Velen Gwent quest.

SkyB

Banned
Just finished the game 2 days ago. Still have to do the witcher contract clean up my trophies I missed. Game was a blast so much to do in it, wish I played on death match. Game got Too easy at the end once you have the right gear and tech.

Just finished the game 2 days ago. Still have to do the witcher contract clean up my trophies I missed. Game was a blast so much to do in it, wish I played on death match. Game got Too easy at the end once you have the right gear and tech.

You can increase the difficulty in a started game, of course. I switched to death march when I was just half-way through Novigrad.

Damn they fucked up the romance.
Hasn't even visited Skellige yet and I had to decide to choose Triss or not as I did quest Now or Never in Novigrad.
=/

Been playing since launch and finally beat the game. Decided it was also time to change avatar yet again; this time for the real MVP.

Not sure how I feel about the ending. I really feel like a lot of things could have been expanded on and I wanted to know more about what happened to certain characters, and there could have been more grand events. I feel a little bit irritated by it, to be completely honest. I'll return to finish up the last few quests. When NG+ drops I might give it another spin, but a game this big probably won't be as fun the second time, at least not until one waits a year-or-two before the second go.

Solidsoul

Banned
Wow, i just beat the game and...what a masterpiece. Seriously loved it from beginning to end.

Thank god, i got the good ending.

Xion385

Is Gwent worth doing? I feel like I won't do it unless there is xp or items worth doing it for.

Also, did you guys craft every single alchemy item? Would you even have enough money to do it?

Is Gwent worth doing? I feel like I won't do it unless there is xp or items worth doing it for.

Also, did you guys craft every single alchemy item? Would you even have enough money to do it?

"Worth doing"? You won't get too much money out of it, but it's really fun, so there's that.

Craft whatever alchemy items you want. As for money, I finished the game with close to 40 000 crowns. Trivial expenses are trivial.

Starting the game now, what is the recommended difficulty for maximum enjoyment (and not frustation)?

Start on normal or hard but increase difficulty to max after a while. The game has balancing issues. It's starts hard but gets incredibly easy after a while.

Sai

In retrospect, I wish I did my first run through the game on Death March. Just gets too easy once you start approaching Lv10 and crafting Witcher gear.

There comes a point where you can leisurely stroll through Death March too, unfortunately. Starts out a lil' rough, early parts of Velen felt just right, but once you get to Novigrad... Difficulty wasn't balanced well at all.

[EDIT] - So, I'm getting to a point where winning Gwent matches with merchants no longer rewards me with new cards. So, my collection's probably almost complete. Gotta get the unique cards from Skellige, play Lambert, and win the tournament.

SkyB

Banned
In retrospect, I wish I did my first run through the game on Death March. Just gets too easy once you start approaching Lv10 and crafting Witcher gear.

There comes a point where you can leisurely stroll through Death March too, unfortunately. Starts out a lil' rough, early parts of Velen felt just right, but once you get to Novigrad... Difficulty wasn't balanced well at all.

[EDIT] - So, I'm getting to a point where winning Gwent matches with merchants no longer rewards me with new cards. So, my collection's probably almost complete. Gotta get the unique cards from Skellige, play Lambert, and win the tournament.
Same wish I had play death match fro
The start for the trophy, after like lv 20 didn't even die anymore.

How should loot be approached in this game? Im just looting everything that i see and i dont know what any of it is used for. Also should i enter every house to loot?

Rootbeer

Banned
WOW The Great Erasmus Vegelbud Memorial Derby quest is seriously pissing me off. On the final race, you can't get even a tiny bit off the trail or it fails. And the 90 second load times to load it up each time aren't helping.

I am so terrible at anything regarding racing. Sigh.

Coreda

I am so terrible at anything regarding racing. Sigh.

The only race I found really frustrating was the one in Novigrad where there's money on you winning. Must have retried at least 4 times until I read EatChildren's tip about the AI. Best thing to have is the highest stamina saddle you can find and then races are pretty easy.

Yeef

The only race I found really frustrating was the one in Novigrad where there's money on you winning. Must have retried at least 4 times until I read EatChildren's tip about the AI. Best thing to have is the highest stamina saddle you can find and then races are pretty easy.
I thought all of the races were easy (and boring). The one that gave me a bit of trouble was the final one in Skellige. There's a bridge toward the end and for whatever reason, Roach seems to hate bridges as much as Geralt hates portals and refuses to cross them without stopping to think about it for a few minutes.

Do Mutagen Decoctions get replenished by strong alcohols when you meditate, or are they single use items that have to be crafted each time?

Coreda

I thought all of the races were easy (and boring).

With an intelligent AI and exciting race design it could have been a whole lot more fun. I also find Roach's jump control is kind of strange, as if there's a timed delay.

Do Mutagen Decoctions get replenished by strong alcohols when you meditate, or are they single use items that have to be crafted each time?

They get replenished.

Trojan

Holy shit, I didn't realize how badly you can exploit the jumping/rolling mechanic to "climb" massive mountain ranges in a minute or two. Not sure if this was from some of the control updates they've made recently, but manuevering Geralt on steep grades is hilariously broken.

But...even though it's ridiculous and breaks continuity, I'm having too much fun spamming somersaults all the way up 75-degree cliff faces in Skellige.

Prodigal

Banned
Could someone let me know how far I am in the grand scheme of things?
I just got the quests to go to each zone to recruit friends to send back to Kaer Morhen. Also, how do I get Dijkstra to join me? I must have missed something.

Holy shit, I didn't realize how badly you can exploit the jumping/rolling mechanic to "climb" massive mountain ranges in a minute or two. Not sure if this was from some of the control updates they've made recently, but manuevering Geralt on steep grades is hilariously broken.

But...even though it's ridiculous and breaks continuity, I'm having too much fun spamming somersaults all the way up 75-degree cliff faces in Skellige.
The other funny thing is that Geralt can be killed by a 10 foot drop, but Roach is invincible. You can get him to jump off the side of a mountain and you'll be fine :)

I just got the quests to go to each zone to recruit friends to send back to Kaer Morhen. Also, how do I get Dijkstra to join me? I must have missed something.
You have a lot further to go than you think, but Act 1 is behind you and that's the bulk of the game.

Also, you can't, so don't panic. As I'm pretty sure he tells you,
it's not the sort of situation where he'd be useful anyway.

You're about half-way through Act 2.

Also, you can't, so don't panic. As I'm pretty sure he tells you,
it's not the sort of situation where he'd be useful anyway.

No, you can get
Dijkstra to help you. He will not come himself, he will give you financial aid. You have to fully succeed the quest with Dijkstra, which means doing very specific things.

How do you unlock High Stakes? I've started the story in Skellige and completed all the Gwent quests but I can't find anywhere that lists when High Stakes unlocks :/

How should loot be approached in this game? Im just looting everything that i see and i dont know what any of it is used for. Also should i enter every house to loot?

Loot everything for a while to build up a collection but once you hit Novigrad you probably have everything you will need aside from looting corpses/treasure.

Don't worry about checking every house.

CoolOff

I thought all of the races were easy (and boring). The one that gave me a bit of trouble was the final one in Skellige. There's a bridge toward the end and for whatever reason, Roach seems to hate bridges as much as Geralt hates portals and refuses to cross them without stopping to think about it for a few minutes.

There's a bridge in the Crow's Perch race as well and I was literally screaming at Roach after the sixth time in a row of him grinding to a halt in front of it.

Yeah Roach is terrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrible. I refuse to use him outside of races so I think I share Geralt's love of them lol. I only had one or two instances of Roach wigging out during a race thankfully, still very annoying.

There's a bridge in the Crow's Perch race as well and I was literally screaming at Roach after the sixth time in a row of him grinding to a halt in front of it.

Yeah, it's incredibly annoying, same issue when racing against
Lambert because of the bridge at the entrance of Kaer Morhen, which to make it even worse is right before the finish line.

zoukka

Not really feeling the story, seems like your basic generic fantasy cliches all around. Also the world seems really flat coming straight from bb, no mountains or real big changes in elevation at all. The music that plays everywhere depresses me, can't believe it plays in the goddamn cut-scenes and all dialogue scenes as well...

Alpende

Not really feeling the story, seems like your basic generic fantasy cliches all around. Also the world seems really flat coming straight from bb, no mountains or real big changes in elevation at all. The music that plays everywhere depresses me, can't believe it plays in the goddamn cut-scenes and all dialogue scenes as well...

In Skellige there is a lot of elevation. Velen is just a little flatter, I also dig the music in Skellige more.

Top Bottom