• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy |OT| Yes, "One-Winged Angel" is in! Quit asking!

isny

napkin dispenser
This was my exact dilema, having only played FF8, FF9, FF10 and parts of FF13.

I wasn't familiar with either song in the demo yet absolutely loved it, which for me was enough to place a pre-order straight away. My main issue with the game was that I wouldn't be familiar with and therefore appreciate huge chunks of the track list, but the demo showed me that wasn't an issue.

It's funny as I'm almost the opposite of you guys who have only played the newer games. I've played all of the NES/SNES ones and about half of IX and X but really kept away from the newer ones as they just don't compare to the old school ones.

I actually cringe whenever I hear one winged angel, so I'm just going to stay away from the newer music in Theatrythm and enjoy the older stuff =)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Yeah. Zidane's "you don't need a reason to help people" is straight from FFIX, and Tidus's whiny "but this is my story! D:" is from FFX. "I'm not your sister" from Lightning is another reason to keep her off of the investigation team.

I don't think it's character dependent. I think they just have a huge list of random words in each column, similar to the proficard titles.

Glix

Oh my, this game is fantastic and filled with love! I am going to be obsessed.

I'm going on a two week trip and this will be perfect for the down time. I am so impressed with all aspects...

...except for playing the FF1 event thing and having all the text be in Japanese. Besides that, everything is super awesome so far.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I don't think it's character dependent. I think they just have a huge list of random words in each column, similar to the proficard titles.
Probably the case. I had Cloud say something about love in one of them, which was pretty out of character for Dissidia/AC/Theatrhythm Cloud.

Munkyspace

Has anyone actually unlocked a new character yet? I keep getting shards, but they're all different colors. At this rate, I'll have my first unlockable at 60k rm.

My copy shipped from Amazon today, argh, I want to play it so bad right now. Oh, while only slightly off topic, what are the chances that Square makes a Theatrhythm Chrono Series GAF? I desperately want to play all of the songs from Chrono Cross. Do it Square, do it if you love money.

rpmurphy

My copy shipped from Amazon today, argh, I want to play it so bad right now. Oh, while only slightly off topic, what are the chances that Square makes a Theatrhythm Chrono Series GAF? I desperately want to play all of the songs from Chrono Cross. Do it Square, do it if you love money.
I'm hoping for Theatrythm Dragon Quest and SaGa.

I'm hoping for Theatrythm Dragon Quest and SaGa.

Haven't heard a ton of music from those series so I can't get much hype for them, but yeah, more Theatrhythm games the better I think. Maybe we can get lucky and Nintendo would allow Square to make a Zelda, Mario, or Metroid Theatrhythm game. Oh god it would be glorious.

isny

napkin dispenser
Haven't heard a ton of music from those series so I can't get much hype for them, but yeah, more Theatrhythm games the better I think. Maybe we can get lucky and Nintendo would allow Square to make a Zelda, Mario, or Metroid Theatrhythm game. Oh god it would be glorious.

I'd rather have an EBA game with Nintendo characters.

Theatrythm is just too hard on the hands to play. I'm finding myself putting it down often or using the KI stand. I also tried three different stylus types and none really work well for this game.

So it kinda seems like the meat of the game is in Chaos Shrine huh?

I'm not too far into the game yet and I dunno about everyone else but, for me, this is LITERALLY the first game that SE has put out that feels worthy of the name SQUARE. (Haven't played TWEWY or BBS yet though.)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Is there a reason iNiS went from Ouendan/EBA to Lips/The Black Eyed Peas Experience? After Ouendan/EBA, I thought a natural transition would be a Zelda/Mario/Donkey Kong-themed Ouendan.

If that happens, I would not be able to resist the urge to purchase the DLC since Chrono Cross has my favourite soundtrack of all time.

Wouldn't mind a SaGa or DQ one at all, though. Leaning more towards SaGa.

laika09

Has anyone actually unlocked a new character yet? I keep getting shards, but they're all different colors. At this rate, I'll have my first unlockable at 60k rm.

Vivi!

4sIIr.jpg

The easiest way to unlock characters, that I can tell, is to play Dark Notes until you find one that drops the shard color you want, then just grind that same Dark Note out.

rpmurphy

Yeah, not that the Chrono games aren't a great pick for a Theatrhythm title, it's just that the series only consists of two games whereas the other two have quite a lot of titles to pull from which I think is part of the appeal.

Atlus allowing a Ys version? Oh god the brutality on the hands. I can't imagine that on even on hard.

That would be Falcom, not Atlus. And Falcom is a licensing machine, they'd allow anything to anyone handing them a wad of cash. The trick is finding someone willing to pay the wad of cash :)

Any tips on beating bosses? It seems like by the time I get to the bosses there is not enough time to actually beat them >.<

Level up your characters so you can equip more powerful special attacks which kill enemies faster, and choose something good to equip. And choose characters for your party that are more battle based and less field based.

Level up your characters so you can equip more powerful special attacks which kill enemies faster, and choose something good to equip. And choose characters for your party that are more battle based and less field based.

And who would you say are more battle focused? Currently I have Squall, Terra, Shanttoto and Cloud

bitoriginal

Turns up my copy did arrive in the post today, but the postman put it in a strange place.

Anyway, I've played this for five hours so far, and I've gotta say I'm blown away with the charm this game has. As someone who has never played a Final Fantasy game for more than five hours, and doesn't particularly like stylus based rhythm games, I'm enjoying this far more than I expected to. I love the style, and the way you unlock stuff is perfect to keep me coming back for more. Fuck the dark notes though, I spent 2 hours just trying to progress past one song.

Question: Is it better to equip items for the dark notes stages, or use nothing to get the stoic bonus?

Thoraxes

I have no idea what that means, sorry.

But going by the version of the XIII OST it cuts out just after the ~2:00 minute mark which is what I qualify as the 'best part'.

;_;
It's OK :D That sounds like it's right after my favorite part (but also that means it cuts out the rest of the awesomeness (i.e. that cooldown section)! D: )
I'll double check, but I think that bit might be omitted. A lot of the themes cut off before the really good parts. They cut off my favourite bit of FFVII's Staff Roll, for example, and cut right to the lyrics portion of Suteki da ne in the FFX cinematic part. Edit: I think you're fine.
Wooooooo!

That little transitory section where the bottom drops out followed by that rise/fall arpeggiation was the first time I actually felt like I was flying while listening to music. I was all butterflies inside.

mjc

So FFXI has way better music than I thought. Very cool stuff. I beat all the games on basic so for kicks I went right to One-Winged Angel as my first expert song....big mistake. Got rocked pretty hard. I was grinding through basic just because it definitely started to feel like a chore instead of fun, but I can tell its gonna get real fun on expert/ultimate modes.

Edit: I like how a fucking book of text is thrown at you during the intro song of FFXIII. What a joke of a game that was.

laika09

So my build is about right? >.<

You can still mix them around if you're having trouble with a particular stage.

At level 40 Cloud and Zidane got abilities (named after their limit breaks!) that let them do a ton of damage as soon as a boss appears. Some other characters probably get that as well.

That would be Falcom, not Atlus. And Falcom is a licensing machine, they'd allow anything to anyone handing them a wad of cash. The trick is finding someone willing to pay the wad of cash :)

Ah, right, I usually get those two mixed up, thanks for the correction. Still, it would be pretty crazy to have a Ys version as well.

Glix

Theatrhythm Kingdom Hearts or, better yet, Theatrhythm Yoko Shimomura needs to happen.

Yeah, sick. I guess that is why Theatrhythm is a separate trademark or whatever. I'm totally okay with Square making more games like this, this game is shockingly good.

rpmurphy

I believe so, that is why you happen to get duplicates of items. If I remember correctly, Jeff Gertsmann said something along those lines with the video demo of the game on Giantbomb.
Will they be gone if I also "Retry" a song? Or will they remain until I complete the song? I guess I'll have to try that out.

Glix

This game reminds me so much of Melee/Brawl.

Does that make sense to anyone else?

Trying my first brown note now.

Are all items one-time use?

Some are one time use, but permanent - for example, I got a scroll of Exp Level 1 - when used, it permanently gives an ability to your party leader after finishing a field stage, that you can equip for extra experience (if you have the CP, that is).

Gambit

Theatrhythm Kingdom Hearts or, better yet, Theatrhythm Yoko Shimomura needs to happen.

You are wrong, what needs to happen is a Mitsuda Theatrhytm, with Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross and Xenogears. That needs to happen!

Yours is fine as well, KH had great music

Theatrhythm Chrono is all I would ask for. The music from that series is wonderful.

Also one based on the Mana series would be lovely.

I am loving this game so very much.

OMG Aero

Is this game worth getting even if I know nothing about Final Fantasy? The only one I've played is the first one but I liked the demo and rhythm games like this in general, and I was wondering if I'll still enjoy this game even though all the songs will be new to me or whether it's heavily dependant on nostalgia for the series.

Cheska

I'd prefer a Theatrhythm Masashi Hamauzu, Yuzo Koshiro, Sonic Team, or Shoji Meguro over that, tbh.

I think this would be my first priority now that we have this Final Fantasy composition.

Is this game worth getting even if I know nothing about Final Fantasy? The only one I've played is the first one but I liked the demo and rhythm games like this in general, and I was wondering if I'll still enjoy this game even though all the songs will be new to me or whether it's heavily dependant on nostalgia for the series.

Do you like good music? You mentioned you liked rhythm games so if anything you can think of it as just another rhythm game with different stages and content. If anything, this may get you interested in the other Final Fantasy games :)

Sadist

This game reminds me so much of Melee/Brawl.

Does that make sense to anyone else?

Trying my first brown note now.
In terms of collectables or in a crossover kind of way?

If it's the first, I'll be playing it for a lllllooooooooooooong time.

Top Bottom