• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy |OT| Yes, "One-Winged Angel" is in! Quit asking!

McNum

From what I understand, that's actually a difficult question to answer, as none of them is definitive :/

Squeenix really needs to re-release that game on 3DS or Vita.
I'd be all over a Final Fantasy using Theatrythm's artsyle. It'd be a neat way to remake Final Fantasy VI without having to worry about the heard of playable characters. You know you want to see chibi Sabin suplex the Phantom Train.

Also just broke 15,000rn. Got the game yesterday. I haven't even unlocked any new characters yet. Just need two more Yellow Shards for the closest one, so watch as I unlock someone else first.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
so it's between the SNES and GBA? For the best FF6?

The PS1 version suffers from load times, and there are no other versions.

GBA:
+ Crisper
+ Added content
= New translation
- Controls a tad awkward
- Slight slowdown
- Lower audio fidelity

SNES:
+ Better audio fidelity
+ The original, baby
+ Available on Wii VC
- Not portable
- Bugs galore holy crap

McNum

How many of you feel compelled to replay a FF game because this game triggers memories?
...not yet. Close, but not yet.

I am closer to buying the updated PC Final Fantasy VII when that comes out, though... I hope that one pretty much becomes the definitive FF7 when it releases. It has potential to as FF7PC probably would be if it wasn't for all the bugs, crashing and heavy modding needed to run it on a modern PC.

TheExodu5

Banned
Listening through some of the GBA and SNES OST differences for Final Fantasy VI. Man, this track got butchered hard.

GBA:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zaf9nacmins

SNES:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79fe0wNariU

The battle tracks are mostly 'okay', but anything moody and melodic really doesn't play out too well.

Sorry for going off on a tangent. Just want to try to convince you to play on the SNES. Final Fantasy VI has an incredibly strong OST (my favorite video game OST of all time), so I'd like to stress that getting all you can out of the soundtrack is very important.

zroid

Banned
No one ever talks about the PS1 version, how is that?

aside from load times, that is. (also, are the load times that bad on the PSN release?)

eXistor

How many of you feel compelled to replay a FF game because this game triggers memories?

Totally. I've only played and finished FFIX once at release and it's probably my favorite of the bunch. Hearing the music in this really makes me want to go back and replay that sucker.

laika09

I was actually considering giving that steaming pile of shit FF2 another chance, but playing this resurfaced all of those terrible memories.

Definitely going to give some of my favorites another go this year, though.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Photo0098.jpg
Yay :D

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
can i bitch about this game not having arranged music some more?

So far I really like the game and it's obviously got a lot of content, particularly with the DLC.

But, just, in the hypothetical world where I still get to bitch about it anyway:
- Every character from every game should be available
- Every game in the series, not just mainline stuff, should be available--Mystic Quest and Tactics 1 especially!
- There should be remixed and arranged music, especially from prominent sources like the Piano Collections, the FF Remix album, and the Black Mages albums.
- There should be way more bosses and monsters
- There should be more like 10-12 songs per game represented.

</unreasonable>

Munkyspace

From what I understand, that's actually a difficult question to answer, as none of them is definitive :/

Squeenix really needs to re-release that game on 3DS or Vita.

A FFVI release with Theatrhythm graphics would be the last game I would ever need to purchase.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
So far I really like the game and it's obviously got a lot of content, particularly with the DLC.

But, just, in the hypothetical world where I still get to bitch about it anyway:
- Every character from every game should be available
- Every game in the series, not just mainline stuff, should be available--Mystic Quest and Tactics 1 especially!
- There should be remixed and arranged music, especially from prominent sources like the Piano Collections, the FF Remix album, and the Black Mages albums.
- There should be way more bosses and monsters
- There should be more like 10-12 songs per game represented.

</unreasonable>

A lot of this stuff is totally reasonable for a potential sequel or two though. Remember that this game at its core is a slightly retooled DS game.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I completely forgot Rhythm Thief comes out this upcoming week in NA as well. Just tried out the demo for that one, sorta feels like a spiritual successor to Space Channel 5.

Rhythm game overload!

TheGrue

Me. So much that I went to the PlayStation store to see which FFs they have there in anticipation of the PSOne compatibility patch so I can play them all on Vita. Looks like I can get them all except FFIII. I played the DS remake version of that back when it came out, so not like I haven't played it since it came out or anything, but am really thinking of playing through all of them in order from the beginning and would like to do it all on Vita (although I know I can't play anything past IX this way) once I finish up MGS3. Well, I guess I will probably get that done before the PSOne patch even hits, so I have lots of excitement ahead of me.

Actually, I just looked up FFIII and I guess there is a PSP version coming to Japan? Wonder what the odds of it coming to the U.S. and being playable on Vita would be.

Anyway, the short answer here is I am very compelled to replay all of them.

Sadist

Wow, the game really became popular in the past month didn't it?

A few months ago it seemed nobody was talking about it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Wow, the game really became popular in the past month didn't it?

A few months ago it seemed nobody was talking about it.

Yeah the buzz really bubbled up. Good reception in Japan, the wide assortment of DLC, really excellent reviews, the nice little preorder bonuses, I think everything about launch was handled well besides allocation, which seems a little low.

Must have spent nearly an hour trying to get All Critical on FFIV Main Theme Expert only to keep coming up short. Such bullshit that I missed 1 critical at one point

zroid

Banned
Yeah the buzz really bubbled up. Good reception in Japan, the wide assortment of DLC, really excellent reviews, the nice little preorder bonuses, I think everything about launch was handled well besides allocation, which seems a little low.

Funny, that, since they failed to meet demand in Japan as well.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Oh no, allocation's problems again? I hope it does still well in the West, with new shipments and all. At least, it seems Square has handheld buzz wise the launch pretty well, hoping they won't have much problems in shipping copies.

And I won't contribute until the week after the next ._.

What exactly is the quickest way to unlock, new none-DLC songs? In series mode, each FF from 1 through 13 has three songs available. That takes care of 39 tracks, but considering how the game is supposed to have "over 70 songs included" it's starting to feel pretty low on content. I keep getting that vocal version "sunleth path" song from FFXIII in Chaos Shrines over and over.

I really hope the "70 songs" count isn't counting expert and ultimate scores of each songs as a "seperate/new" track.

I'm getting pretty sick of Mambo de Chocobo. It feels like it's every second Dark Note.

Unless we're doing something wrong, it kinda seems like the game likes to spit the same track at you over and over, pretty heavily.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
What exactly is the quickest way to unlock, new none-DLC songs? In series mode, each FF from 1 through 13 has three songs available. That takes care of 39 tracks, but considering how the game is supposed to have "over 70 songs included" it's starting to feel pretty low on content. I keep getting that vocal version "sunleth path" song from FFXIII in Chaos Shrines over and over.

Uhh No that takes care of 65 songs are you forgetting intro and ending songs =/

XiaNaphryz

I'm getting pretty sick of Mambo de Chocobo. It feels like it's every second Dark Note.

Odd, I've only seen that track twice - the first two Dark Notes I got had that, but haven't seen it since. I think I'm up to 15 Dark Notes now.

I do seem to see certain tracks repeat 2 or 3 times.

zroid

Banned
Well seeing as there are apparently(?) only a selection of 10 of each type alotted to Dark Notes, it shouldn't be surprising you'd get a lot of repeats. Weird decision to limit them so much.

XiaNaphryz

Well seeing as there are apparently(?) only a selection of 10 of each type alotted to Dark Notes, it shouldn't be surprising you'd get a lot of repeats. Weird decision to limit them so much.

At least you can delete the repeats you don't care for.

Getting tracks like JENOVA and FFIV Battle Theme 1 in a Dark Note though before you unlock them normally for Challenge is awesome.

Don't worry you can get 50 new songs as dlc 1 dollar each :3 thank you

Wow. In the absence of a real story-mode, I totally expected it to have something like 8 tracks from each game (not to mention re-arrangements/remixes). All included. Core gameplay is great, but this is not nearly enough content for $40. I can't help but feel like I got ripped off here.

Stay classy SE and DLC as a whole!

XiaNaphryz

Wow. In the absence of a real story-mode, I totally expected it to have something like 8 tracks from each game (not to mention re-arrangements/remixes). All included. Core gameplay is great, but this is not nearly enough content for $40. I can't help but feel like I got ripped off here.

Stay classy SE and DLC as a whole!

There's 12 tracks you can unlock through getting enough rhythm points and/or getting a lucky Dark Note that happens to contain one of the tracks.

Mt. Gulg (FFI) (FMS)
Dungeon of the Giants (FFIV) (FMS)
Battle 1 (FFIV) (BMS)
Mambo de Chocobo (FFV) (FMS)
Searching for Friends (FFVI) (FMS)
The Fierce Battle (FFVI) (BMS)
Dancing Mad (FFVI) (BMS)
The Last Day (FFVII) (FMS)
Those Who Fight (FFVII) (BMS)
J-E-N-O-V-A (FFVII) (BMS)
Something to Protect (FFIX) (FMS)
Blinded By Light (FFXIII) (BMS)

I think there may be more tracks that are Dark Note exlcusive? Like FFXII - Ending Movie.

But yeah, there's a ton of DLC planned. If you're not interested in trying to set high scores on Ultimate and grinding out Dark Notes for new characters and aren't happy with the default track list, this may not be for you.

There's 12 tracks you can unlock through getting enough rhythm points and/or getting a lucky Dark Note that happens to contain one of the tracks.

Mt. Gulg (FFI) (FMS)
Dungeon of the Giants (FFIV) (FMS)
Battle 1 (FFIV) (BMS)
Mambo de Chocobo (FFV) (FMS)
Searching for Friends (FFVI) (FMS)
The Fierce Battle (FFVI) (BMS)
Dancing Mad (FFVI) (BMS)
The Last Day (FFVII) (FMS)
Those Who Fight (FFVII) (BMS)
J-E-N-O-V-A (FFVII) (BMS)
Something to Protect (FFIX) (FMS)
Blinded By Light (FFXIII) (BMS)

I think there may be more tracks that are Dark Note exlcusive? Like FFXII - Ending Movie.

But yeah, there's a ton of DLC planned. If you're not interested in trying to set high scores on Ultimate and grinding out Dark Notes for new characters and aren't happy with the default track list, this may not be for you.

Unlockable tracks definitely help. It doesn't feel as barebones at least. Thanks for the heads up. So glad to see Those who Fight is in there. I guess this opinion would vary from person to person but considering that I'm most emotionally attached to VII, VIII, IX, & X, I think I would have perferred if they released THEATRHTHM games dedicated to each entry in the series and have them go all-out with the fanservice with each game as opposed to mere samplings of each. But I guess that's neither here nor there.

Aren't some of the intro and outro songs included as regular stages? I've seen them come up in Dark Notes.

That would be awesome. I'd love to play VII's and X's intro tracks in actual stages.

Top Bottom