• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy |OT| Yes, "One-Winged Angel" is in! Quit asking!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I love to have a Theatrhythm: Sonic the Hedgehog, but Sega won't do it... which is a shame because their current sound team is super-stellar and they have the musical repertoire to back this sort of thing up. Sega can just develop it themselves because they have experience with the rhythm genre already.

Wacky Workbench (Past), Dragon Road Day, Flying Battery, What I'm Made Of, Live and Learn, Spring Yard Zone, etc. would be extra fun to go through in a rhythm game setting. All of their composers don't stick to the same variety of music because they seem to like to mix up their genres every now and then (Senoue notwithstanding; I'm referring to Ohtani, Hataya, Kumatani, and Tokoi). There's a plethora of tracks to utilize for that sort of game. Not utilizing the same sort of art direction as Theatrhythm as I don't think it fits, period.

PixyJunket said:
Yup. It needs a sequel that almost exclusively focuses on what they're doing with the Chaos Shrine mode in this one.
I think it's disappointing that you had to go through the Basic courses before everything else opened up. In addition to my previous criticisms, I've noticed that this game sort of lacks cohesive flow. At least--if we have to use an example--EBA sort of had something like that (since you had a map, missions to solve, and a final mission that brought everything together in a neat little package). You don't necessarily need a fully-fleshed out and developed story for cohesion as other rhythm games will teach you, but there should be some cohesion in the form of light glue or some sort of goal to achieve to string the different stages together.

While the game didn't really have an obvious story mode (and it doesn't need it, admittedly), having the player get 10K Rhythmia and then Chaos suddenly popping out of nowhere was kind of... weird. It's not an arbitrary number, but the fact that you have to get so much Rhythmia after clearing basic and then doing expert/ultimate for a while to rack up Rhythmia to get the final boss to pop up and accrue enough Rhythmia to unlock even more songs and characters is a little disappointing. You have these characters who aren't taking their roles completely seriously in a Dissidia-like manner, so I sort of expected a parody of Dissidia. And the Chaos Shrine basically rotating a few songs even though it probably forces the player to employ more strategy in terms of who they use and what they have equipped is disappointing. I don't like having to play the same songs ad nauseam to grind XP and rhythmia because it gets slightly tiresome.

Another thing, which some have addressed already is the difficulty and the fact that you've had to take on Basic prior to unlocking everything else. EBA at the very least seemed to challenge the player from the start. Balancing the play in favour of the RPG elements like HP and strength kind of takes away from the challenge of getting into the rhythm. A way they tried to introduce difficulty in this game, which I've addressed before, was to switch instruments in the middle of a BGM, which really screws around with you. They want you to play around with the ensemble as opposed to a singular instrument, when in reality, certain instruments' time signatures are more difficult to replicate on a touch pad, so perhaps a smarter idea would have been to stick with a certain instrument for certain difficulties. This constant shifting makes it feel like the levels have little consistency. For a game that concentrates on music, it's very strange; it's like you have one page of sheet music dedicated to your choice of instrument, and then when you get to the second page, some silly fellow seems to have mixed in sheet music for another instrument (like hi-hats, for example). Of course, this is likely done to mix things up a bit over the course of a 1-2 minute beat experience, but I can't help but to feel that this inconsistency adds to the lack of cohesion that the game seems to have, imo.

Ah well. It's still an enjoyable game, but I can't see past some of its flaws. People are completely welcome to feel differently about this, though, and I know they would, but this is how I'm feeling about the game at the moment.

The first game series I think of when considering the possibility of another Theatrhythm (or Theatrhythm-esque) game is Mega Man. The Mega Man series has way more than enough individual songs to justify this sort of game, and considering that 90% of Mega Man music ranges from "good" to "brilliant," a Mega Man rhythm game is just begging to be made.

Include the Mega Man X and Mega Man Battle Network series' music and you've got a recipe for instant OH MY GOD THIS IS THE BEST THING EVER.

zroid

Banned
Kingdom Hearts has the variety and popularity. It goes from up-beat battle themes to quirky world themes to dramatic orchestral scores like Destati to sad, simple stuff like Musique pour la Tristesse de Xion.

And what do you mean, TFF definitely manages that. [snip]

I'm not too familiar with KH music, but if true I'm glad to hear it :)

lol I feel bad that you wrote that long post as you certainly don't have to convince me it's worth $40. I was just speaking from the voice of dissent (and there definitely is one).

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
The first game series I think of when considering the possibility of another Theatrhythm (or Theatrhythm-esque) game is Mega Man. The Mega Man series has way more than enough individual songs to justify this sort of game, and considering that 90% of Mega Man music ranges from "good" to "brilliant," a Mega Man rhythm game is just begging to be made.

Include the Mega Man X and Mega Man Battle Network series' music and you've got a recipe for instant OH MY GOD THIS IS THE BEST THING EVER.

image.php

Guys

GUYS

I was driving to work trying to think of properties that fit the Theatrhythm mold, when I has that lightning moment:

Theatrhythm Legend of Zelda

The music, the characters, that art style, it's perfect

You are leaving millions of dollars on the table if you don't make this, Squeenix and Nintendo.

(totally aware I'm probably person number 943879528 to have this idea)

tumblr_m6yig4cIoP1qzp9weo2_400.jpg

linko9

Great suggestions. Zelda, DQ, Pokemon, Sonic, Megaman and Castlevania would be on the top of my list for new theatrhythm-type games.

edit: Oh wait, I just realized they would include post-CD stuff for Sonic. Scratch that.

Great suggestions. Zelda, DQ, Pokemon, Sonic, Megaman and Castlevania would be on the top of my list for new theatrhythm-type games.

edit: Oh wait, I just realized they would include post-CD stuff for Sonic. Scratch that.

Whatever you think about the games themselves, the later Sonics have had some great music that would work well in a rhythm game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

Post-CD is Sonic 3 & Knuckles, though! ;P

The post Genesis stuff isn't bad. :O

You may not like the Adventure/Saturn stuff, but the 06/Unleashed/Colours stuff would be considered really darn good, particularly for those who aren't too fond of Senoue's work.

Holy crap. I had no idea it would, but turning off the chimes completely improved my performance tenfold. The first song I played after turning them off was FF VI's "Battle," and I nearly SSSed it; only one Great and two Bads, and the Bads were because I misread a few directional triggers, not because of timing.

Will be keeping the chimes off from now on. Between that and the oversized DSi XL stylus I just got from Amazon, I'm in business!

Whatever you think about the games themselves, the later Sonics have had some great music that would work well in a rhythm game.

LIVE AND LEARN

Regarding the grinding, I kinda like what they did with Rythmia, but I wish the score system were better thought-out (wtf stoic bonus) and the unlocks more directly tied to scores (so that instead of grinding, you unlock stuff by doing well).

I wonder why in Chaos Shrine mode it seems the entire game consists of only ten songs or so. If it is randomly picking songs from a roster of about 70, why does it recycle the same ones all the time?

Out of the 18 Dark Notes I've played, 5 times I've had FFII battle 2 and 5 times I've had Something To Protect, at one time appearing three times in a row. I love that song but it's starting to outstay its welcome like this :/

I think I've hit my wall in this game on Ultimate. The songs are quite a bit hard, but not easy enough to where I can slowly get better without replaying songs over and over and over.

Still, I'll probably buy some DLC to have more songs to play.

Jucksalbe

Banned
If it is randomly picking songs from a roster of about 70, why does it recycle the same ones all the time?

It's not. It's randomly(?) picking out of 20 songs. But it seems to be very common that you get the same songs over and over (but the song differs for every person), so I guess it's probably not completely random.

teeny

I have nothing against cutesy stuff at all, I just don't like this particular take on it. The female characters look particularly awful.

In my opinion, it would be a lot better if the characters had a range of expressions rather than the creepy dead marionette look they currently have. Other than that, I quite like it, reminds me of the papercraft cutscene at the beginning of Phantom Hourglass.

I have no emotional investment in Final Fantasy at all - the only game I have played in the series is XIII, which I understand isnt considered the best ;) Still, Im having a blast playing this. Hopefully SE do this for some other franchises. People have already mentioned it but a Thetrhythm: Legend of Zelda would be amazing.

Anyone know whether or not the "preferred" Dark Notes out there -- like the ones with a bunch of Magic Pots to grind EXP on -- have specific names? I'd imagine that most people who get one and know it will be kind enough to attach it to their ProfiCard, and I'd like to know what to look for, seeing as I just got about 80 Dark Notes from ProfiCards at Comic-Con last week... but I'm not about to play all of them.

kiryogi

Banned
I wonder why in Chaos Shrine mode it seems the entire game consists of only ten songs or so. If it is randomly picking songs from a roster of about 70, why does it recycle the same ones all the time?

Out of the 18 Dark Notes I've played, 5 times I've had FFII battle 2 and 5 times I've had Something To Protect, at one time appearing three times in a row. I love that song but it's starting to outstay its welcome like this :/

->
My bad. Actually it presents itself as No. 35, Score 45.. The first set of numbers determines the difficulty, the next 2 determine what songs it'll be. Which it picks from a set of 9 field and 9 battle. This is also the only mode you can listen to VI's "The Fierce Battle".

So in this case, Score 45 means the first song will be "Tina's theme", and the battle song will be "The Man with the Machine Gun"

Here's the listing:

FMS:
0 Gurgu Volcano
1 Eternal Wind
2 Dungeon of the Giants
3 Mambo de Chocobo
4 Tina's Theme
5 The Last Day
6 Blue Fields
7 To Zanarkand
8 Vana'diel March
9 Sunleth Waterscape

BMS:
0 Battle Scene 2
1 Battle 1
2 Big Bridge
3 Fierce Battle
4 J-E-N-O-V-A
5 The man with the Machine Gun
6 Something to Protect
7 Seymour Battle
8 Ending Movie
9 Struggle Against Fate

Vaati

Banned
I tried playing Ultimate mode last night and wow was it tough. If I didn't have work today I would have spent all night playing it. So far I've only beaten the FF1 FMS on Ultimate. The BMS just overwhelmed me right away.

Roto13

So anyone have any suggestions for alts to Cloud and Squall. By that I mean characters that have good boss fighting abilities.

Basically anyone with a "Limit Break" that specifically damages bosses is a reliable boss-murderer. Zidane and Vaan both have attacks like that, though their general strength stat won't take down regular enemies as quickly as Squall and Cloud will.

Both Vaan and Zidane are great to have in your party anyway, just because they're great for FMS and good for bosses.

Nista

Right now I'm using a party of Terra, Lightning, Bartz and Zidane all around lvl 25.

I'm having trouble killing off bosses during Dark Notes, should I swap one of them out for a new character at this point? Also should I swap my leader around, since Terra is basically specced for healing at this point?

Roto13

Right now I'm using a party of Terra, Lightning, Bartz and Zidane all around lvl 25.

I'm having trouble killing off bosses during Dark Notes, should I swap one of them out for a new character at this point? Also should I swap my leader around, since Terra is basically specced for healing at this point?

Terra's not going to be very good for killing off bosses. Your party leader should be someone fast, because your party leader order only really matters during FMS and faster is better for that.

Roto13

Can anyone tell me
what the rhythmia totals are to unlock all the particular extra songs? I have unlocked the first 2 already

Encore songs:
Blinded By Light (FFXIII) (BMS) 15000 PTS
Dancing Mad (FFVI) (BMS) 10000 PTS
Searching for Friends (FFVI) (FMS) 20000 PTS
Those Who Fight (FFVII) (BMS) 25000 PTS

Chaos Shrine songs:
Battle 1 (FFIV) (BMS) 30000 PTS
Dungeon of the Giants (FFIV) (FMS) 32500 PTS
Gurgu Volcano (FFI) (FMS) 27500 PTS
J-E-N-O-V-A (FFVII) (BMS) 40000 PTS
Mambo de Chocobo (FFV) (FMS) 37500 PTS
Something to Protect (FFIX) (FMS) 45000 PTS
The Fierce Battle (FFVI) (BMS) 35000 PTS
The Last Day (FFVII) (FMS) 42500 PTS

I love the game itself but I seriously wish all the menu and info stuff would be faster. For example after finishing a song I don't want to see how much exp my lvl 99 characters got and I don't need 10 sec animation to inform me that my rhytmia has increased. Also if I fail a song just let me retry right away instead of showing useless info I want to see only when I have completed the song or given up.

linko9

I love the game itself but I seriously wish all the menu and info stuff would be faster. For example after finishing a song I don't want to see how much exp my lvl 99 characters got and I don't need 10 sec animation to inform me that my rhytmia has increased. Also if I fail a song just let me retry right away instead of showing useless info I want to see only when I have completed the song or given up.

Yeah, it especially sucks when you reach the rhythmia cap. But at this point I'm spending most of my time hitting retry, so I don't see much of that stuff anyway :D

Roto13

Yeah, it especially sucks when you reach the rhythmia cap. But at this point I'm spending most of my time hitting retry, so I don't see much of that stuff anyway :D

Ugh. I would like to never, ever see the Rhythmia screen again once I hit the cap. :p

Basically anyone with a "Limit Break" that specifically damages bosses is a reliable boss-murderer. Zidane and Vaan both have attacks like that, though their general strength stat won't take down regular enemies as quickly as Squall and Cloud will.

Both Vaan and Zidane are great to have in your party anyway, just because they're great for FMS and good for bosses.

Without spoiling what the exact abilities are...any secret characters have decent limit breaks?

Noi

Is there a reliable way to see Boss #1 and #2 on Dark Notes that doesn't involve going Stoic? Whenever I fail notes on purpose to try and do so, I tend to go overboard and lose the whole whole thing...

Go less overboard on failing notes?

If your party is at a high level, missing 2-5 notes on purpose should be good enough to force Boss #2 to show up

Noi

If your party is at a high level, missing 2-5 notes on purpose should be good enough to force Boss #2 to show up

It's not! Highest level character is in the 20's, though reading up on it now, Boss #2 is a lot easier to get since it's based on remaining HP. Now I just need to figure out how many to fail to not trigger the chocobo during FMS.

For Boss 1 just use someone with really bad Agility as your leader. Skip the Chocobo to if that helps.

I think you can fail if you miss at least half the notes.

Famassu

A way they tried to introduce difficulty in this game, which I've addressed before, was to switch instruments in the middle of a BGM, which really screws around with you. They want you to play around with the ensemble as opposed to a singular instrument, when in reality, certain instruments' time signatures are more difficult to replicate on a touch pad, so perhaps a smarter idea would have been to stick with a certain instrument for certain difficulties. This constant shifting makes it feel like the levels have little consistency. For a game that concentrates on music, it's very strange; it's like you have one page of sheet music dedicated to your choice of instrument, and then when you get to the second page, some silly fellow seems to have mixed in sheet music for another instrument (like hi-hats, for example). Of course, this is likely done to mix things up a bit over the course of a 1-2 minute beat experience, but I can't help but to feel that this inconsistency adds to the lack of cohesion that the game seems to have, imo.
No, that is actually GOOD game design, which is why so many rhythm games do it one way or another (force you to play different instruments of the song). I don't really understand what's your problem with it, there's no need for consistency in this particular area (though, yeah, I agree the game overall could've used a clearer structure, now you have a bit too much freedom, especially considering how much there is to do in the game).

EDIT: I will add, however, that the switching between instruments isn't always well done (in a few songs I have some trouble figuring out what, exactly, am I playing).

Woo, all characters obtained! Now I guess the only thing left to do is SSS all the courses. Or is there some kind of secret to the no.99 Dark Notes beyond just playing them?

linko9

No, that is actually GOOD game design, which is why so many rhythm games do it one way or another (force you to play different instruments of the song). I don't really understand what's your problem with it, there's no need for consistency in this particular area (though, yeah, I agree the game overall could've used a clearer structure, now you have a bit too much freedom, especially considering how much there is to do in the game).

Well said, that's one thing I really appreciate about this game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

EDIT: I will add, however, that the switching between instruments isn't always well done (in a few songs I have some trouble figuring out what, exactly, am I playing).
Well, yeah, that's part of what I'm getting at. You're concentrating on one single thing, and then the instrument switches in a strange sort of context.

I think part of my problem is being overly familiar with the BGM in a listening context and a performance context (thus having prior knowledge of the patterns of several instruments and anticipating them). Like, I can see how they can make it easy at first with the held stuff, and then incorporating hits, then incorporating arrows, and then mixing it up a ton, and then build it up over the course of the song by making it more difficult. But then the obvious difficulty scaling for some of the difficulty settings (ex: the division between basic, expert and ultimate) might be thrown off if they do that. Ah well. It's really the thing that bothers me the most, so I still sorta disagree, but I won't let it deter other people's enjoyment of the game.

Top Bottom