• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy |OT| Yes, "One-Winged Angel" is in! Quit asking!

zroid

Banned
I've never really felt rhythm games made any sense. I never felt like any of my actions served any outcome. Rhytym games are more about the game controlling you and not the other way around. That's my biggest beef with them...

Rhythm games are really a lot like playing music. Your controller is the instrument through which you engage with it. You have to keep the beat, and perform specific actions in accordance with the song.

The main difference is most rhythm games leave little room for personal expression, which I guess might be your problem with them. But that's not really so different from being a member of an orchestra and reading sheet music.

You aren't creating the music, you just play it.

rpmurphy

Rhythm games are really a lot like playing music. Your controller is the instrument through which you engage with it. You have to keep the beat, and perform specific actions in accordance with the song.

The main difference is most rhythm games leave little room for personal expression, which I guess might be your problem with it. But that's not really so different from being a member of an orchestra and reading sheet music.

You aren't creating the music, you just play it.
Although rare, there are music games that allow you to express some creative freedom while not being composition software. Electroplankton is one good example, and Wii Music to a lesser extent.

Famassu

Although rare, there are music games that allow you to express some creative freedom while not being composition software. Electroplankton is one good example, and Wii Music to a lesser extent.
Yeah, and Wii Music is shit and Electroplankton - while an interesting idea - gets kinda boring fast. It's a nice toy to play with for a few minutes here and there, but I wouldn't say it has any kind of longetivity or exactly call it a music game (it's more like a music generator with a neat graphic UI).

Rock Band does it fairly well with the solo parts which let you play whatever you want while having to follow notes the rest of the time.

rpmurphy

Yeah, and Wii Music is shit and Electroplankton - while an interesting idea - gets kinda boring fast. It's a nice toy to play with for a few minutes here and there, but I wouldn't say it has any kind of longetivity or exactly call it a music game (it's more like a music generator with a neat graphic UI).

Rock Band does it fairly well with the solo parts which let you play whatever you want while having to follow notes the rest of the time.
True. However, there are a number of barriers to getting people interested in digital instruments, and those games I think aren't really made to be as something serious like that in mind, or else the software design would be very different in features, mechanics, and aesthetics. The KORG DS products, in particular, are a good example of a more serious instrument software, but their appeal in the market is rather limited.

Come to think of it, the DS had a good few: Jam Sessions 1 & 2 and Daigasso Band Bros. in addition.

branny

Man, I'm going back and forth on whether or not to buy this. At the end of the day, it's a rhythm game and I don't know just how long that can hold my attention. I've never really felt rhythm games made any sense. I never felt like any of my actions served any outcome. Rhythm games are more about the game controlling you and not the other way around. That's my biggest beef with them...
I think Zeer0id's answer was the best way to put it. There are so many kinds of these games out there, including music games/tools/"generators" (good word Famassu :p) like the ones rpmurphy mentioned that aren't traditional rhythm games at all. I think you'd have to judge them on a game by game basis.

For arcade-style rhythm, player feedback is extremely important. I prefer games that create the song as you go along. If you mess up, the music reflects that by sounding weird and forces you to try harder. It provides a different impression than simply tapping along to something that remains the same no matter how well you play.

Difficulty is also important, especially when paired a good scoring system. Songs and modes that are too easy will eventually be ignored as your skill improves unless there is some kind of incentive to replay them.

Both of these components done well go a long way toward mitigating the sensation of passiveness that can sometimes creep into the genre.

edit: nvm, you're getting it anyway haha

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
70, I believe

Wow. I figured it would be about half that at most. That's an amazing amount of content considering how much DLC they keep churning out.

Will be buying with Pokemon Conquest on Tuesday.. if stores start receiving their second shipments of the title, since everywhere in Toronto seems to be sold out.. :(

rpmurphy

By the way, are the note chimes in this game as annoying as they seem to be in the trailers? That's the one standout thing that's worrying me.

By the way, are the note chimes in this game as annoying as they seem to be in the trailers? That's the one standout thing that's worrying me.

I didn't find them particularly offputting while playing the demo at PAX East. Of course, I'm used to rhythm game feedback and use it as a timing aid, so it would be stranger to my ears if it -wasn't- there.

rpmurphy

I didn't find them particularly offputting while playing the demo at PAX East. Of course, I'm used to rhythm game feedback and use it as a timing aid, so it would be stranger to my ears if it -wasn't- there.
Yeah, I'm hoping it won't be so jarring that it becomes a distraction, but I haven't had the chance to see for myself yet if that's the case since there's no demo for the US yet. :<
It's not a dealbreaker or anything, just an annoyance if it's like that. I guess I won't know for sure until I get my hands on the game.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
^Oh gosh, are we going to have to grind for months like in DJMax to unlock stuff?

There's 5 songs for each numbered entry, and then the rest are unlocked via things called Dark Notes... they're crazy hard and random so you don't know what songs you'll be playing when you get them.

kiryogi

Banned
There's 5 songs for each numbered entry, and then the rest are unlocked via things called Dark Notes... they're crazy hard and random so you don't know what songs you'll be playing when you get them.

More like 3. Prologue/epilogue can't be replayed freely seperately, and there's no fail/clear for them. I assume dark notes is the Chaos Temple? The difficulty varies on them and you can actually tell what songs it'll be via the numbering. Its based off 9 field and 9 battle songs on a setlist. So setlist 3-4 would be song 3 and song 9. I forget which songs were what tho.

Choc

Banned
This is out in Australia early

ednUH.jpg

linko9

Definitely want to get this, but I think I'll wait until we find out about the DLC situation in NA.

Does the game have volume-control options, so you can lower the volume of that annoying "feedback" sound without lowering the volume of the music? I wouldn't mind it if it were quieter, but watching videos for this game it's just grating because of how loud it is and how high-pitched it is.

Robin64

In the demo you can turn the notes noise stuff off, so you just have music, so I would assume it's the same in the final game.

They're pretty useful though, it feels odd with them absent.

kiryogi

Banned
My bad. Actually it presents itself as No. 35, Score 45.. The first set of numbers determines the difficulty, the next 2 determine what songs it'll be. Which it picks from a set of 9 field and 9 battle. This is also the only mode you can listen to VI's "The Fierce Battle".

So in this case, Score 45 means the first song will be "Tina's theme", and the battle song will be "The Man with the Machine Gun"

Here's the listing:

FMS:
0 Gurgu Volcano
1 Eternal Wind
2 Dungeon of the Giants
3 Mambo de Chocobo
4 Tina's Theme
5 The Last Day
6 Blue Fields
7 To Zanarkand
8 Vana'diel March
9 Sunleth Waterscape

BMS:
0 Battle Scene 2
1 Battle 1
2 Big Bridge
3 Fierce Battle
4 J-E-N-O-V-A
5 The man with the Machine Gun
6 Something to Protect
7 Seymour Battle
8 Ending Movie
9 Struggle Against Fate

So does this game have any mixes? I can just youtube songs if all the game is just ost rips.

Also, how is the 'feedback' of when you hit a note spot on? Are the tracks multi layered aka guitar hero where the music reacts when you mess up?

kiryogi

Banned
So does this game have any mixes? I can just youtube songs if all the game is just ost rips.

Also, how is the 'feedback' of when you hit a note spot on? Are the tracks multi layered aka guitar hero where the music reacts when you mess up?

Straight up OST, no real feedback. Actually in terms of a rhythm game, its extremely forgiving. Hitting a note late can still be considered perfect sometimes.

Straight up OST, no real feedback. Actually in terms of a rhythm game, its extremely forgiving. Hitting a note late can still be considered perfect sometimes.

aaand this now been pushed down from day 1. I guess i was expecting a bit too much for SE to make the super ultra music game on their first try :/

It's the game I've played the most on my Japanese 3DS. I haven't bought any DLC in a while for it. I definitely recommend the game.

I wonder if the songs are going to be $1.50 like they are ¥150 in Japan...

kiryogi

Banned
It's the game I've played the most on my Japanese 3DS. I haven't bought any DLC in a while for it. I definitely recommend the game.

I wonder if the songs are going to be $1.50 like they are ¥150 in Japan...

Ditto, but I think I play it more than my US 3DS har har.

I was at least expecting them to redo some of the midi stuff with actual instruments, The Black Mages style.

That sounds like it would break the bank, or at least severely limit the number of songs the game's budget would allow. Completely wasted effort when the original music is perfectly fine.

Ive read some reviews that the plot is pretty thin and comprises mostly of text screens. Is this the case? I mean, the plot in Dissidia was also paper thin, but at least it had cutscenes with dialogue and it did drive one along to play further. How would you describe Theatrythm?

edit: just watched the Gamespot review. Seems like this is more rythm game than RPG. Wish the demo would go up for NA to help me decide.

Like others have said, there basically is no plot. Where Dissidia had a paper-thin plot told through cutscenes, Theatrhythm has even less of a plot, and what plot there is is limited to two screens of text; the rest of the text is just intros/outros for FF I through XIII.

Really, there's pretty much no story at all... and that's fine. This is not the kind of game you buy for its story.

Not at all. You can actually toggle the volume of the chimes to your liking (or turn them off entirely if you prefer), but even at their loudest setting, I don't find them annoying.

I'm not seeing how the tracks not being arranged makes this somehow less of a music game.

well it might just be my limited memory of FF songs, but are there really that many of them that would work in a rhythm game environment? Don't video game songs tend to loop every ~30 secs or so?

But really the only game that i played that can sorta be a comparison is Mario DDR mix. Even though the game was dumb easy, the stepcharts were also quite er... boring?

Any videos of how 'hard' this game gets?

well it might just be my limited memory of FF songs, but are there really that many of them that would work in a rhythm game environment? Don't video game songs tend to loop every ~30 secs or so?

But really the only game that i played that can sorta be a comparison is Mario DDR mix. Even though the game was dumb easy, the stepcharts were also quite er... boring?

Uhhh.... yeah, your memory of FF music length is seriously flawed =p Battle music tends to be the shortest pieces, and they still clock in at about a minute at the least. Lots of other themes can run anywhere between 3 and 17 minutes long.

You can probably YouTube up a bunch of videos on your own time, but I briefly tried the demo on a friend's JP 3DS while he was in the area. The hardest difficulty was pretty far beyond my ability to comprehend at the time, and would definitely take a lot of practice.

is the demo out for NA yet?

And something i noticed, no town themes? Alas those tend to be my favorite themes in games :/

I guess i'm in the minority T_T.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

http://youtu.be/ypYapTG7jIQ

The harder songs tend to be about that frantic but split the notes up between the 4 slots a bit more making it a bit harder to read.

branny

aaand this now been pushed down from day 1. I guess i was expecting a bit too much for SE to make the super ultra music game on their first try :/
This made me laugh because I thought the same thing. :(

Search YouTube for "theatrhythm ultimate" if you want to see more hard mode stuff beyond the video Q linked you, though most of the songs that come up are DLC. The game doesn't seem too physically demanding (I've been playing a bunch of DJMP3 lately and don't think I'll ever be able to deal with its more annoying songs without my fingers getting stiff or numb), but I think it looks fun and tricky enough to warrant a purchase eventually. I've only decided to get it near launch because it's $29.99 at a few places, and I'm going on a trip soon and want to show it to my little cousin who loves FF but doesn't have a 3DS.

FaceDa

Banned
That sounds like it would break the bank, or at least severely limit the number of songs the game's budget would allow. Completely wasted effort when the original music is perfectly fine.

What effort though? There already exist dozens of versions of the popular songs.

In fact I looked it up and some of the DLC songs ARE different arrangements of OST songs. So why can they make us buy them but not include them for free?

Famassu

What effort though? There already exist dozens of versions of the popular songs.

In fact I looked it up and some of the DLC songs ARE different arrangements of OST songs. So why can they make us buy them but not include them for free?
Theatrhythm is meant to be a 25th anniversary game. Original, nostalgic midi-versions of songs fits the nature of the release, so it's understandable that there are no (mostly) horrible buttrock Black Mages versions of songs or anything. :|

Are the different arrangements just shorter, slightly edited versions of songs or actually different? I hadn't read anything about them being arrangements prior to this.

Top Bottom