• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy |OT| Yes, "One-Winged Angel" is in! Quit asking!

I'm interested in buying this game, but am currently playing through as many of the FF games that I can because I only lately have gained access to any of the playstation systems. However I have always been interested in the music, and know most of the tracks that are in this game.

I do want to avoid as many spoilers as I can for the series because I would rather experience them within the actual game. Can anybody tell me how apparent any spoilers are within the game, if there are any? It doesn't matter if there are images, such as boss fights and what not, I just don't really want to know their relations to any of the main plot lines.

Massive spoilers, I'm afraid.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Can anybody tell me how apparent any spoilers are within the game, if there are any? It doesn't matter if there are images, such as boss fights and what not, I just don't really want to know their relations to any of the main plot lines.

There are big spoilers for all games. Every game has one song that has a video running in the background that shows a summary of that game including important cutscenes and final boss fights.

Westraid

I'm interested in buying this game, but am currently playing through as many of the FF games that I can because I only lately have gained access to any of the playstation systems. However I have always been interested in the music, and know most of the tracks that are in this game.

I do want to avoid as many spoilers as I can for the series because I would rather experience them within the actual game. Can anybody tell me how apparent any spoilers are within the game, if there are any? It doesn't matter if there are images, such as boss fights and what not, I just don't really want to know their relations to any of the main plot lines.
This might be just me, as I've never played rhythm games before and thus need focus really well on the notes as they pass by, but it just went all past me. I've never played XII, but I did play the XII sequence in Theatrhythm, including the event sequence that shows footage from the game, but I still have no clue what the hell is going on.

The OP and ED have some text, but in general I find them way too vague and you can always choose to focus on the crystal and easily avoid reading the text.

Got a few Perfect Chains on some Ultimate Scores:

Fight With Seymour (7 Greats/1 Good)
http://youtu.be/TrwbpP5UtXY?hd=1

The Man with the Machine Gun (4 Greats/1 Good)
http://youtu.be/ay0dFySrQVY?hd=1

Dancing Mad (20 Greats/3 Goods..gotta work on that Great count, lol)
http://youtu.be/tgzThMp8AXc?hd=1

Quick video showing I got SSS on all Basic Series Courses:
http://youtu.be/lTp3LIhYpvU?hd=1

And a picture of an SSS on Mt. Gulg:
photo223.jpg

Can't....stop...playing....

Nymerio

lol at the rotating notes. Brings the difficulty to another level...

Also: Got my first to characters to 99, I think after the other guys level I'm gonna switch in some low level members.

Teknoman

Why are all the songs in Chaos Shrine just the same handful of songs over and over again? And how do I unlock some of the songs in challenge mode? Like "Something To Protect" from FF9 is the best song ever, but I need to play a shitty song from FF3 before I can play it? :(

As long as you arent talking about the battle themes or eternal wind.

Bururian

lol at the rotating notes. Brings the difficulty to another level...

Also: Got my first to characters to 99, I think after the other guys level I'm gonna switch in some low level members.

Doing that now. Leader at 99 with Lv3 EXP Up, three level ones, every BMS, I get between 3-5 levels.

Nymerio

Items are one time use only right? So you need a few of these EXP up things? I'll have to look through my inventory, I'm sure I have something lying around (Have not used a single item yet).

I'll start leveling the new party on ultimate difficulty, I guess these 90+ dark notes should ease me into that quite nicely.

Do the rotating notes only appear in the Dark Notes or will they appear on ultimate too?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I was so so so so sad this wasn't in the game proper. That's one of my favourite boss themes in the series. Oh, I hope it doesn't cut off at my favourite part.

Damn, now that means there are 2 DLCs I want. :|

The directional note, a single note, the arrow will rotate as it comes across the screen, locking in place only immediately before it is to be played.
Oh man, those are crazy. They have driven me bonkers sometimes.

Bururian

Items are one time use only right? So you need a few of these EXP up things?

the EXP items usually, except for the Miratete's Memoirs, will teach the leader of the party the EXP up skill, so you can continually use it. Otherwise it'd take forever to get more characters leveled up.

1337Sauce

Alright thanks for the responses guys. I know the plots of 7 and 13, because those are the two that I have finished so far, but I'll probably just end up playing the other major FF games before I pick this up. Even though I know that I will probably be focusing on the notes, I just like to save any type of important scenes/information for the actual game, especially since I have always been intrigued by the series.

Hopefully I can resist the lure

*never played Final Fantasy VIII*
*plays Waltz for the Moon at least 8 times*

What an awesome track. A few of those times were trying to nail Ultimate mode but this game doesn't like my swipes sometimes. :-/

Bururian

*never played Final Fantasy VIII*
*plays Waltz for the Moon at least 8 times*

What an awesome track. A few of those times were trying to nail Ultimate mode but this game doesn't like my swipes sometimes. :-/

Can't wait for 'Force your Way' to eventually make it into the DLC shop.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Thank GOD!

So I ended up buying a comfort grip and a DSi stylus for use with this friggin game.

Night and day! Some songs I've gotten better at while others I've gotten worse at. However, I think the songs I scored worse on I just need to get into the groove again. What's great is that the stylus and grip don't hurt my wrists, so I can likely play better for longer periods of time. The DSi stylus I got is a lot thicker, so it's easier to grip and longer so I don't have to move so much doing those fucking slides.

Love Amazon! I ordered on a Saturday, I believe. I got the package on Monday with free shipping too!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It took me forever to realize Waltz for the Moon was just an arrangement of Eyes on Me.
Haha, yeah. It makes sense since most of the Rinoa/Squall-central themes on that soundtrack is an arrangement of Eyes On Me. Waltz for the Moon, My Mind, Julia, Love Grows... Waltz just isn't super-obvious about it like the others.

Uematsu made a point to make Eyes on Me one of the central focuses on the soundtrack outside of the main theme since Squall and Rinoa were the main characters of the game, and the other characters just took a step back in terms of the musical themes.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm S or higher, mostly SS on every non-battle Ultimate song. And I can't pass a single Battls song in ultimate. Guess I'll have to rig up a cure team to cheese my way through em

Bururian

Playing Dark Notes exclusively for a few days, going back to basic for SSS ranks is insanely easy. and not even a few days before that, I was having some trouble with Basic.

DeVeAn

I'm S or higher, mostly SS on every non-battle Ultimate song. And I can't pass a single Battls song in ultimate. Guess I'll have to rig up a cure team to cheese my way through em
I made it by the skin of my teeth on ultimate one winged angel. My heart was beating so fast near the end. Wow. I felt accomplished lol.

Does anyone else consistently do awful on EMS stages? I find it really hard to get criticals. Also are there any tips for getting better at the slashes, those mess me up more than anything.

Does anyone else consistently do awful on EMS stages? I find it really hard to get criticals. Also are there any tips for getting better at the slashes, those mess me up more than anything.

I can't stand the EMS stages. When I was going for SSS in the Basic Courses, that would always give me trouble. Whether its lag, the BPM changes or whatever, it really frustrated me.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I can't stand the EMS stages. When I was going for SSS in the Basic Courses, that would always give me trouble. Whether its lag, the BPM changes or whatever, it really frustrated me.

They're tough...I think I had to rely more on knowing the song than just relying on reflexes. Try to really time it to the music and you'll have better results. I HATE sliding on these stages.

Jintor

Haha, yeah. It makes sense since most of the Rinoa/Squall-central themes on that soundtrack is an arrangement of Eyes On Me. Waltz for the Moon, My Mind, Julia, Love Grows... Waltz just isn't super-obvious about it like the others.

Are you kidding me lol

The only difference is that it's in 3/4 and all... waltzy.

Can't wait for 'Force your Way' to eventually make it into the DLC shop.

Give it to me nao

I was struggling but then had a breakthrough earlier and passed the first two battle songs on ultimate. They give a lot of exp so I went back and equipped some item that said it vastly increased the amount of exp gained. Passed the first battle song on ultimate again and it gave me around 17k exp. I got many levels from that.

Thoraxes

Japan's getting 4 more tracks on July 11th bringing the total up to 52; wonder if this will be the last pack or not (they said initially at least 50 tracks).

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/07/0...inal-fantasy-xi-players-back-to-sarutabaruta/

Final Fantasy X - Final/Decisive Battle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjhXqgB1TMo

Final Fantasy XI - Sarutabaruta

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wuvJ9wlZwA

Final Fantasy XII - Boss Battle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-AwbsQi-nk

Final Fantasy XIII - Desperate Struggle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUelR8WPhuo

Fuck I need the FFX track. Gimme dat Hamauzu goodness.

rpmurphy

How does one access the DLC in the US? The eshop doesn't list the game when you search it's name.
The game is in the eShop, although strangely, you have to search for it ("Theatrhythm" worked for me). The DLC list is there under "Add-On Content Information", but it will just boot the game if you want to buy any of them.

Ryn

This makes me want to go back and restart/beat V and XII. Those are the only two I haven't completed (aside from XI). Awesome music all around. This game is MUCH more fun than I expected.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Are you kidding me lol

The only difference is that it's in 3/4 and all... waltzy.
The waltziness probably makes it sound different to people with the time signature and flourishes. It's pretty obvious to keen ears that it's part of the Eyes On Me theme set, though, because it involves two of the key figures to which that theme refers.

So Defiers of Fate. What the hell is up with that song?

When I played FFXIII, I thought it was two different songs.
It just transitions into the Blinded By Light/Lightning's Theme motif.

Parts of it was also used in three separate BGMs, of course (but they aren't that different other than the second one looping the melody of the first, and the third having a similar different introduction, but just transitions into Blinded by Light)
Defiers of Fate (plays during the opening of FFXIII)
Defiers of Fate - Palamecia Assault Version (this is the one that loops during Chapter 9)
Final Fantasy XIII E3 2006 Trailer (with the demo theme "Flash" on a SE compilation CD - transitions into Blinded by Light instead of the Fate version)

Bururian

There has got to be an easier way to unlock songs in this game. 10+ hours and only two songs unlocked. :/

Well, at 21 hours, I have seven unlocked excluding DLC. Just keep playing and do well for those chain bonuses and rank bonuses. playing series and completing a game. The Openings and closings can net you 300rm alone outside of the actual songs.

Top Bottom