• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time to eat crow regarding "Guardians of the Galaxy"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hagi

She's Captain Marvel now, but yes. Give me that Carol Danvers.

ItsHotInHEre.gif

I am in love with her.

Hopefully it's not as dull as her ongoing. Also needs some extra Jessica Drew.

Hopefully it's not as dull as her ongoing. Also needs some extra Jessica Drew.
Is there some difference between the the previous ~20 issue run and the new one? Cause I haven't gotten to the new one yet but I enjoyed the writing in the first so much that I put with Andrade's truly horrendous art.

Busty

Banned
What did you have to do with the film Dalek? I'm assuming you were some integral part of the film (writer, producer, actor) because it would be weird if you were a fan and decided to put together an OP like this.

Hagi

Is there some difference between the the previous ~20 issue run and the new one? Cause I haven't gotten to the new one yet but I enjoyed the writing in the first so much that I put with Andrade's truly horrendous art.

Nope it's still Kelly Sue as far as i know it's just outside of the first arc i thought it was pretty boring. Sacrilege to some but i enjoyed her Ms Marvel ongoing that went through Civil War/Secret Invasion a great deal more. The Captain Marvel costume is awesome though aside from the stupid helmet.

Dalek

Wow at all the cinematography salt. I thought, aside from a few scenes, it was shot beautifully.

Opinions, man.

*Shrugs*. Looks like a TV Show, right?

cinematography noun (Concise Encyclopedia)
Art and technology of motion-picture photography. It involves the composition of a scene, lighting of the set and actors, choice of cameras, camera angle, and integration of special effects to achieve the photographic images desired by the director. Cinematography focuses on relations between the individual shots and groups of shots that make up a scene to produce a film's effect.

Dalek

What did you have to do with the film Dalek? I'm assuming you were some integral part of the film (writer, producer, actor) because it would be weird if you were a fan and decided to put together an OP like this.

The best part is that I'm in IT, a job where there is regular "downtime" so to speak. So in the 20-30 minutes it took me to do an Advanced Search in NeoGaf for "Guardians of the Galaxy" thread titles, and then quote posts that stood out...I was getting paid.

I thought the cinematography was fine, sure it was nothing special but in my opinion it wasn't "bad" like some people are (Arrogantly) claiming as if it was an undeniable fact. The film itself was beautiful in my opinion, I loved all the colors, the look of the cities, and the overall style. I just wanna fly around in a spaceship in that universe after watching it.

The best part is that I'm in IT, a job where there is regular "downtime" so to speak. So in the 20-30 minutes it took me to do an Advanced Search in NeoGaf for "Guardians of the Galaxy" thread titles, and then quote posts that stood out...I was getting paid.

This is indeed a sweet deal.

Dalek

It doesn't look like a "TV show"(this makes no sense as an insult anymore, a TV show like Mad Men has magnificent photography), but it's nothing special.

For sure-I agree too. I think it looked great (as do many TV shows: Hannibal, Mad Men, etc), but I can see that it's nothing "Special"-it's just not bad as the put down "TV Show" seems to indicate.

Gartooth

I'm glad the movie turned out great and found an audience to support it. This'll open the door to a lot of riskier ventures in the future which is great for Marvel fans. :)

jett

D-Member
For sure-I agree too. I think it looked great (as do many TV shows: Hannibal, Mad Men, etc), but I can see that it's nothing "Special"-it's just not bad as the put down "TV Show" seems to indicate.

It's really totally fine.

f0lken

It doesn't look like a "TV show"(this makes no sense as an insult anymore, a TV show like Mad Men has magnificent photography), but it's nothing special.

but it not being something special also doesn't mean bad cinematography

BTW I always was a believer, hopefully this success bring us more cosmic properties from marvel, its a shame the Fantastic Four remain on Fox, I don't like them, but they have some big cosmic IPs on there that sadly we won't see in cinema in a long long time.

I really didn't think anyone besides the most hardcore comic fans would give a shit.

Marvel handled this IP like masters, as I read somewhere they didn't have to market this for hardcore comic fans, the simple fact that a movie of GotG was made is enough, Marvel didn't need to do any more marketing for them, so they filled the trailers with pop references, appealing to nostalgia with the soundtrack and all sort of things the mainstream audience love, and if on top of that the movie is good, then you have a winning formula.

I really didn't think anyone besides the most hardcore comic fans would give a shit.

It's the 21st Century.

Iron Man: $585,174,222
The Dark Knight: $1.005 billion
Avengers: $1,518,594,910
Thor 2: $644.8 million
Iron Man 2: $623,933,331
Iron Man 3:$1,215,439,994
Captain America: Winter Soldier: $713.2 million
Man of Steel: $668,045,518
Xmen: Days of Future Past: $739,709,253

Everyone is a comics fan. Nerds have won.

edit: Jesus christ @ Captain America > Superman. Zero to Hero indeed.

MIMIC

Banned
It's a pretty bold move to offer predictions on a movie after it's opened

I'm not offering a prediction; just saying that it's not my cup of tea. Could do amazing, could bomb. I don't know anything about this movie or the people in it (or its fanbase).

If it does well, then good for the movie and its fans.

Blader

I'm not offering a prediction; just saying that it's not my cup of tea. Could do amazing, could bomb. I don't know anything about this movie or the people in it (or its fanbase).

If it does well, then good for the movie and its fans.

That's my point though: it's not going to bomb. Suggesting it could as we literally watch it gross, right now, an over $90 million opening weekend is kind of ridiculous.

also, you're clearly not the only person to not know anything about the movie, the people in it, or its fans, but a movie like this doesn't make that much money in that short period of time on fanbase alone. How would you know it's not your cup of tea if, by your own admission, you don't know anything anything about it?

Toxi

Banned
The rest of the shots look fine, but this one looks really odd. I think it's how the way the ship is positioned in the foreground combined with the background makes it look like a green screen (Even though the ship is probably CGI too).

MisterHero

Did anyone go on record saying they thought Batista would be anything but terrible? I remember nothing but negativity when his casting was announced, and he defied those expectations.
There were people probably doubting the Batista Bomb since his return to WWE. He's smaller than he was before and seemed kinda tired. Movie magic can deal with those easily.

I still think he's cool though!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Dang, I should have posted in one of the old treads how I have no familiarity with these characters and how every new picture or trailer I saw made me more excited.

people who still make the "looks like a TV show" comment need to find a new meme

it's kind of lazy

the TV show thing, like people said, doesn't make sense when Utopia, True Detective and Mad Men are on screens

MIMIC

Banned
That's my point though: it's not going to bomb. Suggesting it could as we literally watch it gross, right now, an over $90 million opening weekend is kind of ridiculous.

also, you're clearly not the only person to not know anything about the movie, the people in it, or its fans, but a movie like this doesn't make that much money in that short period of time on fanbase alone. How would you know it's not your cup of tea if, by your own admission, you don't know anything anything about it?

OK, cool. The movie's doing well. I wasn't aware.

As for what I bolded: the trailers are a real turn off. Every time I see them, I think, "I never want to see this."

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I didn't say much to eat crow about, but I am surprised by how it's done.

I guess Disney's marketing works a treat... Because GOTG really doesn't have much built-in audience at all (relative to the masses of movie watchers)

Toxi

Banned
I didn't say much to eat crow about, but I am surprised by how it's done.

I guess Disney's marketing works a treat... Because GOTG really doesn't have much built-in audience at all (relative to the masses of movie watchers)
I feel that should have been clear after Thor and Captain America, which weren't really big in the public eye in the same way as Spider-Man before their blockbuster movies.

Seriously? Seriously?

uh...yeah? Winter Soldier, Avengers, and now GOTG have not only massive, massive box office performance but nigh-universal critical acclaim. Even marvel's weak output (Incredible Hulk) is still miles above industry average.

OK, cool. The movie's doing well. I wasn't aware.

As for what I bolded: the trailers are a real turn off. Every time I see them, I think, "I never want to see this."

Please, tell us more about how you didn't read the very first line of the OP.

It's the 21st Century.

Iron Man: $585,174,222
The Dark Knight: $1.005 billion
Avengers: $1,518,594,910
Thor 2: $644.8 million
Iron Man 2: $623,933,331
Iron Man 3:$1,215,439,994
Captain America: Winter Soldier: $713.2 million
Man of Steel: $668,045,518
Xmen: Days of Future Past: $739,709,253

Everyone is a comics fan. Nerds have won.

edit: Jesus christ @ Captain America > Superman. Zero to Hero indeed.

Those make sense, most are ingrained in American popculture,
Who the fuck besides an extreme niche of even comic fans knew of GotG?

Marvel knows what they are doing.

Those make sense, most are ingrained in American popculture,
Who the fuck besides an extreme niche of even comic fans know GotG?

Iron Man and Cap really weren't until their films hit, and Cap2 and IM3 literally doubled the box office gross of their prequels. Edit: Thor was also fairly obscure for a marvel hero.

at this point the MCU and comics themselves are mainstream. the "marvel" tag alone is going to bring a ton of people out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom