• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy |OT| Yes, "One-Winged Angel" is in! Quit asking!

Bururian

I haven't reached that point yet in the game, but my friend who's been playing it tons more than me was having similar frustrations. Later, he remarked that there's a "trick" to it, and once figuring that out it's not been giving him many problems.

I don't know what it is, but hopefully you'll figure it out.

The trick to it is that the arrow only spins 180 degrees from when it appears on screen, so it's easier to know what the arrow is going to be. You just have to reverse the swipe from its starting point.

branny

My copy came today, and I've been playing for a couple of hours. It's okay. I'm sure it will get better eventually. Dark Notes are the only thing keeping me interested at the moment. =\

JordanKZ

My copy came today, and I've been playing for a couple of hours. It's okay. I'm sure it will get better eventually. Dark Notes are the only thing keeping me interested at the moment. =\

I found myself being super bored with this game till I hit the second difficulty level. Stick with it. I'm almost 15 hours in now... :O

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

You have to beat all the series stages to unlock them first, then you can get to the harder settings. yeah I thought that sucked too

I fucking love this game. If it didn't have the RPG elements, I'd probably enjoy it, but nowhere near to this extent. I'd probably just have beat each song a few times, and then sold it.

But the RPG aspect makes the game so much better. It serves as a "carrot on a stick", that always gives you something to work towards, constantly rewards you, and gives you a reason to replay songs over and over again (something other rhythm games lack, and why I usually get bored of them quickly).

I haven't hit many hard levels yet (I haven't attempted many Ultimate songs), but when I do, I'm not going to worry about my rank so much as simply passing them. And embracing the RPG aspect of this game will make that considerably easier, as high level characters, certain abilities, and items all give you significantly more room for mistakes.

I spend a lot of time in the party menu, looking over abilities. I haven't used any items yet other than scrolls to learn new abilities, because I'm hoarding them for when I get stuck. But I like to look those over too, so I know what my options are.I spent a fair while earlier looking over this guide when deciding who to use a scroll on. Seriously, it blows my mind that I was poring over character stats/moves in a strategy guide for a rhythm game.

I'm really impressed at how the RPG elements are incredibly deep and influential, yet can be ignored completely by players who just want a bog standard rhythm game. Square Enix found the perfect balance. Although that said, I've read a few reviews that claim the RPG elements are negligible, and I think the reviewers in question simply haven't experiemented enough/got their heads around the advantages that they bring. Maybe Square Enix would actually have been better off making the RPG elements a bit more forced, as I think too many people are writing them off completely because they just want to jump right in to the core gameplay.

Because FFVII is the only Final Fantasy game I've played through, I don't recognise any of the songs other than the FFVII ones (except for FFV's Mambo De Chocobo, but only because that song is in FFVII as well), yet that's not stopping me from thoroughly enjoying this game. This game isn't simply a nostalgia trip; it's genuinely great in it's own right.

Oh, I have a quick question; do abilities like Strength Up stack? I have both Strength Up 1 and Strength Up 2 on Cloud. Do they both take effect, or just the highest level one?

Bururian

Kepp at it. Expert and Ultimate are totally worth it. I have a hard time playing Basic mode now.

branny

I found myself being super bored with this game till I hit the second difficulty level. Stick with it. I'm almost 15 hours in now... :O
You have to beat all the series stages to unlock them first, then you can get to the harder settings. yeah I thought that sucked too
Kepp at it. Expert and Ultimate are totally worth it. I have a hard time playing Basic mode now.
I kind of figured that was the case, so thanks for the encouragement. <3

Bururian

So I keep noticing that I'm getting duplicate cards for cards that are already platinum for me. I don't know if I'm just wrong, or if the game stops assigning cards after that number for the card hits platinum.

Duran

The trick to it is that the arrow only spins 180 degrees from when it appears on screen, so it's easier to know what the arrow is going to be. You just have to reverse the swipe from its starting point.

Actually the arrows only spin 45 degrees, at least from my experience. So if its pointing upwards, you're gonna have to swipe up-right. Pretty sure it doesn't vary either as all the dark notes I get are level 9x.

Actually the arrows only spin 45 degrees, at least from my experience. So if its pointing upwards, you're gonna have to swipe up-right. Pretty sure it doesn't vary either as all the dark notes I get are level 9x.

The ones I've had so far have been 180 degrees so they haven't been too bad, but when they're huddled up with static ones in some crazy up-tempo section with lots of nodes it gets deadly lol

Duran

The ones I've had so far have been 180 degrees so they haven't been too bad, but when they're huddled up with static ones in some crazy up-tempo section with lots of nodes it gets deadly lol

That's really weird, does it differ from game or something? I've never seen a 180 one.

Maybe a stupid question but... I love FF music since SNES era, but I HATE dlc. Even If the cartridge is more expensive, I prefer my stuff on the cart.

Is there any chance of this game getting a "complete" edition ?

Thx

Bururian

That's really weird, does it differ from game or something? I've never seen a 180 one.

Are you paying attention to the notes as they come on screen, or just about when they are going to hit, because on a 360 degree field, 45 degrees is really tiny, and they spin more than that, easily. Not disproving you, but again, from my experience.

wrowa

Maybe a stupid question but... I love FF music since SNES era, but I HATE dlc. Even If the cartridge is more expensive, I prefer my stuff on the cart.

Thx

Considering that it's pretty hard to find the game, I think we can be grateful that we even got the original edition. I don't think a second extended release is likely.

Roto13

Thx

According to Squenix, the game card is already full.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Might be faster getting new dark notes and hoping to find one with a better drop rate for red.
Already got it and then discovered they are still pronouncing Aeris' name with a lisp so fuck Square Enix.

The real problem is that I'm trying to keep all my party members about the same level so I had this huge drought of about an hour where I just couldn't get any bosses killed because I had one guy with awesome strength and the rest were all wimps who I had just unlocked. Damn my OCD.

Heropon

I didn't start to grind shards until my boss vanquishing team got their first no.90 dark note. At that point I already had four black shards, so the grinding was already half done.

At first I was thinking "WHOA, Chaos Shrine is the REAL GAME. Yeaaah!" and then I found out that it rotates only twenty songs from a selection of seventy. Everything in this game is half-baked. It's annoying because it's such a good game despite that. And I guess DLC songs you buy are only available in Challenge Mode, eh?

At first I was thinking "WHOA, Chaos Shrine is the REAL GAME. Yeaaah!" and then I found out that it rotates only twenty songs from a selection of seventy. Everything in this game is half-baked. It's annoying because it's such a good game despite that. And I guess DLC songs you buy are only available in Challenge Mode, eh?

Yeah, considering Chaso Shrine has the most depth to it in terms of fighting bosses, getting items, and earning EXP, that's a big problem. I spend more time in Chaos Shrine than I do anything else, but it sucks that I sometimes find myself playing the same track two or even three Dark Notes in a row.

And I'm willing to bet that DLC tracks are Challenge Mode only.

My only real problem with Theatrhythm is that Series and Chaos Shrine are gimped in terms of track listings. There's no reason why they couldn't have implemented all songs into both of them (for Series, they could let you choose which Battle and Field tracks you want).

Famassu

Thx
As likely as it has ever been to get Guitar Hero or Rock Band Complete Editions or such. So.. not at all.

At first I was thinking "WHOA, Chaos Shrine is the REAL GAME. Yeaaah!" and then I found out that it rotates only twenty songs from a selection of seventy. Everything in this game is half-baked.
I wouldn't really call that half-baked. They would've had to remap the patterns in all of the songs in the game (multiple times) and that kind of stuff just isn't going to happen. I mean, were lucky to even have a mode with alternative patterns, it's not like games like Ouendan and such offer anything similar and those have much smaller song libraries.

Boogiepop

Four Fiends on Ultimate can go die in a fire.

This. So much this. I have the first half of the song down perfectly, but that damn part with the super-short holds ending in down swipes is impossible and ruins my rhythm, almost always leading to instant death. Honestly, the games starting to teach me how much of a BS idea the swipe notes are. The way they use them, I'm almost always dying to them, but it's because I don't have enough time to react and see which direction the ones in the giant chain are. Or it's damn near impossible to physically hit it right. It's a pain, because I feel like in a rhythm game my mistakes should be fixed by getting the feel for the rhythm. I shouldn't have to spend so much time dealing with frustrating input/instant recognition crap.

Then I went to Battle at the Big Bridge, and that oddly enough felt like something that was humanly possible. So I guess Battle With the Four Fiends is just seriously sucky.

Edit: While I'm venting, I may as well mention that I feel like the game is missing a difficulty mode or two. Though it's wouldn't really be helpful for me, it feels like there should be something between Basic and Expert. The jump in difficulty seems like it could be pretty harsh for someone who's not really adjusted to these types of games.

Yeah, considering Chaso Shrine has the most depth to it in terms of fighting bosses, getting items, and earning EXP, that's a big problem. I spend more time in Chaos Shrine than I do anything else, but it sucks that I sometimes find myself playing the same track two or even three Dark Notes in a row.

And I'm willing to bet that DLC tracks are Challenge Mode only.

My only real problem with Theatrhythm is that Series and Chaos Shrine are gimped in terms of track listings. There's no reason why they couldn't have implemented all songs into both of them (for Series, they could let you choose which Battle and Field tracks you want).

The dlc tracks are challenge mode only. And I think in the Iwata asks for this game the director mentioned how they couldn't fit everything they wanted to due to cartridge limitations.

Roto13

The dlc tracks are challenge mode only. And I think in the Iwata asks for this game the director mentioned how they couldn't fit everything they wanted to due to cartridge limitations.

I don't know if I believe that. :p

But I do know that there's more than a satisfactory number of songs included, for me. And that's all that really matters.

hitmon

Got the game and loving it so far. I'm still getting used to the timing, but it is fun. Thanks GAF, I had no interest in this game before entering this thread.

I don't know if I believe that. :p

But I do know that there's more than a satisfactory number of songs included, for me. And that's all that really matters.

Yeah, I find it hard to believe too. Regardless, there is SO much content in this game. I can easily see myself sinking anywhere from 50 to 100 hours in it.

Bururian

I don't know if I look forward to the day where all I can crank out are No.99 Dark Notes. It may be a ways off, but it is a reality.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I don't know if I look forward to the day where all I can crank out are No.99 Dark Notes. It may be a ways off, but it is a reality.

You can always purposely leave 4 characters underleveled just to grind new lower level dark notes.

So does anyone else want some FF games on 3D Classics after this? Some of the stuff in the movie player looks really nice.
What I'd love most of all is English versions of the famicom FFII & FFIII. I know it's not going to happen, but I can dream.

But I'd take a real 2D FFIII remake over anything right now. Make it happen SE.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I'll take a freshly localized FFXII Zodiac Job System on the 3DS, thanks!!!!!

Those cinematics sure looked sexy in 60fps.

Currently at 44,322rm.

25/64 trophies. Last 2 trophies were the "Get Perfect Chains on all Basic/Expert songs". Going to work on Ultimate later.

As a personal goal, I wanted to try and SSS all the songs but because of how annoying the EMS stages can be (as well as the fact there aren't any trophies for this) I decided against it. If an SSS comes, then yay. If not, I'll just move on.

Looking through the Records menu, I have 3 little stars next to "Total # of Criticals." About 39,837. This will probably be the first stat where I'll get the 4 stars. I love these little stars...adds so much replay value.

I have 8 characters at 99. Going to work on another set of 4 shortly. Still haven't unlocked anyone yet. I'm glad about that, though. I get to work on the original cast of characters (leveling them up) before starting with the hidden characters.

Ahhh..this game is amazing.

Today is Friday and I'm thinking of passing my the Nintendo Store in hopes of picking up some Streetpasses for this game.

Ultimate Four Elemental Fiends really confuses me, particularly the parts that goes hold->slide->hold.

O-----O (->) O-----O

I wish practice mode just keeps restarting instead of taking me to the challenge menu after I beat it. My start button will get worn out fast retrying songs.

Top Bottom