• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy |OT| Yes, "One-Winged Angel" is in! Quit asking!

Jesus. It took about 50 tries, but I FINALLY cleared Battle With the Four Fiends on Ultimate. Got a B that was ALMOST an A. Don't think I'll be playing Ultimate Series mode for IV for a while, ha.

I'm about 300k away from getting SS for that one song but I'm just glad I could clear it. XD

Played some multi-player today, great way to get shards and Dark Notes.

My friend only had thirteen Dark Notes but had LOTS of NES/SNES ones including an elusive dual Final Fantasy VI card. MINE.

The quest for Movement 10 continues.

Dark-VIII

got the game last Thursday and it's great of course
but anyone else having issue dealing with the 3DS touch screen? specially at the center
some time i miss the score if i don't touch it hard enough !

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Well, Battle With the Four Fiends is definitely the hardest thing in the game, possible exception to DLC and high level dark notes.
Agreed. My first attempt at an ultimate track was FF1 Battle - took me at least 20 tries to beat it, ended up with an S due to stoic bonus. Then attempted Four Fiends, the first half was easy but that one still took me at least 30 attempts to figure out the last half. Ended up with an S again thanks to stoic. So far the other BMS tracks take me a couple tries at most, they're much easier in comparison to Four Fiends.

AxvCEWFCQAEwEJU.jpg

=(

Cannot full combo this song for the life of me.

linko9

Call me old fashioned, but I really don't think Rhythm games should have grinding in them.

You don't have to unless you want to unlock new characters, and if you're old fashioned, you probably don't care about what characters are in your party.

Jazzem

Have put 20 hours into this since owning it...absolutely love it, even if I have a few gripes. For one, I wish the DLC had previews of the songs, I end up looking them up on YouTube to see if they appeal...

I've actually only unlocked Cid so far Eight shards for each character seems a bit much, but it does keep me going at unlocking new dark notes. I'm really sick of that vocal song from FFXIII :p

This game also motivated me to buy IX for my PSP! Sadly the system doesn't want to work with my current router, so I have to wait a while until I can play it :( it's amazing how much Theatrhythm gets you in the FF mood though, I'm itching to play through a few entries because of it.

Roto13

Have put 20 hours into this since owning it...absolutely love it, even if I have a few gripes. For one, I wish the DLC had previews of the songs though, I end up looking them up on YouTube to see if they appeal...

I've actually only unlocked one character (Cid). Eight shards for each character seems a bit much, but it does keep me going at unlocking new dark notes. I've gotten really sick of that vocal song from FFXIII :p

This game also motivated me to buy IX for my PSP! Sadly the system doesn't want to work with my current router, so I have to wait a while until I can play it :( it's amazing how much Theatrhythm gets you in the FF mood though, I'm itching to finish off a few enteies that I haven't finished because of it.

Ha, I'm totally itching to replay IX, specifically, because of this game. :p

Jazzem

Ha, I'm totally itching to replay IX, specifically, because of this game. :p

I've only played about eight hours of it before, would continue that save but it was on a PAL copy, so I bought the game off the US store to play in 60hz :p I loved what I did play though, it had a charming style and a really likeable cast of characters. I can see why it's a fan favourite =)

Javier

I really hope Theatrhythm becomes a series and SE makes deals with other companies to make Theatrhythm games of. If a Threatrhythm Zelda or Fire Emblem happens I'm there day one.

^ it's probably him

Just unlocked drk note lvl 93. Freaking. Awesome.

Are all dark notes built the same, though? ie. is the play list in my dark note 93 the exact same as yours?

I ask because im still seeing the same songs play over and over...

You can tell by the Mv number. Theres only 10 possible FMS and BMS each, so you're bound to get some repeated songs.

linko9

I really hope Theatrhythm becomes a series and SE makes deals with other companies to make Theatrhythm games of. If a Threatrhythm Zelda or Fire Emblem happens I'm there day one.

I've been thinking about that. The only one that actually has a chance of happening is DQ. What I would love is a Sakurai-led Nintendo music rhythm game, with like 1000 songs or some shit, and it would be also be developed by the rhythm heaven team, so every song would have a different thingamajig to go along with it. A man can dream.

BooJoh

is "other world" from final fantasy x in here?

I think it's been released as DLC in Japan.

I've been thinking about that. The only one that actually has a chance of happening is DQ. What I would love is a Sakurai-led Nintendo music rhythm game, with like 1000 songs or some shit, and it would be also be developed by the rhythm heaven team, so every song would have a different thingamajig to go along with it. A man can dream.

I've been finding myself wishing I could play this game with Pokemon songs personally. There's so much great music from that series alone that they could easily make a rhythm game out of it and implement finding/catching Pokemon into the gameplay somehow. It would be glorious.

After unlocking everyone but Vivi (my favorite) I have finally managed to acquire all the Orange shards for him. He will forever stay in my party. :)

Now I just need to get around to downloading the new DLC once I manage to find a wifi connection again.. I hear the Type-0 song was replaced with a Versus XIII song. Can anyone confirm this?

After unlocking everyone but Vivi (my favorite) I have finally managed to acquire all the Orange shards for him. He will forever stay in my party. :)

Now I just need to get around to downloading the new DLC once I manage to find a wifi connection again.. I hear the Type-0 song was replaced with a Versus XIII song. Can anyone confirm this?

The European DLC pack was the Japanese one with the Type-0 song swapped out for one from the next pack. The American DLC pack just doesn't follow the Japanese DLC schedule at all.

Roto13

I find it interesting that the only song left that I occasionally fail is the DLC Battle theme from FFVI. It's just the regular battle theme. :p

Boogiepop

Got to the spinning notes. They're... really stupid. Why would you put something this in a rhythm game? It's just inflating the difficulty artificially by making you memorize their directions. What I WASN'T expecting was, even if you get used to the rotation, they mix in non-rotating ones too, so when those pop-up you expect them to rotate and get screwed up anyway.

Am I correct in assuming a shard type or two will only appear at this level of dark note? I think I still haven't seen any shards for
Kain or Sephiroth
, far as I can tell, but I can find everything else and have most of them unlocked anyway.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Bah--one more shard for Locke and it's not happening :( I got 5 shard for Vivi trying to get Locke's last one.

Roto13

Got to the spinning notes. They're... really stupid. Why would you put something this in a rhythm game? It's just inflating the difficulty artificially by making you memorize their directions. What I WASN'T expecting was, even if you get used to the rotation, they mix in non-rotating ones too, so when those pop-up you expect them to rotate and get screwed up anyway.

Am I correct in assuming a shard type or two will only appear at this level of dark note? I think I still haven't seen any shards for
Kain or Sephiroth
, far as I can tell, but I can find everything else and have most of them unlocked anyway.

Spinning notes are easy. Seriously. They only move 90 degrees. It's not like it's impossible to read them. And then you have like a 90 degree window to input them so if it's pointing up-right and you swipe up it registers anyway.

And yes, certain shards only appear at certain levels. None of them only appear in the 90s, though, which is where you'll encounter spinning notes.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39584270&postcount=1788

I don't know about other songs, but IIRC the regular slide beats signal the direction for the spinning ones that follow in Clash on the Big Bridge. Just noticing that helped a lot, it's basically just the same input twice.

linko9

Kain or Sephiroth

I got those shards from a No. 60 note.

Famassu

Call me old fashioned, but I really don't think Rhythm games should have grinding in them.
You replay the same songs over & over again in all rhythm games. Theatrhythm just adds a new element into it which gives it a bit more meaning than just going for a better performance and which fits the game when you think where its roots are.

hitmon

Question about grinding a dark note. Once you get a boss to drop a colored shard, is that the only time he/she drops that colored shard or is it just random? In other words once its listed in the info screen (no longer ???), does that mean that the boss won't drop that colored shard anymore when playing that dark note?

linko9

Question about grinding a dark note. Once you get a boss to drop a colored shard, is that the only time he/she drops that colored shard or is it just random? In other words once its listed in the info screen (no longer ???), does that mean that the boss won't drop that colored shard anymore when playing that dark note?

Yes, he'll keep dropping them, so you can farm away on that note if you want that character immediately. But pretty much all bosses drop 2 or 3 crystals, so it's best to try to get them evenly if you want to be efficient.

hitmon

Yes, he'll keep dropping them, so you can farm away on that note if you want that character immediately. But pretty much all bosses drop 2 or 3 crystals, so it's best to try to get them evenly if you want to be efficient.

Cool Thanks. I've been playing the same note and wasn't getting any shards so was just checking if I was wasting my time.

Famassu

Good luck finding a game card big enough to fit 1000 songs... Also, Dragon Quest is not at all "the only one" that has a chance of happening. Kingdom Hearts is almost more likely given how much bigger it is outside Japan than Dragon Quest. And it's not like a Theatrhythm game needs to have a focus on a single series. They could release a Theatrhythm game with songs from a collection of less know/less successful Square Enix (and maybe more, if they collaborate with different publishers) properties (Nier, SaGa games, Chrono series, Mana games etc.). Now that Theatrhythm has proven to be successful, I don't think they need to really be tied to the same formula as Theatrhythm FF, they could start expanding it into a series of its own without the limitations of being a Final Fantasy themed game.

linko9

Good luck finding a game card big enough to fit 1000 songs... Also, Dragon Quest is not at all "the only one" that has a chance of happening. Kingdom Hearts is almost more likely given how much bigger it is outside Japan than Dragon Quest. And it's not like a Theatrhythm game needs to have a focus on a single series. They could release a Theatrhythm game with songs from a collection of less know/less successful Square Enix (and maybe more, if they collaborate with different publishers) properties (Nier, SaGa games, Chrono series, Mana games etc.). Now that Theatrhythm has proven to be successful, I don't think they need to really be tied to the same formula as Theatrhythm FF, they could start expanding it into a series of its own without the limitations of being a Final Fantasy themed game.

I just don't think any SE property has the potential to sell a decent number of copies of a rhythm game other than FF and DQ. I'd play the hell out of a rhythm game that was just music from CT, but I have a feeling it wouldn't be worth the development cost, small though it might be.

ended up picking up all the dlc today. I have a question about the Chaos Shrine, how do I fight the other bosses. I always end up going against the same one.

BooJoh

ended up picking up all the dlc today. I have a question about the Chaos Shrine, how do I fight the other bosses. I always end up going against the same one.

To get to boss 1 you'll need to not pass the signpost in the FMS. You can do this by keeping characters with low agi active or by intentionally not getting a chocobo (stoic should also work for skipping the chocobo section if you can handle it without abilities/items.)

For Boss 2 & 3 you want to pass the sign, so keep characters with high agi active in FMS and do well on the chocobo or use Greens to guarantee a white chocobo.

I'm not sure exactly what determines boss 2 vs 3 in BMS, but with weaker bosses I've managed to kill both boss 2 and 3 multiple times each in one playthrough of a BMS.

linko9

I'm not sure exactly what determines boss 2 vs 3 in BMS, but with weaker bosses I've managed to kill both boss 2 and 3 multiple times each in one playthrough of a BMS.

It's just how well you do on the first 3 enemies, so if you want to see boss 2, you have to fuck up on the beginning section of the BMS.

Famassu

I just don't think any SE property has the potential to sell a decent number of copies of a rhythm game other than FF and DQ. I'd play the hell out of a rhythm game that was just music from CT, but I have a feeling it wouldn't be worth the development cost, small though it might be.
Again, Kingdom Hearts is much bigger outside Japan than Dragon Quest. And like I said, Theatrhythm FF has probably brought enough fans for the "franchise" that I'm sure a lot of people who have played it and liked it would buy any future Theatrhythm games no matter what game series it uses music from. And my example of using songs from more than one series could be a way to get a larger audience. A Chrono Trigger fan might get a Theatrhythm game even if only 1/3 was Chrono music and the rest were from, say, Nier and Drakengard. And a Nier fan could get the same game since it has Nier music, even if he hadn't played Chrono Trigger.

To get to boss 1 you'll need to not pass the signpost in the FMS. You can do this by keeping characters with low agi active or by intentionally not getting a chocobo (stoic should also work for skipping the chocobo section if you can handle it without abilities/items.)

For Boss 2 & 3 you want to pass the sign, so keep characters with high agi active in FMS and do well on the chocobo or use Greens to guarantee a white chocobo.

Thanks!

Boogiepop

Are Omega and Ozma really, really rare or something? I'm pretty sure I have yet to run into either despite spending quite a bit of time with the game.

Oh, and is there a Chocobo that can only be summoned through an item? It looks like the game says I still need to summon some type of Chocobo to get the trophy.

Top Bottom