• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

I think Kamiya mentioned he put just about everything into this game, so I wouldn't count on DLC. You got a huge 15-hour action game, about a billion different secrets, 100+ heroes to find, 15 secret characters to unlock, Platinum trophies to achieve, figures to find, bottle caps to earn, etc. You'll get your money's worth if you willing to invest.

I think Kamiya mentioned he put just about everything into this game, so I wouldn't count on DLC. You got a huge 15-hour action game, about a billion different secrets, 100+ heroes to find, 15 secret characters to unlock, Platinum trophies to achieve, figures to find, bottle caps to earn, etc. You'll get your money's worth if you willing to invest.
Kamiya also tends to be opposed to DLC, and thinks the game should ship in a finished and complete state.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Kamiya also tends to be opposed to DLC, and thinks the game should ship in a finished and complete state.

That's not true. Alot of people seem to like to project that opinion onto him though

He spelled out his thoughts during the SFxT reaction actually.

https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/181631209217064960

https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/181631333477531648

https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/181631272735621120

but people can rest easy in regards to 101

I wonder how much the secret characters will add to this game. The extra characters in Viewtiful Joe and Bayonetta added a huge amount of value for me, so I hope the characters in this game make a big difference.

That's not true. Alot of people seem to like to project that opinion onto him though

He spelled out his thoughts during the SFxT reaction actually.

https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/181631209217064960

https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/181631333477531648

https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/181631272735621120

but people can rest easy in regards to 101
That's how he feels about it as an industry standard. I'm talking about his own game creation philosophy.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
That's how he feels about it as an industry standard. I'm talking about his own game creation philosophy.

You're still projecting and twisting his words...

https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/252950052711047168

https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/354257393342885888

https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/354542999478345728

To my knowledge DLC is almost always more of a publisher decision than a developer one anyways.

So if you want to blame anyone for Kamiya's "creation philosophy" I'd blame fortunate timing (Bayonetta began development and was released before DLC was a common practice) and publishing partners(Nintendo typically doesn't produce games with DLC) more than anything.

mcmmaster

Wow just wow... I am breathless after finishing this game, time clocked in at 12:20 on normal.

TW101 is by far the most exhilarating action game I have ever played, this game, seriously this game. Everything from the solid, deep and fun combat system, to the inspiring impactful soundtrack, to the beautiful aesthetics, to the engaging level design, to the hilarious witty humour, to the likeable vibrant cast of characters, to the EPIC storyline... EVERYTHING is such a delight and just generally a huge adrenaline rush. I don't care what any reviewer says, this game is a masterpiece in my books. The crazy thing is I haven't even touched the new difficulty modes yet, I just know it's going to keep getting better from here on mashing this game.

The final boss theme for this game gave me such a huge rush I was starting to sweat xD, seriously when this track played about 30 seconds in I had to pause the game and hook up my headphones as fast as I could... there was no way I was gonna go about this final fight without headphones blasting through my ears. This final boss theme is so grand, I've been in the sound gallery playing this track on repeat for about over an hour now... in my opinion it tops The Greatest Jubilee from Bayo 1. Hoping the game gets a soundtrack release because I need this beauty in my game soundtrack collection.

Wrapping up, I truly can't remember the last game that made made me have such a huge smile on my face after beating it, this was such a wonderful experience I will never forget. Thank you Hideki Kamiya and the rest of the team at PG for crafting such a masterpiece. I guarantee you I will be coming back to this game for the rest of my life. If I ever meet any of the PG team that worked on this I will be sure to bow to them at least 101 times to express how much fun I had playing this game.

And one last thing, PG have got to release that image at the end of the credits, I NEED DAT as a my desktop wallpaper.

Frodo

I'm still on chapter 3, I've been replaying some of the earlier levels over and over again.

I'm trying to get a platinum medal on the second boss, but I keep on failing on
that part when the boss moves away from the tower to throw the big GEATHJERK spaceship it is using as an arm at the tower and the time slows down and Pink or Green appear on the screen (there is a pink Jet fighter flying over when the time slows down, and Pink says "bad boy!"), but I don't know what to do. It may be timing, but drawing the Whip or the Pistol doesn't seem to work. I think it might be pretty obvious what you are supposed to do, but I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Welp

Hag

So who's the composer of the game? I see that people already finished it. I don't think its masami ueda because of bayo2 so I'm curious

mcmmaster

That's... that's saying a lot.

The Greatest Jubilee was my fav final boss theme before hearing this, I've still got TW101 final boss theme blasting through my headphones right now so i'm definitely sticking to that statement lol. This track is so much more than just being epic, was more magical and inspiring during this final fight when compared to Bayo's, you can definitely hear some influences from The Greatest Jubilee so it only seems natural it would top it.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Is it me or does the Unite Block (forget the official name, the ZL block) have some non-invincible start-up on it? Sometimes I feel like I blocked just in time but I have the feeling that when everyone starts to unite there's no invincibility on it, so I get screwed.

Also is there any way to tell the size of your Unite attack? For some of the attacks I don't care like Hand and Sword but Unite Gun has different properties so I'd like to know when I'm passing a "size" threshold.

Highwind

Just completed this on normal....

And holy shit........HOLY SHIT. 0.0

That's all I have to say about my experience.

Unlocked the sound gallery and hard mode....haha fuck that, I need to cool off after that rollercoaster.

_Clash_

Wow just wow... I am breathless after finishing this game, time clocked in at 12:20 on normal.

TW101 is by far the most exhilarating action game I have ever played, this game, seriously this game. Everything from the solid, deep and fun combat system, to the inspiring impactful soundtrack, to the beautiful aesthetics, to the engaging level design, to the hilarious witty humour, to the likeable vibrant cast of characters, to the EPIC storyline... EVERYTHING is such a delight and just generally a huge adrenaline rush. I don't care what any reviewer says, this game is a masterpiece in my books. The crazy thing is I haven't even touched the new difficulty modes yet, I just know it's going to keep getting better from here on mashing this game.

The final boss theme for this game gave me such a huge rush I was starting to sweat xD, seriously when this track played about 30 seconds in I had to pause the game and hook up my headphones as fast as I could... there was no way I was gonna go about this final fight without headphones blasting through my ears. This final boss theme is so grand, I've been in the sound gallery playing this track on repeat for about over an hour now... in my opinion it tops The Greatest Jubilee from Bayo 1. Hoping the game gets a soundtrack release because I need this beauty in my game soundtrack collection.

Wrapping up, I truly can't remember the last game that made made me have such a huge smile on my face after beating it, this was such a wonderful experience I will never forget. Thank you Hideki Kamiya and the rest of the team at PG for crafting such a masterpiece. I guarantee you I will be coming back to this game for the rest of my life. If I ever meet any of the PG team that worked on this I will be sure to bow to them at least 101 times to express how much fun I had playing this game.

And one last thing, PG have got to release that image at the end of the credits, I NEED DAT as a my desktop wallpaper.

Nice one. definitely taps into a sense of glee few games manage.

Game creates a hell of an argument for purchase. Will sell Wii U's. Can't wait to finish it and see where the franchise goes.

Llyranor

Okay, I need to stop reading this thread. I've gone from 'I'll buy it to support Platinum and get a Wii U when it pricedrops eventually' to 'I NEED TO FIND A WII U BEFORE IT COMES OUT IN SEPT'

Adaren

Seeing as how this thread is full of people who love to talk about or simply love everything Kamiya, I thought I'd share this video I'm currently watching. It's just a little bit about him and where he draws his inspiration and stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpdZUaUlvbw

Link to the Past is one of my favorite games ever, and shmups are one of my favorite genres. I recently tried an old-school Castlevania clone for the first time and couldn't stand the lag on the whip.

I wonder if I like Kamiya games because I'm like Kamiya, or if I'm like Kamiya because I like Kamiya games...

Proven

Okay, I need to stop reading this thread. I've gone from 'I'll buy it to support Platinum and get a Wii U when it pricedrops eventually' to 'I NEED TO FIND A WII U BEFORE IT COMES OUT IN SEPT'

I already got the Wii U, even though the game is still weeks away. Thank you eBay, but still. I'm going to exit the thread for now guys, enjoy yourselves.

I'm super jelly of all these glowing impressions.

TW101 not being out in the US yet and GTAV halfway leaking....WHY DOST THOU VIDEOGAME GODS TORTURE ME SO?

Proven

Ah crap, I almost forgot to mention. I was wrong about Climb Attacks refilling your Unite Gauge. I just remembered it from the old version of the game I demo'd at the Nintendo Wii U tour last year. Maybe there's an upgrade for it, I don't know. There are ways to make it go up faster (I think successful blocks help), but I'd need more time (and to use up more demo uses) to find out.

Well, Climb Attacks still give you a teleport and disable, which you can use effectively as a stun. I'm not going to stop using them, at the very least.

Conezays

Finished the demo. Got the hang of it more as demo went on, definitely a little overwhelming. What are you guys doing to do the "drawings?" I used the right analog, with *some* success. Getting circles was a total biatch.

Still, I can see why you guys are praising it. Definitely has that Vieutiful Joe vibe, yet different.

Played the demo, lawd. This game. 10 seconds in I was "What the fuck is going on? This game sucks!" but at the end I was loving it. Parrying an attack, switching weapons on the fly, so satisfying. The circle gesture was the only problem I had but I got used to it and I can do it pretty effortlessly. I am wondering where are the issues coming from? Is it the whip? Because that wasn't in the demo. The right stick worked so well I didn't even bother with the touch screen.

Conezays

Played the demo, lawd. This game. 10 seconds in I was "What the fuck is going on? This game sucks!" but at the end I was loving it. Parrying an attack, switching weapons on the fly, so satisfying. The circle gesture was the only problem I had but I got used to it and I can do it pretty effortlessly. I am wondering where are the issues coming from? Is it the whip? Because that wasn't in the demo. The right stick worked so well I didn't even bother with the touch screen.

Agreed.

PS dig the avatar. VS. is an awesome album.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
So by reading a little of the thread. This game has KI:U levels of crazyness near the end? Day 1
It has (KI:U levels of crazyness)². Yessir.

I want a figure of a certain character of the game, those who finished it will probably know who I am talking about knowing I last finished Operation
009-A

EDIT : How did you guys manage (spoiler for Operation 008)
Prince Vorkhen fight on the Virgin Victory? I cheesed him with an Unite Sword charged to the max thanks to the charge module. Pushed him to a corner of the ship with stingers and threw a few Multimorphs when I had enough energy. Not very elegant but efficient >_>

Ok, MASSIVE SPOILERS coming up, both story and gameplay-wise. Do NOT read unless you've cleared Normal difficulty.

1. "Press A to Protect Earth" had me laughing so hard I could barely mash the button. Every single moment of the final cutscene just had me laughing out loud, which a game hasn't done since Bayonetta. That said, I kind of enjoyed Bayonetta more, personally, but that's because you kind of punched god through the solar system into the sun.. Kind of hard to top that when it comes to set pieces.

2. Wonder-Goggles. Only a Kamiya game would introduce a completely new gameplay mechanic AFTER THE GAME IS FRIGGIN' OVER. Can't wait to see what other new stuff is available. Hoping for lots of different Custom Blocks and new skills (the initial three seem a bit meager).

3. No character unlocks yet, unless you count Luka. I was super-expecting unlocking Vorkken and his squad, but maybe that'll be a part of a later difficulty? For now, I am super happy about playing a game like this without having the gameplay unlocks spoiled for me (yet).

4. I was quite a bit disappointed in Operation 008... Was almost screaming at the screen, "god damn it, do not re-use the Operation 005 boss gimmick, please don't", and then they did. Ugh. The stages prior to that felt completely uninspired as well, it was the only part of the game that, to me, felt completely tacked on and just served as a reason to bridge the story into the final Operation in a completely ham-fisted way. We didn't even get to actually fight Gimme himself, he just kind of got destroyed in a passive cutscene which felt really boring compared to other bosses. I was getting really scared this game was going to end up getting worse toward the end, due to this. However... that last chapter + epilogue completely redeemed any worries I happened to have.

5. Holy shit, this game is so hard. Speaking of Hard... wish me luck!

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
If you have a Wii U and are not getting this game you are failing at life.

Soooooooo good! :D~

So who's the composer of the game? I see that people already finished it. I don't think its masami ueda because of bayo2 so I'm curious
Hiroshi Yamaguchi, but not just him, it depends of the track, Rei kondoh is here too with the bayonetta and Fire emblem awakening vibes in these music, and there is two more but i can't check now i'm at work, sorry.

Btw did someone else notice that the operations are themed after several Nintendo Games?
Yes I've recognized all of them.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
When the Dreamcast was kicking ass, I believed some games would turn out like this, in the future.

Believe the hype, I'm playing the best action game I have ever owned. This Wonderful 101, it's... glorious.

So Wonderful figure
Wonder
Witch
has been found at 2ch

[ spoilers alert ]
http://i.imgur.com/6WsTGIX.jpg

I got her as a member. But there is definitely the original one to unlock for the hardest stuff to do in the game. Get Platinum on all operations, evade bonus 10 times, finish all keegah-roo, finish the game on the hardest difficulty etc.

man I am disappointed and I do not want to go on impossible missions to unlock stuff like this

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
man I am disappointed and I do not want to go on impossible missions to unlock stuff like this
There were codes top input in order to unlock stuff like this in Bayonetta IIRC. There might be something similar in W101 for those who don't want/can't fill the requirements for the unlocks.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Finished the demo. Got the hang of it more as demo went on, definitely a little overwhelming. What are you guys doing to do the "drawings?" I used the right analog, with *some* success. Getting circles was a total biatch.

Analogue. Fuck the pad. It's an actual game and I do not want to let go of buttons to touch the bloody screen, not when the stick works wonders (pun intended, fuck you all). Two tips I have for drawing in the main game: Firstly, buy the draw speed upgrade early on. Lets you whip up shapes very quickly. And secondly, try to think of it as drawing gestures as opposed to fine shapes. A quick swivel of the control stick, not even the whole way around, will unite morph fist. Once you get a good rhythm you can quickly morph shit without paying much attention to the shape you're making, simply because you know what gesture is required with the stick.

One "issue" I've ran into isn't so much gesture registration, but difficulty of drawing specific gestures due to hero limitations. I think this is what reviewers who complained about gesture detection might be referring to. Best example I can think of is trying to draw unite hammer when you've not many heroes or energy available, for example if many heroes are busy with automated morphs. Because of the shape required for hammer, it's very easy to be unable to "finish" it if you don't have the spare heroes and don't pay careful attention to the size you're drawing. The limited shape has the game closer associate it with something else, like unite whip.

Sword/whip/gun and even fist are all very straight forward shapes that are difficult to mess up no matter how many heroes you have available, due to their simplicity. A small whip is easily registered, as is a small gun. But the more fiddly shapes toe a little close to simplistic shapes, and that can lead to some "misread" gestures.

When the Dreamcast was kicking ass, I believed some games would turn out like this, in the future.

Believe the hype, I'm playing the best action game I have ever owned. This Wonderful 101, it's... glorious.

so glad to hear people are enjoying this game even though I can't

these are heavy words

One "issue" I've ran into isn't so much gesture registration, but difficulty of drawing specific gestures due to hero limitations. I think this is what reviewers who complained about gesture detection might be referring to. Best example I can think of is trying to draw unite hammer when you've not many heroes or energy available, for example if many heroes are busy with automated morphs. Because of the shape required for hammer, it's very easy to be unable to "finish" it if you don't have the spare heroes and don't pay careful attention to the size you're drawing. The limited shape has the game closer associate it with something else, like unite whip.

Sword/whip/gun and even fist are all very straight forward shapes that are difficult to mess up no matter how many heroes you have available, due to their simplicity. A small whip is easily registered, as is a small gun. But the more fiddly shapes toe a little close to simplistic shapes, and that can lead to some "misread" gestures.

Is that an "issue" as much as it's part of the strategy, though? Like, if you know you aren't good at keeping your drawings small, you'd do better to avoid trying to quickly throw out weapons like the hammer or claws. Maybe try to use those weapon on point and leave the sword/fist/whip on assist, or simply train and get better at making smaller shapes for assists.

monome

so glad to hear people are enjoying this game even though I can't

these are heavy words

it can't be said enough.

W101 is glorious.

I can't even understand the reviews.

it's a constant flow of non stop action.
as said earlier. I think the W101 full package is superior to Bayonetta.

Is that an "issue" as much as it's part of the strategy, though? Like, if you know you aren't good at keeping your drawings small, you'd do better to avoid trying to quickly throw out weapons like the hammer or claws. Maybe try to use those weapon on point and leave the sword/fist/whip on assist, or simply train and get better at making smaller shapes for assists.
It's an issue for playing bad. Wrong meter management or being hit. Careless drawing big stuff in the wrong situations.

Also some shapes won't get recognized if you start drawing them from the wrong start point. Unite Bomb for example is a half circle with a straight line afterwards. If you get this down, it's easy to always get the correct morph.

Top Bottom