• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tim Burton on Why 'Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children' is Mostly White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empty

probably the stupidest way he could have phrased the 'ultimately this is my creative vision, i can't restrict that to a quota' argument that's always made

that said his actual issue beyond being bad at pr is the same as so many directors where it simply hasn't occurred to them that their characters and worlds wouldn't just obviously be white. this afflicts like most celebrated directors tbh.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Every movie he makes has at least 1 Native American though

Johnny-Depp-as-Tonto-Lone-Ranger-624x438.jpg

uuuuggggghhhhhhhghghghghghghhghsgjshgjlasdgklsdagskd jsjk

rulerk1

It's fiction so why does he default on white unless the book explicitly (I'm assumming it doesnt) states race? Wait is he normally like this?

I fucking love how he says this, when his Two-Face was going to be black.

What the fuck, Tim.

Did you literally just say all characters should be white by default? You have absolutely NO response to the fact that your only POC is literally an animal?

120v

i think he means, he considered the casting first and foremost, and the cast happened to be white. whereas most movies now have diversity at the forefront of casting decisions

but yeah bad way of putting it

Krejlooc

Banned
i think he means, he considered the casting first and foremost, and the cast happened to be white. whereas most movies now have diversity at the forefront of casting decisions

If you consider that his intended meaning, then I would digest his comment about blaxploitation to be where he thinks black actors belong?

"things either call for things, or they don’t" is on par with "we only have male characters because the story is about masculinity".

Matty77

Doesn't suprise me, just another piece of evidence to throw on the Tim Burton is a fraud pile.

He has always seemed fraudelant with his "oh I am spooky" routine, he proved through his interactions with Kevin Smith through a gossip column interaction that he is s fraud about comic books, so him being a fraud sbout diversity when he's always tried to put out and outsider aura as someone who's supposedly different is really just par for the course.

Yeah, but then he went on his rant about diversity in the Brady Bunch and about how blacksploitation was "great".

He could have listed examples from ANY of the films or TV shows where it made sense to cast on racial lines, but he went with the fucking Brady Bunch.

"things either call for things, or they don’t" is on par with "we only have male characters because the story is about masculinity".

It disgusts me that we view something as trivial as skin color (and to an extent, gender) an element that can make or break storytelling.

120v

If you consider that his intended meaning, then I would digest his comment about blaxploitation to be where he thinks black actors belong?

took it to mean it'd be silly to add diversity to a blaxploitation film for the sake of diversity. not that blacks should be relegated to that genre

Never heard of this book, but it reminds me of Xavier's institute for gifted youngsters, which in the 60s was all-white but by the mid 70s was full of characters from diverse backgrounds.

Literally, the Brady Bunch reference indicates that Tim Burton is stuck in the 60s.

Toxi

Banned
To be fair, Tim Burton is so stuck in his now stale "dark, quirky" aesthetic he might not be physically capable of filming any actor who's not sporting a pasty white face.

Seriously though, what a fucking awful answer.

Opa-Pa

Next thing he'll say his protagonists being super pale is some sort of white pride statement lmao.

Seriously I had never read an interview of this guy but now I won't watch any of his shit ever again. What an asshat.

Krejlooc

Banned
took it to mean it'd be silly to add diversity to a blaxploitation film for the sake of diversity. not that blacks should be relegated to that genre

Uh, he contrasted his opinion by saying it'd be silly to add characters of color to the brady bunch. And his example of needless diversity was adding white people to a genre of film created literally to exploit black people.

Sounds as clear of a "these people belong here, these other people belong here" argument as can be.

And, again, most worrying is that he seems to be calling blaxploitation great, like it is a legitimate film genre in the first place. The last place we should be looking for cues on proper discussions on diversity is fucking blaxploitation films.

Anarky

Banned
This is why you need to be made aware of your biases because otherwise you rationalize them like..

Like, OK, let’s have an Asian child and a black. I used to get more offended by that than just... I grew up watching blaxploitation movies, right? And I said, that’s great. I didn’t go like, OK, there should be more white people in these movies."

this.

120v

Uh, he contrasted his opinion by saying it'd be silly to add characters of color to the brady bunch. And his example of needless diversity was adding white people to a genre of film created literally to exploit black people.

Sounds as clear of a "these people belong here, these other people belong here" argument.

adding PoC to Brady Bunch for the sake of PoC's being there makes the characters token. i'm with him on that's more offensive, assuming that's what he's getting at

And, again, most worrying is that he seems to be calling blaxploitation great, like it is a legitimate film genre in the first place. The last place we should be looking for cues on proper discussions on diversity is fucking blaxploitation films.

then i assume you find Tarantino worrisome too?

Krejlooc

Banned
adding PoC to Brady Bunch for the sake of PoC's being there makes the characters token. i'm with him on that's more offensivee, assuming that's what he's getting at

blaxploitation is a genre built entirely off of tokenism. Considering blaxploitation a legitimate film genre in the first place is supporting cultural tokenism. He gets offended at token characters being added to the brady bunch, then goes off to call blaxploitation fine, particularly because it doesn't mix the colors.

Fuck that.

then i assume you find Tarantino worrisome too?

Ah, whataboutism. Never fails to show up in these threads.

2MF

As usual, what I think here is: it's his movie, he can do whatever the fuck he wants with it.

If he wants to make everyone blue, or pink, or white or black or grey with strawberry patterns all over, let him.

Krejlooc

Banned
As usual, what I think here is: it's his movie, he can do whatever the fuck he wants with it.

If he wants to make everyone blue, or pink, or white or black or grey with strawberry patterns all over, let him.

It isn't, however, his story.

Slayven

He is the one trying to justify it with bullshit racism

This movie would have come out, flopped and no one would remember it in 6 months.

But he had to go and make it an issue

Oersted

Okay, who of you made 2MF believe we didn't let him?

Dali

I never realized Tim Burton was so much like another director I sometimes like, Wes Anderson.

I think at least in most of wes' movies he has an excuse. I have the feeling Timmy is just not very visionary and is stunted to the point that he can only see a key black role as one of the villain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom