• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tinder (i.e., OkCupid meets Hot or Not)

Edwardo

eZJl9dy.png

lol

So I read the workaround is getting 50 friends so it doesn't have to do verification. I get 50 friends and I still can't fucking use this app. Fuck off Tinder. Does it want me to put my phone number on Facebook or something?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
So I read the workaround is getting 50 friends so it doesn't have to do verification. I get 50 friends and I still can't fucking use this app. Fuck off Tinder. Does it want me to put my phone number on Facebook or something?

You don't need 50 friends. That's for that other dating app whose name I don't remember.

You can make a FB with zero friends and be fine. Perhaps your phone isn't logged into Facebook properly or the account isn't synced properly, so that's why Tinder can't connect to it. I dunno.

Maybe try it again on an Android emulator.

You don't need 50 friends. That's for that other dating app whose name I don't remember.

You can make a FB with zero friends and be fine. Perhaps your phone isn't logged into Facebook properly or the account isn't synced properly, so that's why Tinder can't connect to it. I dunno.

Maybe try it again on an Android emulator.

I tried 2 different face book accounts. I tried adding the app from facebook. I tried deleting it from facebook and adding it again. I've tried deleting the app from my phone and readding it. I've tried freezing the app on my phone and deleting it's cache and storage from my phone. Every time it gives me the damn phone number verification error message. It does a popup on my phone to login to the facebook site and it says I've already authorized the app on my facebook, but it still does the damn phone verification error. The only thing I haven't done is install the facebook app on my phone and see if the Tinder app tries to connect to that.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The only thing I haven't done is install the facebook app on my phone and see if the Tinder app tries to connect to that.

That's what I did, and it worked fine. Then I noticed that Tinder doesn't play well with my phone, so I installed an Android emulator on my PC, put the FB app on that, logged in, installed Tinder, and then logged in there.

That's what I did, and it worked fine. Then I noticed that Tinder doesn't play well with my phone, so I installed an Android emulator on my PC, put the FB app on that, logged in, installed Tinder, and then logged in there.

I just tried installing the facebook app on my phone and then the tinder app and still the same bullshit message. I'm taking this as a sign that I shouldn't get on there.

IISANDERII

So how can you determine what the person is looking for without painting yourself into a corner?

"so, you looking for a hookup?"
"eww god no! Is that what you're looking for???"
"uuuuh, no of course not.... I was just testing you"

:s

Ultimadrago

So how can you determine what the person is looking for without painting yourself into a corner?

"so, you looking for a hookup?"
"eww god no! Is that what you're looking for???"
"uuuuh, no of course not.... I was just testing you"

:s

Conversation. Make it casual, brief, flirty and set the meet early (assuming you're interested in seeing them).

Not only is that kind of gauging best done in person, but the process serves well in weeding out those that are just looking for someone to talk to for a little bit or that just use Tinder for kicks. If they meet-up, in my experience, they are most likely sexually interested on some level and you can take it from there seeing whether they're down for a hookup or sex in the future. I've had some girls come out that just wanted a clean, fun time too, but that's not an all-bad deal for you either.

Shizuka

As an experiment you can try to go all out YOLO and open with something funny/interesting/crazy and then see where that gets you.

Gotta try that. Sick of conversations dying in the first three sentences. At least I already got four dates in three weeks and a great deal of matches.

IISANDERII

Conversation. Make it casual, brief, flirty and set the meet early (assuming you're interested in seeing them).

Not only is that kind of gauging best done in person, but the process serves well in weeding out those that are just looking for someone to talk to for a little bit or that just use Tinder for kicks. If they meet-up, in my experience, they are most likely sexually interested on some level and you can take it from there seeing whether they're down for a hookup or sex in the future. I've had some girls come out that just wanted a clean, fun time too, but that's not an all-bad deal for you either.
Yeah, you are so right about just asking them out early. See what happens, take it from there.

ATF487

Bahahaha just looked at my moments and some woman just took a picture of her tits and wrote "it's friday wanna suck em?"

Like I expected the moments to be mostly vanity shots and cleavage but she really swung for the fences

Bahahaha just looked at my moments and some woman just took a picture of her tits and wrote "it's friday wanna suck em?"

Like I expected the moments to be mostly vanity shots and cleavage but she really swung for the fences

Well if it was a nice shot, there is a start to your weekend.

IISANDERII

Well, met a girl. Very cute, had a nice conversation, dinner and went for a walk. Walked her to her door and went for a kiss, just a little one but then she turned it into a full on french kissing makeout session. It was great, couldn't get enough and it went on for 10+min and then I asked if she wanted to go upstairs but she said no. We continued to makeout for a bit longer, then said goodbye. This was on Sunday.

Texted over the next day or two and when I asked if she wanted to go to fearfest next weekend she made an excuse for Saturday even though I told her we could go Friday and Sunday too. Haven't texted since.

So I guess that's that?

So Tinder fixed my login issue a day or two ago. I'm on the app and why does it seem like most of these women have professional photos? I get a message from one girl asking if I want to get married. I send a witty response and she comes back wtih "so you aren't like those guys at hookupshere.com who just want sex" or something like that. This is a bot right? Profile only had 1 pic.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
"Is your name really ____? So many liars/creeps on here. I'm deleting this app, but txt me at XXX-XXX-XXXX"

What kind of idiot falls for that shit?

After a few days on this thing I don't really get the appeal. You have to like someone and then wait for them to like you and vice versa and then hope to spark a conversation without knowing really anything about them. Meeting women in real life is much easier than this as well as on other dating sites. It seems like more than half the profiles are fake as well since it seems most of people have professionally done pics as their main photo. I thought it was supposed to be good for hookups at night, but it doesn't only show you people that are online.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
After a few days on this thing I don't really get the appeal. You have to like someone and then wait for them to like you and vice versa and then hope to spark a conversation without knowing really anything about them. Meeting women in real life is much easier than this as well as on other dating sites. It seems like more than half the profiles are fake as well since it seems most of people have professionally done pics as their main photo. I thought it was supposed to be good for hookups at night, but it doesn't only show you people that are online.
Their profile shows you how long ago they were last active.

Their profile shows you how long ago they were last active.

Still though, you don't know if they liked you unless you like them, so when they were online is kind of irrelevant. Maybe I just live in too big of a city for this program to be decent or I need to give it like a month.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Still though, you don't know if they liked you unless you like them, so when they were online is kind of irrelevant. Maybe I just live in too big of a city for this program to be decent or I need to give it like a month.

Just give it some time. You'll get matches. Don't immediately dismiss the not so attractive ones either. Start up a friendly convo, preferably opening with something other than "hi", and ask her out on a date within the first 5 to 10 minutes of the chat. Otherwise you'll most likely be forgotten in the crowd. Timing is key.

Archon473

2 questions:

I upload all my Facebook photos as profile pictures. Are these the photos Tinder selects from, or do I need to make an album?

Secondly, what message is shown to girls when they check my info - my About Me description or my most recent Facebook status?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
2 questions:

I upload all my Facebook photos as profile pictures. Are these the photos Tinder selects from, or do I need to make an album?

Secondly, what message is shown to girls when they check my info - my About Me description or my most recent Facebook status?

When you edit your profile, you can select the 6 pictures that people will see when they're looking at your profile. The big one, obviously, is your main profile pic.

The "About Me' blurb is what girls see when they look at your profile.

Archon473

When you edit your profile, you can select the 6 pictures that people will see when they're looking at your profile. The big one, obviously, is your main profile pic.

The "About Me' blurb is what girls see when they look at your profile.

Thanks, God. Here's a workaround for Facebook's stupid automatic profile pic cropping:

Upload a placeholder picture file, then open your Profile Pictures album. Use the icon in the upper right corner to remove the picture. When you click back to the wall showing all your Friends and Liked Groups (The F to the left of the search bar), your profile picture will be blank. If you're lucky, Facebook will ask if you want to upload a picture and will show you a green Add Photo button. Using this will upload your pictures in full resolution without trimming them. Take that, Zuckerberg.

Tinder is a fantastic way to determine how ugly you are.

48 hours and no matches.

Aside from bots.

Lol, thank god I don't have depression or I'd be fuuuucked

It's all about the photo, man. I wasn't having much luck either. Then I said "fuck it" and did what everyone else does. Uploaded the most unrepresentative and misleading photo ever.

20+ matches in less than a day. The shallowness is real.

Aurongel

I've been out of the game for a while now but a friend mentioned that the app is currently loaded with fake accounts with fake profile pictures that just spam advertisements.

Any of this true?

Ultimadrago

It comes and goes. The fakes are getting slightly more sophisticated though.

This.

I've actually haven't used it regularly in a while, but the times I have has had lots of fakes and only a couple meets. The noise ratio is real. (And don't put your Snapchat/Kik info out there either or the bots will use that too)

Set up a profile yesterday and have gotten 9 matches so far. Haven't taken any recent photos lately though and certainly not a good faceshot so I think It'll improve quite a bit when I do. I'm going to have a friend come over and take some photos this weekend. My question is whether it's better to just reset my account since I just made it to reset any potential matches or just ride it out?

I, reluctantly, joined tinder to see how it goes. any tips on how this actually works? Unwritten rules and things like that.
I changed my profile picture to a much more professional one as compared to the selfie I had before and had 30 new matches by the end of the night as compared to the 9 I got the day before. Otherwise I can give no advice, I just joined :p But yeah, just take care with the pictures you put up.

Will say it's a bit awkward starting conversations. Never done the online dating thing before and everyone I've dated has either been a school mate or a friend of a friend. Trying to find a balance between real questions and non-sequitars.

Gray Matter

Will say it's a bit awkward starting conversations. Never done the online dating thing before and everyone I've dated has either been a school mate or a friend of a friend. Trying to find a balance between real questions and non-sequitars.

I really don't know what to expect, I'm not good at socializing in person, let alone on the internet.

overcast

I don't want to spam my personal facebook with pictures of myself, so I may just make a different Tinder assigned to a fake facebook with a bunch of my pictures. Easier that way.

I don't want to spam my personal facebook with pictures of myself, so I may just make a different Tinder assigned to a fake facebook with a bunch of my pictures. Easier that way.
That's what I did. I never use my main profile so suddenly flooding it with photos would probably arouse questions, lol. Plus I remember reading that Tinder used to tell you what friends used the app(think they got rid of this) and I have no intentions of accidentally discovering my great aunt is using this to get laid.

Top Bottom