• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Three men gored at this years' Running of the Bulls

Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone who had the balls to run with the bulls, I can say that any criticism aimed at the runners is misguided at best. Mostly it's just jealousy. Being cheered as you enter that ring with bulls goring their way through people trying to get their way to you is something that I'll never forget.

No, I'm not jealous. I'm just against what happens to the bulls

Yeah I'm sure the bulls love it.

Love what man? What is this bullshit?

In the running of the bull, the bull is the one with superiority. He's the one capable of seriously injuring and killing someone, not the way around.

If you are mad at bullfighting, then be mad at bullfighting because that right there should be illegal. It's torture.

moggio

Banned
As someone who had the balls to run with the bulls, I can say that any criticism aimed at the runners is misguided at best. Mostly it's just jealousy. Being cheered as you enter that ring with bulls goring their way through people trying to get their way to you is something that I'll never forget.

Despair rather than jealousy.

It's great you find the goading and torture of an animal entertaining, but I don't get it myself.

Hey, at least you weren't hurt!

xenist

I have no problem with the running. I also have no problem with the runners getting wasted.

Bullfighting and its fans can go fuck themselves though.

pestul

Have you guys seen this youtube video? It shows the man in the OP being gored. It's not too graphic tbh. But it's a great video, it shows and explains what exactly happens before and after the running/bullfight. The most graphic part is when the bull get's stabbed multiple times in the neck and blood flows everywhere, blood is pouring out from the mouth etc. It's absolutely fucking horrible and should be banned imo. In the video it's also mentioned how much the "running of the bull" has been changed that it almost has no resemblance to Spanish culture. It's just there to attract tourists.

Preparation of the bullfighting in the ring:

- shaving down the horns to damage their spacial awareness, withouth anesthetics, it's extremely painful

- vaseline rubbed into the bull's eyes to distort his vision.

- tendons on the back of their necks being severed, so they can't lift up their head. (you can hear the bull cry, scream in pain in the video)
If all that is true.. I would root for the bull to kill the fucking bullfighters every single time.

snap0212

I've thought about this in the past and I just can't see anything good about this and none of the posts in here or other places have convinced me otherwise. To me it's straight up animal cruelty and nothing else.

dan2026

Forget the morons who get smashed, they deserve it.

Isn't this cruelty to the bulls?
Don't they intentionally antagonise them beforehand.

Edit: Reading more of this thread, this shit is absolutely sick.
How is not banned?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I afford these men the same level of symphaty as I will afford a matador when a bully skewer him.

Which is, little to none at all. Those things are cruel, stupid, and barbaric.

My heart goes to the families and love ones of the decease. Such an horrible way to die.

That being said, I really wish this and specially the Torero thing stops. I really wish people didn't kill bulls in an arena and I'm sure as he'll don't thinking a bull killing humans is some sort of compensation. Both things are a bit on the archaic side.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Yes, there's no million dollar payout or parade thrown in your honor. It's not pragmatic, not the sensible thing to do with your one chance at life. It's just you putting yourself in harm's way and trying to make it out alive, purely for the sake of it, and sometimes you take a goring to the balls.

It's not stupid, though. They're out there saying fuck it.

Sometimes things need doing.

Hell yeah, AND you made it into the ring.

I had begun researching it only shortly before the event this year, so I was too late to really make a go at it. I plan on making it into the ring no matter where I start. The running of the bulls is a legendary experience.

I also plan on going to La Tomatina. Fuck tomatoes and bulls.

AceOcelot

Not gonna lie, it's on my bucket list to take part in the running of the bulls. I thought it would be an exhilarating, fun tradition to participate in.

I didn't know it was met with so much negativity :(

Not gonna lie, it's on my bucket list to take part in the running of the bulls. I thought it would be an exhilarating, fun tradition to participate in.

It was an amazing experience. You better do it quick, before it's banned. And I'd skip the bullfight if I were you. It was my first and last. Just brutal.

23 runners hospitalized today. Wow.
http://www.voanews.com/content/twenty-three-hospitalized-at-spanish-bull-run/1701151.html

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
1769226_o.gif

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

People are equating it with the bullfighting, a separate practice that you don't need to condone or participate in in order to do the run (I did not go to any bullfights). The run is a free shot at defenseless humans. This has been pointed out many times here already and ignored by folks insistent on outrage.

love this stuff, love watching bullfighting as well. we have an arena here, 15 minutes away from my house, just had a race a couple of weeks ago.

g1_297.jpg

best were in Açores, they saw the tip of the bull's horns so it doesn't spike but it hurts like hell. wish i could again some day, it's hilarious. i mean, look at this shit:

old fuck gets bopped:
http://youtu.be/zW-0a2r8RuI?t=1m30s

planking gone wrong:
http://youtu.be/zW-0a2r8RuI?t=4m9s

look at this idiot, LOL:
http://youtu.be/jPWYiOqgpks?t=2m30s

ragdoll?
http://youtu.be/jldsCRJg7tY?t=2m50s

should've run, lady:
http://youtu.be/jldsCRJg7tY?t=5m19s

flash ko:
http://youtu.be/jldsCRJg7tY?t=5m57s

Kiraly

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
People are equating it with the bullfighting, a separate practice that you don't need to condone or participate in in order to do the run (I did not go to any bullfights). The run is a free shot at defenseless humans. This has been pointed out many times here already and ignored by folks insistent on outrage.

...correct me if I am wrong but, isn't bull running is merely a prelude to bullfighting? I mean, the exhausted bulls are then directed to the bullfighting arena, where then exhausted, confused bulls fight for their lives as men on horses run them in circles while repeatedly piercing them with knives called banderillas, until the animals are dizzy, weakened from blood loss and suffering agonizing pain.

The way you say it, it's like it's alright to participate in 60% of the ordeal so long as you don't get to participate in the 40%, even if that 40% is what naturally comes after the 60%.

But even if you ignore the bullfighting, now correct me again if I am wrong but, bulls are bred in fields and are not accustomed to the noise of the crowd or being surrounded by people. They are kept in crowded, dark enclosures, and when they are prodded onto the streets with electric shocks, they are momentarily blinded by the sunlight. They are terrified and are hit by runners with rolled up newspapers. The corners of the bulls' route are quite sharp, and the animals often lose their footing and slide into walls, breaking bones and injuring themselves.

All the bulls who slip and slide on the streets of Pamplona are running towards a bloody and horrific death in the bullring.

If people are "outraged", they do so with a good reason: it is basically animal torture for the sake of festivity and money.

Is there any chance this will be banned in the next 10-20 years? I know it is banned in Catalunya, but fuck they ain't even real Spaniards man you know

Oh, you know how this world is becoming... we should just change the name of this planet to Pussyland.
I don't see it being outright banned. But I wouldn't be surprised to see it softened up a little.

Instead of bulls running, it will be lambs.... that kind of thing.

moggio

Banned
Oh, you know how this world is becoming... we should just change the name of this planet to Pussyland.
I don't see it being outright banned. But I wouldn't be surprised to see it softened up a little.

Instead of bulls running, it will be lambs.... that kind of thing.

Would you take the place of the bull?

snap0212

This has nothing to do with being insistent on outrage. Sorry, but aside from "it's not the other thing" I really don't see any justification for doing it. Maybe I'm missing something, but it looks to me (and from what I've read so please correct me if I'm wrong) like it's a bunch of humans trying to get a kick out of pushing an animals buttons knowing they'll have the last laugh in the end.

I haven't found a source that says the bulls are doing this for fun (like other animals jump around and play, for example) so this influences my opinion of it as well. Sorry, but it really sounds like the bulls are being treated so they see no other way but to follow their instinct and this will ultimately lead to their death after they've provided enough fun for all the people involved. Again; if I'm wrong about this then I'd like to be corrected.

dan2026

Let me guess, you're a vegetarian.
Seriously, the majority of humans are carnivores, we play with our food.
Get over it.

Don't be a moron.

There is a massive difference between killing an animal for food and cruelly torturing a animal for sport.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Why is this a noteworthy experience? I got chased by my grandfather's cattle more than once when I was growing up and I had to jump through barbwire to escape. Seems weird that people want it to be something to do before they die.

partime

Don't be a moron.

There is a massive difference between killing an animal for food and cruelly torturing a animal for sport.

I'm sure the animals know a difference...

I remember living in Waterloo, Belgium watching Bull fights on the Sports channel. Always felt bad for the Bull, but as I grew older I ask myself why?

Honestly the Bull doesn't know the difference, as the cow or chicken we slaughter.
Is cutting a chickens head off and watching it run around frantically cruel too, since it's already dead?
Anyway have to go :)

moggio

Banned
I'm sure the animals know a difference...

I remember living in Waterloo, Belgium watching Bull fights on the Sports channel. Always felt bad for the Bull, but as I grew older I ask myself why?

Honestly the Bull doesn't know the difference, as the cow or chicken we slaughter.
Is cutting a chickens head off and watching it run around frantically cruel too, since it's already dead?
Anyway have to go :)

Wow. Cold.

Have you ever taken a psychopath test? I think you'd score highly.

IceCold

Is there any chance this will be banned in the next 10-20 years? I know it is banned in Catalunya, but fuck they ain't even real Spaniards man you know

It's banned there for political reasons not because they give a fuck about bulls.

F#A#Oo

Banned

But it leads to the bullfighting arena no?

Also aren't there various things like drugging them, pre-injuring and the severing of tendons etc and blinding them or gouging their eyes pre-run all part of it?

But it leads to the bullfighting arena no?

Also aren't there various things like drugging them, pre-injuring and the severing of tendons etc and blinding them or gouging their eyes pre-run all part of it?

Yes they do things like that. A healthy enraged bull would kill dozens of people on every San Fermin.

If people want to fight bulls let it be a fair fight.

inm8num2

Whenever I see or read these stories about bullfighters being horribly injured or even killed, I can't help but think, "What else did they expect to happen?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom