• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy |OT| Yes, "One-Winged Angel" is in! Quit asking!

I've discovered a new, deadly side effect of playing the crap out of Theatrhythm: I now want to replay various older FFs, especially IX, VIII, and VII... but I don't have nearly the time to. Blargh.

Actually, I want to replay FF X more than any of them, but I'm holding out for the HD re-release... whenever it gets here.

linko9

I started playing FFXI because of this game. Currently level 11, killing stuff in La Thiene Plateau.

I heavily considered that for a while, but luckily I snapped out of it. I'm just replaying older FFs instead. Also got XIII-2, reckon I'll play it soon. This game really does have that effect on you :D

Javier

One more unlocked character:
Yuna

This game gets is my choice of the year for the "Okay I'll just play one more level and holy shit it's 4AM already." award.

Pangya

2012-07-20%252023.33.49.jpg

Finally. Had a mental block where I would always get 1 bad towards the end of the song. Three more songs to go for the perfect chain ultimate trophy!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
My first Ultimate Score clear. Next time I won't use as many heal spells, but my god, I haven't felt a rush as big as this since realizing I could beat Jumping Jack Flash in EBA. Maybe now I can tackle Big Bridge...

Edit: I always underestimate how natural the progression in rhythm games feels. I remember trying out Big Bridge's Ultimate score early on and struggling to even make it to 1/4 of then song, yet a lot of those patterns come out a lot more naturally now.
SHOWOFF

Gilgamesh

Got this in the mail today. As usual I pretty much suck at rhythm games but I'm actually doing pretty good (comparatively) with this one because of how familiar I am with the songs. I wouldn't even mind doing bad. Listening to the great music of this series is its own reward.

Just played FFIV and I'm soooo much better at the newer songs. I don't have much experience with the NES entries. Too old school for me.

Noi

Got this in the mail today. As usual I pretty much suck at rhythm games but I'm actually doing pretty good (comparatively) with this one because of how familiar I am with the songs. I wouldn't even mind doing bad. Listening to the great music of this series is its own reward.

Just played FFIV and I'm soooo much better at the newer songs. I don't have much experience with the NES entries. Too old school for me.

I like the balance between the new and old entries. The new songs can change rapidly from one moment to the next, while the old songs have a simpler, more consistent beat that never changes, so they can go nuts with putting notes everywhere.

Still a couple of songs that I can't get into though, Fight with Seymour being one of them.

clemenx

Banned
Finally got this and absolutely love it, have been playing it nonstop for 2 days ^_^ it's the nostalgia overload I expected. I suck at rhythm games so this will keep me occupied for a while. I won't even think about doing anything in Ultimate... lol.

It's curious how I seem to do better with songs I'm not familiarized with. In the songs I love I don't always agree with where the triggers are put >_> so it throws me off, heh.

Javier

Finally got this and absolutely love it, have been playing it nonstop for 2 days ^_^ it's the nostalgia overload I expected. I suck at rhythm games so this will keep me occupied for a while. I won't even think about doing anything in Ultimate... lol.
See, I thought so too at first, but the learning curve is really good in this game so the harder stuff doesn't look too hard after playing a while, specially when you start spamming Dark Notes.

Oh, and one more character unlocked:
Faris

Vaati

Banned
So far I've been able to do all the EMS and FMS on Ultimate. I'm struggling on the BMS though. It's really neat to see how slowly Basic levels are though and realize how far I've come.

The Dark Notes are a lot of fun. I managed to beat a No.99 one.

I only have ~20 hours but I'm really enjoying it. It's perfect for short bust and long sessions. I think I played 3 hours today.

IrishNinja

this game is fantastic - i only hate it when i either hit "skip" by accident or it doenst register me holding down on the screen which i wanna blame my screen protector for.

i just hit 15k, and ive got zidane, terra, cecil & cloud at level 40 or so, but i don't know what im doing past failing at dark notes (i got a few from streetpasses & beat 12 so far but im stuck on this hard one...) and debating regrinding the main game naked for SS ranks.

1) how do i unlock the other characters? i have like 4 of the 8 crystals for some of them but do i just keep getting points and hope they unlock or what?
2) what else am i missing here? ive yet to beat a single boss (time runs out on me!), my friend said concentrate on the dark notes but im not getting anything special from them either.

Noi

1) how do i unlock the other characters? i have like 4 of the 8 crystals for some of them but do i just keep getting points and hope they unlock or what?
2) what else am i missing here? ive yet to beat a single boss (time runs out on me!), my friend said concentrate on the dark notes but im not getting anything special from them either.

1.) Dark notes. Boss #3 of each Dark Note has a near guaranteed chance of dropping shards for a crystal, play through Dark Notes until you find a boss that drops the shard you want and just farm that one. You occasionally get a random shard via Rhythmia, but you won't unlock the characters that way. To fight the #1 Boss, you have to not reach the Boss#2/Boss#3 sign in the FMS segment, and to fight Boss#2, you have to have about 75% or less HP left when you reach the third monster during the BMS.

2.) Unless you're beating the Expert and Ultimate scores in Challenge mode consistently, Dark Notes give more EXP in general than the other modes, in addition to more frequent item drops from the bosses.

If you have a Level 40 team and are having trouble killing Bosses with your current team, you might wanna consider equipping some of the Boss-damaging abilities like Omnislash, Soul Shift and Grand Lethal.

Edit: Yeah, don't do Dark Notes naked. The only places were score matters are in Series and Challenge mode, there's no point to the Stoic bonus during Dark Notes.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
this game is fantastic - i only hate it when i either hit "skip" by accident or it doenst register me holding down on the screen which i wanna blame my screen protector for.

i just hit 15k, and ive got zidane, terra, cecil & cloud at level 40 or so, but i don't know what im doing past failing at dark notes (i got a few from streetpasses & beat 12 so far but im stuck on this hard one...) and debating regrinding the main game naked for SS ranks.

Do not do dark notes naked, do lower level dark notes at least 5 levels below you. Equip skills that increase your str or magic, or says they proc on boss spawn. Always fail summons they take up too much time. Try to do as good as possible on the field mission you need to walk past the sign that says boss 2 or 3 in order to get to the 3rd boss who always drops 3 different kinds of shards.

farm the song til you get all your shards :)

I personally found lighting to be better than cloud due to her ultimate just giving her a flat out 75 attack and magic, zidane and cecil's 2 ults do more than enough dmg to finish off what ever boss pops up. Cloud is good though use who you like :p I find Zidane to be staple though not sure if who is in front has an effect on how fast they run on the field mode but if so keep zidane up front

Noi

Try to do as good as possible on the field mission you need to walk past the sign that says boss 2 or 3 in order to get to the 3rd boss who always drops 3 different kinds of shards.

I have a Dark Note with Kefka as the the #3 Boss where one of the drops wasn't a shard, but Ramuh's Magicite. That clown just wanted to piss me off. :|

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I have a Dark Note with Kefka as the the #3 Boss where one of the drops wasn't a shard, but Ramuh's Magicite. That clown just wanted to piss me off. :|

Maybe he did that cause you already had the color shard he would of dropped maxed out? o.o/

IrishNinja

ah, thanks guys! yeah, meant to say: im only doing naked runs in main game, never dark notes. how do you tell what level a dark note is at anyway? i guess i gotta work on getting to & beating bosses now.

also i imagine this has come up, but does anyone else run out of screen every now & again? man that sucks, like im supposed to hold & go lower but i cant.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
ah, thanks guys! yeah, meant to say: im only doing naked runs in main game, never dark notes. how do you tell what level a dark note is at anyway? i guess i gotta work on getting to & beating bosses now.

also i imagine this has come up, but does anyone else run out of screen every now & again? man that sucks, like im supposed to hold & go lower but i cant.

always tap the center of the screen, the game will lock on for you at the start of the press

I find playing this game with both hands and using my right thumb for presses and holds and my left thumb for slashes to be the easiest way to play as well. If a really fast part comes up I'll use the left thumb to tap in sequence with the right as well.

Kinda like playing bust a groove or ddr on a pad :3

Noi

I often gravitate my taps more on the right side of the screen, so I tend to screw up when right slide arrows show up cause I have no room to do so, heh.

You can tell what the level of the Dark Note is by it's Number at the beginning of the name. Whenever you get a new Dark Note, it's level is pretty much the average of your current party.

zohar

Neo Member
Alright.. I'm done with this game -_-; I am pretty sure I have exhausted all the fun out of it, lol. Last few trophies I'm missing are all multiplayer/streetpass related (PAX, maybe?)... and also that 100 hour trophy.

VetcY.jpg

hTjqb.jpg

lPpMO.jpg

Thoraxes

Alright.. I'm done with this game -_-; I am pretty sure I have exhausted all the fun out of it, lol. Last few trophies I'm missing are all multiplayer/streetpass related (PAX, maybe?)... and also that 100 hour trophy.

I feel so inadequate now.

IrishNinja

yeah, goddamn. good work man!

Try to do as good as possible on the field mission you need to walk past the sign that says boss 2 or 3 in order to get to the 3rd boss who always drops 3 different kinds of shards.

about this...im replaying the first dark note i have (no. 5, so level 5 then?), and even when i get a perfect string on the overworld level & pass the lvl 2 boss sign and all, said level ends and i fight the same guy in the next battle stage. what am i doing wrong here? most of my notes are criticals too, and id love to be looting 3 crystals each boss fight instead of 1...

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
yeah, goddamn. good work man!

about this...im replaying the first dark note i have (no. 5, so level 5 then?), and even when i get a perfect string on the overworld level & pass the lvl 2 boss sign and all, said level ends and i fight the same guy in the next battle stage. what am i doing wrong here? most of my notes are criticals too, and id love to be looting 3 crystals each boss fight instead of 1...

No I just ment they drop 3 types, although its possible to get 2, I havent gotten 3 at once yet. You need to just kill fast and efficent, this is another reason why I prefer lighting as she gets nice simple spells as well. But once you get your ultimate skills killing two bosses per run shouldnt be too hard specially if you intentionally fail a summon

Ah, there's stupid all characters max level trophy.

I was hoping to never, ever touch any of the VII, VIII or X characters.

Maybe I'll just skip that trophy.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

VetcY.jpg

hTjqb.jpg

lPpMO.jpg
Well...I assume yo got your money's worth!

I can't even beat some songs on ultimate and you're critting all of them?!?!?!?!/

MrDaravon

Hey Zohar for the trophy for filling the critical charts on all songs, do you have to do it for every difficulty on every song, or just do it once on any difficulty? That's what I'm working on right now.

Amir0x

Banned
Do not do dark notes naked, do lower level dark notes at least 5 levels below you. Equip skills that increase your str or magic, or says they proc on boss spawn. Always fail summons they take up too much time. Try to do as good as possible on the field mission you need to walk past the sign that says boss 2 or 3 in order to get to the 3rd boss who always drops 3 different kinds of shards.

heh i've been doing everything naked, i am going to go do this now

this game is reaaaally addicting

I'm not going to let Zohar's annihilation of the game take away the fact that I finally got ONE perfect chain on expert difficulty via Searching For Friends, this has made my day thus far.

All of a sudden the game is very much against dropping me my last Indigo Shard in favour of giving me bugger all instead, but they at least finally threw me the FF4 battle theme in dark notes, only for it to be my first encounter with the spinning notes, suffice to say I didn't get to hear it for very long.

Anyone have days where they find that they just suck more than they usually do? Today I'm struggling for some reason when generally I'm all right. It's weird...

Top Bottom