• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy |OT| Yes, "One-Winged Angel" is in! Quit asking!

BooJoh

Are Omega and Ozma really, really rare or something? I'm pretty sure I have yet to run into either despite spending quite a bit of time with the game.

Oh, and is there a Chocobo that can only be summoned through an item? It looks like the game says I still need to summon some type of Chocobo to get the trophy.

I've only been able to get a white chocobo by using Greens (Sylkis I believe) much like summoning Bahamut, I don't know if it's just incredibly rare or impossible without the items.

Bururian

Are Omega and Ozma really, really rare or something? I'm pretty sure I have yet to run into either despite spending quite a bit of time with the game.

Oh, and is there a Chocobo that can only be summoned through an item? It looks like the game says I still need to summon some type of Chocobo to get the trophy.

you'll need a certain green to summon a golden chocobo. the rest can be done without the item. I forget which green it was, but it tells you in the description.

So is there any damage in BMS that carries over to the next enemy? Trying to kill the boss more than once in a certain dark note, but it's a pain and was wondering if something like Bahamut would help.

BooJoh

So is there any damage in BMS that carries over to the next enemy? Trying to kill the boss more than once in a certain dark note, but it's a pain and was wondering if something like Bahamut would help.

None that I'm aware of, but basically you just want to maximize your damage output, both with boss-activated moves, and your regular DPS. You can try intentionally failing the summon since those just do damage to one enemy, but in my experience it doesn't always help that much.

This next set of European DLC has been announced.

Dungeon (FF02 - FMS)
Battle (FF06 - BMS)
The Dalmasca Estersand (FF12 - FMS)
Etro's Champion (FFS - BMS)

Looking at the Japanese list, we appear to be matching their schedule but with one track from the week ahead because Type-0's track got dropped.

Roto13

You replay the same songs over & over again in all rhythm games. Theatrhythm just adds a new element into it which gives it a bit more meaning than just going for a better performance and which fits the game when you think where its roots are.

No way.

Playing the same 20 songs out of 80 over and over and over and over again to unlock characters is completely different from playing the entire list of songs available to beat your previous score.

Famassu

No way.

Playing the same 20 songs out of 80 over and over and over and over again to unlock characters is completely different from playing the entire list of songs available to beat your previous score.
I dunno. When I replay songs in other rhythm games, I can play one song many, MANY times before moving on. Really not that different to the way I play Theatrhythm, only I get pointless stuff each time I play the song and not just points. :p

Though, yes, Chaos Shrine could've benefitted from having at least a few more songs to randomly choose from.

Trying to figure out which four people to choose next is pretty tough, especially when unlocked characters are factored into the equation

BTW, has anyone been successful in getting at least one Golden Shard from a Dark Note? I would have never thought that would be the most rare as opposed to the Rainbow Shard

linko9

Trying to figure out which four people to choose next is pretty tough, especially when unlocked characters are factored into the equation

BTW, has anyone been successful in getting at least one Golden Shard from a Dark Note? I would have never thought that would be the most rare as opposed to the Rainbow Shard

About 99% of my notes have a golden shard, or that's what it feels like, but that only started with the high level notes. And
Cosmos
was one of my first unlocks, which is weird. For me, I've only found one note with a white shard, so Snow was my last unlock. Luck of the draw, I guess.

Pangya

Finally hit the 99999 rhythmia cap with 45/64 trophies. Does anyone know the details on how to get some of these trophies? For example, the "beat every enemy trophy" seems like it would involve some rare enemy bosses from random dark notes?

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I love this game so much but the difficulty is killing me, I'm really bad with this type of games. I'm so bad that I can take only on BASIC COURSEs for the most, having serious trouble with almost all the EXPERT's and I find literally impossible every dark note I tried. I'd like to see more "songs and stages" but, being all the extras stuff in the dark notes, I'm missing half of the game and I don't have solutions at hand. Any suggestion?

Keep practicing? Just got to get used to going with the rhythm.

In challenge mode you can practice every normal stage until you get the hang of it.

Roto13

I love this game so much but the difficulty is killing me, I'm really bad with this type of games. I'm so bad that I can take only on BASIC COURSEs for the most, having serious trouble with almost all the EXPERT's and I find literally impossible every dark note I tried. I'd like to see more "songs and stages" but, being all the extras stuff in the dark notes, I'm missing half of the game and I don't have solutions at hand. Any suggestion?

The only things you won't be able to play at all without playing Dark Notes are To Zanarkand and the FMS/BMS versions of Vana'diel March and FFXII's Ending Movie. (I think that's it, anyway.) You also won't be able to unlock new characters.

Most of the Chaos Shrine-specific songs get unlocked in Challenge mode through Rhythmia, though they come with their own special difficulty levels that you probably won't be able to handle if you can't play on Expert.

Don't be afraid to use abilities. Higher level characters with more HP and higher stats plus healing and protective abilities will last much, much longer and allow you to make many more mistakes than low level naked characters. You'll never get super high scores from characters with abilities equipped, but at least you'll be able to finish songs and unlock stuff. Also, I find that Dark Notes are actually easier than Ultimate difficulty level stages in Challenge mode, so if you do get to the point where Expert is manageable, don't be afraid to try the Chaos Shrine again.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Thanks to both, I'll try to focus on praticing more, getting rhytmia points in challenge, and levelling up way more my characters (they're just lvl 30 for now afterall). I hope with this I can manage to get most of the content done when finished.

branny

Yeah, sorry guys. :(

The more I play, the more I realize that I'm just not feeling it. It's not that there's a lack of challenge or anything (half of the BMS in Ultimate are tricky enough); it's that the kind of tapping and swiping you do really isn't intrinsically all that fun to me. I think EBA did this style of touchscreen stuff better, actually: I don't know why 3DS games must continually be hampered like this because BMS, for example, would've been a lot more exciting if the action were adapted for the bottom screen. I also have little emotional connection to most of these songs, so the nostalgia isn't keeping me going. Some of the music is wonderful, yes, but some isn't. And, for some reason, the way the game is designed makes it harder to look past less exciting songs to instead develop an affection for the uniqueness of their note charts.

I hate how you have to sit through so much crap after you finish songs and have no way to skip through it all with a menu option somewhere. I find it weird how the RPG elements are simultaneously underdeveloped and overdeveloped in contrast to something like the DJMAX series. This, in turn, makes me sad about how the Chaos Shrine ended up because it could've helped flesh out the grinding much better if it were a bigger focus. I don't get why some songs simply fade out or start at awkward parts--it seems lazy, whether or not it's out of respect of the original compositions. I find it jarring that EMS aren't 60fps and sometimes behave erratically. I've grown to dislike how finicky rapid sections of slash notes can occasionally be despite memorization and reasonable dexterity. I don't like the way the game periodically shoehorns its own beat with chimes when songs aren't up to the task of providing more complicated patterns on their own. I know it's a lot of little things to whine about, a couple complaints likely stemming solely from unfair bias or user error on my part, but I'm just being honest with how I feel.

I think I'm too conditioned to other arcade-style rhythm games to appreciate what Theatrhythm is trying to do. I hope those of you really enjoying this will share the same enthusiasm for Technika providing it survives its transition to the Vita relatively unscathed.

ghibli99

Finally got my TRU order, and just played the first few stages. Feels pretty good, and it's very nostalgic, but after a string of 8-bit and 16-bit games, I'm still surprised every time I play a modern game and see how much fluff I have to get through before I start playing. Seems quite well-made, though. Look forward to getting deeper into it. Nice job on the manual, too.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Yeah, sorry guys. :(

The more I play, the more I realize that I'm just not feeling it. It's not that there's a lack of challenge or anything (half of the BMS in Ultimate are tricky enough); it's that the kind of tapping and swiping you do really isn't intrinsically all that fun to me. I think EBA did this style of touchscreen stuff better, actually: I don't know why 3DS games must continually be hampered like this because BMS, for example, would've been a lot more exciting if the action were adapted for the bottom screen. I also have little emotional connection to most of these songs, so the nostalgia isn't keeping me going. Some of the music is wonderful, yes, but some isn't. And, for some reason, the way the game is designed makes it harder to look past less exciting songs to instead develop an affection for the uniqueness of their note charts.

I hate how you have to sit through so much crap after you finish songs and have no way to skip through it all with a menu option somewhere. I find it weird how the RPG elements are simultaneously underdeveloped and overdeveloped in contrast to something like the DJMAX series. This, in turn, makes me sad about how the Chaos Shrine ended up because it could've helped flesh out the grinding much better if it were a bigger focus. I don't get why some songs simply fade out or start at awkward parts--it seems lazy, whether or not it's out of respect of the original compositions. I find it jarring that EMS aren't 60fps and sometimes behave erratically. I've grown to dislike how finicky rapid sections of slash notes can occasionally be despite memorization and reasonable dexterity. I don't like the way the game periodically shoehorns its own beat with chimes when songs aren't up to the task of providing more complicated patterns on their own. I know it's a lot of little things to whine about, a couple complaints likely stemming solely from unfair bias or user error on my part, but I'm just being honest with how I feel.

I think I'm too conditioned to other arcade-style rhythm games to appreciate what Theatrhythm is trying to do. I hope those of you really enjoying this will share the same enthusiasm for Technika providing it survives its transition to the Vita relatively unscathed.

Nothing you're saying is incorrect, but I feel it's bigger than the sum of its parts. Add to that the particular theme of the game having emotional resonance for some of us, and I think that pretty clearly explains why people might be generally liking the game more than you even if they cede all your points.

linko9

I also have little emotional connection to most of these songs, so the nostalgia isn't keeping me going

Yeah, I can certainly see how this game would be bland if you weren't a big FF fan. That said, I think that this game is a step above EBA in pretty much every regard, other than the awesome story panels.

Anyone know if SE has or will put out a CD of the remixed music in this game? It's a bummer that (as far as I can tell, with 95000 rm), they don't get unlocked in the music player.

So I wasn't gonna pick this game up (I like FF but I'm not a huge fan) but after hearing lots of good things from friends, and mostly realizing that this is basically Ouendan with RPG elements, I've changed my mind. I'll probably wait for it to go on sale though.

How is the difficulty compared to Ouendan / Elite Beat Agents? Obviously there are multiple difficulty levels, but in general is it as crushingly difficult as Ouendan/EBA? For reference, I was able to beat most of the songs in Ouendan and EBA on their standard difficulty, and a good deal on Hard.

I'm struggling to find Indigo crystals. I've managed to find plenty of Rainbows, Reds and Golds, though.

It's as if the game knows Locke is my favorite character.

How is the difficulty compared to Ouendan / Elite Beat Agents? Obviously there are multiple difficulty levels, but in general is it as crushingly difficult as Ouendan/EBA? For reference, I was able to beat most of the songs in Ouendan and EBA on their standard difficulty, and a good deal on Hard.

I would say its about as hard as Ouendan. Ultimate usually lines up with Insane, but you trade annoying spinners for quick swipes instead.

Roto13

So I wasn't gonna pick this game up (I like FF but I'm not a huge fan) but after hearing lots of good things from friends, and mostly realizing that this is basically Ouendan with RPG elements, I've changed my mind. I'll probably wait for it to go on sale though.

Well, no level killed me as many times as Jumping Jack Flash on the hardest difficulty level did.

The thing about Theatrhythm is that your party actually levels up, and the stages get easier to survive as you get stronger. (The note charts don't change or anything, but there are abilities and stats that reduce or heal damage you take when you miss a beat.) I imagine Jumping Jack Flash would have been a lot easier if I was able to miss more beats and still finish the song.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Hrrrrmmm...

The more I play this, the more I feel like my honeymoon phase has ended with this game (though it sort of ended when I noted my dissatisfaction with the EMS, note progression, constant instrument switching, etc. last week or so). It's rather unfortunate. I appreciate everything that was put into this game as a means of an anniversary game, but it certainly isn't without its faults.

With that said, though, I'd like a second iteration of the game so that they can improve on a lot of stuff and make the game more fluid (for reasons that branny has discussed). Some stuff ain't broke, but you can improve it to make it more efficient in a sense.

Don't get me wrong; I like the game. But I think it can be better.

Well, no level killed me as many times as Jumping Jack Flash on the hardest difficulty level did.
The satisfaction of beating Jumping Jack Flash was such a good feeling. <3

ghibli99

Played this for over an hour last night. I only finished FF2 and messed with a couple challenge and dark note things. Also bought the final battle from FF4 DLC, which was so damn nostalgic. I'm really liking this, although my wife was ready to kill me from all the screen tapping, especially on Ultimate. :)

"I wouldn’t be surprised if Square Enix produced a Theatrhythm Dragon Quest (and didn’t release it in the States)."

That hurt.

The thing about Theatrhythm is that your party actually levels up, and the stages get easier to survive as you get stronger. (The note charts don't change or anything, but there are abilities and stats that reduce or heal damage you take when you miss a beat.) I imagine Jumping Jack Flash would have been a lot easier if I was able to miss more beats and still finish the song.

This is awesome to hear. The fact that you can essentially grind your team up in order to make the game incrementally easier is brilliant. Solves the problem of "unbeatable" songs (at least partially).

Since you guys are of the opinion that it's about the same difficulty as Ouendan, which I loved, I'll definitely pick this up.

Whoever said trying to SSS EMS stages is a pain in the ass was right. So frustrating sometimes. Been able to do it up to FF5 on basic though, so I'm getting somewhere. Don't know if I'll be able to on the harder difficulties though.

linko9

Whoever said trying to SSS EMS stages is a pain in the ass was right. So frustrating sometimes. Been able to do it up to FF5 on basic though, so I'm getting somewhere. Don't know if I'll be able to on the harder difficulties though.

Yeah, they are pretty awful. Most of them don't have any percussion, and have fluid tempos, and as they are generally pretty slow, that timing window seems even less forgiving. Add to that the inconsistent movement speed of the reticule, and you've got a recipe for frustration. So far I've got expert SSS on I, II, III, and V, and I still want to get them all, but I might give up.

Guys

GUYS

I was driving to work trying to think of properties that fit the Theatrhythm mold, when I has that lightning moment:

Theatrhythm Legend of Zelda

The music, the characters, that art style, it's perfect

You are leaving millions of dollars on the table if you don't make this, Squeenix and Nintendo.

(totally aware I'm probably person number 943879528 to have this idea)

zroid

Banned
I would love to see more games/series get the Theatrhythm treatment, but I just don't know if anything else has enough variety and depth in their musical repertoires to justify a $40 game. Hell, it's arguable if even TFF manages that feat.

Now, if Theatrhythm: Legend of Zelda were a $10-15 eShop game... I could get behind that.

Famassu

I think the EMS stages are actually much easier to get good scores from on harder difficulty levels, since charts are much closer to the actual songs without unnervingly long gaps which screw up your rhythm during slow parts in songs. And I've kind of grown to like the EMS stages. At first I didn't like the changing speed/thempo of the thingamajing, but on the other hand that is the differentiating aspect of the EMS stages. Otherwise they'd just be the BMSs but the charts going all over the screen instead of coming at you from the right and without it the songs would be way too easy. You really have to know these songs by heart if you want to get the best scores and I'm a-OK with that. I do understand if they are not to everybody's taste, though.

linko9

I think the EMS stages are actually much easier to get good scores from on harder difficulty levels, since charts are much closer to the actual songs without unnervingly long gaps which screw up your rhythm during slow parts in songs. And I've kind of grown to like the EMS stages. At first I didn't like the changing speed/thempo of the thingamajing, but on the other hand that is the differentiating aspect of the EMS stages. Otherwise they'd just be the BMSs but the charts going all over the screen instead of coming at you from the right and without it the songs would be way too easy. You really have to know these songs by heart if you want to get the best scores and I'm a-OK with that. I do understand if they are not to everybody's taste, though.

Have you gone for SSS on them? I certainly know most of these songs by heart, and I can assure you that for me, they are by far the hardest to SSS (on expert difficulty, ultimate's a different story). Obviously they're the easiest to full chain, I'm purely talking getting 9999999 points.

Famassu

I would love to see more games/series get the Theatrhythm treatment, but I just don't know if anything else has enough variety and depth in their musical repertoires to justify a $40 game. Hell, it's arguable if even TFF manages that feat.

Now, if Theatrhythm: Legend of Zelda were a $10-15 eShop game... I could get behind that.
Kingdom Hearts has the variety and popularity. It goes from up-beat battle themes to quirky world themes to dramatic orchestral scores like Destati to sad, simple stuff like Musique pour la Tristesse de Xion.

And what do you mean, TFF definitely manages that. Not only does it manage that by having compositions from 4 or 5 great composers (not sure what songs Kumi Tanioka composed for XI, so I'm not sure if his stuff is in Theatrhythm), songs from different eras sound so very different due to evolving hardware. Even though Uematsu is responsible for I-IX, I-III, IV-VI and VII-IX all have different sounds to them because of the differences of NES, SNES & PS1. Then enter Hamauzu for X & XIII, Mizuta for XI and Sakimoto for XII, all with wildly different styles. There's enough variety within one games songs (it's not like Hamauzu stuck to just single type of songs, he has jazz, electronic, orchestral and all kinds of other genres in his OSTs), not to even mention between games. And even with Theatrhythm's limited number of songs from each game, you can hear the variety.

Unfortunately said differentiating aspect makes for a poor rhythm game. If you don't provide reliably timed cues, it's unreasonable to expect me to give correct inputs. There really is no excuse for a gimmick like this. Good rhythm games shouldn't require memorization, just quick reactions and a strong sense of, well, rhythm.

Fortunately the Battle and Field stages are good enough to make up for this faux pas.

Roto13

Unfortunately said differentiating aspect makes for a poor rhythm game. If you don't provide reliably timed cues, it's unreasonable to expect me to give correct inputs. There really is no excuse for a gimmick like this. Good rhythm games shouldn't require memorization, just quick reactions and a strong sense of, well, rhythm.

Fortunately the Battle and Field stages are good enough to make up for this faux pas.

The fact that none of the encore or chaos shrine or DLC songs are EMSes makes me think they realized how bad they were, but it's not a Final Fantasy game without cutscenes.

Famassu

I dunno, I don't think it's too much different from Ouendan's hardest difficulty level where you only see the notes really late before you have to already be tapping on them, so a lot of the time you do have to remember where the next ones will appear to be able to play them well. In the EMS stages, it helps when you know what kind of melody is coming up so once you see what's in the chart, you should have a pretty good idea when and how you should be pressing them. It doesn't require memorization of the charts but you have to be familiar with the songs themselves (in BMSs it's much easier to succeed by only good reflexes).

Again, I do understand if some don't like them because of the nature of the stages, but I've grown to enjoy them and don't have nearly as much problems with them as I used to (though, they are still my least favorite out of the three types). And I'm pretty sure they aren't in Chaos Shrine because they have nothing that your stats help you in any way. Part of the Chaos Shrine is to be able to use your improved characters to beat up shittons of bosses and to run really far. The EMS stages don't have that kind of aspect to them.

Volodja

The EMS are the only stages I have yet to replay after the first time on basic.

Actually basic in general was a pretty boring experience, thankfully on expert the entire thing is more fun, even if right now I'm just working on unlocking the Ultimate scores for everything (aside from the EMS).
As a result I still suffer from the relatively long downtime after each songs, considering that it really takes only 1 try to get an A.

Boogiepop

Okay, 31 hours in, and I've just finished beating all the games in Series mode on Ultimate. I think this is where I'm going to call it for now and take a while off. I still have about 6 characters to unlock, and I have 9 characters maxed (with another 4 close), with around 60,000 Rhythmia and about half the trophies. There's more I COULD do, but I'm starting to feel a little fatigued with the game, so I'm thinking I'll let it sit for a while and come back to it in a few weeks/months and maybe grab some DLC to spice things up.

All in all, it's felt like a nice first attempt that's exceptional in a number of ways and subpar in some others. Which makes me really want to see a sequel. The most glaring thing is the Event songs. It really feels like they were thrown in there without a solid concept behind them. Maybe if you had the ingame character models re-enact a scene and react based on how you do at certain points (ala Ouendan/EBA) or something that'd fit, but they just feel like weaker, sloppier Field songs as they are.

The other thing I really feel could use some reworking is the various modes. I mean, I can only get Shards in the Chaos Shrine (which has limited song selection), I can only try for high scores in Challenge mode, and Series mode just feels kind of like useless filler. I feel like this whole setup could be streamlined into a better selection of modes. Oh, and the "special" difficulty on songs in Challenge mode is pretty lame (couldn't they at least give us all the arrangements for the song from the Chaos Shrine?), and the fact that certain songs didn't even make it to Challenge mode is even lamer.

All in all though, I've had a good time with the game, and there's plenty of fun to be had. It's just a shame that some of the things feel a tad sloppy, and the difficulty level feels all over the place.

Oh, and as for games that could use a Theatrhythm knock-off, I've been thinking about how great a .hack one would be, with the caveat that they bring in the music from the anime series as well.

Top Bottom