• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy |OT| Yes, "One-Winged Angel" is in! Quit asking!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Grinding for crystal shards gets a lot easier when you find a note you can blow through quickly and kill multiple bosses. Haven't been able to get more than 3 at a time so far.

Stats so far:

Still only have played with just 4 chars, Terra (81), Cecil (76), Shantotto (77), Warrior of Light (76)

24008 rm
13 trophies
16:57 playtime

13 series completed on normal
42 tracks + all DLC completed in challenge on both normal and expert, 3 tracks on ultimate

65 normal cards
5 holofoil cards
16 tracks in music player
6 vids in the theater

Minwu, Cid, Locke unlocked

13 chaos notes unlocked

2/8 Golden shards
6/8 Green shards
4/8 Crimson shards
1/8 Red shards
3/8 Orange shards
2/8 Turquoise shards
3/8 Purple shards
4/8 Scarlet shards
1/8 White shards
1/8 Navy shards
1/8 Rainbow shards
0/8 Grey shards
0/8 Black shards

Robin64

Love how tense it gets towards the end of a song where you've been getting nothing but criticals and you just don't want to mess up. Just makes me more likely to mess up.

Got my first SSS though, on Terra's Theme Basic. Yeeeeah, Basic, but hoo-hah!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I just spent an hour typing in all the passwords found in this thread. I hate you all.

I've also been having a case of "being too good" for lower difficulties. I'm so used to the tempo of the higher modes that going back to Basic for completion's sake is making me nuts and urging me to commit dumb mistakes.
Do the songs in chaos shrine eventually go to challenge mode? Also, when does ultimate difficulty unlock?

EDIT: Just played this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrYaZIV7Z8c and holy crap! Now that is some orchestrated music!
FFXII's soundtrack is a good one, but people are so fixated on the fact that it's less melodic than previous titles that they don't really come to appreciate its clever use of leitmotif.

I've also been having a case of "being too good" for lower difficulties. I'm so used to the tempo of the higher modes that going back to Basic for completion's sake is making me nuts and urging me to commit dumb mistakes.

Happens with all rhythm games. Basic is really messing me up whenever I unlock a new song.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
lol same here. I was bare naked though so I know its possible. Some of the swipes don't register for me in the faster sets.
I don't know why, but my mobile browser shows my avatar on you, and you alone. It always freaks me out.

w90hS.jpg

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
My stats after fifteen hours:
Code:
Warrior of Light  35
Firion  35
Onion Knight  32
Cecil  32
Bartz  30
Terra  35
Cloud  35
Squall  30
Zidane  35
Tidus  30
Shantotto  31
Vaan  36
Lightning  30
[spoiler]Vivi[/spoiler]  10

Silver Shard  1/8
Yellow Shard  4/8
Crimson Shard  1/8
Indigo Shard  6/8
Turquoise Shard  2/8
Scarlet Shard  6/8
Why overpower your starter Pokeyman and make the rest of the journey easy as piss when you can have a balanced team of cock fighters?

Dang. The orchestrated version of Rose of May that plays in the Collections menu is GORGEOUS.

I'm sad that Rydia's theme isn't in the game though, hopefully will be a DLC title.

Chopper

Just received my pre-order from Amazon in the UK, complete with stylus and sticker collection. Unfortunately the case has been slightly damaged where the stylus has been pressing against it. :(

Will tuck into this as soon as I've finished Rhythm Thief. Can't wait.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I somehow scratched my touch screen playing this game D:

Game owns.

How are you guys playing this/holding the stylus?

I like to play at my desk with the 3DS plugged into my speakers.
As for holding the stylus, I've noticed that it is easier for me to hold it like a pencil but with my index finger on top of the stylus (I have the gripped one that came with pre-order). It makes doing the slide notes easier.

Is... is it bad that I TEARED UP during the Sudeki Da Ne epilogue bit? The text of Yuna's speech combined with the memories of the game and the music... It got me. It brought the whole game flooding back. Still my favourite FF... TT_TT

hamchan

Is... is it bad that I TEARED UP during the Sudeki Da Ne epilogue bit? The text of Yuna's speech combined with the memories of the game and the music... It got me. It brought the whole game flooding back. Still my favourite FF... TT_TT

Because of this game I went and watched the FFIX and FFX endings on YouTube again. Watery eyes ensued.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
FFXII's soundtrack is a good one, but people are so fixated on the fact that it's less melodic than previous titles that they don't really come to appreciate its clever use of leitmotif.

To be fair, it's difficult to appreciate theme or leitmotif in decontextualized 3 minute snippets :p

Westraid

I just spent an hour typing in all the passwords found in this thread. I hate you all.

I haven't played XII so the songs were new to me, but I am madly in love with the "Ending Movie" track. Every Dark Note with that song is an instant favourite.

McNum

Are there more ways to unlock new Dark Notes than just beating the one you have or via Streetpass?

They're getting pretty hard to beat...

rpmurphy

Are there more ways to unlock new Dark Notes than just beating the one you have or via Streetpass?

They're getting pretty hard to beat...

If Square-Enix were better at marketing this game, they could have organized StreetPass events like Nintendo did for DQIX. :(

Munkyspace

so is this game good or not. It seems a very nice game from those video.

If you're into FF and rhythm games, definitely.

If you're into rhythm games, it's pretty good.

I'd you're into FF, but not rhythm games (me) it's a serious trip down memory lane, so yes.

If you're not into either, cue up the reggiewhatswrongwithyou.gif.

Bumhead

Banned
I wonder if the potential success or failure of this game will influence future Final Fantasy titles on 3DS.

I'd absolutely love a new FF for the 3DS.

How does unlocking songs work in the game? I've just
reach over 10,000 rythmia and beaten Chaos to roll the credits and unlock a new song for Challenge mode. Will the game start unlocking new tracks now, and if so what are the conditions for unlocking new songs?

The game seems packed with content to me.

Teknoman

I haven't played XII so the songs were new to me, but I am madly in love with the "Ending Movie" track. Every Dark Note with that song is an instant favourite.

If you like that, you should check out Skycity of Bhujerba, the boss theme, Secret Practice, The Dalmasca Eastersand, Giza Plains, Land of the Garif, and A Moments Rest.

All great and all pretty memorable...no less than other FF titles for me anyway.

I wonder if the potential success or failure of this game will influence future Final Fantasy titles on 3DS.

I'd absolutely love a new FF for the 3DS.

How does unlocking songs work in the game? I've just
reach over 10,000 rythmia and beaten Chaos to roll the credits and unlock a new song for Challenge mode. Will the game start unlocking new tracks now, and if so what are the conditions for unlocking new songs?

The game seems packed with content to me.

Pretty sure it's every 5,000 Rhythmia after you reach 10,000.

EDIT: Ah, seems at 25,000 it's then at every 2,500 afterwards.

Finalow

If you're into FF and rhythm games, definitely.

If you're into rhythm games, it's pretty good.

I'd you're into FF, but not rhythm games (me) it's a serious trip down memory lane, so yes.

If you're not into either, cue up the reggiewhatswrongwithyou.gif.
my avatar says that I'm into FF.
but sounds good to me, I just need to buy a 3DS.

Midou

I noticed amazon.ca is sold out, is this game rarer or anything? Going to walmart today and thinking of picking it up. I've played every FF and love rhthm games, I'm just sketchy about swiping arrows at faster speeds, I would have prefered to be able to push the direction on the dpad..

Bumhead

Banned
Pretty sure it's every 5,000 Rhythmia after you reach 10,000.

EDIT: Ah, seems at 25,000 it's then at every 2,500 afterwards.

Ah OK, thanks. It's good to know that even though I've technically seen the credits roll there's still a ton of stuff still to do. I mean I've not even unlocked a single character yet so it's good to know the flow of unlockable songs remains steady and well balanced.

zroid

Banned
I noticed amazon.ca is sold out, is this game rarer or anything? Going to walmart today and thinking of picking it up. I've played every FF and love rhthm games, I'm just sketchy about swiping arrows at faster speeds, I would have prefered to be able to push the direction on the dpad..

From the sound of it, first shipments were pretty small. I'm sure they will send more though.

Those credits... those credits, too cute.

Also, I know Arranged music isn't so liked around here, but man a lot of this arranged menu music is so good.

Teknoman

Those credits... those credits, too cute.

Also, I know Arranged music isn't so liked around here, but man a lot of this arranged menu music is so good.

Not when they're good arrangements. The stuff from Origins/Dawn of Souls for example.

EDIT: Nice detail in Ronfaure, even spotted the Ghelsba Outpost and a normal outpost. Nice memories overall, since I could even hear all the sound effects from the opening cg in my mind lol. Shadowlord still looks pretty threatening, even in SD form.

There's only 4 different color Chocobos right?

Yellow, Black, Red, and White right? I've yet to see the White Chocobo in my game.

So I love going through Sunleth Waterscape on Ultimate difficulty thinking I got all critical and then it shows me that I got one great and it ruined my chance for a SSS. Of course I keep trying after that and I get worse and worse at the song because that one slight misstep on my first try frustrated me. I guess at the very least I'm getting plenty of items and Rhythmia by doing it over and over.

DeVeAn

Loving this game. By the way since most of the fans are here what is the best version of Final Fantasy VI? Been wanting to play it.

zroid

Banned
Loving this game. By the way since most of the fans are here what is the best version of Final Fantasy VI? Been wanting to play it.

From what I understand, that's actually a difficult question to answer, as none of them is definitive :/

Squeenix really needs to re-release that game on 3DS or Vita.

For everything besides the music, the GBA version. The GBA can't quite replicate the original score, but it's not that much of an issue IMO. But it has the most content, and it fixes a whack of glitches.

Since you've never played the SNES/PSX release, you'd have no nostalgia for the original translation, which some argue is better. I personally disagree.

These dark notes of mine really have a thing for Zanarkand and FF12 ending, still at least they keep overusing two great tracks so I don't mind so much.

Hmm I want to echo these sentiments, i've always had it on my to try list and this game is pushing me into finally diving in, i'll assume the VC version is a solid bet unless anyone states otherwise.

I'd say the GBA version as it's probably the easiest version to get a copy of. Stay clear of the PS1 version; its loading times will make you want to kill yourself.

EDIT: Oh it's on VC for the Wii, so you could also get that if you have a Wii.

TheExodu5

Banned
The GBA soundtrack isn't even close to the original in terms of quality. If you're going to play the GBA version, play the romhack with the patched music.

As for the definitive version...I'd say the SNES version is still the best. GBA version is fine with the audio patch, though the mode 7 emulation (chocobo riding, airship flying) sucks.

Top Bottom