• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy |OT| Yes, "One-Winged Angel" is in! Quit asking!

linko9

Well, yeah, that's part of what I'm getting at. You're concentrating on one single thing, and then the instrument switches in a strange sort of context.

I think part of my problem is being overly familiar with the BGM in a listening context and a performance context (thus having prior knowledge of the patterns of several instruments and anticipating them). Like, I can see how they can make it easy at first with the held stuff, and then incorporating hits, then incorporating arrows, and then mixing it up a ton, and then build it up over the course of the song by making it more difficult. But then the obvious difficulty scaling for some of the difficulty settings (ex: the division between basic, expert and ultimate) might be thrown off if they do that. Ah well. It's really the thing that bothers me the most, so I still sorta disagree, but I won't let it deter other people's enjoyment of the game.

Beyond the first or second playthrough of a song, I don't see how you can be surprised by the "instrument switching." Can you imagine how dull it would be if every song just had you following the melody?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
linko9 said:
Beyond the first or second playthrough of a song, I don't see how you can be surprised by the "instrument switching." Can you imagine how dull it would be if every song just had you following the melody?
Because once you get into the zone, you don't really get out of it out of force of habit? I personally become really focused on something when I start really concentrating on it. :lol

I kind of feel like following the top melody would be the easiest setting for the game. Even the easiest setting of EBA generally generates a touch set that isn't the main melody of the song, but it fits into the song. You can follow the percussion bpm or the bassline time signature or the backing guitar, or something else in other difficulties just as long as they build up to a more difficult swipe/touch set, making it harder almost like a curve. If they insisted on switching up the instrumentation pattern mid-BGM, then it would be okay if it was done in phases (because the themes do loop sometimes).

Look, I still like the game. There are just little personal annoyances that were adding up that simply snapped me out of the honeymoon phase a week ago. I'd certainly take a second Theatrhythm because I know they can improve upon the formula.

Edit: On-topic, mostly. Rainbow Shards are giving me nightmares. Urrrrgh...!

All of a sudden, the game started throwing high-level Dark Notes at me (maybe because of all the Ulimate Scores I've finished?), and boy, did I not expect the rotating arrows! I'm pleased that the game strives to maintain a gradually increasing challenge, though. 37 hours in and it's still enjoyable. Thanks to the people above for explaining how the Dark Note song and boss selection works, that will be helpful for obtaining more of the shards I desperately need, ha.

I wonder if Square would ever continue this franchise with a "Square Classics" follow-up (Chrono Trigger/Cross, Xenogears, etc.). The most likely candidate would be a Theatrhythm: Dragon Quest, but I'm not as familiar with that series' music.

I left my .xls at work, but I put my sixty Dark Notes into a spreadsheet today to play with some numbers and was kicked in the stomach. My goal is to find a Dark Note with Movement 10 (chiptunes, yay), but out of sixty Dark Notes, I've gotten the Final Fantasy III FMS zero times and the Final Fantasy II BMS has only shown up three times. I've gotten the Final Fantasy X FMS and Final Fantasy XIII BMS twelve times each.

I'm starting to wonder if there's something to how these are generated or if I've just had some, ahem, odd luck.

linko9

Whoa, just checked the DLC list here:

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Theatrhythm_Final_Fantasy

and see that only one song from FFVI has come out in Japan? That's pretty crazy, that game's got an amazing soundtrack, and it's very popular to boot. We at least need the Veldt overworld music. And also Gogo's theme. Is DLC still coming out weekly in Japan? Maybe there's still hope...

And only 2 songs from VII? I personally think that soundtrack's a bit weak, but you know you'd make a lot more money selling songs from that game. And why so many songs from X and XII? Got no problem with those soundtracks, but I don't consider them standouts for the series.

Yes, I know there are a disproportionate number of songs from 6 and 7 in the game, but still, pretty baffling.

Completed my first Ultimate -- FFXIII's Saber's Edge.

Probably the easiest out of all the Ultimates I tried. Only took me a few tries in practice to avoid dying. I got an S on a real game. It helps that the song kicks so much ass.

WatTsu

Finally got my copy of the game and I love it. I've finished 6, 7, and 10 and three or four Dark Notes. Really happy.

Plus I got the stylus and sticker set, so score.

Phew, finally SSS'd all the basic courses. Don't know if I have the patience to do them on higher difficulties, but I'll at least try. Seriously though, fuck EMS stages.

Jawmuncher

Finally got my copy a few days ago.
Absolutely love it, was also surprised that it came with the stylus.
Since I ordered it from Toys R us and it made no mention of it.

Been really loving my time with Theatrhythm. While the gameplay is a little shallow and its RPG elements aren't that fleshed out, the game makes up for with it's cutesy presentation and beats your average Final Fantasy fan over the head with a great nostalgia trip.

Asking everyone here, would you rather rent or buy this?

Completed my first Ultimate -- FFXIII's Saber's Edge.

Probably the easiest out of all the Ultimates I tried. Only took me a few tries in practice to avoid dying. I got an S on a real game. It helps that the song kicks so much ass.

Nice! If you think Saber's Edge is one of the "easier" Ultimates, then you're doing better than you think. :)

If I remember correctly, they were up by midnight eastern time last week.

I cannot. Freaking. Wait. To play FF XIII-2's "Etro's Champion" later tonight!

linko9

Phew, finally SSS'd all the basic courses. Don't know if I have the patience to do them on higher difficulties, but I'll at least try. Seriously though, fuck EMS stages.

Most EMS stages don't get any harder to SSS on Expert. FMS aren't bad either, but BMS get much harder to SSS, though IMO not quite as hard as most EMS, for completely different reasons.

I cannot. Freaking. Wait. To play FF XIII-2's "Etro's Champion" later tonight!

On second thought I think it was midnight pacific, I forgot what time zone I was in last week.

Most EMS stages don't get any harder to SSS on Expert. FMS aren't bad either, but BMS get much harder to SSS, though IMO not quite as hard as most EMS, for completely different reasons.

I actually think the most frustrating thing about it was having to play the same slow tempo beginnings over and over. Seriously, if I had to see Squall's shitty dancing accompanied by a circle moving at a snails pace 5 more times, I would have thrown something. So maybe I'll be able to tolerate it more when it needs my full attention right out the gate.

linko9

FF3 battle purchased :D love all the battle music from that game, and I'm currently replaying it.

edit: fuck it, got the ff7 one too

Purchased:
Etro's Champion aka Knight of the Goddess
Fight on! aka Those who fight further
FFXI Battle

Replace FFXI Battle with FFIII battle and I'm the same.

Surprisingly they threw in a song from XIII-2. Maybe we'll see more spin off music? Here's hoping for the battle themes from Mystic Quest.

Got them all. ;)

I don't get the order they have the songs displayed on the shop though, it's not by series, song type, or alphabetical, and they didn't even put the new songs at the top. (Plus, the just released songs weren't marked "New" like last week.) ?_?

Surprisingly they threw in a song from XIII-2. Maybe we'll see more spin off music? Here's hoping for the battle themes from Mystic Quest.
According to the Japanese releases, there's just one more sub-game song we have yet to get, from Type-0.

Though they currently have skipped over it in Europe, so I hope they aren't going to forgo it completely. Maybe they are saving it to line up with a US announcement for the game?[/wishful thinking]

Kind of disappointed that they didn't include FFMQ or FFT. Both had fantastic soundtracks. DLC perhaps? Looking forward to the Dragon Quest and Chrono versions!

Netto-kun

I didn't find the European DLC for this week in the OP, so quoting this post in case European people missed it.

This next set of European DLC has been announced.

Dungeon (FF02 - FMS)
Battle (FF06 - BMS)
The Dalmasca Estersand (FF12 - FMS)
Etro's Champion (FFS - BMS)

Looking at the Japanese list, we appear to be matching their schedule but with one track from the week ahead because Type-0's track got dropped.

Purchased Etro's Champion, Fight On!, and FF III Battle. I never played FF XI but listened to "Battle Theme" on YouTube, and I wasn't feeling it... same with the other FF XI DLC music so far. Pretty sure I'm going to end up with all the DLC except the FF XI stuff in the end... and maybe the FF XII stuff too, as I never warmed up to it.

Got this game yesterday, I'm not very far at all but I am enjoying it a lot. Right now I'm using Zidane (leader), Terra, Cloud, and Onion Knight. The first three because they are from some of the few FFs I've played, and the 4th because his fucking name is ONION KNIGHT. Do you guys have any tips for party creation?

As a pretty seasoned rhythm gamer, I'm finding the initial Series mode insanely easy, but I'm aware that the difficulty ramps up in other areas of the game. I played one Dark Note (can't remember the tracks) and it was much harder, so I'm looking forward to playing more of those.

zroid

Banned
Updated op with the new DLC and youtube links. The only one I couldn't find is FF II "Dungeon" for Europe, so if anyone manages to track that down...

Famassu

Is there any word on them potentially doing FF14 music? That game has some seriously hot tracks.
They've said that there's nothing planned because they feel FFXIV is not quite "ready" yet. They added that they might think about it again after V2.0 launches.

Nomura is Creative Producer on TRFF, he does what he wants.

Fair enough. I'm glad Somnus is in though (although being from the UK we don't have it yet) because it's a great track. I would love some XIV music though as that game does include a lot of great music. It's a shame that's the excuse they gave though.

Top Bottom