• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tinder is destroying men’s self-esteem (New York Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KDC720

I've never really had a good experience with it. Although I at least consider myself somewhat decent looking, I don't photograph well at all and thus all the photos I put up were goofy and unflattering.

All the matches I got were either bots or girls I didn't really have too much of an interest in.

Online dating in general for men can be hell with how shallow people can be. Add in men that have been habitually turned down for any number of reasons and men who have had their self esteem destroyed via bad relationships and you have a recipe for disaster.

Online dating is hell for anyone who is not good looking. I doubt its a fun camp for fat girls, short guys, fat guys, black women, asian men, etc, etc. Every guy wants the super cute girl who you want to date and then marry someday, every girl wants their tall prince.

I wonder if we'll see some more progression towards computer based matching, where AIs will be able to truly analyze a person and then determine someone who is likely to be very compatible with them. Not based on what they say, but based on observing the person and determining their true likes and personalities.

Hot people will never have a problem dating, my best friend is male-model level and girls are always flirting with him. I'm his best friend troll, fortunately married but its crazy what a different life it is. But for the rest of us, I truly think computer based auto matching may be a better solution than tinder roulette.

Alternatively long term relationships may make less sense when financial issues go away, and we may see different family types emerge.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
These Gaf threads hurt my self esteem more then anything else, I rarely think about my height except for when these threads are posted every few months, lol. It doesn't help that a bunch of tall guys come in here to remind everyone that they date a ton of women.

Ralemont

not me
You dont have photos with friends, people think you're some weido, unsocialable, unlikable. Why message you? Probably some nutcase, I'm not meeting this guy.

The other end of this, girls who only have pictures with their friends, gets a swipe left from me. It's annoying trying to puzzle out whose profile I'm reading from their rad club parties.

Men are so fragile.

...aren't those just like, general life requirements (good looks and good income)? It's not THAT hard to look good. There are tons of resources that help men dress better (youtube channels, magazines).

People usually don't dismiss someone so easily like you could through online dating.
Putting some effort in presenting yourself is common sense. I was talking about good looking genetically: well built body, tall, attractive face.

A guy in his 30's can do pretty well with girls in their 20's, whereas the opposite is usually not true, or not as prevalent, anyway. Compared to their 20's counterpart, they are usually more mature, more experienced, more established, have a stable profession/house/car. I think the scales reverse once you hit 30-35.
Truth fact. I'm 37 and have dated countless girls 25 and under. You get sick of the immaturity after awhile to be honest. It's like going back to high school. I'm also 5'7 so I call complete bullshit on the article in the OP. Be fun, be confident, and hit the gym and good things will happen

Even ignoring the fact that women suffer for a similar problem when rejected for being too tall, take into account that more often than not when a PERSON takes online looking for dating they already have low self steem, how hard is to think that this shit would hit hard someone with low self steem?

But god forbid men from having feelings, but also fuck them for not having them, amirite?

A lot of people suffer from men and women who think all men (or all women) are the same.
Lots of really really dumb men who think they can speak for all men just because they and their friends have the same degenerate view on women and relationships.
I cringe every single time a comedian starts with "us men", etc.
Are there small differences between men and women? Sure. But there is such enormous variety in people that it's always insulting to speak in the name of all women or all men.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
These Gaf threads hurt my self esteem more then anything else, I rarely think about my height except for when these threads are posted every few months, lol. It doesn't help that a bunch of tall guys come in here to remind everyone that they date a ton of women.
Well now don't exclude those tall guys that feel short.
what's the deal with having no pictures with friends ?
What am I gonna do, cobble a bunch of avatars together? Madness.

Haint

If you 5'9 you buy some casual boots with an inch or so rise and say you're 6'. This is just common sense in a stats based dating app.

The other end of this, girls who only have pictures with their friends, gets a swipe left from me. It's annoying trying to puzzle out whose profile I'm reading from their rad club parties.

Basically my stance. If I cant figure out who youbare I cant be bothered. Have one fucking picture by yourself at least.

04991530073128bde7a19438ae3a0909.jpg

bios can be helpful

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
They're not great. You start looking at people really differently when you read "no black guys" in all caps enough times.

I'm more fascinated by this right here than anything. True colors coming out of people.

"im not racist but NO BLACK GUYS srsly if ur black dont msg me"

I'm 2 inches taller than you but otherwise sounds about the same. I have never had any issues with feeling judged on the dates and drinks and all the other stuff. I have been asked a few times how tall I am before we meet but that is about the extent of it. I have had some awkward encounters but those were more of me ending up feeling bad for the girl bring maybe a bit antisocial where anxiety showed.

Overall, I love Tinder. Lots of fun if you don't take it too seriously. And I don't mean 'OMG so much sex!'. I mean going on first dates is a lot of fun. Meeting people for the first time and having convos even if you don't connect. My current hair stylist I met on Tinder and my real estate agent. Had a few dates that didn't work out but kept them as friends.

I have to read this and apologize if I sound like "old guy yelling at cloud". I've never been in a situation where I got to really experience "first dates" as an adult. It's one of the things I can't connect with for other people around my age. It does sound fun, though. Meeting new people is always awesome.

Online dating is hell for anyone who is not good looking. .

It's hard for good looking people too who are looking for more than hooking up. You could have a good connection and that person just disappears on you. Many keep looking for the bigger, better deal like they're playing the stock market.

I actually matched with some girl about a week ago, who after a bit of messaging, ended up apologizing and unmatching with me because she doesn't go out with anyone shorter than her. I'm 6'2" and she's 6'6" haha.... I was like you better camp outside of Staples center and set your radius to 1 mile.

LOL!!! You should've sent her back a link of where to purchase cats!!!

Edit: 6'4 here and...

I got them keys, keys, keys
We go to court, we gon' plead the fifth
I know the judge, I'ma shoot him some chips

:p

But I really ain't "drowning in pussy" but height does do wonders...as a tall black man(I'm fat but I guess my height somewhat cancels it lol)
I notice I attract a certain variety of woman; usually short; thick to the plus size white women.(it's my type so :) )

Sometimes when I'm out with the boys, I'm usually offered drinks, I don't drink(very little) but I'm still flattered, still get them digits tho. :)

You have no opposing data, though. Standards are generally the same for everyone: don't be fat, don't be too old, don't be bald, don't be too ugly, and so on. But height is one thing men overlook and women emphasize, education is another, and there may be a couple others.
I kinda get the height thing, it isn't something that personally bothers me, but physical attributes form physical attraction and that is part of 'making it work', but I can't believe people are prepared to just block off an entire group of people, seemingly just because.

To want end must somebody be educated to your desired level?

Is it because you think they'll be more intelligent? Is it because statistically they will go on to achieve more?

The certificate that certifies you passing doesn't determine any of that.

I feel it is more a polite way of saying 'I don't want to date a dumbass'. Because I'm sure if someone was smart, funny, genuinely cared for you, was doing well for themselves but hadn't gone to college/university/etc they wouldn't turn them away.

What happened to being with someone for who they are, not what they have, or are statistically likely to go on to, achieve?

What am I gonna do, cobble a bunch of avatars together? Madness.

Gonna be honest, I don't have any friends right now so it feels a little bit weird to hide this fact because people jump to the conclusion so easily (and it's not just for dating but I digress)

Sunster

White people in general. But there is no point in payimg that attention. We aint gon magically change races so work with what you haave.

I think his point was to give perspective to white posters ITT complaining about height. Could be wrong though.

ajfoucault

well yeah tinder especially is the epitome of shallow dating.

Plus the results of the survey are biased, because maybe people that ALREADY have low-self esteem resort to Tinder to begin with, due to lack of face-to-face rejection (it's easier to get rejected over an app, than in person at a bar).

6'6" and I feel that most of the time my height is a hindrance and people just spout the usual "wow you're really tall"

Had it work against me with a girl I was really into, she was nearly half my height. Hugging was always...awkward

Afrocious

Here's my profile. At a certain point, I kinda stopped caring about my online profiles. I get a match or two on tinder about once a day or so. Of those matches, I talk with about half or a third. Much smaller fraction for those I go on a date with.

Oddly enough, two girls I met off of Tinder and dropped contact with found me on Facebook and now I'm kinda seeing one at the moment.

White people in general. But there is no point in payimg that attention. We aint gon magically change races so work with what you haave.

Truth.

I think his point was to give perspective to white posters ITT complaining about height. Could be wrong though.

Basically. Yeah, can't change race and I don't want to, but I won't lie or deny that white dudes have it easier. A white dude can look like ass and have a fair-looking woman at his side. But that's just me pointing out physical stuff.

FStop7

Banned
I actually matched with some girl about a week ago, who after a bit of messaging, ended up apologizing and unmatching with me because she doesn't go out with anyone shorter than her. I'm 6'2" and she's 6'6" haha.... I was like you better camp outside of Staples center and set your radius to 1 mile.

Did she have any pics that indicated she was actually that tall?

The biggest problem I have with Tinder are flakes. I think it's an LA thing more than a Tinder thing, though. People flake out over everything.

harSon

Banned
Things are much different in the Bay Area considering it's pretty diverse. I'm mixed (Black/White/Japanese) and light skin. I actually receive the most matches from girls who are white and hispanic. Like a lot of them... A distant third would be Asian and for whatever reason, a distant fourth behind that would be black women.

As a 5'6" guy, you guys that are 5'9"-5'11" complaining about being short are honestly worse than the women who only date guys 6' and up.

Yeah I don't get this. TIL, I am a 5'11" dwarf apparently.

But aren't men doing the same anyway? If there was no age setting inside the App, I believe we would definitely see a lot more "only under 30" or "dating only 20-29 year olds" on male profiles.

Things are much different in the Bay Area considering it's pretty diverse. I'm mixed (Black/White/Japanese) and light skin. I actually receive the most matches from girls who are white and hispanic. Like a lot of them... A distant third would be Asian and for whatever reason, a distant fourth behind that would be black women.

image.php

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
I have a buddy who was all over sites like this a while back and he hooked up with a ton of chicks, but it's nothing but horror story after horror story. one chick literally told him she had herpes after they were done fucking. to this day i don't understand how he didn't completely lose his shit after she told him that.

Afrocious

I was called a unicorn the other day on OKCupid for being a non-religious black man in the South.

This is something I always figured but damn.

I'd like to see how different online dating profiles are outside of NC.

wait, 5'11 is considered short now?

welp, I'm doomed. I'm at that height and right now that's all that's going for me. Like a fool I was trying to improve my life too. I'm ugly, fat, and all around loser :/

harSon

Banned
Did she have any pics that indicated she was actually that tall?

The biggest problem I have with Tinder are flakes. I think it's an LA thing more than a Tinder thing, though. People flake out over everything.

I could tell she was tall from her pictures, but she wasn't standing next to anyone and there weren't any that showed her from head to toe - so I assumed she was like 6' or around my height.

Sure I get that. If you look at race stastics in these dating apps its not pretty. But same as height. Not going anywhere so we just gotta deal. We can only work towards a less shitty society but for the current generation it is what it is. (I'm black for reference)

Afrocious

Sure I get that. If you look at race stastics in these dating apps its not pretty. But same as height. Not going anywhere so we just gotta deal. We can only work towards a less shitty society but for the current generation it is what it is. (I'm black for reference)

Now for black women...they have some serious shit to deal with online

KingV

If you 5'9 you buy some casual boots with an inch or so rise and say you're 6'. This is just common sense in a stats based dating app.

Which leads to the common female complaint of "men always lie about their height" and male complaint of "women always lie about their weight".

Men lying about their height on dating apps is very common, and they do notice, because I hear about it from them all the time.

what's the deal with having no pictures with friends ?

It's not a total deal breaker, but it suggests that said person doesn't have much of a social life, especially if all the pictures they do have are selfies in their apartment. At the very least you should have some candid shots that someone else snapped of you. Nothing is attractive about standing in front of a mirror with a cell phone in your hand. Unless you look like Adonis this will do nothing for you, and even if you are Adonis it's not a great choice because they'll think you're a beautiful person with no life.

MoxManiac

wait, 5'11 is considered short now?

welp, I'm doomed. I'm at that height and right now that's all that's going for me. Like a fool I was trying to improve my life too. I'm ugly, fat, and all around loser :/

Expectations on Tinder are hella inflated. 5'11 is fine.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
This thread is weird. Usually a lot of the comments go something like...
"I'm getting plenty of matches but the first thing they ask is "Height?" Then after I tell them I never hear from them again.".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom