• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time to eat crow regarding "Guardians of the Galaxy"

Status
Not open for further replies.
The rest of the shots look fine, but this one looks really odd. I think it's how the way the ship is positioned in the foreground combined with the background makes it look like a green screen (Even though the ship is probably CGI too).

Eh, I don't see it. Looks fine to me.

ReiGun

I still don't get why Rocket and Groot were supposed to make this a hard sell to people. A talking raccoon and tree are hardly the strangest things movies have asked us identify with. As for the obscurity of the property, that shit only matters to folks on the internet and people in boardrooms. Most normal folk just decide based on word of mouth and how good the advertising is.

Just two weird narratives surrounding this movie that no doubt led to people making the predictions they made.

Blader

Those make sense, most are ingrained in American popculture,
Who the fuck besides an extreme niche of even comic fans knew of GotG?

Marvel knows what they are doing.

When a lot of these movies do a ton, if not most, of their business overseas, I don't think this excuse really works anymore.

Dalek

It's so mind blowing to me the people that don't recognize that Iron Man and Thor was practically unknown to the general public until their movies came out. Captain America was more or less a laughing stock. Now after their movies are hits, people pretend they were always popular. Marvel Studios making the first Iron Man was a huge gamble because they film rights had been at New Line Cinema for years and nothing happened with them, because there was zero faith in the property.

Iron Man and Cap really weren't until their films hit, and Cap2 and IM3 literally doubled the box office gross of their prequels. Edit: Thor was also fairly obscure for a marvel hero.

at this point the MCU and comics themselves are mainstream. the "marvel" tag alone is going to bring a ton of people out.

Plus the MCU is all connected so people don't want to miss a movie because they might "miss something".

It truly is a cinematic comic universe and it's wicked smart.

Going forward, unless the film is an absolute stinker it will perform ok for that reason, IMO.

It's so mind blowing to me the people that don't recognize that Iron Man and Thor was practically unknown to the general public until their movies came out. Captain America was more or less a laughing stock. Now after their movies are hits, people pretend they were always popular. Marvel Studios making thr first Iron Man was a huge gamble because they film rights had been at another company for years and nothing happened with them, because there was zero faith in the property.

Was Captain America a laughing stock? I thought that was Thor (and even then I never saw either as coming close to something like Aquaman).

I'm hip to this nerd stuff and I probably couldn't tell you what Iron Man's real name was before the movie. Just eat your crow guys, GotG was great and Marvel will print money for the rest of my life.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Those make sense, most are ingrained in American popculture,
Who the fuck besides an extreme niche of even comic fans knew of GotG?

This is why people thought GotG was going to bomb. That and the "film" buffs that don't like the way certain things are filmed/etc. but mostly that.

So...

Marvel knows what they are doing.

Indeed. Means people that think "Antman" is going to "bomb" are a little crazy now that GotG shows that unknowns can be success stories.

LProtag

Marvel's a brand name in movies now and people are going to want to see anything they put out.

I don't get why people don't understand that.

Plus the MCU is all connected so people don't want to miss a movie because they might "miss something".

It truly is a cinematic comic universe and it's wicked smart.

Going forward, unless the film is an absolute stinker it will perform ok for that reason, IMO.

Almost certainly. Cap2 and IM3 **definitely** got a boost from Avengers massively overperforming, there's no doubt about that.

I brought up pixar earlier, because like the early output of that studio it's currently VERY difficult to see how Marvel puts out a bad film from this point on. They're turning D-list franchises no one wants or has even heard of into cinematic gold.

DC's track record is absolutely horrific in comparison. They have as many misses and failures (Jonah Hex, Green Lantern, Superman Returns, Batman and Robin) as successes. Marvel is 10 films in since 2008, and the weakest movie they made is incredible hulk- which is still a very good film compared to the industry average.

Sheroking

Was Captain America a laughing stock? I thought that was Thor (and even then I never saw either as coming close to something like Aquaman).

Well, none of those characters were taken seriously by a non-comic reading audience until their movies.

I actually include Iron Man in that too. He was B-tier until RDJ.

Almost certainly. Cap2 and IM3 **definitely** got a boost from Avengers massively overperforming, there's no doubt about that.

I brought up pixar earlier, because like the early output of that studio it's currently VERY difficult to see how Marvel puts out a bad film from this point earlier. They're turning D-list franchises no one wants or has even heard of into cinematic gold.

DC's track record is absolutely horrific in comparison. They have as many misses and failures (Jonah Hex, Green Lantern, Superman Returns, Batman and Robin) as successes. Marvel is 10 films in since 2008, and the weakest movie they made is incredible hulk- which is still a very good film compared to the industry average.

are we pretending Iron Man 2 and both Thor movies don't exist?

if so I guess I'm cool with that

Well, none of those characters were taken seriously by a non-comic reading audience until their movies.

I actually include Iron Man in that too. He was B-tier until RDJ.

this is all anecdotal, but to me it always just seemed like people just didn't care that much. if the movie looks good, they'll go see it, but I never knew anyone who thought a Captain America or Iron Man movie seemed so ridiculous that they'd avoid seeing it. it just had to get good enough word of mouth to convince them. they were risky, sure, but I think "they were laughing stocks, no one took them seriously" is just as revisionist as "Iron Man was popular, of course it was going to be a hit". I think with a lot of Marvel characters people don't have strong feelings either way.

MisterHero

It's so mind blowing to me the people that don't recognize that Iron Man and Thor was practically unknown to the general public until their movies came out. Captain America was more or less a laughing stock. Now after their movies are hits, people pretend they were always popular. Marvel Studios making thr first Iron Man was a huge gamble because they film rights had been at another company for years and nothing happened with them, because there was zero faith in the property.
Comic books collapsed and Marvel was broke in 90s so it's not like they could afford to do all the things they're doing now. And since Disney/Marvel don't have the movie rights to certain characters, they're gonna try and ignore them in comics/merchendising. I hate those kinds of studio politics. Oh well though.

It helped that Cap2 was an actual good movie. A great action movie with scifi and superheroes thrown in.

I cannot say as much for the rest of Marvel's lineup. At least they're fun though (mostly).

Riposte

1406833176597tqu2d.gif

Let this be a lesson on why "buh I never heard of 'em" isn't a valid argument.

ReiGun

Indeed. Means people that think "Antman" is going to "bomb" are a little crazy now that GotG shows that unknowns can be success stories.

You'd think Iron Man would have shown that, but I suppose we're now firmly rewriting history so that Iron Man was always this super popular and beloved character the world over.

There are people who really think those are good movies.

I don't get it either, man.

Iron Man 2 has a 73% rating on rotten tomatoes, and made $600 million dollars.
Thor 1 has a 77% rating and made $450 million.
Thor 2 has a 69% rating and made $644 million.

These are not bad movies by any stretch of the imagination. Compare to the films I listed that are DC's bottom of the barrel-

Jonah Hex: 12% rating.
Green Lantern: 26% rating.
Batman and Robin: 11% rating.

Superman returns was received well critically (76%), but under performed expectations at $391 million- significantly worse than Thor 1, who was virtually unheard of when the movie launched.

ReiGun

Hey, the first Thor IS good!

I mean, I guess. I didn't regret watching it on HBO, at least.

These are not bad movies by any stretch of the imagination. Compare to the films I listed that are DC's bottom of the barrel-

Superman returns was received well critically (76%), but under performed expectations at $391 million- significantly worse than Thor 1, who was virtually unheard of when the movie launched.

This only works if you believe rotten tomatoes and box office take to be the word of God.

Which I don't. All of those movies suck. :p

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
First thing that came to mind when I saw the trailer was "this looks stupid" and "ugh, not that song again."

Now, I'm dying to see this movie. I'm hyped and I expect it to be really good. I still stand by my "ugh, not that song again" comment although. :p

they're competently made and make money, sure. I just think calling Marvel's weaker movies very good, and comparing them to Pixar's early output, is being way too generous.

Fox Mulder

I wouldn't look down on people that thought this would struggle, it's a comic book no ones ever heard of.

marvel is doing amazingly with their second and third string guys, while xmen and Spiderman are struggling with mediocre movies under Fox and Sony.

G-Fex

I guess it's cause it's a new thing and people want to see something new I guess? Something not a known sequel.

ReiGun

As a matter of fact, TMNT is the perfect example for why the "Rocket Raccoon and Groot are too weird" argument was built on shaky ground. Hollywood has gotten general audiences to empathize with four anthropomorphic kung fu reptiles and their rat sensei. People really Rocket and Groot were going to be a stretch for folks? Really?

Who started this dumbass narrative and why did we all agree to follow them off that cliff?

Abounder

Banned
marvel is doing amazingly with their second and third string guys, while xmen and Spiderman are struggling with mediocre movies under Fox and Sony.

I thought DOFP was received well by critics and fans. ASM2 was definitely mediocre at best though. It would be amazing to see GOTG beat Spidey worldwide since he used to be the no.1 box office hero

Deadstar

I guess it's cause it's a new thing and people want to see something new I guess? Something not a known sequel.

Exactly. Yes the known quantities are...well, known but no one is going to see Iron Man 23. The same thing just gets boring. People want to see new things and how does a talking raccoon not look interesting? The reason I see movies is to see things that aren't possible in real life. Groot and rocket look amazing and I wanted to see the movie without knowing anything about guardians.

G-Fex

Exactly. Yes the known quantities are...well, known but no one is going to see Iron Man 23. The same thing just gets boring. People want to see new things and how does a talking raccoon not look interesting? The reason I see movies is to see things that aren't possible in real life. Groot and rocket look amazing and I wanted to see the movie without knowing anything about guardians.

Yeah they want something different something fresh I suppose. I bet a lot of people liked the space scenes from the Avengers.

tumblr_inline_mw8xpoKZfN1qhqb9q.gif

I hope I never get to the point where I'm combing through threads from two years ago stalking for 40 quotes I can rub in peoples faces so that I can feel like a proper internet warrior.

However more on the topic at hand, I had no idea whether this movie would do well at the box office or not. No expectations. This one really came out of left field. I'll probably go see it later tonight. I don't know how well I'll take a talking raccoon but I'm told everything will be fine. It looks fun. Pretty, too.

they're competently made and make money, sure. I just think calling Marvel's weaker movies very good, and comparing them to Pixar's early output, is being way too generous.

not really. Why would you only compare marvel's WEAKER output to Pixar's early catalogue, while ignoring the successes?

Marvel is 10 films in. Those ten films are:

Iron Man
Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 2
Thor
Captain America: First Avenger
Avengers
Iron Man 3
Thor: The Dark World
Captain America: Winter Soldier
Guardians of the Galaxy

Pixar's first 10 films were:

Toy Story
A Bug's Life
Toy Story 2
Monster's Inc
Finding Nemo
The Incredibles
Cars
Ratatouille
Wall-E
Up

Between the two, there's not a ton of daylight. Neither have ANY bad films in that ten film stretch, and even the weakest (Hulk and Thor 2 for marvel, Cars for pixar) are still pretty well received. On the high end, Winter Soldier, Avengers, Iron Man, and Guardians of the Galaxy have universal acclaim and scores in the mid to high 90s, and no one can really argue that Avengers has changed the way people are making movies- the "connected universe" concept has since spread to Fox, Warner, and Sony since launch.

I'm not going to argue which is better, but I think there's a good chance there will be some comparison further down the line.

It's okay. Thor 2 is aggressively bad though

Dark Elves don't have faces. They wear helmets that look like faces.

??

malekith-thor-the-dark-world.jpg

they don't?

MisterHero

Marvel is making a movie with a talking raccoon and DC can't even get a Wonder Woman movie made!
There's a current thread on GAF with Marvel's movie showrunner saying they don't know how to work in more female characters. They're just being stupid at this point.

People love talking animals. If I made the Flash movie I'd use Gorilla Grodd!

Finaika

There's a current thread on GAF with Marvel's movie showrunner saying they don't know how to work in more female characters. They're just being stupid at this point.

People love talking animals. If I made the Flash movie I'd use Gorilla Grodd!

People love women too.

ZeroGravity

Marvel also doesn't have a female led movie yet.
If Wonder Woman was a Marvel character she'd already have a movie. No female character in the Marvel universe even comes close to having the same level of pop culture relevance as Wonder Woman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom