• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tim Burton on Why 'Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children' is Mostly White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaph

So because he didn't ask where the white people were in a tiny niche subgenre, we shouldn't ask where the poc's are in the majority of films produced?

Slayven

Dumb question but, I'm not familiar with The Brady Bunch (I know of it, but never watched it), DID they add POC characters to the show or was he just giving a hypothetical scenario? I'm just trying to understand if he was getting mad at a poorly written character/s on that show or if he's just assuming adding a POC character would instantly label them an awful token character.

It sucks either way, and this is the first I heard about the diversity of the source material being drastically reduced for the film. man I was already lukewarm toward the film, definitely passing on it now.

During it last season BB did add a poorly written shoehorned in character. This was him

waste-of-food.jpg

One of the most hated characters in tv history

Dead

well not really...yet
Irony is that this is probably his most diverse movie ever

no Depp or Bonham Carter

It is kind of ironic that he brought up blaxploitation films as part of his defense since, one of the reason that genre was born was because of a lack of diversity in Hollywood in the first place. What a dumbass

During it last season BB did add a poorly written shoehorned in character. This was him

waste-of-food.jpg

One of the most hated characters in tv history

Huh...

With his comment I was imagining something akin to a really forced character in the vein of Jimmie Walker on Good Times (again, never watched it, but know of it) but it turns out they DID shoehorn a character into the show just not a token character. Thanks for the info.

Toxi

Banned
Tim Burton said:
I remember back when I was a child watching The Brady Bunch and they started to get all politically correct.
I just want to remind people that Tim Burton seriously thinks The Brady Bunch got "all politically correct".

The Brady Bunch.

Dig dat hole.

Why wouldn't he just say "It wasn't intentional" and leave it at that, or just refuse to answer the question. It would have been better than whatever that was supposed to be.

xevis

Banned
I feel like he was tryyyyyying to say that putting in "token" characters of other races is insulting but

uh

i mean i'm trying to be generous here, but ah, fuck it

Would it make any difference if he was trying to say that? It's bullshit no matter how you look at it. Like, oh, the default for film characters should be white, unless they're exceptionally well realised, in which case more diversity is acceptable. The entire argument is premised on an artificial and arbitrary barrier to inclusion and it's bullshit.

Toxi

Banned
Next we're gonna see Tim Burton saying a show like Full House could have never been made in today's politically correct climate.

AlexBasch

Man, I hated Tim Burton for his movies and now I have a justified reason to call him a piece of shit.

What a fucking idiot.

The pilot episodes of the original Star Trek had an all white cast.

The one we all know is much better.

And to think the studio execs thought it was crazy to have a WOMAN in charge.

? What's wrong with that? Black and White are political correct. Those are the only colors that are acceptable to use.

Pretty sure saying "a black" comes off as demeaning like they're an object that's less than human. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Litan

? What's wrong with that? Black and White are political correct. Those are the only colors that are acceptable to use.
'A black' and 'the blacks' are red flags. Its racists or really ignorant people you'll hear use those words like that.

Sonicbug

Burton's response is uniquely idiotic, he had chances to diversify the cast and didn't, that's all he had to say. I don't think the book had anyone in it that was anything but some variation of white, though. At least the graphic novel doesn't depict any of them as people of color either.

Oh okay, good to know a movie has to "call for" diversity for there to be a diverse cast. Apparently general representation isn't fucking good enough.

Dram

Dumb question but, I'm not familiar with The Brady Bunch (I know of it, but never watched it), DID they add POC characters to the show or was he just giving a hypothetical scenario? I'm just trying to understand if he was getting mad at a poorly written character/s on that show or if he's just assuming adding a POC character would instantly label them an awful token character.

From looking at the show's wiki, it looks like those kids were only in one episode of the last season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Brady_Bunch

Kelly's Kids

A final-season Brady Bunch episode, "Kelly's Kids", was intended as a pilot for a prospective spin-off series of the same name. Ken Berry starred as Ken Kelly, a friend and neighbor of the Bradys', who with his wife Kathy adopted three orphaned boys of different racial backgrounds. While Kelly's Kids was not subsequently picked up as a full series, producer Sherwood Schwartz would rework the basic premise for the short-lived 1980s sitcom Together We Stand starring Elliott Gould and Dee Wallace.

Yeah, I get that this guy said some stupid things but can we really be so harsh on the mastermind behind such classics as 2001's Planet of the Apes? I don't think so.

What a cunt. I just can't even fathom this level of stupidity.

"A black"
Yeah. I do hear a lot of Americans say 'blacks' and 'whites' though and those does sound weird to my ears (UK), like, I'd never say 'blacks' I'd say 'black people'. It's kind of like the difference between saying 'he's as Jew' and 'he's Jewish', something is lost in the lack of 'people' and '-ish' for me. I know some people who live near me have said the same but we may just be being weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom