• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy |OT| Yes, "One-Winged Angel" is in! Quit asking!

Tyeforce

Just wondering, is there anyone else here who bought this game for the rhythm gameplay despite not being familiar with Final Fantasy? And if so, were you still able to enjoy the game?

bitoriginal

Just wondering, is there anyone else here who bought this game for the rhythm gameplay despite not being familiar with Final Fantasy? And if so, were you still able to enjoy the game?

Yes! Ive never actually completely 'played' a Final Fantasy game. I mean I've had a go, but I never lasted more than a couple of hours. I'm loving this game, its definitely enjoyable despite not being a fan of the series.

Robin64

Got this game early (by UK standards) and am having just the time of my life. Stayed up far too late playing it last night, but but that's bad when it comes to Theatrhythm, I begin to get sloppy and miss things a lot more. Ah well.

I wish you didn't have to intentionally do bad in Dark Notes to get the lesser bosses, though. I'm a bit of a completionist and want to see what items they have, but I struggle to even open them up. When I purposely do bad, I usually go too far and then fail. Bleh. Wish you could choose somehow.

Tyeforce

Yes! Ive never actually completely 'played' a Final Fantasy game. I mean I've had a go, but I never lasted more than a couple of hours. I'm loving this game, its definitely enjoyable despite not being a fan of the series.
Hm, okay, then maybe I'll be picking this up along with Spirit Camera and Rhythm Thief next week during Best Buy's buy 2 get 1 free sale.

Pre-ordered this from Amazon UK for the stylus. The game is out tommorow, they have not dispatched it yet. It is 'Dispatching Soon'. Well I would CERTAINLY HOPE SO AMAZON.

profit

Anyone in Belgium had any luck getting this game? I went to 4 stores yesterday and no one there knew what I was talking about and could not find the game in their system. Going to try one of the bigger game stores tonight, the game shows up on their website, so I hope they have it in stock there.....

bitoriginal

Anyone in Belgium had any luck getting this game? I went to 4 stores yesterday and no one there knew what I was talking about and could not find the game in their system. Going to try one of the bigger game stores tonight, the game shows up on their website, so I hope they have it in stock there.....

I don't think its released in Europe until Friday? I don't know about Belgium specifically though so I may be wrong.

Gambit

Still no despatch info from amazon.uk.

Why you torturing me, amazon? why?

When the Cosmo Canyon DLC is already so tantalising

Near 12k ra here, completed series mode. I'll be unlocking Ultimate mode for songs I like later today. Also I got a Dark Note with Defiers of Fate as a battle stage, which is amazing.

Someone please try 52 Magic Pot.

Just ordered this, the demo was great although I'm not the biggest fan of rhythm games. I love FF music and this will be a great nostalgia trip.
Carpal tunnel syndrome here I come!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
This game is fun times. I just wish the OP and EDs had actual levels instead of that watered down shit that is skippable.:/

hamchan

I'm quite worried that getting a 3DS XL will make this game much harder due to having to drag the stylus a longer distance.

profit

I don't think its released in Europe until Friday? I don't know about Belgium specifically though so I may be wrong.

Thats what I thought aswell, but when I checked the site of Game Mania last week, it said: realease 4 juli. And yesterday it switched to "out now". So I hope I can pick it up later today.

aechris

I don't get it. On the course screen it says "Basic Course 13/13 100%", "Expert Course 0/13 0%", but I can't for the life of me figure out how to switch to Expert Course. I don't see anywhere to do Expert instead of just Basic again. Can someone help me out please?

Totally embarrassing question because I'm sure it's easy and I am just missing it.

I don't get it. On the course screen it says "Basic Course 13/13 100%", "Expert Course 0/13 0%", but I can't for the life of me figure out how to switch to Expert Course. I don't see anywhere to do Expert instead of just Basic again. Can someone help me out please?

Totally embarrassing question because I'm sure it's easy and I am just missing it.

Did you beat the stages in Expert on Challenge Mode?

hamchan

You have to finish the songs on Expert difficulty in Challenge Mode first before they unlock for Series.

Westraid

theatrhythm.png

Got it! One day early but it feels like I've been waiting for far too long.

Tiny bit bummed it's not coming with the FF stylus, as I'm not too fond of the standard 3DS one, but I'll live.

GolazoDan

Played the demo of this last night and really enjoyed it. I'm not a Final Fantasy expert, in fact the only one I've ever got into was VIII on Playstation, but the music's nice anyway and the demo includes a badass battle song from VIII so that works for me. Also I generally love rhythm games, Rhythm Thief was brilliant, so I'll probably buy this.

TheExodu5

Banned
So...first impressions after a few hours of play.

The track list is great. The rhythm mechanics are not all that great, due largely in part to the imprecise slides that need to be input. The charting is not that great either...a lot of the time it feels as though the charting has almost nothing to do with the music. As a rhythm game it pales in comparison to Elite Beat Agents and Rhythm Heaven, IMO.

I'm still enjoying it, and I think it's worth picking up for those who like the track list or rhythm games in general, but it's not amazing.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Vivi!

4sIIr.jpg

The easiest way to unlock characters, that I can tell, is to play Dark Notes until you find one that drops the shard color you want, then just grind that same Dark Note out.

Do you have to beat the third boss in order to get that shard? I assume so. What level did you unlock Vivi?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
The game definitely lacks the intensity and energy of say EBA / Ouendan. But I'm not so sure if you could get that kind of feel from FF music.

Also I'm shocked "Suteki da ne" is a event song in this game. Makes me even more bummed the likes of "Eyes on me" isn't playable in that sense.;_;

laika09

Do you have to beat the third boss in order to get that shard? I assume so. What level did you unlock Vivi?

The second and third bosses can drop shards. I found a Dark Note where both the second and third bosses could drop an orange shard (I think it was Barbariccia and Manasvin Warmech but I assume those are all random) and just grinded that one a few times. I haven't faced a No. 1 boss yet but I assume that would be after failing the corresponding field section. Someone said they drop junk loot.

I don't remember when I unlocked Vivi but I would guess around level 40.

Man, I have no idea I've even faced a boss in Chaos Shrine until after I've completed the Dark Note. I don't know what is going on in the battle, I just see the notes.

"Boss No. x" will flash in the top-right once you've unlocked it, then the next enemy you'll face is the boss. There's a small audio cue when it appears and then another one once you defeat it. It's subtler than it needs to be but eventually you'll start to recognize it.

Man, I have no idea I've even faced a boss in Chaos Shrine until after I've completed the Dark Note. I don't know what is going on in the battle, I just see the notes.

zroid

Banned
I just noticed I unlocked Dancing Mad, but have no idea how/when. Must have tapped through the text too quickly that time :(

theatrhythm.png

Got it! One day early but it feels like I've been waiting for far too long.

Tiny bit bummed it's not coming with the FF stylus, as I'm not too fond of the standard 3DS one, but I'll live.

Same 3DS as me, I just got mine and this, my first 3DS game just arrived too. The inside of the case is amaze!!!

It's weird how green the DS looks in real life but so blue when you take a picture of it.

Munkyspace

The second and third bosses can drop shards. I found a Dark Note where both the second and third bosses could drop an orange shard (I think it was Barbariccia and Manasvin Warmech but I assume those are all random) and just grinded that one a few times. I haven't faced a No. 1 boss yet but I assume that would be after failing the corresponding field section. Someone said they drop junk loot.

I don't remember when I unlocked Vivi but I would guess around level 40.

"Boss No. x" will flash in the top-right once you've unlocked it, then the next enemy you'll face is the boss. There's a small audio cue when it appears and then another one once you defeat it. It's subtler than it needs to be but eventually you'll start to recognize it.

In most cases, Boss 1 does have at least one shard on their list of drops.

hamchan

People keep talking about the sliding being imprecise but I haven't had a problem at all. I'm only playing basic and getting S ranks though, maybe it becomes harder to do multiple slides one after the other once I reach harder difficulties but right now it's pretty perfect.

zroid

Banned
Do the songs you unlock show up in Challenge Mode?

Yeah, they show up in Challenge, but not under the corresponding game. There's a new category.

People keep talking about the sliding being imprecise but I haven't had a problem at all. I'm only playing basic and getting S ranks though, maybe it becomes harder to do multiple slides one after the other once I reach harder difficulties but right now it's pretty perfect.

The big issue I have with the consecutive slide triggers (on harder difficulties) is you seem to have to lift the stylus between them. If I could just keep it held on the screen and make the gesture at the correct time, it would be a hell of a lot less annoying.

Wait, really? I have 9700 rm but my highest char is only level 29, and I've been using the same 4 chars this whole time.

All I've done though is finish all the normal series, and am currently going through expert in Challenge (currently at FFVI) to unlock the Expert series stuff. The only other things I've done are the first set of Ultimates in FFI and 2 Dark Notes.

And is it me, or does Normal really feel like Easy, and Expert seems more like a Standard level of difficulty? At least for stoic runs.

I've finished the basic series (with an S or higher), played a few expert songs, beat 6 dark notes and I think I've beaten only a handful of Ultimates. I've replayed some songs a number of times, namely, Saber's Edge, on Ultimate and each time I beat it, I got about 2000 exp. (I think that's with a stoic run btw). maybe that's why I'm so high. I've also been using the same 4 characters.

I just realized...in the Record menu, on the first page, each stat has 4 stars next to it...and you're able to get 4 gold stars depending on how much you've done. For example, I have 4165 Critical Hits and that gave me 1 gold star. This is going to add even MORE replay value which makes me VERY happy. If this was known already, sorry lol, but this is news to me.

Normal does indeed feel really easy. If it wasn't for how great the songs are, I would be bored.

Stoic runs are great.

Effect

How hard is it to play the game? I know there are various difficulty settings but does one miss out on things if they just play on easy? Or on normal instead of hard?

I mainly want to get the game for the music. However I'm sure I'll be able to keep up with the speed seen in some videos. Though I'm thinking those videos must have the game set on hard. Is the experience worse though on the easy or even normal settings? Or is it just about challenging yourself in the end?

Top Bottom