• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy |OT| Yes, "One-Winged Angel" is in! Quit asking!

Midou

My 3DS hasn't had some loving since Revelaitons and this game has caught my interest. Would you recommend this to a person who not only lacks rhythm, but also struggles with some rhythm games? I remember I enjoyed the Ouendan DS rhythm (apologies for misspelling) game back in the day.

As someone who has played a lot of rhythm games, I would say this one is easier to get into than some others. It doesn't seem like the timing requires tons of practice but at the same time getting perfect timing feels accurate. It's worth it for the nostalgia trip alone I would say. :p

I've only played it on lowest difficulty though, so it may get insanely difficult later, but it seems like it should be fair so far.

hitmon

As someone who has played a lot of rhythm games, I would say this one is easier to get into than some others. It doesn't seem like the timing requires tons of practice but at the same time getting perfect timing feels accurate. It's worth it for the nostalgia trip alone I would say. :p

I've only played it on lowest difficulty though, so it may get insanely difficult later, but it seems like it should be fair so far.

Just to be clear. There are different difficulty settings? That would be great for me. I was afraid it was just on set difficulty curve.

Pangya

Looking at the Japanese wiki, some of the trophies are almost impossible to achieve unless you go to some conventions or such to streetpass exchange profile cards...

My 3DS hasn't had some loving since Revelaitons and this game has caught my interest. Would you recommend this to a person who not only lacks rhythm, but also struggles with some rhythm games? I remember I enjoyed the Ouendan DS rhythm (apologies for misspelling) game back in the day.

If you can play Ouendan, you can play this. I don't have any rhythm either, so I need the consistent visual indicators both games have. I'd say the lowest difficulty in theatrhythm is harder than the lowest difficulty in Ouendan, though.

Regginald

Banned
Can't wait for this to arrive in the mail... hopefully no one steals it (my mailbox won't close). It was either this or Rhythm Thief, and I don't think I made the wrong choice based on these impressions.

massoluk

Banned
Just to be clear. There are different difficulty settings? That would be great for me. I was afraid it was just on set difficulty curve.

This is one of the easiest rhythm game I remember. Higher difficulties for each song are unlocked after you got A or better grade on your current levels.

More forgiving that Elite Beat Agent for sure. Still very addictive with incentives like unlockable

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Fuck ebgames. Also this game is hurting my wrists...

Bought a grip and a bigger stylus so I hope that alleviates some of the pain

Playing with my extra large DSiXL stylus over the slick 3DS one. Also used the Kid Icarus stand for a while, but just playing with the 3DS on the desk now is working even better. I would never play this game having to hold the system.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Getting into the higher difficulty Dark Notes now, and haven't played more than a few tracks on Ultimate so this caught me by surprise - there are slides where the arrows change directions as it approaches!? I eventually learned to read where they'll end up when you have to swipe them, but damn if that didn't throw me off guard for a bit.

Pangya

Playing with my extra large DSiXL stylus over the slick 3DS one. Also used the Kid Icarus stand for a while, but just playing with the 3DS on the desk now is working even better. I would never play this game having to hold the system.

I've been playing holding the 3DS in one hand just fine. I think the key is putting as little effort as possible when doing inputs on the touch screen. (Lightly tapping, barely sliding, etc)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The title menu track is so good.

Game arrived yesterday, god dammit, I can't stop playing. Put in 10 hours and 38 minutes in the past 24 hours. Terra's Theme is just beautiful and was the first song that I achieved an 'all critical' combo. Only gripe I have with the game is the sliding is hard to do on ultimate, especially when you have four or five tap movements in a row. My team as of now is:

- Terra (level 30)
- Onion Knight (level 31)
- Vaan (level 16)
- Warrior of Light (29)

Been switching characters' out to test new combos. Love doing the field music, so I tried setting up one with good speed and luck/magic (for battles). Only did the first dark note, pretty awesome, should be working on more, but busy with challenge mode. Can anyone recommend a character for battle music? And is luck/speed (single, maybe double attributes) worth having primarily? Or should it be more balanced?

Also it is painful to go through a song on expert or normal and miss a note by one towards the end. So frustrating, but I guess that is what makes it addicting as hell.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I don't have huge hands but man are they aching. Yeah, I did buy a dsixl stylus and another pen style one.

I just find the little corner of the stock stlyus irritating and sometimes simple slides I miss due to whatever. Have not SSS any songs yet but beat most already.

XiaNaphryz

Can anyone recommend a character for battle music? And is luck/speed (single, maybe double attributes) worth having primarily? Or should it be more balanced?
If you mean for Dark Notes, it's possible to get people who are okay for the field part as the leader but still can be high in strength or magic as well for the battle (i.e. Terra) - the main thing for the battle part is having characters with special boss-only attacks, as you want to get to the point where you can kill multiple bosses in one stage to try and get multiple crystal shards in one go. Also, as you get familiar with the battle tracks, you can tailor your magic attacks accordingly (i.e. if a track has mainly touch notes, use magic attacks that trigger off of touch notes).

If you mean for Dark Notes, it's possible to get people who are okay for the field part but still are high in strength/magic as well for the battle - the main thing for the battle part is having characters with special boss-only attacks, as you want to get to the point where you can kill multiple bosses in one stage to try and get multiple crystal shards in one go.

Hm, thanks, I don't think I have anyone that has boss-only attacks (unless, for Terra anyways,
blizzara, thundara
are ones you are talking about). And yeah I found that crazy, seeing it take so long for shards, but I guess I have to play the Dark Notes. Might try and get an SSS rank on Terra's Theme first (have S on all difficulties, not a terribly hard song, unlike One-Winged Angel) before diving into Dark Notes here. We'll see.

Also, curse you Square Enix for placing the DLC in the title screen, I am so close to buying them, but I want to get the majority of the songs first. I doubt that will happen though, especially as new DLC is released.

I bought all the DLC.

I feel dirty.

No no no, don't be, the people who bought horse armor should be. At least this has a justifiable reason, it's for Nintendo (partly). And just think that the revenue from the DLC will go towards a Kingdom Hearts, Mitsuda, Kanno, Dragon Quest version
I want to believe

If you mean for Dark Notes, it's possible to get people who are okay for the field part as the leader but still can be high in strength or magic as well for the battle (i.e. Terra) - the main thing for the battle part is having characters with special boss-only attacks, as you want to get to the point where you can kill multiple bosses in one stage to try and get multiple crystal shards in one go. Also, as you get familiar with the battle tracks, you can tailor your magic attacks accordingly (i.e. if a track has mainly touch notes, use magic attacks that trigger off of touch notes).

What are some boss only type attacks? Magic spells?

XiaNaphryz

Jesus, Jenova is hard as hell. So many arrows all over the damn place. I can't even imagine how it is on ultimate.

I really like Jenova, but then again I have yet to find any Expert level track too troublesome.

What are some boss only type attacks? Magic spells?

In the description it will mention being for bosses specifically. Shantotto's Ancient Magic is one example.

hitmon

If you can play Ouendan, you can play this. I don't have any rhythm either, so I need the consistent visual indicators both games have. I'd say the lowest difficulty in theatrhythm is harder than the lowest difficulty in Ouendan, though.

This is one of the easiest rhythm game I remember. Higher difficulties for each song are unlocked after you got A or better grade on your current levels.

More forgiving that Elite Beat Agent for sure. Still very addictive with incentives like unlockable

Thanks for the impressions! I don't mind some easier games nowadays.

'All Criticals' is a pain to get. Such an endurance and focus test. Even on basic it is seemingly impossible for me. I don't know, I never was one to focus for long periods, so it's annoying missing notes half-way through and having to restart.

XiaNaphryz

What? It's a Chaos Shrine track, meaning it has no Basic/Expert/Ultimate difficulty. When you unlock Chaos Shrine tracks in Challenge mode, they only have 1 difficulty level.

I've seen some Chaos only tracks have obviously different difficulty runs - tracks like Zanarkand.

zohar

Neo Member
I've seen some Chaos only tracks have obviously different difficulty runs - tracks like Zanarkand.

Yes, Chaos Shrine tracks are random and get more difficult as your party levels up. But Kagari is clearly saying that JENOVA has an Ultimate difficulty. Chaos Shrine tracks don't have named difficulty levels like that.

Jintor

...I haven't played the original tactics ;___;

I'm going to be knee-deep in S-E and Nippon Ichi games once I get a Vita

Jintor

Nintendo, give me a franchise-flavoured Ouendan/EBA. DO IT. YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO.

MAKE SAKURAI DESIGN YOUR TROPHY SYSTEM.

...AGAIN.

Universaldamps

Neo Member
Picked this up today. Really really impressed from the first couple hours of playtime. Especially enjoyed the FFX tracks since it's been quite a while since I last played that game. Some warm and nostalgic memories :)

True... but dat franchiseness...

What I really wanted back when it first came out was an official Ouendan/Phoenix Wright level.
I'd still rather keep Ouendan/EBA as it's own thing, but I do hope Nintendo sees the success (non-peripheral) rhythm games are having and commission another game in the series.

P.S. Anyone that likes Theatrhythm and hasn't played Ouendan/EBA yet, DO SO NOW.

Jintor

Anything to get iNis away from Lipz

I really hate it when I can't figure out how the music notes are supposed to interface with the song... some of these timings are impossible without prior knowledge...

'All Criticals' is a pain to get. Such an endurance and focus test. Even on basic it is seemingly impossible for me. I don't know, I never was one to focus for long periods, so it's annoying missing notes half-way through and having to restart.

What's really annoying is getting criticals all throughout the song until the very last note you get a great. I wanted to cry after that. ;-;

eXistor

P.S. Anyone that likes Theatrhythm and hasn't played Ouendan/EBA yet, DO SO NOW.

Honestly (I'm probably gonna get hated for it) but I didn't like EBA at all. The gameplay is fine and the presentation and stories are funny and heartwarming, but the music. My god, the music is terrible (in my opinion of course). Just a random collection of terrible pop-songs. If a rhythm game has shit music it is not worth playing. That said, I've only played EBA. Is Ouendan better at all, or is it just Japanese pop instead of western pop?

Jintor

I think the music is better in Ouendan (especially Ouendan 2) but quite frankly I don't care so much about the music as I do about the rhythm/beatmaps.

Top Bottom