• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy |OT| Yes, "One-Winged Angel" is in! Quit asking!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Theatrhythm Megaten is the only other series that makes as much sense as Final Fantasy due to the vast number of musical genres they encompass. A Theatrhythm Dragon Quest, for example, would get boring real quick.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Theatrhythm Rhythm Heaven. A rhythm game with themes from a rhythm game. Inception.

Is this game worth getting even if I know nothing about Final Fantasy? The only one I've played is the first one but I liked the demo and rhythm games like this in general, and I was wondering if I'll still enjoy this game even though all the songs will be new to me or whether it's heavily dependant on nostalgia for the series.

We're in the same boat. I know next to nothing of the series, but I'm fairly excited for the game. It is probably heavy on the nostalgia, but I don't mind, I'm getting it for the music. Even if we know little about the game or music for that matter, at least we will find out why the music is herald as some of the best when we get into it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Theatrhythm Megaten is way enticing now. You know what to do, Atlus.

Theatrhythm Megaten is the only other series that makes as much sense as Final Fantasy due to the vast number of musical genres they encompass. A Theatrhythm Dragon Quest, for example, would get boring real quick.
So you're saying you don't want stages based on Open Your Heart, Crisis City, or Ice Cap Zone.... :/

OMG Aero said:
Is this game worth getting even if I know nothing about Final Fantasy? The only one I've played is the first one but I liked the demo and rhythm games like this in general, and I was wondering if I'll still enjoy this game even though all the songs will be new to me or whether it's heavily dependant on nostalgia for the series.
If you're really into the rhythm genre and are attuned to stuff like EBA, you can get into this rather easily. You just won't have the nostalgia factor to go with it, which is generally the game's biggest draw. The harder challenge stages are for people who are used to the rhythm genre, but you'll have to clear the series stages first (which are generally pretty easy).

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Theatrhythm Megaten is way enticing now. You know what to do, Atlus.

So you're saying you don't want stages based on Open Your Heart, Crisis City, or Ice Cap Zone.... :/
Theatrhythm Smash Bros. first.
This game is so, so good. Square-Enix can still whip out a fresh, new experience when they feel like it, which is not often these days.
I don't see anything particularly innovative or fresh about this game. Even the RPG elements are clearly tacked on.

Caelestis

A Megaten version would be godly, but what are the chances of it happening? I can see Atlus being open to the idea, but SE not so much. :(

I know little myself but i'm having fun, though I guess it's a nice feeling when I actually recognise a track. Point is you can jump in as a rhythm game fan quite easily.

And if we're still mentioning our Theatrhythm *insert series* fantasies I nominate Konami making a Castlevania Theatrhythm rip off, trust me people, it's the best option.

Rootbeer

Banned
Been playing my copy today. Love the graphical style so much!! Really fun spin on the rythm genre. I would love a Kingdom Hearts version!!!

zroid

Banned
I've only played about half of the FF titles featured here, but I'm feeling extraordinarily compelled to go through the others thanks to this game.

8 and 9 have been in my pile of shame for far too long :(

Once PSone compatibility gets added to Vita I'll finally do it.

Glix

In terms of collectables or in a crossover kind of way?

If it's the first, I'll be playing it for a lllllooooooooooooong time.

Both! The whole vibe of it. The quality. The crossover. The collecting. Everything.

It's really great.

Famassu

Well, that explains it. Way to kill my goodwill toward Square yet again.
I'm pretty sure the creative mind(s) behind this game are still from Square Enix. The development was just outsourced to indiezero, but Square Enix people were still involved with the development. Kind of like with the Dragon Quest series.

EDIT: Nomura is the creative director of the game, for example.

B00TE

Looks like I need to grind out this first Dark Note I got. And the BMS I need to beat is from FFXII. Killing a Judge gives me the shards needed for Locke. BRING IT!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Looks like I need to grind out this first Dark Note I got. And the BMS I need to beat is from FFXII. Killing a Judge gives me the shards needed for Locke. BRING IT!

Wonder if having Zidane and Locke together would destroy field stages lol

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
of course I had to buy a defective game the day I go on vacation

78cOe.jpg

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Just loaded a $20 card - how often are they planning on releasing DLC? Debating whether to use the rest of my remaining balance on other stuff on the eShop or saving it for future DLC.

Amir0x

Banned
Vivi!

4sIIr.jpg

The easiest way to unlock characters, that I can tell, is to play Dark Notes until you find one that drops the shard color you want, then just grind that same Dark Note out.

Vivi is my boy, that used to be who I had in my avatar in the old days. I'm still trying to unlock him :mad:

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
After unequiping everything, I find it's better to go naked!

The songs aren't really that hard that you need your skills to beat them, and that bonus at the end is awesome!

still gotta wait to call on ebgames for that goddamn stylus...claw hand!!!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Sometimes this happens to me, I know it sounds silly, but did you blow into the cart slot?

Also, your screens look like ass, get some microfiber up in that joint.

Tried reseating cart, reseating sd card, restarting 3ds, turning wifi on and off, deleting stuff on SD card, blowing on card and slot.

Screen happens right after "now saving" on boot, icon shows up just fine on home menu

RE:R boots fine, so not a console thing.

Glix

Tried reseating cart, reseating sd card, restarting 3ds, turning wifi on and off, deleting stuff on SD card, blowing on card and slot.

Screen happens right after "now saving" on boot, icon shows up just fine on home menu

Wow. That's brutal. Sorry man.

You have space on your SD?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Oh damn you all for hyping me up. A crap ton of games in my backlog, but I just couldn't resist this afternoon when they had one left with a stylus...

7504065930_0cca90a773_c.jpg

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
This is the best Final Fantasy game I've bought in recent years. Kinda sad, actually. ;_;

Loving the game though. :D

RE:R boots fine, so not a console thing.

Corrupt save file? Can it be erased?

After unequiping everything, I find it's better to go naked!

The songs aren't really that hard that you need your skills to beat them, and that bonus at the end is awesome!

still gotta wait to call on ebgames for that goddamn stylus...claw hand!!!

The skills are mainly so you can earn other items and skills :) Sure, you don't need skills to make the songs easier, but to defeat enemies faster so you can beat the bosses that drop rarer items, or to advance faster through the field stages so you can reach treasure points, you'll want those items and skills.

Without the skills, all you are playing for is score.

laika09

Skills are definitely useful for Dark Notes. With the right stuff equipped I can beat two bosses in the same battle scene (= two crystals).

Kesagiri

I love FFXI's soundtrack, especially for the storyline sequences. I wish this game had more of XI's music.

Here's a great song from a pretty epic cutscene with Fenrir taking out some armies

Yeah, Ragnarok made it into Dissidia Duodecim so it'd be silly if they didn't put it in this game for dlc. Unfortunately I never got far in any missions in FFXI so I never experienced it in either ToAU or WotG missions, and this was with six years of play. It's one of my favorite FFXI tracks anyway.

isny

napkin dispenser
Um like 45-50ish. I can't check right now.

That makes sense. I'm at 15ish and getting a shard every second or so dark notes, so getting two per at that level seems fair. I thought you were somehow getting two at a low level =)

Varshes

Anyone know if I buy some of the DLC songs, and then I upgrade to a XL in August, would the purchases transfer as well? Not sure how the whole Nintendo Network thing works now...

Glix

I hit "home" during the FFX intro song and when I went back the system acted like it was locked up for a good 15+ seconds.

I was sure it crashed, then it started right back up again.

Top Bottom