• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy |OT| Yes, "One-Winged Angel" is in! Quit asking!

Random thought but if I were to bin the current new dark note of mine would it get replaced with a new dark note? replaced after replaying an old dark note? or simply not replaced at all leaving the fate of my dark note earning future in the hands of streetpass that wont come to pass?

If you replay whichever Dark Note is in the number 1 slot then you'll unlock a new Dark Note.

Bururian

During one Dark Note, I somehow managed to fight Boss 3, then Boss 2, then Boss 1 all in one go. I dunno how that happened.

I think once you've beaten the boss, the cycle will repeat, and if you don't do as good on the second or third cycle, you will get a lower boss. I don't know how true that is, but on my first note with a number of 5 (Average level at unlock) I went through with 4 99's all with enhanced strength abilities, and killed boss 3, three times. netting myself a ton of items and three shards of the same color.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I think once you've beaten the boss, the cycle will repeat, and if you don't do as good on the second or third cycle, you will get a lower boss. I don't know how true that is, but on my first note with a number of 5 (Average level at unlock) I went through with 4 99's all with enhanced strength abilities, and killed boss 3, three times. netting myself a ton of items and three shards of the same color.

Oh yeah, I've done the kill Boss 3 three times thing plenty of times, long before I had my team of 99s. You just need the right track with a lot of one type of note, the corresponding magic to trigger off said note type, and at least 2 boss targeting skills.

Bururian

Oh yeah, I've done the kill Boss 3 three times thing plenty of times, long before I had my team of 99s. You just need the right track with a lot of one type of note, the corresponding magic to trigger off said note type, and at least 2 boss targeting skills.

I love boss targeting skills. They are the best.

Had to go buy some new styluses today. my 3DS stylus is getting strained at this game and is far too small for my hand to be enjoyable for extended play. I found some really nice ones that are the size of a regular pen, and it has been making me play even longer than usual.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I've come to the conclusion that you need to be a robot to beat any of the BMS songs on Ultimate Score. Nobody can convince me otherwise. As for all these screengrabs pictures masking themselves as 'proof': They are simply doctored. This is the most logical explanation I can come too. No human hand can move that fast.

Bisonian

Hi! I'm at best buy thinking of picking up two copies of this game for co op.....would you say it's worth it?

Thanks!

Co-op is kind of a novelty. It only works in one game mode, and only one of your characters can get experience at a time so it feels like you are being penalized some. It's fun enough to play, but if you and the person you are playing with are at different levels of skill then it's hard to find a happy medium. I certainly wouldn't buy it for co-op, but it's a nice little bonus on the side.

Bururian

I've come to the conclusion that you need to be a robot to beat any of the BMS songs on Ultimate Score. Nobody can convince me otherwise. As for all these screengrabs pictures masking themselves as 'proof': They are simply doctored. This is the most logical explanation I can come too. No human hand can move that fast.

I can convince you I'm a robot, I've finished a few series on Ultimate with S ranks so far.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Splitting my time between this and Rhythm Thief now. Rhythm Thief is a little more relaxing than Theatrhythm, so it's a nice balance.

So much Rhythm gameplay. :O

Bururian said:
Maybe not really a problem, but I never/ever get boss one or two. Always Boss 3 for me. It's annoying because I have to purposefully do badly to get them.
Oh, that's how you get Boss 1? I usually keep Zidane in my party for FMS, so maybe I should kick him out to get Boss 1 from now on. I intentionally fail the BMS to rearrange my party into a battle party. >.>

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I can convince you I'm a robot, I've finished a few series on Ultimate with S ranks so far.

You must of skipped the BMS songs or something then. :p

Seriously though, the only Ultimate BMS I can come close to finishing (so far) is FF1's. :/

rpmurphy

Which is better, having more spells but them being of lower strength, or only having one Full Strength spell? You can only have 50 CP right?

rpmurphy

From my experience, it's all about the strength abilities.
Yeah, that's what I thought. I would like to have Terra be able to do more than one full-strength spell, but that comes at a cost of not being able to equip Trance. I might still want to try medium though if Full Strength is not double the power.

Bumhead

Banned
Orange shards. Where are you?

What happens with regard to the items boss characters drop? Is there a specific way to get them to drop new items? For example, if I've beaten a boss once for a red shard, but his other items are still listed as "??????", if I fight that boss again, will I just continually receive that red shard, or is there a chance he will drop new shards to replace the question marks? Is finding new shards just a case of grinding the same bosses to find out everything they're carrying?

Bururian

Orange shards. Where are you?

What happens with regard to the items boss characters drop? Is there a specific way to get them to drop new items? For example, if I've beaten a boss once for a red shard, but his other items are still listed as "??????", if I fight that boss again, will I just continually receive that red shard, or is there a chance he will drop new shards to replace the question marks? Is finding new shards just a case of grinding the same bosses to find out everything they're carrying?

if you still have ???? for boss item drops, he still has things you haven't seen yet.
If like any other RPG, the lower it is on the list, the rarer the drop. Top item dropped most, bottom item dropped least.

rpmurphy

if you still have ???? for boss item drops, he still has things you haven't seen yet.
If like any other RPG, the lower it is on the list, the rarer the drop. Top item dropped most, bottom item dropped least.
Yesterday I got a Shuriken drop from Boss 3 that was the bottom slot. Super disappointed. :[

Bumhead

Banned
So it's a case of replaying those boss battles until they've dropped everything they have available? Gotcha.

That's just added a ton of extra replay value to how I'm playing this game..

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Yeah, that's what I thought. I would like to have Terra be able to do more than one full-strength spell, but that comes at a cost of not being able to equip Trance. I might still want to try medium though if Full Strength is not double the power.

I don't think it's possible to have her get more than 1 full strength and Trance, just not enough CP when she hits 99.

If anything, just tailor the full-strength spell to whatever battle track you're planning on doing - if there's a ton of hold notes in it, for example, go with the spell that triggers off of that.

I'm ont gonna like waiting a week or two between DLC updates. I want more songs now. :(

They've confirmed Europe's second DLC set is coming this week, at least our updates are weekly.

On an unrelated note, what happens if you get a shard for a character you've already unlocked? Or can you not get the shards after getting the character.

rpmurphy

So it's a case of replaying those boss battles until they've dropped everything they have available? Gotcha.

Others have explained earlier about the drops (link); you don't have to grind notes like that to reveal boss drops on Dark Notes.

I don't think it's possible to have her get more than 1 full strength and Trance, just not enough CP when she hits 99.

If anything, just tailor the full-strength spell to whatever battle track you're planning on doing - if there's a ton of hold notes in it, for example, go with the spell that triggers off of that.
It's kind of a pain to go equip stuff though with all the menu hopping. It would have been nice if that was snappier.

Bururian

I've not run into most of the first or second bosses in my dark notes. In fact, never hit a first boss, have a could of second bosses now. I have all the thirds.

rpmurphy

I've not run into most of the first or second bosses in my dark notes. In fact, never hit a first boss, have a could of second bosses now. I have all the thirds.
I'm currently doing WoL as lead with Strength Up 3 so his agility is way low and can get to Boss 1 easily. :p

B.K.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but how do you unlock the non-DLC unlockable songs? Do you just increase Rhythmia?

Scoop-Li

How is Final Fantasy 8's battle theme (Don't Be Afraid) not in this game? Hopefully, like Force Your Way, it's added as DLC. It has to be. Seems like a glaring omission to me. Crosses fingers...

Boogiepop

Man, got a version of "Man With the Machine Gun" in dark notes that was mostly looooooooooong slide notes. I hardly had a chance to do damage and I didn't even get to hit the boss. Lame. :(

BooJoh

Man, got a version of "Man With the Machine Gun" in dark notes that was mostly looooooooooong slide notes. I hardly had a chance to do damage and I didn't even get to hit the boss. Lame. :(

Some of the level 40 abilities are really useful for this. My current team is WoL, Onion Knight, Tidus, and Cloud, and when a boss appears it immediately gets hit with
Ninjutsu, Blitz Ace, and Omnislash
and I only need a couple more notes to take them down, if that. Doesn't really help if the boss shows up late though, but I've had some close calls where I beat a boss after I've already hit the last note.

linko9

I broke down and got this game, and it is now by far my favorite game on the 3DS. Excellent game, it really is a nostalgia overload. For now I've just got one major question, I'm sure it's been answered but I don't have time to go through the whole thread (got to get back to playing.)

Can you play the additional songs from each game (e.g. Mambo de Chocobo, Jenova) in Challenge mode somehow, or is the only way to play them in the Chaos Shrine? Thanks in advance!

Also, LOVE THAT STYLUS.

Munkyspace

I broke down and got this game, and it is now by far my favorite game on the 3DS. Excellent game, it really is a nostalgia overload. For now I've just got one major question, I'm sure it's been answered but I don't have time to go through the whole thread (got to get back to playing.)

Can you play the additional songs from each game (e.g. Mambo de Chocobo, Jenova) in Challenge mode somehow, or is the only way to play them in the Chaos Shrine? Thanks in advance!

Also, LOVE THAT STYLUS.

To answer the bolded, you unlock Dark Note tracks to be playable in Challenge mode by accumulating Rhythmia.

Munkyspace

Great to hear, guess it just takes a lot.

Yeah, this game has unlocks galore. I think rm caps at 99,999 (or so I read in here) and there are random unlocks throughout. I'm at 78k or so myself and I'm still unlocking stuff. Hell, I'm still missing four or five characters.

Beth Cyra

How is Final Fantasy 8's battle theme (Don't Be Afraid) not in this game? Hopefully, like Force Your Way, it's added as DLC. It has to be. Seems like a glaring omission to me. Crosses fingers...

As much as I like Don't Be Afarid it was pretty low on the list for DLC for me.

The Oath
Maybe I'm a Lion
The Extreme

Are all tracks I was like WTF when I finished the VIII section.

Munkyspace

If I were to have two like buffs on that both have a multiplier (i.e. Strength Up level 2 and Strength Up level 3), do those multipliers stack, y'think? Or is it just the higher of the two.

I'm trying to schlep through FFXI-XIII in series on Expert, and I'm having a bitch of a time caring. At least my team is at about 67-70 and I have most everything else done on Expert.

Boogiepop

Beat all the first game's songs on Ultimate! The battle theme took some doing, but I made it through.

New, weird question. I somehow got over 9000 EXP for beating the battle component of a Dark Note, by FAR the most EXP anything has given me thus far. I haven't used any items thus far, so it couldn't have been that. I tried going through it again, and I only got about 2000, though the boss was a goblin instead of a green dragon (though I didn't beat the dragon, but I did beat the goblin). Any idea why I got so many experience points out of nowhere?

Also, is there any way to get Bahamut to appear other than using his Magicite? I keep hoping he's just really, really rare, but he has yet to pop up.

Munkyspace

Beat all the first game's songs on Ultimate! The battle theme took some doing, but I made it through.

New, weird question. I somehow got over 9000 EXP for beating the battle component of a Dark Note, by FAR the most EXP anything has given me thus far. I haven't used any items thus far, so it couldn't have been that. I tried going through it again, and I only got about 2000, though the boss was a goblin instead of a green dragon (though I didn't beat the dragon, but I did beat the goblin). Any idea why I got so many experience points out of nowhere?

Also, is there any way to get Bahamut to appear other than using his Magicite? I keep hoping he's just really, really rare, but he has yet to pop up.

The only time I've seen Bahamut is when I equipped his magicite, and I've been playing a hell of a lot. Think it might just be on equip.

As for the exp conundrum, based on what I've seen, the exp you gain in a BMS has a direct link with what you kill during the stage, with higher difficulties granting more exp. If you're tearing through baddies and bosses with a mid/high level team, you should accrue more exp. Again, just based in what I've seen, so maybe someone has better insight on it..

Man, every single BMS has kicked my ass on ultimate at least once. Had to even use an X-potion for Battle at the Big Bridge. I'm thinking SSSing everything might be out of my reach.

Pangya

The first time through you might have passed the "Boss 2 or 3" sign whereas the second time you may have not passed it, allowing you to only face Boss 1. I have a similar dark note. Whenever I don't pass that sign, the first boss BMS gives me around 2.5k exp. However, if I pass the sign in FMS, the BMS instead gives me around 12-16k depending on how many enemies I defeat.

Top Bottom