• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy |OT| Yes, "One-Winged Angel" is in! Quit asking!

Got it early (by EU standards). I bought it during my lunch break, so now I have to wait until after work to play it. The next 3 hours are going to feel long as fuck.

Roubjon

Does anyone here have some footage of some of the hardest songs in the game? I may want to get this because I love Final Fantasy and I love rhythm games, but I'm worried it will be too easy.

Does anyone here have some footage of some of the hardest songs in the game? I may want to get this because I love Final Fantasy and I love rhythm games, but I'm worried it will be too easy.

You will own this.

The Chaos Shrine stuff is difficult and I haven't even tried expert yet. It's easily accessible but you can ramp up the difficulty if you want.

Chaos Shrine is all about murdering me
Yeah, seriously! It doesn't help that I really only ever played 2 FF games and I bought this purely to have a fun rhythm game on the 3DS. The difficulty ramps up really quick in there and you can't unlock new songs without completing the previous one.

Synless

Sunleth Waterscape SSS rank get!!!!

On basic :(
I am pretty phsyched that I have been getting SS ranks on Ultimate Score songs though.

Munkyspace

So again just for clarification, despite a few abilities here and there, are there really no major difference between using specific party members?

Each party member has a different set of stats and buffs/abilities.

Cloud, for instance, is high in STR and has decent special attacks and HP buffs, which makes him pretty useless in FMS stages. He's more suited for BMS.

Onion Knight, on the other hand, has some pretty amazing AGI buffs, which makes him good for FMS.

A character like Zidane is good for just about all of the stage types, as his stats can be rounded out pretty well with abilities. That, and Steal is always a good time for BMS.

eXistor

Bought it today, just played a bit during my break. Loving it! I also got the stylus (I put a chocobo on there), but I'm just gonna swith to my DSiXL stylus, the grooves in the pen hurt my finger...

Synless

Is there a trick to getting crystals? I'm trying to get Ashe and haven't managed to even get one of her crystals yet.

rpmurphy

Each party member has a different set of stats and buffs/abilities.

Cloud, for instance, is high in STR and has decent special attacks and HP buffs, which makes him pretty useless in FMS stages. He's more suited for BMS.

Onion Knight, on the other hand, has some pretty amazing AGI buffs, which makes him good for FMS.

A character like Zidane is good for just about all of the stage types, as his stats can be rounded out pretty well with abilities. That, and Steal is always a good time for BMS.
In addition, you get extra Rhythmia for having a character in the party from the same game as the song.

Quixzlizx

A non-gaffer friend of mine has been overcome by pity at your crystal-collection efforts, and has given me the following mini-FAQ to post:

"Is there a trick to getting crystals? I'm trying to get Ashe and haven't managed to even get one of her crystals yet."

The trick is finding a boss in chaos shrine that has that crystal on its loot table. Lightning gets Libra early on so it's easier to see the drops in fewer runs. Which boss you get is somewhat controlled by how you do in FMS sections of the dark note.

For instance, I have a dark note with Barbariccia as boss 3, dropping Orange and Green Crystals. However, I only get her in BMS if I get a perfect chain on FMS. Otherwise, I seem to consistently pull Gilgamesh (boss 1). The boss 1s all seem to have pretty bad loot tables.

So, it seems the trick is getting a boss that drops the color crystal you want and then acing the FMS (so a lower-difficulty dark note would be helpful) to get the boss 3 with the better loot/crystals. Steal MIGHT have a chance of nabbing a crystal. I think I got both an orange and green off one run, but I might be misremembering (last night is a blur).

Kyou

loving this game

really liking the feel of the gameplay. It has a good, uh, "action" to it

edit: Although the event sections are kind of super boring

B00TE

Having a blast on expert songs, too scared to try ultimate until I can perfect stuff on expert. Still need to finish Series mode rather than derping around in challenge mode.

I'd forgotten how relaxing the field music from FFIX was.

kswiston

Not an expert at rhythm games like some of you folks (no SS or SSS rankings yet), but does anyone find the event mode a lot harder than the other two? I almost always get a S ranking in field mode, and usually an A/S in battle, but I am getting a ton of C/Bs in event mode... Maybe I just need practice.

Synless

Easier than it looks. Find your favorite song out of the bunch and have it be your first foray into Ultimate. That's what I did, at least.
Some songs are ridiculous on Ultimate, favorite or not. I can SS some of them, and there have been a few I have died within the first 30-40 seconds.

Amir0x

Banned
wtf @ some of these Ultimate difficulty tracks

Fuckin' hell, at these speeds sometimes the 3DS just simply registers my swipes all wrong. Gah, this is what I prefer regular controls... no confusion or interpretation >_<

Glix

Picked this up on the way to work, but getting too many calls to try it!

Packaging is beautiful, I can't wait.

MrDaravon

A non-gaffer friend of mine has been overcome by pity at your crystal-collection efforts, and has given me the following mini-FAQ to post:

Close, but:

If you do very well in the FMS, you'll see your character pass a sign that mentions Boss No. 2 and Boss No. 3. If you never reach that sign in the FMS, you will fight Boss No. 1.

If you do pass that sign and don't do well during the first few enemies in the BMS, you'll fight Boss No. 2. If you do well, you'll face Boss No. 3. (I'm pretty sure the boss it set by the third enemy you face, because it will mention a boss number at the beginning of that enemy.)

I can confirm this, as the ONLY time I have ever gotten Boss 1 was when I failed to reach the sign in the FMS. I have also gotten Perfect Chains on the FMS and gotten Boss 2, which contradicts your friend. Not sure about the Boss 2/3 bit (where you get Boss 2 if you do poorly at the start of the BMS and you get Boss 3 if you do well at the BMS), I haven't kept track that closely. I really wish Chaos Shrine was explained better as a whole, because then you could also say that either all of my experiences (or your friend's) has just been a result of random shit. Also no one seems to be quite sure how the game determines the difficulty (No. xx) of the Dark Notes you unlock, I'm seeing some people who are getting 99 ones non-stop, but I'm getting a ton at 30, it's bizarre.

Also has anyone seen a list of all character abilities? No point in not equipping abilities in the Chaos Shrine since it doesn't track high scores or anything (and ironically the 7,999,999 hard cap doesn't apply in that mode, even if you have stuff equipped) and I'm seeing some people say at the higher level Dark notes (like 90+) you need to have everyone maxed and with Limit Breaks, but I haven't even seen that yet.

rpmurphy

wtf @ some of these Ultimate difficulty tracks

Fuckin' hell, at these speeds sometimes the 3DS just simply registers my swipes all wrong. Gah, this is what I prefer regular controls... no confusion or interpretation >_<
The timing window in this game I find is pretty generous. The only swipes I have difficulty with right now are EMS where the swipes are towards odd angles.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
...Someday the Dream Will End is on the DLC store thing? That's one of my favourite BGMs from FFX. Must... resist... urge...

I don't wanna buy it. I can just pop the OST in and pretend I'm playing along. >.>

I've been in the Challenge mode menu for 20 minutes now, listening to that Blinded by Light arrangement.

I have a problem.
I did the same thing with Hunter's Chance. You do not have a problem.

How much you think this game is going to sell in the end NA and EU? (waiting for friday is getting harder T.T)
Perfo, you're going to love this game. I guarantee it.

I wont be buying any DLC until I get the 3DSXL
I still dont understand how nintendo does not have a persistent online for users.
Nothing is linked to me but rather the system which is ridiculous.
I've been extremely selective of what I buy, in fact Pushmo is it.
I want to spend money on the DLC songs, but I don't think I will

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I can't decide if this localization is terrible or genius. Or both.

it's genius.

Cloud at the title screen saying "H-How do I put this on?" is genius.

I'm guessing the title screen quotes are just famous quotes from their respective games.

KillGore

So I've only played FF1, FF7, FF8 and FF10 and I really really reaaaaally enjoy music games, should I purchase this GAF? About to leave soon and was thinking about buying it. I'm guessing I won't be getting the stylus though :\

Wiz

So I've only played FF1, FF7, FF8 and FF10 and I really really reaaaaally enjoy music games, should I purchase this GAF? About to leave soon and was thinking about buying it. I'm guessing I won't be getting the stylus though :\

Absolutely yes. I haven't played through every FF game myself, but I'm still having loads of fun with it. You will enjoy your favorite FF games a lot more though.

I wont be buying any DLC until I get the 3DSXL
I still dont understand how nintendo does not have a persistent online for users.
Nothing is linked to me but rather the system which is ridiculous.
I've been extremely selective of what I buy, in fact Pushmo is it.
I want to spend money on the DLC songs, but I don't think I will

But....this makes no sense. You can transfer everything you have downloaded to the 3DS XL when you get it. You lose nothing and you keep everything. So why not just download stuff you want and when you get the XL transfer all your data over.

Also unified accounts are coming...probably will be instituted when the WiiU is released.

Bumhead

Banned

This was my exact dilema, having only played FF8, FF9, FF10 and parts of FF13.

I wasn't familiar with either song in the demo yet absolutely loved it, which for me was enough to place a pre-order straight away. My main issue with the game was that I wouldn't be familiar with and therefore appreciate huge chunks of the track list, but the demo showed me that wasn't an issue.

laika09

Nooooooooo!

Are you talking about the hemiola section with the drops after?

I have no idea what that means, sorry.

But going by the version of the XIII OST it cuts out just after the ~2:00 minute mark which is what I qualify as the 'best part'.

;_;

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
it's genius.

Cloud at the title screen saying "H-How do I put this on?" is genius.

I'm guessing the title screen quotes are just famous quotes from their respective games.
Yeah. Zidane's "you don't need a reason to help people" is straight from FFIX, and Tidus's whiny "but this is my story! D:" is from FFX. "I'm not your sister" from Lightning is another reason to keep her off of the investigation team.

I wonder what they take to generate the random phrases before you start levels, though.

I'm sure of it, I already played the DEMO plenty of times infact! Can't wait.
It's a good game on its own, but when you add the FF nostalgia to it, it ends up being pretty darn awesome.

Thoraxes said:
Nooooooooo!

Are you talking about the hemiola section with the drops after?
I'll double check, but I think that bit might be omitted. A lot of the themes cut off before the really good parts. They cut off my favourite bit of FFVII's Staff Roll, for example, and cut right to the lyrics portion of Suteki da ne in the FFX cinematic part. Edit: I think you're fine.

Top Bottom