• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy |OT| Yes, "One-Winged Angel" is in! Quit asking!

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Finally put my order down. I have a feeling that I won't be playing anything else over the next month.

Cannot freaking wait to get this.

People were scoffing at it when it was first revealed, but it's shaping up to be a 3DS killer-app, and possibly one of the best things SE has ever done.

Until a few days ago, I didn't really know much anything at all about this game, apart from what I heard when it was announced. I didn't really have an opinion, as I'm not terribly familiar with the FF series. But I got an e-mail from Amazon yesterday saying it was available to pre-order for £22.99, which reminded me of its existence. And while downloading Mario Land 2 on the 3DS store shortly after, I saw it and decided on a whim to watch the video trailer.

I was impressed, but not quite enough to warrant buying it. But having just read this thread, I realised that there's a demo, and decided to give it a go. I've just played a few games, and now I've fell in love with it.

It's been a while since I last paid more than a couple of pounds for a game, as most of my gaming recently has been on iOS, so it says a lot that I'm (begrudgingly) willing to buy this.

It's unfortunate that FFVII is the only Final Fantasy game I'm familiar with, but the "chibi" style helps. I'm not normally a big fan of chibi styles, as it's usually used in anime/merchandise/etc just for blatant fanservice, but here it works, as it gives the game it's own personality.

It also helps that from what I've heard so far, the music is awesome regardless of whether you're familiar with it or not.

EDIT: Just this second pre-ordered it on Amazon. This will be only my third 3DS game, after Ocarina of Time 3D and Mario Kart 7, despite owning the 3DS since launch. Again, that should tell you how fun this is.

zroid

Banned
asphyxiating on the cuteness

iUoq07VDN1EZ5.png

Why would someone who's never played Final Fantasy play a Final Fantasy fan service game? This is like people who play direct sequels to games they've never touched.

It hurts my brains.

Probably because the gameplay is completely different, thus catering to a completely different audience?

Seriously, you can't tell the difference between a spinoff game like this and a direct sequel?

Probably because the gameplay is completely different, thus catering to a completely different audience?

Seriously, you can't tell the difference between a spinoff game like this and a direct sequel?

Yeah. And it's not like the music cannot be enjoyed without nostalgia, on it's own merits by newcommers. Granted, they aren't the target audience here and won't nearly get as much out of it as someone who's grown up with FF games, but it'd be a fun rhythm game with great "new" music.

branny

^Dissidia is kind of the same deal, capable of being enjoyed by anyone who likes the genre, fan or not.

That said, I get what thetrin is saying: I personally don't have a strong emotional reaction to a lot of the songs appearing in this game and think that diminishes their appeal quite a bit. What I've seen on YouTube actually looks so underwhelming to me that I'm getting depressed we don't have a solid release date for DJMax Technika Tune yet. I still may get this considering how Rhythm Thief turned out, though. Still deciding. =\

^Dissidia is kind of the same deal, capable of being enjoyed by anyone who likes the genre, fan or not.

That said, I get what thetrin is saying: I personally don't have a strong emotional reaction to a lot of the songs appearing in this game and think that diminishes their appeal quite a bit. What I've seen on YouTube actually looks so underwhelming to me that I'm getting depressed we don't have a solid release date for DJMax Technika Tune yet. I still may get this considering how Rhythm Thief turned out, though. Still deciding. =\

I can't figure out how to play Dissidia, even after playing the tutorial. It just seems like a mess. I want to like it. :/

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I can't figure out how to play Dissidia, even after playing the tutorial. It just seems like a mess. I want to like it. :/

Do attacks that lower their shields which return boost your power, then unleash your hp damaging skills. IDK think of it like tug of war.

Managed to pick the game up early at Best Buy (Cumberland Mall in Atlanta, GA).

Game's super rad so far. I'm playing this more as a fan of music games, rather than an FF fan. It's nice to play a game in the genre with a huge amount of content/modes. It's also cool that every song you play counts towards something (both exp for characters and your overall rhythmia).

Looking forward to playing this some more.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

Game's super rad so far. I'm playing this more as a fan of music games, rather than an FF fan. It's nice to play a game in the genre with a huge amount of content/modes. It's also cool that every song you play counts towards something (both exp for characters and your overall rhythmia).

WTH???? I was just 15 or so miles from there at Lenox Square and the Buckhead Best Buy. I even glanced over the 3DS section, just in case they put it out early. :/

Happy times to you though! I live too far away (over an hour) to make a special trip just for that. Oh well, Tueday is just around the corner.

Edit: thanks for the impressions btw.

I might have to check my 2 Best Buys tomorrow. Maybe I'll get lucky.

I've been playing my review copy since Thursday. The game was fun enough when I got to play it at E3 and various press events; it's even better playing it on my own terms, being able to explore the game and actually hear all the music.

Not only did I grow up with Final Fantasy (and still play the series today; I'm in the camp that loved both XIII and XIII-2), I'm also a fan of rhythm games, especially Japanese ones... so this game is basically made for me for several different reasons. I'm loving it.

Anyone have any specific questions they want answered?

Drago

Decided to get this one over Rhythm Thief (Ill get that later). Hope I made the right choice!

Gameplay seems to be somewhat similar to EBA, so I'm excited for it. The music is pretty much guarenteed to be great as well. Hope we get some DLC here in NA... Tuesday cant come soon enough! :D

disco

The only FF game I've ever played was X and I hated it. However, the second I saw this I loved it. So cute, so quirky. This is what Japanese game design is to me. I pre-ordered it even before the demo came out. The demo simply made me want it more. Can't wait till next Friday. I'll be waiting by the letterbox for the postman. :p

Caelestis

lolling not at the music but the fact that Squeenix has completely ignored the game. (despite including the unreleased and developmentally defunct Versus XIII.)
Strange. It could have served as an advertisement that 2.0 is coming. Some of the tracks are really great stuff.

Anyhow, got this pre-ordered, but can't play until XL comes out. :(

Funny thing about the demo is that field Ultimate feels a lil easier compared to battle Expert. Field Expert is super easy compared to battle Expert.

Funny thing about the demo is that field Ultimate feels a lil easier compared to battle Expert. Field Expert is super easy compared to battle Expert.
Yeah field is much easier for me as well. Some of those expert combinations in battle are really hard to pull off for me consistently.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Watching a few videos of this....I hate all of you who got it early...

My ebgames said they had it but couldn't sell it to me. Long wait for Tuesday begins. Why goddamn Tuesdays?! Why not Fridays?!

I think it sucks with all the dlc, but that's cause I'm likely getting them all. Wish they were all unlocks though like the good old days.

Also REALLY can't wait for a DQ version or a sequel to this. There are a lot of little touches that are nice and I can't wait to see how they expand on them.

I've been playing my review copy since Thursday. The game was fun enough when I got to play it at E3 and various press events; it's even better playing it on my own terms, being able to explore the game and actually hear all the music.

Not only did I grow up with Final Fantasy (and still play the series today; I'm in the camp that loved both XIII and XIII-2), I'm also a fan of rhythm games, especially Japanese ones... so this game is basically made for me for several different reasons. I'm loving it.

Anyone have any specific questions they want answered?

Ive read some reviews that the plot is pretty thin and comprises mostly of text screens. Is this the case? I mean, the plot in Dissidia was also paper thin, but at least it had cutscenes with dialogue and it did drive one along to play further. How would you describe Theatrythm?

edit: just watched the Gamespot review. Seems like this is more rythm game than RPG. Wish the demo would go up for NA to help me decide.

Ive read some reviews that the plot is pretty thin and comprises mostly of text screens. Is this the case? I mean, the plot in Dissidia was also paper thin, but at least it had cutscenes with dialogue and it did drive one along to play further. How would you describe Theatrythm?

edit: just watched the Gamespot review. Seems like this is more rythm game than RPG. Wish the demo would go up for NA to help me decide.

I wasn't even aware there was a plot at all; it's not like the game needs one. So I'm not going to begrudge it for being weak.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
The story is pretty non-existent. There's a brief prologue in the beginning and that's all I've seen so far. Played for about 4 hours now - cleared all the Series mode songs, now working on challenges and dark notes ;-;

Ghizz

The story is pretty non-existent. There's a brief prologue in the beginning and that's all I've seen so far. Played for about 4 hours now - cleared all the Series mode songs, now working on challenges and dark notes ;-;

Are you having fun with it?

Top Bottom