• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy |OT| Yes, "One-Winged Angel" is in! Quit asking!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Does the game have volume-control options, so you can lower the volume of that annoying "feedback" sound without lowering the volume of the music? I wouldn't mind it if it were quieter, but watching videos for this game it's just grating because of how loud it is and how high-pitched it is.

You can turn it off.

McNum

But can you turn it down in the volume controls?
The demo has four different volume settings and off for the chimes. Thee dots is the default volume. It's under "Turn Chimes On/Off", which is kind of a mislabeling.

By the way, how do you delete something from the 3DS? When the game comes out on Friday, I won't need the demo anymore, but I won't burn 26 uses before then.

Also what happens when a demo runs out?

branny

I don't know about you guys, but my thumb is not that slippery and fast to accommodate for the challenging parts; technically it should be possible, but practically the only fast rhythm games on iOS I have seen almost strictly relies on taps.
I'm sure it'd be possible on a capacitive screen, the only issue is that a stylus is much better suited for quick "tap" gameplay, whereas a thumb is better for slower gestures.

A certain amount of precision is lost due to the cushion of a fingertip compared to the rigidity of a stylus (or fingernail, for that matter).
Hmmm, games like Reflec Beat and DJMax Technika have totally different kinds of interfaces (the latter includes sliding) but are properly designed around the benefits of capacitive play with multiple inputs, so I don't think it's an issue with challenge or precision.

That said, I do agree with both of you and don't think Theatrhythm would be particularly suited for fingers as it is now even if the touchscreen were capacitive.

Even if it wouldn't play quite as well on a capacative touch screen, I doubt many people would care too much, as most of the people buying it would have no basis for comparison (they wouldn't own the 3DS version), and they'd be paying significantly less for it (being an iOS game). I'm calling it now; we'll see this game on iOS in a year or two. I hope so, at least; I want this game to be as successful as possible!

On or off only, I'm afraid.

Actually, the demo lets you turn the volume up or down, so I'd imagine the full game does too.

zroid

Banned
Hmmm, games like Reflec Beat and DJMax Technika have totally different kinds of interfaces (the latter includes sliding) but are properly designed around the benefits of capacitive play with multiple inputs.

That said, I do agree with both of you and don't think Theatrhythm would be particularly suited for fingers as it is now even if the touchscreen were capacitive.

yeah I think Theatrhythm could definitely be adapted for a capacitive screen. They might have to make concessions in some areas, but improvements could be made in others.

They're just two different types of inputs is all, that appear similar on the
surface

Amir0x

Banned
ha i forgot i had pre-ordered this and got the call it'll be in tomorrow. i wasn't anticipating it or anything so i have no real expectations here.

edit: just watched a preview video... didn't know they actually play some of the CG cutscenes in the background. Made me giggle. Some of that old CG holds up really badly, heh, I had forgotten how badly

branny

Some of that old CG holds up really badly, heh, I had forgotten how badly
tumblr_l99vgxKj3d1qcczsno1_500.gif

you ain't lying

hank_tree

I got "To Zanarkand" as one of the tracks in one of my Dark Notes. Can you get the other opening/closing songs playable that way?

I got "To Zanarkand" as one of the tracks in one of my Dark Notes. Can you get the other opening/closing songs playable that way?

I just got Dancing Madly (or whatever the FF6 song is in English) off of the Chaos Levels. I can't wait to get To Zanarkand!

And I thought all hope was lost...

dammit, I put the preorder down on Saturday and my delivery estimate is next week D:

By the way, how do you delete something from the 3DS? When the game comes out on Friday, I won't need the demo anymore, but I won't burn 26 uses before then.

Go to Settings > Data Management

What are the difficulty levels of this game???

Easy, normal and hard??

How will you compare this game in difficulty with, let´s say Ouendan??

I will get it tomorrow hopefully.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Siliconera: How did you get the Final Fantasy Versus XIII song “Somnus” available as downloadable content? It must have been tough since the game, although it was announced six years ago, hasn’t come out yet.

Ichiro Hazama: A fan like yourself, who have heard the song before would be pleasantly surprised with a Versus XIII tune in the game. The music was announced earlier [through a trailer] and many people have heard the song already. It wasn’t anything too secretive.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy is commemorated as a 25th anniversary title, so we wanted to be a little bit playful by adding this song. When we asked Nomura-san he casually approved it saying, “let’s do it” and that’s how we got it in.

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/07/0...heatrhythm-final-fantasy-and-other-questions/

zroid

Banned
I'm weak. Going to the store tomorrow morning to buy a copy.

I'll return the one I get in the mail on Wednesday with the store receipt :/

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
How much FFIX service is in this game?

9 is one of my absolute favorite games of all time. I utterly adore it. That said, it's the only Final Fantasy game to keep my attention to the end; so while I like the series, it's far from one of my favorites. I want to buy this game, and am interested, and would love to support SE for actually doing a really nice fan-service; but I'm hopeful we get some more music for 9. I really wish it had "The Place I'll Return to Someday" - one of my favorite gaming tracks, and the alarm I use on my phone to wake up each morning.

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
Can't wait to get this in the mail. The trailer was enough to send me on a nostalgia trip. My wife is a big FF fan, so hopefully I get to play it, too. lol

I just realized that this game is missing my favorite song from FFVIII: Liberi Fatali.

Has that been added as dlc in Japan yet?

Also I was kind of hoping they would have that whole opening sequence in the game to play with, as it is one of my favorite opening sequences to any game ever.

This game is fan service all over again (like Dissidia). I'll give my full impression after having the Japanese version and putting in about 10 hours.

At first I didn't think too much of the game. I played though the five songs available from each FF game, and I thought it was OK. I sort of expected this to play like an overpriced iPhone game. While I was playing though, I realized I was getting crystal pieces towards unlocking stuff. They seem like other playable characters, but I can't say for sure yet (plus I'm not going to look online and spoil anything for myself).

Because I've put in over 200 hours on the Dissidia games over the past few years, I thought I knew the music inside and out. It turns out that wasn't the case. There are "new" songs from games I thought I knew, and stuff that's entirely new to me (anything FFXI). I just recently found out about the ability to unlock songs through the Chaos levels (challenge mode in English?) after clearing give or so, I realized I was hooked. This is where the game really gets you. You play random songs that are much harder than normal, but still not at expert level. It's perfect too, because after you beat the two random songs, another pair of random songs unlocks to play. There's and extra incentive to do well here though, as you can get rare item drops from mobsters if you get a big enough chain or beat enough enemies.

I've found that having Lightning and Cloud on my team really helps out. Cloud is my leader, and I have him equipped with power-boosts to slice through enemies, and Lightning has a 20CP skill (that's a TON of CP) called Libra (again, I'm playing the Japanese version so I don't know the actual English equivalent) that makes it do at the end of the second song you ALWAYS get a rare drop from a monster. No matter what my team is, I'll always have her on it for that skill.

Save for hand-cramp breaks, I say down yesterday and played this for hours when I realized how hooked I was. After every 500 song points earned you unlock a seperate sequential thing that's more or less another carrot on a stick that keeps you going.

There are other modes in the game that I haven't really tried out yet, but I'm really happy I finally got this after sitting on it for so long. The music is fantastic, the CG backgrounds on stages that have them work well on the cart (even FFXIII CG looks great), and it's a full-blown experience. If anyone out there thinks that this should have been a $5 iPhone game, you're missing out. I figured it would be that way, and I'm glad I was wrong. With three difficulty levels per song, nearly 50 downloadable songs (which are very easy to get), and random song selection in the Chaos levels, you'll be playing it for a while. At least I will anyway :)

The tapping tone can also be adjusted to off, low, med, and high volumes. I keep it at low, and I've never found it to be annoying in the least. Considering the fact that I play with earbuds in, I find that it keeps me with the song, in case I were offbeat...which is one thing the game and notes never are. I have yet to hit a note that I thought was kind of odd.

The only shortcoming the game seems to have so far is in overexplaining things before you start the game. It can get annoying, but of you don't need it you can just tap them away.

branny

The only shortcoming the game seems to have so far is in overexplaining things before you start the game. It can get annoying, but of you don't need it you can just tap them away.
Is there a way to speed up or get rid of all the info that shows up after you complete songs? It looks like a good twenty seconds of sitting there waiting for menu screens to get done. =\

edit: I just watched some videos again, and it looks like it's actually closer to 30 seconds if you're not frantically tapping the screen. Ugh.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Definitely excited to pick this one up tomorrow after work! Reading impressions and such are making it harder to wait, ha.

What are the difficulty levels of this game???

Easy, normal and hard??

How will you compare this game in difficulty with, let´s say Ouendan??

I will get it tomorrow hopefully.
This article says the game chose be more fun than difficult.

Theatrhythm isn’t scared to create note charts that serve the music, and not simply the difficulty level, and that’s a classy move with music so many people love. Some of the songs may not be difficulty, but they are fun to play, and the taps and slides mimic the movement of the music. At its best, the game feels almost balletic.

My shopto pre-order started processing yesterday so hopefully it will ship today and I'll have it a few days before UK release.

im getting the game tomorrow!

it sucks that you cant play as Garland and the other villains though.
and no, i dont want to play as sephiroth

kiryogi

Banned
ROFL going back at it. . . Difficulty in Chaos Temple is based off your party. Was leveling a newbie party on the last setlist I had from my higher level party. . . Then next setlist I got was super easy. Tried my lvl99 party and I got a 99 difficulty setlist. WOO!

edit: OMG THE NOTES ROTATE ;-;

LordAlu

ROFL going back at it. . . Difficulty in Chaos Temple is based off your party. Was leveling a newbie party on the last setlist I had from my higher level party. . . Then next setlist I got was super easy. Tried my lvl99 party and I got a 99 difficulty setlist. WOO!

edit: OMG THE NOTES ROTATE ;-;
Yeah, I noticed that on some of the hard videos, they looked like they rotate 90° as they approach the tap line.

Whogie

Got an email that my Toys R Us copy is backordered. So much for a preorder -.-
It was $30 instead of $40, so I'm not sure if I'll cancel.

When I do get it, I'll be getting all the FFXI DLC. Definitely gonna' have Prishe and Shanttoto on my team.

Which One Winged Angel is it, by the way? Direct PSX version or the orchestrated one from the soundtrack CDs? I'm kind of hoping for the game version, to be honest, the orchestrated one is a little overplayed...

The PS1 version, straight out of Final Fantasy VII.

Some folks are saying the game has 64 achievements. Is this true? I can't find a list of them anywhere, so hard to be sure.

Yes, the game has 64 trophies. I don't think earning them gets you anything other than bragging rights (your ProfiCard, which gets sent to others via StreetPass, shows how many trophies you've earned).

Does the game have volume-control options, so you can lower the volume of that annoying "feedback" sound without lowering the volume of the music? I wouldn't mind it if it were quieter, but watching videos for this game it's just grating because of how loud it is and how high-pitched it is.

Yes. There are various volume levels you can set the feedback sounds to, or you can turn them off. Turning them completely off makes the game feel odd, though.

how's the 3d?

Pretty much throwaway/unnecessary. Know that I'm actually a big fan of the 3DS' 3D effects when games are designed to use them well, but Theatrhythm isn't one of those games -- and it doesn't need to be. Being a music game, it's far less about the graphics than it is about the gameplay and, well, the music, so the 3D is barely noticeable in the game and really doesn't add anything. In fact, this may be the only 3DS game I play with the 3D off most of the time, just to ensure I don't have to deal with any accidental ghosting during tougher songs.

kiryogi

Banned
Pretty much throwaway/unnecessary. Know that I'm actually a big fan of the 3DS' 3D effects when games are designed to use them well, but Theatrhythm isn't one of those games -- and it doesn't need to be. Being a music game, it's far less about the graphics than it is about the gameplay and, well, the music, so the 3D is barely noticeable in the game and really doesn't add anything. In fact, this may be the only 3DS game I play with the 3D off most of the time, just to ensure I don't have to deal with any accidental ghosting during tougher songs.

Isn't noticeable? The layers on the menus are a great touch. It's not so much the pop out 3d as it's the depth.

Top Bottom