• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tinder is destroying men’s self-esteem (New York Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peterthumpa

I actually matched with some girl about a week ago, who after a bit of messaging, ended up apologizing and unmatching with me because she doesn't go out with anyone shorter than her. I'm 6'2" and she's 6'6" haha.... I was like you better camp outside of Staples center and set your radius to 1 mile.

lol

I actually matched with some girl about a week ago, who after a bit of messaging, ended up apologizing and unmatching with me because she doesn't go out with anyone shorter than her. I'm 6'2" and she's 6'6" haha.... I was like you better camp outside of Staples center and set your radius to 1 mile.

lol her choices are extremely limited

I don't really understand what you are getting at. You think because women on dating apps (of which they have the pure ability to filter) are harder on what is their "average" male beauty standards are higher? Cause if that's your actual take I find that insane to believe.

You have no opposing data, though. Standards are generally the same for everyone: don't be fat, don't be too old, don't be bald, don't be too ugly, and so on. But height is one thing men overlook and women emphasize, education is another, and there may be a couple others.

I used Tinder once and swiped right on 90% of the options. No matches, but that was just after one attempt. Consider myself average and the pictures I took were pretty plain/not stand outish, so I'm not really surprised. Tinder is extremely based on looks and a lot on presentation as well. There's simple things you can do to increase your chances, but really I think traditional dating is still the best option.

Okcupid I've had much better luck but still want to keep going to the gym for awhile before I start committing. Just wanted to browse the area and see what expectations are.

Azzurri

Online apps are probably the worst thing for shorter dudes, but thankfully for them the real world doesn't equal online dating apps from what I noticed.

Also, notice how girls on dating apps are taller than average. I mean like 5'9+ which is tall for a woman.

Llyranor

For sure age won't help but I don't think it'll help dudes either unless they stay in their own range.
A guy in his 30's can do pretty well with girls in their 20's, whereas the opposite is usually not true, or not as prevalent, anyway. Compared to their 20's counterpart, they are usually more mature, more experienced, more established, have a stable profession/house/car. I think the scales reverse once you hit 30-35.

You have no opposing data, though. Standards are generally the same for everyone: don't be fat, don't be too old, don't be bald, don't be too ugly, and so on. But height is the one thing men overlook and women emphasize, education is another, and there may be a couple others.

What he provided isn't proof. It's graph literally open to intrtpretation. Because my interpretation of that graph boils down to "women have more choices on dating apps thetefore they are harder. Yet it ultimately doesn't really affect their responses. Men have a normal distribution of beauty but do not actually follow it when they decide who to pursue".

How could you interpret that as male standards being higher? It literally says that guys really only want to talk to you if you are top tier. Women basically dont care what you look like.

Hell, even mpre basic than that it is saying "an average looking girl is not good enough".

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I don't really understand what you are getting at. You think because women on dating apps (of which they have the pure ability to filter) are harder on what is their "average" male beauty standards are higher? Cause if that's your actual take I find that insane to believe.
It certainly seems to be a legitimate interpretation of the data presented. Certainly there are other interpretations that are equally possible. If you look at how men rate women as well as who they message you'll see that while the ratings seem relatively fair the messages skew hugely towards the more attractive. Had the graph for women been more like this you could say that indeed these women are filtering based on the fact that they are in higher demand. But that's not what the data shows.

A guy in his 30's can do pretty well with girls in their 20's, whereas the opposite is usually not true, or not as prevalent, anyway. Compared to their 20's counterpart, they are usually more mature, more experienced, more established, have a stable profession/house/car. I think the scales reverse once you hit 30-35.

Guys in their 30s can definite get girls in the mid to late 20s. At 30 the guy is simply more mature and financially secure, things women look for.

Lookin for a, baller, shot caller, 20 inch blades, on the impala

Acorn

Quite possible.

What he provided isn't proof. It's graph literally open to intrtpretation. Because my interpretation of that graph boils down to "women have more choices on dating apps thetefore they are harder. Yet it ultimately doesn't really affect their responses. Men have a normal distribution of beauty but do not actually follow it when they decide who to pursue".

How could you interpret that as male standards being higher? It literally says that guys really only want to talk to you if you are top tier. Women basically dont care what you look like?

The graph clearly shows that men are rated way lower in looks and that women mostly message the 20th percentile of them. It may be difficult to see in the graphs, but the conclusion from the source is clear: "Females of OkCupid, we site founders say to you: ouch! Paradoxically, it seems it’s women, not men, who have unrealistic standards for the “average” member of the opposite sex."

Ultima_5

Truth is a girl can't tell if you're 6'1 or 5'11. 5'5 or 5'8 etc if you also wear a big heel. It's easy to skew an inch or 2. All they see is a number online
This. Just lie. As long as you're taller than them they'll be happy. People can't guess someone's height if they're off by 2" or whatever.

I take this as guys on tinder are bad at looking at a problem and coming up with a solution.

I'm fat and hair but I had no probs getting dates via the Internet. You gotta figure out how to play to your strengths

UraMallas

For sure age won't help but I don't think it'll help dudes either unless they stay in their own range.
I use Tinder and I get way more matches with girls in the 5-8 years younger range than my own age. I'm 33. It's a pretty hard rule from my experience. I've been using it for about 3 years and the age range was 22-27 where I got the most matches when I first started.

Meeting my wife in high school was probably the best thing for me. The dating scene is so toxic. I'm a relatively attractive guy, but I'm not muscular and I'm only 5'-10". Women on these online dating apps and sites sound like the worst.
They're not great. You start looking at people really differently when you read "no black guys" in all caps enough times.

It certainly seems to be a legitimate interpretation of the data presented. Certainly there are other interpretations that are equally possible. If you look at how men rate women as well as who they message you'll see that while the ratings seem relatively fair the messages skew hugely towards the more attractive. Had the graph for women been more like this you could say that indeed these women are filtering based on the fact that they are in higher demand. But that's not what the data shows.

Eh that data is not saying what you think. It's saying that what womem considerimg attractive is not the sole determination of who they message. It's literally saying that they prioritize looks way less than how they actually view them. And that in turn means that an average looking dude or evem below average does not have to do much physically to solicit attention.

The guys graph is saying that evem though men view looks based on a normal distribution (makes sense) they are only interested in pursuimg the most attractive females. It's implying being of average beauty is not good enough to be pursued. It is literally showing that guy message purely on looks where as women dont.

So how is that men having higher standards? That interpretation is literally flawed. It completely validates the idea that looks are not a big issue for guys in dating but its huge for women.

Schlorgan

I put my height in my profile (6') but if a girl says in her bio that she only wants 6' or taller I immediately swipe left.

Demoskinos

Tale as old as time, online is stacked against you if your male. I suppose it makes up for the fact you don't have to worry about there being a time limit on your fertility.

I think that pretty well goes both ways especially since men are usually way more visual than women when it comes to attraction.

UraMallas

Meeting my wife in high school was probably the best thing for me. The dating scene is so toxic. I'm a relatively attractive guy, but I'm not muscular and I'm only 5'-10". Women on these online dating apps and sites sound like the worst.
I'm 2 inches taller than you but otherwise sounds about the same. I have never had any issues with feeling judged on the dates and drinks and all the other stuff. I have been asked a few times how tall I am before we meet but that is about the extent of it. I have had some awkward encounters but those were more of me ending up feeling bad for the girl bring maybe a bit antisocial where anxiety showed.

Overall, I love Tinder. Lots of fun if you don't take it too seriously. And I don't mean 'OMG so much sex!'. I mean going on first dates is a lot of fun. Meeting people for the first time and having convos even if you don't connect. My current hair stylist I met on Tinder and my real estate agent. Had a few dates that didn't work out but kept them as friends.

tkscz

Surprised by the lack of my type of women on Tinder. I stopped using it after about a month. Most women were bots, others did reject my height but were ok because my physique made up for it (I shit you not I'd see that). I can't be angry with them because I usually swiped left if they weren't fat.

SpaceHorror

Tinder is mostly destroying my ability to believe fucking dating apps can find a solution to bring down the number of bots and scams.

The graph clearly shows that men are rated way lower in looks and that women mostly message the 20th percentile of them. It may be difficult to see in the graphs, but the conclusion from the source is clear: "Females of OkCupid, we site founders say to you: ouch! Paradoxically, it seems it’s women, not men, who have unrealistic standards for the “average” member of the opposite sex."

If that is a cumulative distribution graph (which it looks like) you are not readong it correctly. I can't really debate with you if you are reading the graph differently because that graph is implying that men do not receive the bulk of the messages from women.

If you don't meet any of the "hard requirements" (good looks, good height, good income) online dating in general for men is one of the most depressing things in this age.

Men are so fragile.

If you don't meet any of the "hard requirements" (good looks, good height, good income) online dating in general for men is one of the most depressing things in this age.

...aren't those just like, general life requirements (good looks and good income)? It's not THAT hard to look good. There are tons of resources that help men dress better (youtube channels, magazines).

Az987

all good things
I have never read literally this, but I have found a lot of "only white guys"

Even though I'm white I don't message women that have that shit in their profile.
I also avoid women who have pictures of themselves shooting guns in their profiles.

Darryl

Banned
Most men dont stand a chance on tinder because it a 10:1 ratio of guys to girls. Not because they are archetyped as hollywood villains. Come on.

And male beauty standards are literally nothing compared to women where their worth in society is intrinsically tied into their looks. Guys beauty standards is like have nice hair, be decently tall maybe be fit. You think that compares to women?

I don't even think male beauty standards are crazy. It's basically go to the gym.

women beauty standards are basically go to the gym too. I think your point of view is extremely outdated and to me seems like a relic of 90s news scare hysteria. a man's value is becoming increasingly tied to things like his appearance as income disparity is increasing. I don't think guys have it as easy as you say, and bald men definitely have a difficult and sometimes impossible chance of succeeding on tinder regardless of whether they go to the gym.

So I guess the average American man is too short for these ladies.
Basically.

Many of these women, if waiting for the perfect 6'2" ripped man, will be waiting a long time. As these ladies get older, their chances of landing this rare guy decrease. To the point they either need to bring the requirements bact to Earth, or risk being alone forever. Not to mention, many of these women are assuming these guys would even be interested in them in the first place. Which may not be the case.
My advice to younger women: Take a step back and set realistic expectations. Otherwise you may miss out on some great guys who find a woman who realized what you didn't. I know a few women who to this day (in their 30s and 40s) still think Fabio is gonna come kicking in their door tomorrow. Passing up normal dudes all day long.

As another poster stated already...thank fuck I'm already married.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Eh that data is not saying what you think. It's saying that what womem considerimg attractive is not the sole determination of who they message. It's literally saying that they prioritize looks way less than how they actually view them. And that in turn means that an average looking dude or evem below average does not have to do much physically to solicit attention.

The guys graph is saying that evem though men view looks based on a normal distribution (makes sense) they are only interested in pursuimg the most attractive females. It's implying being of average beauty is not good enough to be pursued. It is literally showing that guy message purely on looks where as women dont.

So how is that men having higher standards? That interpretation is literally flawed. It completely validates the idea that looks are not a big issue for guys in dating but its huge for women.

The men's data is hugely problematic for sure, and the blog covers this, as did the post I was quoting, which is why I didn't go into it again.

But to boil it down basically: "men know what women look like but message the most beautiful ones because men are awful, whereas women literally don't know what men look like."

As far as making a connection between how the women perceive male attractiveness and why they choose to message the people they do, that's not something the article (or myself) can explain without further studies. For all we know it could be that their initial view is so skewed they have no choice but to "settle for less" in their mind, I don't know.

Ahahaha wow what a go-getter

SpaceHorror

Where are these bots and scams? I have maybe ran into a handful that aren't completely obvious.

Maybe it's area specific but I get them all the time, man.

Last time I had tinder I ran into the same scam 5 times. "Hey I just broke up with my boyfriend and want to fuck. Here is my address." Every single time some lonely road in the middle of no where.

harSon

Banned
I use Tinder and I get way more matches with girls in the 5-8 years younger range than my own age. I'm 33. It's a pretty hard rule from my experience. I've been using it for about 3 years and the age range was 22-27 where I got the most matches when I first started.

Yeah, I'm in my upper 20s (27) and I get everything from 18 to 34. Fairly evenly, but probably weighted in favor of 25-28 or so. It's a pretty good age to be at for Tinder. You're still in your 20s, but you're at an age where you're somewhat mature and established - which are qualities that are desirable across the board.

I have never read literally this, but I have found a lot of "only white guys"
You have obviously never been on POF unless the women outside of NYC and NJ behave differently on there.
Even though I'm white I don't message women that have that shit in their profile.
I also avoid women who have pictures of themselves shooting guns in their profiles.
So it's not just me that avoids that? Good to know.

I've watched lady-friends swipe through the selection of Tinder guys and frankly a lot of them are making mistakes that are entirely in their control. No girl wants to date a guy who only has poorly-lit selfies, looks unkempt, doesn't seem to know how to smile, has a terrible haircut, says weird/overly forward shit in his profile, has no pictures of him out with friends, doesn't have a sense of style, etc. I'd say at least half of all guys on Tinder fall into at least one of these categories.

what's the deal with having no pictures with friends ?

women beauty standards are basically go to the gym too. I think your point of view is extremely outdated and to me seems like a relic of 90s news scare hysteria. a man's value is becoming increasingly tied to things like his appearance as income disparity is increasing. I don't think guys have it as easy as you say, and bald men definitely have a difficult and sometimes impossible chance of succeeding on tinder regardless of whether they go to the gym.

Eh I never said guys have tinder on easy mode. I said what it takes for a guy to solicit attention is not nearly as looks dependent as women. And its true. It isnt.

Looks play a much stronger role in the societal value of a woman then for men. I am defining beauty standards as a function of societal worth for reference. I'm not playing he say she say on looks. Men factually place more value on how women look than vice versa when it comes to dating.

PSqueak

Banned
Does it have the same effect all genders?

Usually, the average guy avoids tall girls.

Basically, culturally, it's undesirable for straight couples to have the man be shorter than the woman.

Which is bollocks, i wanna date a really tall girl.

Men are so fragile.

Even ignoring the fact that women suffer for a similar problem when rejected for being too tall, take into account that more often than not when a PERSON takes online looking for dating they already have low self steem, how hard is to think that this shit would hit hard someone with low self steem?

But god forbid men from having feelings, but also fuck them for not having them, amirite?

Online dating in general for men can be hell with how shallow people can be. Add in men that have been habitually turned down for any number of reasons and men who have had their self esteem destroyed via bad relationships and you have a recipe for disaster.

The men's data is hugely problematic for sure, and the blog covers this, as did the post I was quoting, which is why I didn't go into it again.

But to boil it down basically: "men know what women look like but message the most beautiful ones because men are awful, whereas women literally don't know what men look like."

As far as making a connection between how the women perceive male attractiveness and why they choose to message the people they do, that's not something the article (or myself) can explain without further studies. For all we know it could be that their initial view is so skewed they have no choice but to "settle for less" in their mind, I don't know.

Well my main point was male standards in terms of soliciting attention are not nearly as high and vice versa. I'm not saying that the woman graph is normal. I'm saying the idea that guys have to do more looks wise to attract women is untrue. The way men view womem is largely looks dominant. Accirding to that data it is not the case with women. Maybe ots financial, maybe its fear of beimg lonely. Ots largely irrelevant. What we know is its not looks clearly.

Basically I'm saying I don't get how you came to that conclusion based on that data. It's saying the oppositie of what you seemed to be implying.

harSon

Banned
You dont have photos with friends, people think you're some weido, unsocialable, unlikable. Why message you? Probably some nutcase, I'm not meeting this guy.

As long as it's someone taking a picture of you, and your profile doesn't consist of nothing but selfies and bathroom mirror shots - you're fine. I personally don't have any images of me with friends, since I tend to not like to post pictures of other people publicly without their permission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom