• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy |OT| Yes, "One-Winged Angel" is in! Quit asking!

How do you unlock new songs/characters? I've played four hours already and haven't unlocked anything :/

First song at 10,000 Rhythmia, and then every 5,000 after that until 25,000 when it becomes every 2,500.

Characters you get for collecting 8 of the same coloured shards, of which you can find through the Chaos Shrine or through collecting Rhythmia.

aett

I wanted to post in this thread to complain about the DLC being every two weeks, so I'm very pleasantly surprised to see that it going to be weekly in the US. Too bad they moved Archylte Steep two weeks down, though, that was the only one in this first batch that I was looking forward to. I'm excited for the FFVII boss theme next week, though.

I unlocked Aerith and Yuna this morning before work. Only nine more characters to go...

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
This is the three week schedule for Theatrhythm DLC in North America.

Thursday, July 12, 2012
FINAL FANTASY VERSUS XIII “Somnus”
FINAL FANTASY XIII “Desperate Struggle”
FINAL FANTASY XI “Sarutabaruta”
FINAL FANTASY VI “Battle”

Thursday, July 19, 2012
FINAL FANTASY VII “Fight On!”
FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 “Etro’s Champion”
FINAL FANTASY XI “Battle Theme”
FINAL FANTASY III “Battle 1″

Thursday, July 26, 2012
FINAL FANTASY X “A Contest of Aeons”
FINAL FANTASY XIII “The Archylte Steppe”
FINAL FANTASY XI “The Sanctuary of Zi’Tah”
FINAL FANTASY III “Crystal Cave”

Where the hell is FINAL FANTASY X "Movement in Green"?!?!?!? :/

Buying today:

First song at 10,000 Rhythmia, and then every 5,000 after that until 25,000 when it becomes every 2,500.

Characters you get for collecting 8 of the same coloured shards, of which you can find through the Chaos Shrine or through collecting Rhythmia.

Well, guess I won't be unlocking much lol. I'm at 9,000 Rhythmia after four hours, either I suck horribly or it really takes that long.

How do I get dark notes for the Chaos Shrine, I only got three so far, are they random?

How do I get dark notes for the Chaos Shrine, I only got three so far, are they random?

You get more Dark Notes by beating the Dark Note in the top slot of the list. The No. on the Dark Note which is sorta like a difficulty level is the average level of your party when you got the note. The Mv. is a random number which tells you what songs are in the note.

Well, guess I won't be unlocking much lol. I'm at 9,000 Rhythmia after four hours, either I suck horribly or it really takes that long.

I only reached 25,000 today and I got it a week ago. It does take a long time so just do what I did and don't play it for the sole purpose of unlocking songs otherwise it will feel like a chore. Though I am glad I finally only need to get 2,500 from now on to unlock songs lol

I got my first dark note during the main series mode (I think? Can't remember) and then I get a new one after completing one I already have. So just keep completing them and you should get more. I think that's how it works.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I only reached 25,000 today and I got it a week ago. It does take a long time so just do what I did and don't play it for the sole purpose of unlocking songs otherwise it will feel like a chore. Though I am glad I finally only need to get 2,500 from now on to unlock songs lol
Yeah, took me 20 hours or so to get around 30k. All I've been doing is playing through all of Series, then every track in Challenge on Expert, then a bunch of Dark Notes to unlock guys. Still need to get through the Challenge tracks on Ultimate (aside from the FF1 tracks which I did just to see how hard Ultimate was) then the Series stuff on Expert/Ultimate.

zroid

Banned
Thanks. I don't think there's much urgency to get the links posted for the following weeks' DLC, but it'll definitely be updated before they're released.

I've added gameplay links for this week's songs for both territories, with the exception of FFV Final Battle, which I can't find at all. :(

Chairhome

Thanks. I don't think there's much urgency to get the links posted for the following weeks' DLC, but it'll definitely be updated before they're released.

I've added gameplay links for this week's songs for both territories, with the exception of FFV, which I can't find at all. :(

cool stuff man, your search skills are superior to mine!

Roto13

I only have enough money in my 3DS wallet for MSF tomorrow and one song. Can't decide between Desperate Struggle and Battle.

I ordered from Amazon a week ago and got it with the gripped stylus and stickers. A longer stylus is definitely the way to go with this game; it's so much fun, even if you haven't finished all the mainline Final Fantasy games. Floods of nostalgia everywhere and chaotically wonderful gameplay with the higher difficulty challenges. Plus, it's just adorable. Very impressed. Then again, I knew indieszero was full of talent from my past experiences with the GameCenter CX games. I didn't think this would be so addictive. Wondering about the DLC now...

You get more Dark Notes by beating the Dark Note in the top slot of the list. The No. on the Dark Note which is sorta like a difficulty level is the average level of your party when you got the note. The Mv. is a random number which tells you what songs are in the note.

I got my first dark note during the main series mode (I think? Can't remember) and then I get a new one after completing one I already have. So just keep completing them and you should get more. I think that's how it works.

OK, thanks. It just gets a little boring to play the same song all the time, there should have been more than three songs per game available from the start. Also, battle themes on ultimate are a bitch, my hand needs a break after one of those lol.

Chairhome

I think I might get FFVI Battle and maybe Desperate Struggle. I don't feel anything for Somnus, it sounds decent enough, but there's not a real connection for me yet.

I played some multi with two of my brothers last night and it was pretty fun. You get more experience than usual (though only one of your characters gets it) and its pretty fun to trash talk about who is messing up and who gets the highest score.

During field mode, you'll see a bubble flash with another characters face every once in a while and you'll be able to tell if you're ahead of or behind them. In battle mode, the bubble appears to show who defeated the enemy during time of death.

Interestingly, everyone plays the same stuff (I initially thought you only needed to hit the notes for your character, but no) and shares the same HP bar, but I THINK its possible to fight different bosses (this is the only explanation i can think of because we once got different drops from fighting two bosses in one stage. One of us got turquoise and scarlet shards, one got scarlet, and the other got scarlet and silver shards. My bros weren't paying attention so I'm not sure if they fought the same bosses that I did). during summon mode, its possible for one person to have messed up and not have summoned their esper/aeon/whatever in their game while the other party members were successful. Also, its possible for each character to have a different aeon/esper.

Lots of fun though! Too bad no online.

denshuu

You get more Dark Notes by beating the Dark Note in the top slot of the list.

Do Dark Notes appear in any other slots? I've got 40 of them so far and every time I get a new one it appears in the top slot, and I only ever get new Dark Notes by beating those.

Anybody else going to be upgrading to a 3DSXL? I'm wondering if it will take some adjusting to get used to the bigger screen for the Field stages when scrolling, as you'll have to move the stylus further to keep up with the hold marker.

Famassu

there should have been more than three songs per game available from the start.
There are more than three songs per game, at least for some. That said, if the devs are to be believed, the game card is filled to the brim with content, so unless they cut out a few FF games, then there's no way there could be more songs per game (other than choosing a bigger game card, but considering how unprofitable handheld games can be nowadays and the quite non-enthusiastic response to Theatrhythm's announcement, opting for a more expensive bigger game card (+ the extra dev time costs) probably didn't seem too lucrative a business decision).

While it would've been nice to have more songs, what number of songs would be enough? We've got a series for which many entries have soundtracks that have closer to 100 songs, enough so that you could make the usual size music game or even two out of one FF game's music. At what point would they have enough songs for people to not go ""I wish it would have more songs from each game, XX just isn't enough". Also, even though the number of songs per game isn't too high, the number of songs in Theatrhythm is still more than in most other music/rhythm games.

Anybody else going to be upgrading to a 3DSXL? I'm wondering if it will take some adjusting to get used to the bigger screen for the Field stages when scrolling, as you'll have to move the stylus further to keep up with the hold marker.

I actually want the extra space specifically for that. I didn't to hit the edges of the bottom screen on those sometimes. Such a pain.

This is the three week schedule for Theatrhythm DLC in North America.

Thursday, July 12, 2012
FINAL FANTASY XIII “Desperate Struggle”
FINAL FANTASY VI “Battle”

Thursday, July 19, 2012
FINAL FANTASY VII “Fight On!”
FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 “Etro’s Champion”
FINAL FANTASY XI “Battle Theme”
FINAL FANTASY III “Battle 1″

Thursday, July 26, 2012
FINAL FANTASY X “A Contest of Aeons”
FINAL FANTASY XIII “The Archylte Steppe”
FINAL FANTASY XI “The Sanctuary of Zi’Tah”
FINAL FANTASY III “Crystal Cave”

Aw yeah, I've been waiting for this one. Best boss theme ever!

I actually want the extra space specifically for that. I didn't to hit the edges of the bottom screen on those sometimes. Such a pain.

But the distance you have to slide your stylus is relative to the size of the screen, so it's not going to be any different. You'll just have to slide your stylus further.

Anyway, I have a few questions:

1) In Field stages, is the Agility of all your characters taken into account, or just whoever is currently running? I'll be annoyed if it's the latter, as that means it's always best to have the fastest character as your leader, which I may not necessarily want.

2) Agility and Luck help you "avoid damage", according to the manual. Does that mean if you get a BAD or MISS, there's a chance your HP may not decrease? Or does it make it harder to get BAD and MISS by increasining the window of time to get a GOOD and above?

3) In Chaos Shrine, what determines which boss you face?And what if you want to face a lower level boss because you want one of their specific items, but you always end up against a higher level boss because your party is "too good"?

1) In Field stages, is the Agility of all your characters taken into account, or just whoever is currently running? I'll be annoyed if it's the latter, as that means it's always best to have the fastest character as your leader, which I may not necessarily want.

3) In Chaos Shrine, what determines which boss you face?And what if you want to face a lower level boss because you want one of their specific items, but you always end up against a higher level boss because your party is "too good"?

1) onscreen character only

3) If you pass the Boss sign during the FMS, you can face either Boss 2 or Boss 3. If you don't pass it, then Boss 1 automatically in the BMS.

Whether you face Boss 2 or Boss 3 in the BMS depends on your performance against the first two enemies. The game will tell you in the upper right when the third enemy appears which boss you'll face.

Most of the times you'll need to intentionally do bad to get Boss 2 if you're already pretty good at that song. In the FMS, you can stick a character with terrible agility in your leader spot to get Boss 1.

There are more than three songs per game, at least for some. That said, if the devs are to be believed, the game card is filled to the brim with content, so unless they cut out a few FF games, then there's no way there could be more songs per game (other than choosing a bigger game card, but considering how unprofitable handheld games can be nowadays and the quite non-enthusiastic response to Theatrhythm's announcement, opting for a more expensive bigger game card (+ the extra dev time costs) probably didn't seem too lucrative a business decision).

While it would've been nice to have more songs, what number of songs would be enough? We've got a series for which many entries have soundtracks that have closer to 100 songs, enough so that you could make the usual size music game or even two out of one FF game's music. At what point would they have enough songs for people to not go ""I wish it would have more songs from each game, XX just isn't enough". Also, even though the number of songs per game isn't too high, the number of songs in Theatrhythm is still more than in most other music/rhythm games.

I just meant that more of the songs that are in should be available from the start because it takes forever to unlock new songs, so it's easy to get bored playing the same ones over and over again to unlock new ones. I wasn't complaining about the overall number of songs (70?).

Famassu

I just meant that more of the songs that are in should be available from the start because it takes forever to unlock new songs, so it's easy to get bored playing the same ones over and over again to unlock new ones. I wasn't complaining about the overall number of songs (70?).
Ah, well, I never bore of listening to FF songs. :) And the Dark Notes have different kinds of... arrangements for the "notes" of songs, so they bring some freshness to playing the same songs.

linko9

Now that GAF is back I must vent my frustration. These spinny arrows are bullshit. It's a cheap way to create difficulty, and it's the first thing that's making me not have fun in the game. I'm playing a No. 99 dark note, and everything about this BMS some is balls easy, but there's one section at the very end that's just a string of spinny arrows one after another for like 15 seconds, and it kills me every time. Just feels really cheap, it just requires you to memorize that section, but it's pretty annoying to do so because I have to play through the rest of the song just to begin to be able to memorize it. Not cool Square :(

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Now that GAF is back I must vent my frustration. These spinny arrows are bullshit. It's a cheap way to create difficulty, and it's the first thing that's making me not have fun in the game. I'm playing a No. 99 dark note, and everything about this BMS some is balls easy, but there's one section at the very end that's just a string of spinny arrows one after another for like 15 seconds, and it kills me every time. Just feels really cheap, it just requires you to memorize that section, but it's pretty annoying to do so because I have to play through the rest of the song just to begin to be able to memorize it. Not cool Square :(

Music games, it's how they are. Well not guitar hero I guess that had a way to practice sections not sure about other games. But the majority ive played are like that

zroid

Banned
Now that GAF is back I must vent my frustration. These spinny arrows are bullshit. It's a cheap way to create difficulty, and it's the first thing that's making me not have fun in the game.

I haven't reached that point yet in the game, but my friend who's been playing it tons more than me was having similar frustrations. Later, he remarked that there's a "trick" to it, and once figuring that out it's not been giving him many problems.

I don't know what it is, but hopefully you'll figure it out.

Top Bottom