• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy |OT| Yes, "One-Winged Angel" is in! Quit asking!

Finally got All Critical on FFIV Main Theme Expert

Such a relief, cause no way in hell I'll accomplish that on Ultimate

Q: How much Rhythmia do you get from a Stoic Bonus?

EDIT: Bartz: "A...An...As...Hey, this is all about donkeys!"
lol? >_>

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
To reiterate, I'm in love with Theatrhythm's upbeat rendition of Prelude.

hamchan

I'm finding it quite easy to get S and SS in Ultimate difficulty. Like Ouendan the real challenge is getting 100% Critical SSS I guess.

Y'know how our first lot of DLC matches the Japanese set? Well the second set of Japanese DLC includes a track from Final Fantasy Type-0. It'll be interesting to see whether we get that...

This will sound slightly random, but what position do people play this game in? I use to have the 3DS flat on a desk with me looking over it, but I've recently gone for a more sitting back and positioning the screen to face me position. Not sure which is best. I also find that I'm mostly using the right hand side of the touchscreen, which sometimes causes me to mess up right slides, but I always seem to move back to the right hand side no matter what I do lol

I used to have it flat on a table, but now I'm using the Kid Icarus stand and its pretty damn comfortable for me because of the angle its at and I don't have to hold it.

That might actually happen. I could see SE making a Kingdom Hearts version, too. I, however, would prefer the extremely unlikely Theatrhythm Nier.

Extremely unlikely? I don't know about that. The music has sold more than the game itself I believe. Surely Square Enix would think the fact that you could "play" the songs from the game would have everyone clamoring for it (at least in Japan). I don't know, you're probably right, I just am dreaming of what could be.

God dammit, now I'm sad knowing it is never going to happen :(

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Theatrhythm Nier is what dreams are made of.

McNum

Yay, unlocked my first character! It's Vivi. I take it he learns all the black magic?

It's gotten a bit easier to get shards after Cloud and Cecil hit level 40. Any boss has to deal with two boss slaying attacks on appearance now.

zroid

Banned
At this point any platform I'm okay with.

I still think a Vita version is coming at some point. Squeenix would be stupid to not release an already-made FF in the West. Even relative bombs like XIII-2 had to have at least been made more profitable by localizing them than not.

I don't think a Vita version would necessarily be on the way unless sales increase on the system. That said, they could easily just release a PSP version digitally and still have it playable on the Vita.

zroid

Banned
At this point in their respective lifespans, I think a Vita port probably has a better chance of selling well here than the original PSP version. A digital PSP release is a good idea but PSN has never been a particularly healthy platform, especially for relatively big releases like that. But, eh, you never know.

In any case, I'd be very surprised if the game doesn't make it over in some form.

Somnid

Vita port of Type-0 seems unlikely because then it's not localization, it's full blown development on a system with a significantly smaller user base than PSP and not growing very quickly. Unless SE Japan ports it to a healthier platform I feel we'll never see it.

disco

Such an incredible game. I am in love. Everything is so polished and addictive! The menu animations and jingles are just gorgeous!

Midou

Honestly (I'm probably gonna get hated for it) but I didn't like EBA at all. The gameplay is fine and the presentation and stories are funny and heartwarming, but the music. My god, the music is terrible (in my opinion of course). Just a random collection of terrible pop-songs. If a rhythm game has shit music it is not worth playing. That said, I've only played EBA. Is Ouendan better at all, or is it just Japanese pop instead of western pop?

This, so much this. In the Japanese version it's just songs that are okay but I don't know them, in the english one it's god awful music. Music is the most important part of a rhythm game, and having a large amount of FF music that I've grown up with makes Theatrhythm what it is.

McNum

Hmm, when I unlock all the characters, is there a reason to run Dark Notes anymore? Granted that's far away still, but I'm just wondering.

Hmm, when I unlock all the characters, is there a reason to run Dark Notes anymore? Granted that's far away still, but I'm just wondering.

Leveling up I suppose. I'm sure there are some items that you can only get in Dark Notes also, so those are worth grabbing.

Picked it up today.

Loving it.

Wish I didnt have to play through the Basic Mode of songs in the Series Mode to unlock the Challenges for every song. The basic modes are very easy. I wish I could just step up the difficulty right away.

Scrawnton

The hardest song on ultimate for me is "The man with the machine gun." I can do "one winged angel" on ultimate in my sleep but the ff8 BMS track just keeps getting me...

Somnid

I have to say the backgrounds in this game are so lazy. It's like they got 15 seconds worth and just looped them. EMS's are just random with no consistency (like maybe the main event and then a random clip show) and the FMS have like 2 landmarks that repeat. They also couldn't fit the prologue and epilogue to the length of the song?

lingiii

Banned
I have to say the backgrounds in this game are so lazy. It's like they got 15 seconds worth and just looped them. EMS's are just random with no consistency (like maybe the main event and then a random clip show) and the FMS have like 2 landmarks that repeat. They also couldn't fit the prologue and epilogue to the length of the song?

I don't mind the FMS so much, but the EMS are terrible. I was really hoping to get at least a passing primer on some of the games I've never played, but it's so haphazzard. The XIII one in particular is ridiculous: that whole scene
with the motorcyle things and the festival
was a none-sense non-sequitor anyway, but it's featured all over EMS. I love in the old games how they have battle scenes, too, but they drop that before the 3D games.

Weird all around.

B.K.

I picked up the game today. It was the last copy at Gamestop, so I got a gutted copy. I did get the stylus and character stickers though.

I suck at the game. Even on the easiest settings. During the story sequence in Final Fantasy, I did so bad I got a C in it. I wish they would have used the English versions of the games during the story sequences, even if it meant they had to delay it, but I guess it doesn't matter after VI. I assume they just use CG sequences from VII to XIII.

McNum

By then I imagine you'll be sick of them anyway :p
Yeah, probably. I'm kind of seeing this as a game where I grind to unlock everything... and then never use it.

I do want to unlock Aerith, see what she can do. I don't really have a white mage style character yet. Then again, as long as I keep hitting the notes, then a white mage isn't needed.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I suck at the game. Even on the easiest settings. During the story sequence in Final Fantasy, I did so bad I got a C in it. I wish they would have used the English versions of the games during the story sequences, even if it meant they had to delay it, but I guess it doesn't matter after VI. I assume they just use CG sequences from VII to XIII.

I found I did worst on the event mode (the story sequences) at first. It's a lot harder to follow because it's a bit visually busy, and some of the songs actually have variations in tempo (Celes' Theme is an offender) which really throw you off.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I found I did worst on the event mode (the story sequences) at first. It's a lot harder to follow because it's a bit visually busy, and some of the songs actually have variations in tempo (Celes' Theme is an offender) which really throw you off.

Honestly, I think it's because half the time, I have no idea how my flicks and presses relate to the song at all. The battle and field themes have punchy percussion which makes finding the beat easier. A lot of the event songs are sweeping arrangements with a lot of strings, which makes it difficult to find a noticeable beat.

zroid

Banned
God, the EMS tempo variations are brutal. I've rarely done well on an EMS on my first try. After you know what to expect, they're much easier.

massoluk

Banned
The hardest song on ultimate for me is "The man with the machine gun." I can do "one winged angel" on ultimate in my sleep but the ff8 BMS track just keeps getting me...

I keep stumbling on "The Man with the Machine Gun" too, what a sadistic track.
I don't think I'll never ever get perfect ranking in this game, The flicking things always throw me off a bit, I could never nail them 100% in a song.
I wish there's a game like this with nothing but the Battle Music and RPG elements. The OP and ED songs are wasted.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sometimes I need to turn the sound down when I play some of the harder tracks. Sometimes when I listen to music, I gravitate to one instrument or sound and start paying attention to what that instrument is doing. Theatrhythm seems kind of wonky because it goes with the lead synth but sometimes switches to the beat, or it goes with the lead synth the entire way in a BGM where I typically pay attention to the percussion, etc. I've noticed when I turn the volume down, I do much better in some of them.

A BGM like Fight with Seymour is especially bad for me because I always, always pay attention to the percussion in that one no matter what I'm doing. :/

If I download songs, can I transfer them to another system via the system transfer process? I'm going to be upgrading to a 3DS XL at the end of the month, and I'm wondering if I can buy songs now, if I need to wait.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Sometimes I need to turn the sound down when I play some of the harder tracks. Sometimes when I listen to music, I gravitate to one instrument or sound and start paying attention to what that instrument is doing. Theatrhythm seems kind of wonky because it goes with the lead synth but sometimes switches to the best, or it goes with the lead synth the entire way in a BGM where I typically pay attention to the percussion, etc. I've noticed when I turn the volume down, I do much better in some of them.

I have noticed this as well. At first I thought it was the chime noise, but it's definitely that the notes don't always follow the same instrument

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I have noticed this as well. At first I thought it was the chime noise, but it's definitely that the notes don't always follow the same instrument
Prior to playing the game, I figured that the different difficulties would switch it up in terms of the instrument being followed, but now that I've played it, I've noticed that it simply does whatever it wants with little consistency. I have to admit that I'm a little disappointed with that.

When you go into the Chaos Shrine and on Ultimate difficulties, they seem to want you to play the ensemble as opposed to an instrument with some sort of flow and consistency. It kind of makes sense since it's supposed to be harder, but when you're trying to pay attention to the music to hit the beats whenever they show up, they don't line up with what you hear--rather they pick and choose instruments to follow every time just to take difficulty into account. As a result, it just feels kind of messy.

Percussion is a harder thing to follow because it's faster, so if you're going with something like that in Fight with Seymour, for example, it's probably best to go with that in terms of design for a higher difficulty. Or you don't even have to play the same portion--the quick synth organ portion which the game cuts off at would be better-suited for higher difficulties given how fast and chaotic it is. The later FF games are where you can play around with this so much because the loops aren't as short and they have more varying sections.

Or following the backing synth in Man with the Machine Gun would be good for an Expert or Ultimate difficulty.

The inconsistency between instrumentation and beat patterns throw me off a lot, and it's sort of starting to bug me now.

Edit: Something to put forth, but perhaps it's because I've had so much prior exposure to the music in terms of being a listener and also through playing some of the music myself that I'm feeling this way? I haven't seen it brought up a lot, so it might be me being picky.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well despite considering Beat the Beat first I've decided to get this as well thanks to CAG. Looking forward to it.

MrDaravon

Man is Kain super hard to unlock for no particular reason? I've only got 4 characters left to unlock and on the other 3 I'm at 5-6 shards each. I haven't seen a SINGLE Navy shard drop. And I'm doing all high level Dark Notes. The hell?

Honestly (I'm probably gonna get hated for it) but I didn't like EBA at all. The gameplay is fine and the presentation and stories are funny and heartwarming, but the music. My god, the music is terrible (in my opinion of course). Just a random collection of terrible pop-songs. If a rhythm game has shit music it is not worth playing. That said, I've only played EBA. Is Ouendan better at all, or is it just Japanese pop instead of western pop?
I think there was enough good songs to make up for the duds, plus since they are all covers, some of them were like completely new songs. But it's not the tracklist itself that makes EBA so great, it's the gameplay and characters/story.

Ouendan & Ouendan 2 do have better tracks though, but the first Ouendan is missing a lot of the conveniences the later games provided. (It's still amazing though.) Ouendan 2 is perfection incarnate.

Man is Kain super hard to unlock for no particular reason? I've only got 4 characters left to unlock and on the other 3 I'm at 5-6 shards each. I haven't seen a SINGLE Navy shard drop. And I'm doing all high level Dark Notes. The hell?
FYI: People hunting for certain shards & items, use Libra.

When you use characters with the Libra spell equipped and you clear a new Dark Note, the new note you unlock will have some of its boss drops listed.

The level of the spell dictates have many items it reveals. (Lv. 1 = 1, Lv. 2 = 2 & Lv. 3 = 3) And what's even better is that the spells stack, so it's possible to reveal almost the entire drop list from one note.

Cid is the only character that learns Libra Lv. 3 (at level 15), and only Locke learns Libra Lv. 2 (at level 30). Aerith, Lightning, Prishe & Faris all learn Libra Lv. 1. (At levels, 20, 20, 55, & 60 respectively.)

I have a "Libra Team" I use for every new note consisting of Cid, Locke, Aerith & Lightning. Now when I clear a new note, the next one will have 7 of its 9 items drops already revealed. And if I don't like the drops, I just delete the note and try again. This saves a lot of time, I only wish I had known about it sooner.

lingiii

Banned
I think there was enough good songs to make up for the duds, plus since they are all covers, some of them were like completely new songs. But it's not the tracklist itself that makes EBA so great, it's the gameplay and characters/story.

Ouendan & Ouendan 2 do have better tracks though, but the first Ouendan is missing a lot of the conveniences the later games provided. (It's still amazing though.) Ouendan 2 is perfection incarnate.

When you use characters with the Libra spell equipped and you clear a new Dark Note, the new note you unlock will have some of its boss drops listed.

The level of the spell dictates have many items it reveals. (Lv. 1 = 1, Lv. 2 = 2 & Lv. 3 = 3) And what's even better is that the spells stack, so it's possible to reveal almost the entire drop list from one note.

Cid is the only character that learns Libra Lv. 3 (at level 15), and only Locke learns Libra Lv. 2 (at level 30). Aerith, Lightning, Prish & Faris all learn Libra Lv. 1. (At levels, 20, 20, 55, & 60 respectively.)

I have a "Libra Team" I use for every new note consisting of Cid, Locke, Aerith & Lightning. Now when I clear a new note, the next one will have 7 of its 9 items drops already revealed. And if I don't like the drops, I just delete the note and try again. This saves a lot of time, I only wish I had known about it sooner.

Thanks for the pro-ass tip. I'm just about to get serious with unlocks and I was worried about how to approach. I'll focus on Cid first cuz I already know where his crystals are, then give him an EXP Hound Scroll and crank it.

I can get EXP Hound scrolls from the first boss of my own first Dark Note; if anyone wants one I don't think they're too rare, just get a first boss on purpose.

MrDaravon

Cid is the only character that learns Libra Lv. 3 (at level 15), and only Locke learns Libra Lv. 2 (at level 30). Aerith, Lightning, Prish & Faris all learn Libra Lv. 1. (At levels, 20, 20, 55, & 60 respectively.)

Oh that's rad, I didn't know or think about Libra stacking, I'll give that a go thanks!

Top Bottom