• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

JoeNut

no it was in velen near the bottom of the left hand side of the map, i was just exploring and had been destroying level 5 cannibals all over the place

For a new page; just finished the Baron sidequest. And goddamn. I have owned this game since I picked up my PS4 a couple of months ago, but it's just now clicked for me. I finished Arkham Knight and so figured I'd really sink my teeth into the game. And wow.

DocSeuss

I cannot kill Finneas in the card quest. Can't counter him, he doesn't have a stun animation like I do, he doesn't care that I dodge and punching air does damage to me, and on and on and on...

no it was in velen near the bottom of the left hand side of the map, i was just exploring and had been destroying level 5 cannibals all over the place

I think that one's level 25-ish, he's roaming near where you do the quet with Keira. Quite a surprise when I ran into him for the first time.

The Archgriffin in Skellige is a bit more badass, though. Wait until you find him. ;)

danthefan

So, I've tried a bit of Gwent and I just have no interest.

An I missing out in much in terms of game content? Can I just skip it and still have a full experience of the game overall?

Dat 1.07 patch

• Introduces a number of improvements in the game streaming system. Players should experience fewer blurred textures, NPC spawn times should be markedly reduced, and there should be an overall improvement in the speed with which game assets are loaded. Streaming system improvements should be most noticeable on consoles and systems with non-SSD drives.
  • Improves performance in the swamps of the No Man's Land region.

Yiss.

Hey guys, I need advice.

This game looks awesome, problem is :
1°) I have nearly never played a WRPG (but I love JRPGs).
2°) I have The Witcher 2, and in order to follow the story and feel more invested in the caracters, I tried to play it for 5 hours, and while the presentation, the art style, the story and the setting are awesome, I didn't have fun with it. Especially with the combat system.

What are the chances I'll enjoy this one ? Thanks.

hitgirl

This game has sort sort of fake HDR filter it seems, even if you have every post processing thing turned off. I'm not crazy right? It seems extremely contrasty (for lack of better terms), much more than Witcher 2. The skybox and light reflections are extremely bright while they shadow a lot of the areas. I notice this looks really good when you are standing still, but I sort of prefer The Witcher 2's look.

dedhead54

Hey guys, I need advice.

This game looks awesome, problem is :
1°) I have nearly never played a WRPG (but I love JRPGs).
2°) I have The Witcher 2, and in order to follow the story and feel more invested in the caracters, I tried to play it for 5 hours, and while the presentation, the art style, the story and the setting are awesome, I didn't have fun with it. Especially with the combat system.

What are the chances I'll enjoy this one ? Thanks.

Well, I have never played W1 or W2 and the only WRPG I have ever played is Skyrim (50-60 hrs). I'm currently somewhere a little over 100 hours in to Witcher 3 and it is one of my favorite games of all time. It is magical, in my opinion.

Get it.

Denton

An I missing out in much in terms of game content? Can I just skip it and still have a full experience of the game overall?

You will miss one very cool quest in Novigrad, that starts with Gwent tournament. Other than that pretty much nothing. But I really recommend giving it a solid chance. I had zero interest in it too, then I forced myself to play few games, understand the rules, and ended playing everyone everywhere, buying and winning all the cards. Despite never actually playing any CCG in real life (and having any interest to do so).

You'll miss out on the High Stakes Gwent Tournament quest. It's pretty fun and it ends up being more than just playing Gwent. That's the only thing I can really think of.

danthefan

You'll miss out on the High Stakes Gwent Tournament quest. It's pretty fun and it ends up being more than just playing Gwent. That's the only thing I can really think of.

You will miss one very cool quest in Novigrad, that starts with Gwent tournament. Other than that pretty much nothing. But I really recommend giving it a solid chance. I had zero interest in it too, then I forced myself to play few games, understand the rules, and ended playing everyone everywhere, buying and winning all the cards. Despite never actually playing any CCG in real life (and having any interest to do so).

You will miss absolutely nothing.

It is just some extra content to lengthen the game.

Thanks all. I might have another game or two but I can't even bring myself to learn the rules. If it's one quest I can live with that.

dedhead54

Hmm. I had no idea that this quest had any content other than playing gwent. Maybe I will finally work on the gwent quests that I have in my list.

Fucking hell, now I really regret choosing
Yen
as my woman. Saying goodbye to
Triss
was a real bitch.

I also hit like 3 or 4 bugs during that quest that on PS4.

weevles

Fucking hell, now I really regret choosing
Yen
as my woman. Saying goodbye to
Triss
was a real bitch.

I also hit like 3 or 4 bugs during that quest that on PS4.

Funny I just did
The Last Wish
last night where I ended up dumping
Yen
. I know it's just a video game, but fuck if I didn't get legit sad listening to the dialog after. I mean, as soon as Geralt dropped the bomb and she reacted, I instantly regretted my decision lol. I think I made the right choice based on the way the story has played out for me so far (backstory, previous games/books not withstanding), but still it really felt like breaking up with someone for real and for a moment I was like shit what did I just do lol. This fucking game man...

Philippo

When you take a contract to clear a farm from monsters and it turns out to be
fucking Letho of Ghule

8pTSVjV.gif

Funny I just did
The Last Wish
last night where I ended up dumping
Yen
. I know it's just a video game, but fuck if I didn't get legit sad listening to the dialog after. I mean, as soon as Geralt dropped the bomb and she reacted, I instantly regretted my decision lol. I think I made the right choice based on the way the story has played out for me so far (backstory, previous games/books not withstanding), but still it really felt like breaking up with someone for real and for a moment I was like shit what did I just do lol. This fucking game man...

indiana_jones_grail_knight-you-have-chosen-poorly.jpg

Alchemist

Slightly off topic, but can anyone confirm if save files are locked in any way on PS4? I planned on trading in my physical to buy the digital version but heard there were problems?

On my second playthrough - how would people recommend playing Act 1?

First time around I did Velen first (Baron etc), then Novigrad, and lastly Skellige. I found Novigrad's questline pretty dull and was completely overleveled for most of Skellige. The Baron questline is probably the best in the game.

So this time I'm thinking of getting Novigrad outta the way first, then Skellige, and finally Velen.

Damn, I got hit with the Dimerterium Bomb glitch. I've been playing for a while and just noticed my Sign Intensity is like 700 and I have 16000 vitality. Nothing even dents me anymore, and it has made the game alot less fun.

Man, I just unlocked the Whirl (spin attack) skill (third one down on the Fast Attack tier) and I'm having a blast with it. It singlehandedly makes the combat much more enjoyable.

It also works really well in tandem with Quen... just pop Quen, move in close, and hold down X or LMB and enjoy dishing out ridiculous DPS while your shield absorbs most if not all of the incoming blows!

Hey so quick question for the witcher 3 crowd: I played witcher 1 about 30 hours and for whatever reason got bored and couldnt finish it (I think I was most of the way through the swamp from what I remember). I bought witcher 2 and played for like 2 hours but just couldnt get into it. But I love RPGs to death, dont know what my problem is. Should I get witcher 3? is it better/different somehow?

M3z_

Hey so quick question for the witcher 3 crowd: I played witcher 1 about 30 hours and for whatever reason got bored and couldnt finish it (I think I was most of the way through the swamp from what I remember). I bought witcher 2 and played for like 2 hours but just couldnt get into it. But I love RPGs to death, dont know what my problem is. Should I get witcher 3? is it better/different somehow?

It's very similar to Witcher 2 except in terms of scale, and some gameplay tweaks that make things easier, but not necessarily better. I'd say if you didn't like Witcher 2 then it's hard to believe you will find Witcher 3 that much more compelling, unless a large open world is just one of those things you absolutely love.

It's very similar to Witcher 2 except in terms of scale, and some gameplay tweaks that make things easier, but not necessarily better. I'd say if you didn't like Witcher 2 then it's hard to believe you will find Witcher 3 that much more compelling, unless a large open world is just one of those things you absolutely love.

I can't comment since played and loved Witcher 2 before Witcher 3, but people on the last few pages have been saying the complete opposite.

Sounds like it's pretty mixed. A lot of people who didn't like the past Witcher games love Witcher 3.

I'm almost exactly the same way. Hated the combat in the first game and got bored and didn't finish (somewhere in act 3).

Got bored with the W2 sometime after leaving Flotsam.

Love TW3 and think it's one of my all time favorite games.

RyudBoy

Finally got the Master Marksman achievement. I never want to go through that again. The hit detection for headshots is ass!

Finally got the Master Marksman achievement. I never want to go through that again. The hit detection for headshots is ass!
I feel your pain.

FWIW, I (eventually) found the best way to do it was to use Axii to stagger them so that they bent forwards, and then stand at their 9 o'clock. When you shoot at their head that way, you either get a headshot or miss them entirely since their head is bent so far forwards. Most of the hitbox problems seem to be camera perspective vs the crossbow fired from the left hand. That approach mostly eliminates that issue.

I finally had the time to read through that patch log and the changes in that list are pretty substantial, especially those performance fixes and the amount of quests that were actually broken and are now fixed as well.

It makes you realize how huge this game actually is.

Top Bottom