• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tinder is destroying men’s self-esteem (New York Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Afrocious

At least if they have a subjective experience, they have some kind of reason for believing, you know? In contrast to most religious people. Also, one of the most respected left-wing journalists in my country has said he has had some contact with God in his life. And he's probably the person in media I respect the most, and he's a remarkably decent dude.

But I hear you. It's a bit scary

You are giving this way more thought than I think you need, but hey it might work out. All I know is that, being in the South, you see a ton of religious people who are on some shit. Some are condescending. Some are duplicitous. Got no time for that at all.

UraMallas

At least if they have a subjective experience, they have some kind of reason for believing, you know? In contrast to most religious people. Also, one of the most respected left-wing journalists in my country has said he has had some contact with God in his life. And he's probably the person in media I respect the most, and he's a remarkably decent dude.

If they have an 'experience' they have a problem with rational thought and critical thinking which would dismiss any 'experience' within 5 minutes. If they continually have these 'experiences' they are delusional or willfully ignorant. None of that is good.

I'm only 5'3", thank God I'm not overly self-conscious. Although some of these threads might turn me into a self-conscious wreck.

harSon

Banned
Ya'll make me think me being in the bay area would have my Tinder app lit with match notifications

From personal experience, I've had a lot of Tinder conversations go from "What are you racially" to "Hit me up at [phone number] if you want to grab or bite to eat" after telling them. Most of them white, so take that as you will. Interracial dating is pretty damn common in the Bay Area...

vypek

Thats true. It might be unfair to write her off just off of that. Maybe that "contact" was something she personally thinks of as a miracle or something. IDK.

EDIT:
Haha, that chat screenshot posted above is kinda funny

Dai Kaiju

I was literally perfectly comfortable with being 5'9 until I clicked on this thread. I thought that was supposed to be average for a man. Just learned im short and therefore less desirable. Feels bad man.

Afrocious

I was literally perfectly comfortable with being 5'9 until I clicked on this thread. I thought that was supposed to be average for a man. Just learned im short and therefore less desirable. Feels bad man.

It is average. You're fine. This is just a single thread with a handful of users.

UraMallas

Don't do this, man! We all have our strengths. Work what you got.

I have better luck with POF.
I live in the Orlando area. Through Tinder I have maybe 15 matches total and I've been on there for years. POF? Around 70 matches in less than six months.

Height is 5'10, I listed it on my tinder profile, but not on POF...Maybe that's hurting my chances? Whatever.

Firest0rm

City demographics also play a big part. I can tell as a Torontonian, when I was in New York last month, I gave tinder a shot there and I matched with 30 girls in a weekend. These were good looking girls, and not bots. Which is the complete opposite of my experience in Toronto. Where I'll get a match or two in a week or so.

Maybe someone from the NYC-GAF can comment on this, but I've been told that the girls to guys ratio in NYC is higher and that contributes to getting higher matches in NYC.

Taiser

hbctuCo.jpg

eot

Banned
These Gaf threads hurt my self esteem more then anything else, I rarely think about my height except for when these threads are posted every few months, lol. It doesn't help that a bunch of tall guys come in here to remind everyone that they date a ton of women.

If you weren't short there would be something else. Almost everyone have something they're insecure about. I have a friend who is so god damn insecure about his body even though he's ripped as hell, and is obsessed with his height thinking it's an issue even though he sleeps around like crazy. The fact that I'm ~6 inches taller doesn't make up for anything. It's at best not a disadvantage.

ShowDog

Several of my buddies are 5'10 or under and they go on Tinder dates constantly. If I'm being honest they're mostly average looking, average income, college educated dudes. Maybe that last bit is the difference maker? Other than the fact that they're grate guys

In the U.S. population, about 14.5 percent of all men are six feet or over. Among CEOs of Fortune 500 companies, that number is 58 percent. Even more strikingly, in the general American population, 3.9 percent of adult men are 6'2″ or taller.

85.5% of women are going to end up being lonely if they only date > 6' guys.
96.1% of women will be lonely if 6'2" is their cutoff.

qcf x2

In south FL it doesn't matter what your height is; the finest chicks are usually w/ guys that are their height or shorter. As a tall guy it kind of sucks that my advantage is removed here. EOD what seems to matter most on these dating sites is:

1. Being white or being able to pass for white
2. Having pics depicting the life of luxury, ie bottles, yachts, fancy cars, etc

If you can hit one of those two you're probably going to be swimming in matches unless you're fat.

I feel like more than 4% of the country has to be 6'2" or taller

More than 4% of the country claims to be 6'2" or over. Lot's of people unknowingly exaggerate their height. I used to say I was 6'3" and read an article that men exaggerate by an inch on average and ever since claim I'm 6'2". Now a TON of guys I meet say "You can't be 6'2", you're taller than me and I am 6'2"!"

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Not to be that guy, but when this subject comes up I can't help but wonder if there is a connection between this feeling and the rampant MRA sexism you see in geek communities. Which is doubly sad cuz men being like, "They judge us on our looks!" would ideally create some empathy for the female experience of the last say infinity years, haha.

More than 4% of the country claims to be 6'2" or over. Lot's of people unknowingly exaggerate their height. I used to say I was 6'3" and read an article that men exaggerate by an inch on average and ever since claim I'm 6'2". Now a TON of guys I meet say "You can't be 6'2", you're taller than me and I am 6'2"!"

Most people measure with their shoes on, which adds an inch. That's why

kavanf1

Not to be that guy, but when this subject comes up I can't help but wonder if there is a connection between this feeling and the rampant MRA sexism you see in geek communities. Which is doubly sad cuz men being like, "They judge us on our looks!" would ideally create some empathy for the female experience of the last say infinity years, haha.
I'd say there absolutely is. Look at the "men are so fragile" comment which illustrates the double standard at play. It's no wonder some guys are confused, especially if they're relatively inexperienced.

And yet there's such a culture of resistance against self-improvement.

Yeah now we're just told to accept our bodies and enjoy the skin we're in. From a height perspective it makes since, because its something you can't change. But it's scary how many morbidly obese individuals are embracing this idea.

Derwind

If you seek validation from a mashup of an electric mobile version of a stereoscope and digital speed dating.... then yeah, you kind of deserve the low self worth you get.

If you can appreciate it as a tool to connect to others and nothing more than you should be fine.

People will always seek an idealized version of their prince or princess charming and what they seek might not be what is always grounded in reality and you might find what you seek is also just as shallow and objectifying.

Maybe just have fun and enjoy the moment with the people around you and try not to focus so hard on what could be and focus on what is. Then maybe you'll find more people attracted to you because you are confident & happy. Something you clearly weren't before.

Seems like the easy solution is to not use the shallowest dating app ever.... e_e

This.

Or better yet: just don't use online dating apps period.

Online dating is the antithesis to how human beings actually communicate and fall in love. Great for the people who find someone that way, but more than anything it's the two who fell in love IN SPITE of the terrible concept of online dating, not because of it.

gatti-man

Men just need to get out there. I meet new women every day. It's not hard to meet women. Then it's just a simple matter of not being afraid to be yourself. If they reject you who gives a shit.

Seriously. In highschool there were dudes a couple inches shorter than me claiming to be 6ft. The thing is, I'm 5'10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom