• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy |OT| Yes, "One-Winged Angel" is in! Quit asking!

Those of you about to receive your copies: enjoy! It's a great game. But here's one thing to keep in mind as you play, something I've noticed over the course of playing it the last few days:

In a rather... let's call it "boneheaded" design move, it seems S-E pretty much forces you to choose between maximizing your score/getting better grades on songs and enjoying the allure of beating rare monsters, getting rare item drops, and making use of the special "Feature Zone" areas in each kind of stage. This is because completing songs without anything equipped on any of your characters awards you a "Stoic Bonus" that adds 2,000,000 points to your score. To my knowledge, without this bonus it is impossible to get anything above an "S" grade on any song.

Basically, no matter how good you do/are, you'll never get any "SS" or "SSS" grades without that Stoic Bonus, which means no equipping anything.

That, in turn, means no making use of anything that helps you get rare item drops, increases your movement speed in FMS stages so that you get rare treasures/can meet certain bosses during Dark Notes, etc.

It also seems that, with nothing equipped, you don't get to make use of each kind of stage's "Feature Zone" additions. For FMS stages, that means no turning into a Chocobo and getting a movement bonus; for BMS stages, that means no summoning aeons/espers/GFs/pick your term of them; and for EMS stages, that means no extended versions of the songs. So... that pretty much sucks.

Personally, being a rhythm game enthusiast, I've just decided to never equip anything, since I take rhythm games fairly seriously and getting good scores is important to me (getting "SS" grades on all Basic and Expert songs has been pretty easy for me). Obviously, your approach may vary and can be whatever you want it to be, but it sucks that S-E basically forces you to choose between scoring and enjoying a significant chunk of gameplay features. I definitely feel like I'm missing out on a considerable amount of the metagame by not locking myself out of the highest possible scores.

So yeah, just something to keep in mind when you start playing. Don't mean to bring anyone's spirits down, though; it's still a great, very fun game!

Isn't noticeable? The layers on the menus are a great touch. It's not so much the pop out 3d as it's the depth.

Yeah, I guess the menus do look nice with the 3D on. It's still a very subtle effect though, and I still feel that the 3D really doesn't make the game look any better during actual gameplay. It doesn't make it look worse, either, but it doesn't add anything to the visuals or gameplay during actual songs IMO.

Netto-kun

From the Nintedo Downloads thread.

EU update this week:

3DS VC: Castlevania: The Adventure
eShop: Zombie Slayer Diox, Mutant Mudds Demo
DSiWare: Escape the Virus: Swarm Survival

Plus Theathrythm DLC:

A Fleeting Dream (FF10 - FMS)
Ride On (FF08 - FMS)
Cosmo Canyon (FF07 - FMS)
In Search of Light (FF05 - FMS)
Fighting Fate (FF13 - BMS)
Fighters of the Crystal (FF11 - BMS)
The Final Battle (FF04 - BMS)
Battle Theme 1 (FF02 - BMS)

laika09

I might just blow the rest of my game budget for this year on this game's DLC. (assuming NoA doesn't fuck this up)

LordAlu

Is DLC saved to the SD Card? I'm gonna borrow a friend's 3DS to play this until the XL comes out, if I put a blank SD card in his 3DS and then when I buy my own put it in that, will I still be able to access it? Or is it console locked or something?

Is DLC saved to the SD Card? I'm gonna borrow a friend's 3DS to play this until the XL comes out, if I put a blank SD card in his 3DS and then when I buy my own put it in that, will I still be able to access it? Or is it console locked or something?

I assume that DLC can only be saved to the SD card. I know that's how it worked with my copy of DOA. I believe everything is console locked though.

zroid

Banned

Yep pretty much everything outside of DSiWare gets saved to the SD card. And content is indeed locked to the system you purchased it on.

awesome, just got a backorder notice from toys r us

Now I gotta decide if I should just wait it out to get it for 30 or cancel and buy it somewhere today for 40. I take it the game is only 30 ONLINE at toys r us, and not in store, correct?

Chairhome

Didn't know about these: Theatrhythm related products:

Coffee Mug
:
41HcT3qLttL.jpg

Tumbler
:
51VUukmSGTL._AA1000_.jpg

Chocobo Keychain
:
61Jhh-hQlkL._AA1000_.jpg

Moogle Keychain
:
61v3bKwDolL._AA1000_.jpg

LordAlu

I assume that DLC can only be saved to the SD card. I know that's how it worked with my copy of DOA. I believe everything is console locked though.

Yep pretty much everything outside of DSiWare gets saved to the SD card. And content is indeed locked to the system you purchased it on.
Welp, looks like I won't be playing any of the DLC till I pick up an XL then! Bummer :(

zroid

Banned
awesome, just got a backorder notice from toys r us

Now I gotta decide if I should just wait it out to get it for 30 or cancel and buy it somewhere today for 40. I take it the game is only 30 ONLINE at toys r us, and not in store, correct?

The correct decision is to do both ;P

Buy your $40 copy today and when you get the $30 one from Toys R Us, return it to the store where you paid $40.

----

DAT COFFEE MUG

Wiz

So I understand that you're allowed to purchase only a single song (as opposed to a pack) as DLC? How much per song in $?

Teknoman

Do the dlc songs have their own special scenarios? Because fighters of the crystal is an amazing song...and it would be great to have SD versions of the crystal warrior bosses.

I'm curious if I'll like this game or not. I enjoy music/rhythm games, but I haven't played a Final Fantasy game since the Super Nintendo days. I wish they had a US demo of the game so I could try it out.

B00TE

Another 8 hours before I can go out and get my copy. :[

Watching the Giant Bomb QL for it now. It's not helping time pass any, haha.

Robin64

The price of the DLC for Europe is 90p a track. I was expecting more than that, so this is a nice surprise.

I think 90p is the lowest price allowed, oddly, as everything on the eShop has been a multiple of 90p thus far.

zroid

Banned
The price of the DLC for Europe is 90p a track. I was expecting more than that, so this is a nice surprise.

I think 90p is the lowest price allowed, oddly, as everything on the eShop has been a multiple of 90p thus far.

Hmm, interesting. So the games which cost $1.99 in North America are 1.80 in UK?

Hopefully we'll get it for $1 then! That'd be great.

Another 8 hours before I can go out and get my copy. :[

Watching the Giant Bomb QL for it now. It's not helping time pass any, haha.

AWWW YEAH, was waiting for this! Go Brad!

Robin64

What? That can't be right...

Surely the $2.99 games equate to £2.70?

You might be right. I don't remember seeing anything for £1.80 though.

Having a quick look, your VVVVVV was $7.99 where ours was £7.20.

So yeah, I suppose expect 99c per track in America?

zroid

Banned
You might be right. I don't remember seeing anything for £1.80 though.

Having a quick look, your VVVVVV was $7.99 where ours was £7.20.

So yeah, I suppose expect 99c per track in America?

Seems like it, yeah. If taken at the current exchange rate, that's close to half the price of Japan's DLC. I'm impressed!

Updated OP with the details

So I totally ordered that mug. And now I sit back and wait for UPS. My copy of the game won't be here until after 6PM probably.

Nemesis_

Umm, so I go to the store and it says CONNECTION INTERRUPTED and won't even let me browse the DLC.

Is something wrong?

I got it in the mail from Best Buy today! Woo!

Does anyone know how they handle preorder bonuses? I didn't get my stylus. :(

Do they usually ship those seperate? Or should it have shown up with the game?

I got it in the mail from Best Buy today! Woo!

Does anyone know how they handle preorder bonuses? I didn't get my stylus. :(

Do they usually ship those seperate? Or should it have shown up with the game?

It's certainly possible for it to come separately but I don't see why it would in this case. I'd call them up.

Top Bottom