• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tinder (i.e., OkCupid meets Hot or Not)

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
App is so weird, got a lot of hits firs time I used it, saw this girl for a few months so I had the app deleted, went back to it and got like 2 hits, lol

Probably because I don't drink no more and. I put that in my profile, that makes me 'boring'

(I am not counting all the people I match with on the app, that are visiting people on the island, so it says they live close, but really live in the city, I Swipe right when it says they are six miles away, when they Swipe right and I go to write them it says 52 miles away)
Which is why you probably shouldn't put that. Nobody is going to care if you don't drink during a night out, but they'll probably look at you a bit weird if you feel the need to tell the world that you don't drink.

BokehKing

Banned
Which is why you probably shouldn't put that. Nobody is going to care if you don't drink during a night out, but they'll probably look at you a bit weird if you feel the need to tell the world that you don't drink.
They care if you don't drink out here, why I don't know
I have to sort through the people that feel the need to go out 4 times a week and stay out to 4 in the morning from the people who outgrew it, because I definitely did.

BokehKing

Banned
Is there an app like Tinder for finding people with similar interests to you? That's honestly what I was hoping this app was which is why I was quite negative about it to begin with.
A million dating apps, not one (with a LARGE user bases) for video game nerds, geeks, Sci-fi people, I swear, it's an untapped market of wealth if they charge low and people lower their standards the tiniest bit

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
A million dating apps, not one (with a LARGE user bases) for video game nerds, geeks, Sci-fi people, I swear, it's an untapped market of wealth if they charge low and people lower their standards the tiniest bit

Let's be clear here: you are asking for a guided tour to the Oscar Mayer factory.

Elchele

So I re-joined Tinder yesterday. I got a match yesterday and another one today. Pretty good.

Still not sure what to say, I'm new in this online dating thing. Do we have a guide/advice/etc in the thread?

Matugi

matched with a girl, lives ten miles away flirted with her briefly (i.e. we exchanged bios and then got her number), found her on Facebook, find out how deceiving pics on Tinder can be (i.e. there's some serious photoshop going on, not attractive to me at all), don't plan on texting her

how shitty am i :(?

matched with a girl, lives ten miles away flirted with her briefly (i.e. we exchanged bios and then got her number), found her on Facebook, find out how deceiving pics on Tinder can be (i.e. there's some serious photoshop going on, not attractive to me at all), don't plan on texting her

how shitty am i :(?

Not shitty at all
What else is being misrepresented? You can never tell how far down the hole goes once you see it

Matugi

Not shitty at all
What else is being misrepresented? You can never tell how far down the hole goes once you see it

fuck me, i had told her where I had worked in the bio thing and just found out she works literally right across the street. fuck my life if she walks in there today

For what is worth, I have yet to see any of my Facebook contacts there.

I have no idea how I did it but I matched with a girl that I had added on facebook but had never spoken to (she went to our rival high school) and who now goes to college with me. Still haven't spoken to her, see her all the time in the dining halls. Awkward as shit. She's real cute tho

fuck me, i had told her where I had worked in the bio thing and just found out she works literally right across the street. fuck my life if she walks in there today

I have no idea how I did it but I matched with a girl that I had added on facebook but had never spoken to (she went to our rival high school) and who now goes to college with me. Still haven't spoken to her, see her all the time in the dining halls. Awkward as shit. She's real cute tho
Tell her you were casually messaging a few girls and now you're getting serious with another girl who wants exclusivity so you had to stop tindering or something

FStop7

Banned
Tinder in LA is wild.

Good:

A lot of profiles. Every type of personality, ethnicity, culture from around the world.

A lot of matches, too. Mostly very "real" people.

Bad:

TONS of profiles with a couple of pics and no words other than a link to Instagram. Gurrrl, I'm not going to go chasing you on IG just because you're pretty. At least say something about yourself.

Lots of grandiose (and repetitive) photos with descriptions of being "aspiring" and "chasing the dream" - aka "I'm a barista with some headshots and a copy of a script in my car."

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
TONS of profiles with a couple of pics and no words other than a link to Instagram. Gurrrl, I'm not going to go chasing you on IG just because you're pretty. At least say something about yourself.
That's kind of the norm over here. No description *at all* other than Facebook's interest.

Either that or insanely cringe inducing, long form descriptions that scream "danger, Will Robinson!"

FStop7

Banned
Welp. I just swiped right on the profile of a girl who looks like Catherine Zeta Jones and had put some thought into her writeup.

It instantly matched. She had already swiped me.

<3 I think I am going to like Tinder.

The Lamp

Been swiping for days without a match. Had one match and lost it because the app bugged and lost our conversation.

:( I guess I'm just hideous or undateable...

The Lamp

show us your profile pic and bio

I dunno if I'm comfortable posting my pic on a public forum. I'll PM you and anyone else who's interested I'll PM as well.

I've experimented with my bio. I made it longer, made it really short, included/left out certain details, not really sure what else to do with it. Right now it just says
"Fluent in Spanish :) I'm half Colombian. I go to [my university], studying chemical engineering"

I dunno if I'm comfortable posting my pic on a public forum. I'll PM you and anyone else who's interested I'll PM as well.

I've experimented with my bio. I made it longer, made it really short, included/left out certain details, not really sure what else to do with it. Right now it just says
"Fluent in Spanish :) I'm half Colombian. I go to [my university], studying chemical engineering"

Don't forget to add what you like to do for fun
If you have a friend who has a DSLR, have them take a High Quality pic of you for your main profile photo.

FStop7

Banned
I just found two people I know. A waitress at a sports bar we frequent and a coworker who sits right by me. I swiped left on both to prevent awkwardness.

Meanwhile, I have a date on Saturday with the girl I mentioned above, the one who resembles CZJ. Either a photo walk in Santa Monica or live music at the Getty Center.

Talking to a girl. End up talking about what we do. We both in the political sphere. I mention I work with Dems, she says she's on the opposite side of the isle and its "pretty important to her". Ugh.

FStop7

Banned
Talking to a girl. End up talking about what we do. We both in the political sphere. I mention I work with Dems, she says she's on the opposite side of the isle and its "pretty important to her". Ugh.

If anything I'd be encouraged by that. Fiery discourse. :D

NateDog

I've been using it for a month on and off (some days I'd only see like 5 profiles because the app is all over the place on my phone, it freezes and shuts down by itself every 2-3 minutes more or less without any warning, or literally no-one's image will load up) and have about 15-20 matches but no-one wants to talk on it at all. I messaged about 3-4 people and they talked to me for about 5-10 messages and then just stopped. Breaking my heart here ladies.

I've been using it for a month on and off (some days I'd only see like 5 profiles because the app is all over the place on my phone, it freezes and shuts down by itself every 2-3 minutes more or less without any warning, or literally no-one's image will load up) and have about 15-20 matches but no-one wants to talk on it at all. I messaged about 3-4 people and they talked to me for about 5-10 messages and then just stopped. Breaking my heart here ladies.

To be honest even if I don't meet anyone on the app its nice to know people looked at me and liked me. Its a confidence booster to know that in the real world outside the internet girls do look at you and think. I'd like to get to know that guy.

potam

Banned
Got a couple of dates lined up for Thursday and Friday. My main goal now is to remain single for the rest of the summer and then slay some sweet sweet college ass next semester.

Yo screw you guys lololol.
As a good looking guy who just was totally catfished by this app after remaining totally optimistic from your shared stories, I hate all of you hahaha. And she brought two of the hottest girls ever out with us which only made it worse when I clearly turned my attention towards them.
Oh well, I'll laugh about this night forever I'm sure.

Yo screw you guys lololol.
As a good looking guy who just was totally catfished by this app after remaining totally optimistic from your shared stories, I hate all of you hahaha. And she brought two of the hottest girls ever out with us which only made it worse when I clearly turned my attention towards them.
Oh well, I'll laugh about this night forever I'm sure.

Why did you not verify?

Instagram, Snapchat video texting a selfie with something showing it is her.

Come on man, be smart.

Enfinit

I used Tinder a few months back, and managed to have a decent success rate (went on seven dates/hook-ups). Although I did manage to lower my standards a bit, but it was fun for the 3-4 months I used it.

Anyways, my Tinder game plan was to always swipe right on everyone, that way I never missed a match. When I got matched with someone, I'd then see if I was a attracted to them/go through their photos/read their bios/whatever. If I was interested, I'd send a message. With everyone else, I'd just block.

It's a douchey-as-fuck tactic, but you'll never miss an opportunity. Worked for me.

Izayoi

Banned
Why match if you won't reply to a message?
Some girls use the "swipe right on everyone" method, and some are just looking to see how many likes they can get and have no interest in actually using the app for its intended purpose.

Matches are a diamond dozen, don't worry about it.

It's a douchey-as-fuck tactic, but you'll never miss an opportunity. Worked for me.
I don't think it's douchey, it's just smart. Everyone dude with half a brain should be doing this.

ThisOne

Girl gives me her phone number on Tinder. I don't write it down or save it to my phone. Log back in a few hours later so I can put it in my phone and text her. Her profile is nowhere to be found.

FUCK THIS SHIT

ameratsu

What's going on with this girl I had matched with, disappeared from my matches, then reappeared as a potential match? Did she disappear because she blocked me?

turtle553

What's going on with this girl I had matched with, disappeared from my matches, then reappeared as a potential match? Did she disappear because she blocked me?

She could have deleted her account and then joined again. I've done that when I ran out of potential matches in my small town. I've matched some people multiple times.

Jzero

i did the "swiping right on any girl that i would let blow me" experiment and i got a shit load of matches. Too bad i'm too picky in real life.

TLDR:
Go out with a girl Monday, have amazing time. Make plans and acts like she is interested in taking things serious. Time comes for those plans to come together. She bails, "because of the distance." She lives an hour away (I understand) I'm super bummed.

Went out with pretty much the most amazing girl ever on Monday. Drop dead gorgeous in every way, looks and personality. I matched with her last Thursday night. We got along instantly on Tinder. Got her number on Friday and we didn't stop texting pretty much all day. We then made plans that same day to go out on Monday. Monday comes, she drives into town with her sister and I take her out to a nice place on the water around here and then we go walk to some bars.

From the moment we met we hit it off. There wasn't a second where we weren't talking or laughing and having a good time. There was a strong connection. Multiple times throughout the night she would just stare at me and then giggle and I would do the same. Her hands were all over me as the night went on and mine were on her. We had made plans to go out that night for today actually. And she had even talked about going out like a month from now to a concert.

The way this girl was staring at me and talking to me was unlike any other date or girl I've EVER been with on a first date. And I've been on a lot of dates. Even the girl I was in love with for three years and recently broke up with did not start this good. Multiple times throughout the night I got up to use the bathroom and I would come back and she would just be staring in the direction I was coming from and as soon as she saw me she would just have a giant smile on her face.

We stay out until like 2:00am and I drive her back to place she is staying at with her sister, because she isn't from around here. We talk in the car for a minute or two and she gives me a kiss on the cheek and then we just kiss like 5 or 6 times. And I tell her I can't wait to see her again and she says the same and that we'll talk tomorrow.

So, tomorrow (tuesday) comes and we talk for a bit and we both agree we had an amazing time. I then ask her if she's still interested in going out Friday...no response for hours, whatever, not really a big deal. Kind of odd though considering how much we had talked in the past. I send her a text like eight hours later saying, is that a no? No response. So finally I just send a text saying if you aren't interested please let me know, because I am confused if you have a change a heart, but I understand. I'm not being a creep or blowing her up. She responds like an hour later, saying she was out with friends and that she just doesn't see it working out because of the distance.

She lives about an hour away. I told her I would love to take her out again still. She says she needs to think about it. We talk all day Weds and then she tells me she can't go out Friday. So I pretty much just tell her I had pretty much the best date of my life with her and would still like to be friends (never works, i understand). No response from her. Next day I post some shit on IG and she likes it. I don't understand women...at all.

I am beyond bummed. I know this is just Tinder, but holy fuck this girl...

Windam

Scaley member
I had 10 matches before someone replied. I think it was a bit biased too I knew the person in middle school.

I've got about 13. Only match who replied was a girl on there trolling for shits and giggles. Was pretty funny as it was happening, but still.

kris.

Banned
so i just got a nexus 5 yesterday, downloaded tinder, and today noticed that the app is eating at my battery power even though i've opened it maybe two or three times over the course of the day. anyone know why and how to alleviate this?

Matugi

TLDR:
Go out with a girl Monday, have amazing time. Make plans and acts like she is interested in taking things serious. Time comes for those plans to come together. She bails, "because of the distance." She lives an hour away (I understand) I'm super bummed.

Went out with pretty much the most amazing girl ever on Monday. Drop dead gorgeous in every way, looks and personality. I matched with her last Thursday night. We got along instantly on Tinder. Got her number on Friday and we didn't stop texting pretty much all day. We then made plans that same day to go out on Monday. Monday comes, she drives into town with her sister and I take her out to a nice place on the water around here and then we go walk to some bars.

From the moment we met we hit it off. There wasn't a second where we weren't talking or laughing and having a good time. There was a strong connection. Multiple times throughout the night she would just stare at me and then giggle and I would do the same. Her hands were all over me as the night went on and mine were on her. We had made plans to go out that night for today actually. And she had even talked about going out like a month from now to a concert.

The way this girl was staring at me and talking to me was unlike any other date or girl I've EVER been with on a first date. And I've been on a lot of dates. Even the girl I was in love with for three years and recently broke up with did not start this good. Multiple times throughout the night I got up to use the bathroom and I would come back and she would just be staring in the direction I was coming from and as soon as she saw me she would just have a giant smile on her face.

We stay out until like 2:00am and I drive her back to place she is staying at with her sister, because she isn't from around here. We talk in the car for a minute or two and she gives me a kiss on the cheek and then we just kiss like 5 or 6 times. And I tell her I can't wait to see her again and she says the same and that we'll talk tomorrow.

So, tomorrow (tuesday) comes and we talk for a bit and we both agree we had an amazing time. I then ask her if she's still interested in going out Friday...no response for hours, whatever, not really a big deal. Kind of odd though considering how much we had talked in the past. I send her a text like eight hours later saying, is that a no? No response. So finally I just send a text saying if you aren't interested please let me know, because I am confused if you have a change a heart, but I understand. I'm not being a creep or blowing her up. She responds like an hour later, saying she was out with friends and that she just doesn't see it working out because of the distance.

She lives about an hour away. I told her I would love to take her out again still. She says she needs to think about it. We talk all day Weds and then she tells me she can't go out Friday. So I pretty much just tell her I had pretty much the best date of my life with her and would still like to be friends (never works, i understand). No response from her. Next day I post some shit on IG and she likes it. I don't understand women...at all.

I am beyond bummed. I know this is just Tinder, but holy fuck this girl...

lol relax dude. Let things work themselves out and don't worry about her not responding. Fact of the matter is she may want to actually compose her thoughts before responding. I've texted with a girl on tinder for a bit and it would be a day and a half before I got another text, but it would be like three whole paragraphs. And even outside of the realm of tinder, sometimes people honestly forget. I am terrible at texting people back unless I'm really close with them. Shit, even to one of my best friends, she texted me something on Sunday and I didn't respond until Wednesday night. People will open a text, mean to get to it, but if it requires a long response will put it off until they have time, and then honestly forget

so i just got a nexus 5 yesterday, downloaded tinder, and today noticed that the app is eating at my battery power even though i've opened it maybe two or three times over the course of the day. anyone know why and how to alleviate this?

Kill the app when you're done checking it. It's a battery killer, no way around it.

Open it up, swipe right for a few minutes, kill the process to save power, rinse/repeat in a few hours

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Even the unofficial Windows Phone app (which oddly enough has more features than the official Android/iOS one) is a complete resource hog. Forget to make it through the day if you arw running it in the background.

Top Bottom