• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thinking Of Selling My PS5

pyroy-chinical-fat-aloy-meme-v0-9zsx9palf0pd1.jpg

Please be excited.

cover2.jpg

Trilobit

I love Sony 1st party games. God of War. Uncharted. Last of us (first 2 times it released). But there is NOTHING on the HORIZON I’m excited for. I’ve enjoyed some 3rd party stuff but thats about it. I don’t see ANY exciting Playstation stuff announced or coming anytime soon. (Metal Gear Solid Delta is the only thing keeping me interested right now).

The 30th anniversary PS5 editions got me excited to go back and play my PSOne games. Its going to take sony at least 1 year or more to rebound from this ridiculous games as a service initiative and I’m tired as hell from Horizon being forced down my throat over and over again.

My cousin was thinking about getting a PS5 (owns a PS4) and asked me what games are good on it. I didn’t have much to say that he couldn’t play on the PS4.

I’m thinking of selling my PS5 and buy it again in a year or two when some actual games come out I really want to play. By that time there will probably be a price drop too. Until then, I’ll stick with my Switch and look at the upcoming Switch 2.

Anyone else thinking this? Am I missing something here?

A great exclusive multiplayer game just arrived on Playstation!

giphy.webp

2ddab7250d4b768dbf40c8b0078548ee.jpg

Last edited:

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Just unplug it in your closet and don't think about it until a game your taste comes out. Why sell? It's so little money you'll just regret

For me PS4 didn’t get going until Uncharted 4 came out. The first few years of PS4 were a bit meh really apart from Bloodborne and MGS V (cross-gen).

There’s a few sequels I’m waiting on that will make or break PS5 for me…

GTA 6
Last of Us 3
Uncharted 5 (whoever’s developing)
Resident Evil 9 (& REX Engine)
Devil May Cry 6
Ace Combat 8

If these build on and improve over their PS4 equivalents then PS5 has potential to be the GOAT for me.
4 3rd party games

lifa-cobex

Thats the thing thats held this moment off for me so far. But I feel like the value will drop by the time we get the next batch of worthy AAA 3rd party games on it.

I feel like its just losing value. I’m thinking there will be bundles, price drops, special editions by the time enough games that are worth to own a PS5 comes out. It happens every generation. The difference is, I always had alot to look forward to thru-ought the years. Sony’s most exciting announcements this year has been hardware, not software.
Everything looses value as soon as it leave the shop.
However to rebuy something. The price will be marked up in order for the shop to make profit.

I tend to treat things for buying and reselling as some do with market shares. Buy low, sell high kinda thing.
I haven't bought a PS5 at all. However my theory is that if the Pro sells well then standard PS5's will probably be traded in and will sell less.
I might get one at the beginning of next year depending on the price.

If your going to sell then go for it. But you won't get much and equally buying it back later for the same if not more because of shop profit.

jburdick7

Neo Member
I sold mine to upgrade my 64gb Steam Deck to an OLED model and fund any PC purchases I wanted to make for this year. It sucked getting rid of all my physical games but I was in a similar boat - Sony had nothing I was interested in that I couldn’t also play on my PC.

I will say I’m gaming more than I did on my PS5 and it’s actually made it really easy to not buy things on launch. And for as powerful as my main rig is with an ultrawide monitor I still end up playing more on my Steam Deck. It’s a significantly better experience than my PS5 had become even with having to forgo physical games.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Buy a ps5 Pro trust me even when the ps6 launches in 3 years the cross gen from this gen to total ps6 will be very long if not forever. Those thinking ps6 will be 400 are going to be in for a real shock. Prices haven’t dropped on ps5 over the years in fact it went up!

That or buy a PC and play constant catchup for twice the cost of consoles. I have both love them both but just prefer the consoles lacking bullshit to game and hour or two.

I’m just saying ps5 games will get much better and a pro will probably be the only real opportunity to maintain 60fps going forward.

EverydayBeast

ChatGPT 0.1
Sold my ps5 I needed to pay an insane amount of taxes to the IRS but I would have stuck with the ps5 all gen, Sony is blowing it now with games but the final AAA games always seem to be there.

Buy a ps5 Pro trust me even when the ps6 launches in 3 years the cross gen from this gen to total ps6 will be very long if not forever. Those thinking ps6 will be 400 are going to be in for a real shock. Prices haven’t dropped on ps5 over the years in fact it went up!

That or buy a PC and play constant catchup for twice the cost of consoles. I have both love them both but just prefer the consoles lacking bullshit to game and hour or two.

I’m just saying ps5 games will get much better and a pro will probably be the only real opportunity to maintain 60fps going forward.
I know I’m on the opposite end of the spectrum here as a lot of people moving to PC. The PS5 Pro will probably be my main. I’m going to dump my 4090 PC as I just don’t use it / tired of messing around with settings etc. I just want to pick up a controller and have it work. I went back and tried recently to make it work with a wireless KBM to TV but found myself running into the same hiccups as usual. I will take the performance hit in most circumstances for convenience of not sitting at a desk etc.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I know I’m on the opposite end of the spectrum here as a lot of people moving to PC. The PS5 Pro will probably be my main. I’m going to dump my 4090 PC as I just don’t use it / tired of messing around with settings etc. I just want to pick up a controller and have it work. I went back and tried recently to make it work with a wireless KBM to TV but found myself running into the same hiccups as usual. I will take the performance hit in most circumstances for convenience of not sitting at a desk etc.
Kindred spirits I have a 4090 and while games play better I just don’t like constant tweaking and Messing with things with my game time. I’ve tried and there are some genres that are just better pc annd some better on consoles, but I keep going back to consoles. Maybe it’s an older gamer thing

Last edited:
I love Sony 1st party games. God of War. Uncharted. Last of us (first 2 times it released). But there is NOTHING on the HORIZON I’m excited for. I’ve enjoyed some 3rd party stuff but thats about it. I don’t see ANY exciting Playstation stuff announced or coming anytime soon. (Metal Gear Solid Delta is the only thing keeping me interested right now).

The 30th anniversary PS5 editions got me excited to go back and play my PSOne games. Its going to take sony at least 1 year or more to rebound from this ridiculous games as a service initiative and I’m tired as hell from Horizon being forced down my throat over and over again.

My cousin was thinking about getting a PS5 (owns a PS4) and asked me what games are good on it. I didn’t have much to say that he couldn’t play on the PS4.

I’m thinking of selling my PS5 and buy it again in a year or two when some actual games come out I really want to play. By that time there will probably be a price drop too. Until then, I’ll stick with my Switch and look at the upcoming Switch 2.

Why do that? You are just rewarding sony by buying it again and it's a waste of money. Just keep it. Also don't you have ps4 games on it too? Or did you keep your ps4?

I have 100s of ps4 games on my ps5. I also have 100s of switch and 1000+ pc games, and 60+xbox games. Point is I have a ton of games from buying them when they are on sale. That makes the backlog huge. Even if I don't buy a single ps5 game going forward I still have a ton to play. Also being married and having other hobbies shrinks your game time down between work and everything else.

Also--- why are you only focusing on ps5 1st party games. Astrobot was great and made me miss old Sony and a ton of great games, but many of them were 3rd party, and some of them are on ps5 (although they really should release all the ps1 games they had on ps3/vita , don't know why they are holding back on that. )

Did you play, Robocop, Dead space remake, Dead island 2, dragons dogma 2, calisto, Y's 9, Disgaea 7, re4 remake, cyberpunk, no mans sky, bg3, armored core 6, elden ring, demons souls, stellar blade, rise of ronin, visions of mana, hogawarts legacy?

Thats a lot of games, not counting indies that could be played. They aren't on the switch (my preferred platform). PS5 is much more than horizon or tlou. You wouldn't think so with state of plays or what not but its really more than that.
plus like I said the entire ps4 library.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
That could get you like 300 Steam games or 5 eshop games.

I'm buying Mechwarrior 5: Clans and Y's Nordics next month on Steam. The difference will go towards Avowed in February. As for the Nintendo credit, that will be put towards Super Switch launch titles. Pretty good haul for a worthless system I wasn't even using.

Last edited:

Fbh

Ps5 is a decent platform if you are going to use it as your main gaming device and play a mixture of third and first party games.
As a box to ONLY play first party exclusives on it's not really worth it IMO. The Sony first party output this gen has been pretty meh, they only release a couple of games a year and most of them will come to PC later anyway.

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member
Everything looses value as soon as it leave the shop.
However to rebuy something. The price will be marked up in order for the shop to make profit.

I tend to treat things for buying and reselling as some do with market shares. Buy low, sell high kinda thing.
I haven't bought a PS5 at all. However my theory is that if the Pro sells well then standard PS5's will probably be traded in and will sell less.
I might get one at the beginning of next year depending on the price.

If your going to sell then go for it. But you won't get much and equally buying it back later for the same if not more because of shop profit.
You also add the randomess of wear and tear and heat damage and treatment, it becomes more risky too, as well as SSD lifespan still being a bit of a question mark. Add possible inflation and yeah it’s really not going to save you any money….it’s a good choice if you really need money right now, don’t need to use it but still want it back; but in that case you could also just pawn it.

Last edited:

Esca

You're princely better if just keeping it. The way Sony has been there's a higher chance the price of the system will go up and not down as well.

I barely use my PS5 but will keep it for a few things that won't come out for PC or will have a long wait till PC version.

What else you have apart from Switch?

I mean you need at least 1 system apart from Nintendo system. Droughts can be real there.
All the retro consoles, switch Xbox series S ps5 and a PC which I don’t game on. I’m one of those psychopaths that plays a new game here and there, but always keeps replaying my favorites like uncharted metal gear Zelda Mario Halo classic resident evil god of war three etc.

Why do people do this all the time? Create pity threads when they're leaving the ecosystem, or leaving the forums for good etc.
The reason I made this thread is because I love gaming, and I want to be persuaded to keep it. I hate feeling like this and just want people who are excited about the PS5 to tell me why so I can get on the muthafukin hype train.

Go for it if thats what you want but personally, why bother if your only gonna buy it again later? Just keep it. I doubt you'll be saving much, maybe evem nothing at all because we might not get any price cuts. You might even have to pay more with the way sony are rolling these days.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The reason I made this thread is because I love gaming, and I want to be persuaded to keep it. I hate feeling like this and just want people who are excited about the PS5 to tell me why so I can get on the muthafukin hype train.
We are still getting plenty of great 3rd party games even if Sony’s first party don’t deliver.

This gen I’m playing more 3rd party than I did with Sony first party.

This isn't an airport, no need to announce your departure.

Neolombax

You already have a PS5, you're going to sell it for less than what you bought it for, and then you're going to re-buy it for a reduced price? This just means you're going to spend more than if you had just kept the PS5 in the first place?

Why?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Quit being a lazy ass who asks a forum these trivial questions.

One way is to be a man and an adult and continue to be a man. Never give up. Tweet about it too. Let the emotions go.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
You already have a PS5, you're going to sell it for less than what you bought it for, and then you're going to re-buy it for a reduced price? This just means you're going to spend more than if you had just kept the PS5 in the first place?

Why?
This. This reminds me of when I worked at GameStop. There was a guy who came in and sold his entire collection (360 and games). He was going on and on about how he was “done” and “stop playing games”. I don’t know if he just needed someone to listen to him? He didn’t get much cash for what he sold. Some time past and he was back. He came back with someone else and they were buying games.

I don’t get it and I don’t think I ever want to get it. I just recently customized my welcome screen and home icons.

As kids, we didn’t do this. That console could sit for months. We’d find something eventually. A guy who owns a mom and pop game store here in town told me it’s expected, especially when people need to pay rent or something else.

Yeah, you’re missing the fact that these consoles haven’t dropped in price in 4 years, and are unlikely to next year.

Just keep it and use it when the games you like come out. It’s not a crime to not play on it every day.
That’s right listen to this cute doggo. It knows what’s up. 🐾

But yeah hold on to it and wait until something comes out that you want to play.

As for a price drop? You might be waiting until next gen for that unfortunately. 🤷‍♂️

StereoVsn

Unless you have a PC, PS5 can play all PS4 and current gen games plus some PS1 and PS2 titles.

Even if there is not that much coming in from Sony that you are interested in, there are thousands of games to play still.

Personally I have a PC (and XSX for mainly BC), and I am not really looking forward to much from Sony 1st party, it there are so many games I can still play from PS4 AND PS5 era (some games I prefer on console for some weird reasons, lol), that there is no way I would want to sell PS5. Heck I would not even sell XSX due to OG Xbox, 360 BC and bunch of titles I have from Xbone era.

I sold mine a few months ago and bought a steam deck. I played more on the SD in 2 months than I did on PS5 for a year. I'll just wait for PS6 when all these uber games finally come out because this drip feed of cross-gen games that are all the same was enough for me.

I think you should go for whatever makes you happy. That said i will never understand why people sell consoles only to buy them again in a year or two. Specially in a time these things don’t go down in price.

Top Bottom