• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tinder is destroying men’s self-esteem (New York Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You never call someone at work to ask them out. Unless you know for a FACT that they are desperately obsessed with you. Or you know them pretty well already.

"Hey. Im that guy that was in there that looking at those jeans in the back of the store. Hahaha anyways, I'd like to take you out sometime"

Flashbacks to the "felt your material" Seinfeld episode.

Don't do this shit guys, if it doesn't work you're gonna come off as a massive creep.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Then why not ask them out in person? Calling them at work just seems half assed. But yeah, if you know them well enough, thats a big difference

i would prefer getting asked out over the phone rather than at work itself. i'd rather not be put on the spot at work while other people might be witnessing the situation. i think it's kind of cheesy, like proposing at a baseball game without knowing it's a sure thing. i actually like to make rejection as easy as possible so that i know they're enthusiastic about it when they say yes.

but hey, everyone's different.

Shoes with heel lifts (no, I don't wear them) are like padded push-up bras.

I don't think men who put 2" inserts in their shoes are cheating or misleading. They are just evening the playing field to counter womens heels. Also, some women wear 5" heels and there are no subtle lifts men can wear to compete with that.

KmA

Dude. It's all about butts now!

tumblr_nlwhe1XxWb1qdmonyo1_250.gif

FStop7

Banned
I laughed at that chat screenshot, but that's way too savage a response for comments that mild. She's not even ruling out short dudes.

Nah it's totally appropriate. She's acting like she's doing the guy some kind of favor by going out with him.

LosDaddie

Banned
Only read the OP, this is nothing new.

Us short guys (I'm 5'9" myself) have always been at a disadvantage when it comes to dating. Always. And it'll never changer.

Ever.

You just have to find a woman shorter. My wife is 5'2", but i never really had a problem finding a GF growing up. Not that women were falling all over me, but as long as your sociable and with a decent body, getting laid isn't too difficult.

Tale as old as time, online is stacked against you if your male. I suppose it makes up for the fact you don't have to worry about there being a time limit on your fertility.

Love how this is the first post and nobody has challenged this statement's veracity. Just as women start having increased chances of miscarriage and birth defects when getting pregnant at 35 or older, men's sperm quality starts to degrade around the age of 40, which can cause a host of similar health issues both for the mother and the baby due to genetic mutation. While men may be fertile for life, there definitely is an optimal range for reproductive health, and it is only 5 years more than women get. If you're over 40, please get your guys checked out before you knock someone up.

Just one article, using a search engine will turn up a ton more.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...nant/expert-answers/paternal-age/faq-20057873

To stay slightly on topic, partner and I are pretty similar in height, but glad I didn't have to use online services to find them. My only experiences with that are secondhand and they've been a huge bust. Reading the messages sent by males to females and reading bot messages is depressing, and I've been out of the game for nearly 20 years.

UraMallas

Love how this is the first post and nobody has challenged this statement's veracity. Just as women start having increased chances of miscarriage and birth defects when getting pregnant at 35 or older, men's sperm quality starts to degrade around the age of 40, which can cause a host of similar health issues both for the mother and the baby due to genetic mutation. While men may be fertile for life, there definitely is an optimal range for reproductive health, and it is only 5 years more than women get. If you're over 40, please get your guys checked out before you knock someone up.

Just one article, using a search engine will turn up a ton more.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...nant/expert-answers/paternal-age/faq-20057873

To stay slightly on topic, partner and I are pretty similar in height, but glad I didn't have to use online services to find them. My only experiences with that are secondhand and they've been a huge bust. Reading the messages sent by males to females and reading bot messages is depressing, and I've been out of the game for nearly 20 years.
I mean. Okay. This is just one big #wellactually though.

Mr Swine

Banned
Being 5 feet 5,748 inches in Sweden is really freaking short, feels like I'm a midget. Probably,one of the reasons why nobody wants to date me :/

PillarEN

The ass is overrated. Always has been.

A pretty friendly face is huge even if you have a small chest or not a bodacious butt.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I mean. Okay. This is just one big #wellactually though.
It is a point that deserves to be brought up. Men shouldn't be resting on their laurels thinking they can just wait it out.
My sister (who is many years younger than myself) has mild autism and my parents were told this is highly correlated with the age of the father. Trust me, seeing the shit they have to go through with her sometimes has definitely made me not want to delay having children any more than I must.

Us short guys (I'm 5'9" myself) have always been at a disadvantage when it comes to dating. Always. And it'll never changer.

Ever.

You just have to find a woman shorter. My wife is 5'2", but i never really had a problem finding a GF growing up. Not that women were falling all over me, but as long as your sociable and with a decent body, getting laid isn't too difficult.

>Us short guys
>5'9 being average height
Lmao.

UraMallas

It is a point that deserves to be brought up. Men shouldn't be resting on their laurels thinking they can just wait it out.
My sister (who is many years younger than myself) has mild autism and my parents were told this is highly correlated with the age of the father. Trust me, seeing the shit they have to go through with her sometimes has definitely made me not want to delay having children any more than I must.
That's you. People are different and care about different things. I don't even want kids so I am in no rush.

Shoe lifts, bruhs. Can discretely make a 5'9" dude nearly 6' and it has the added effect of accentuating the booty. If women can cheat with heels, push up bras, etc. why can't we cheat with lifts?

They ain't gonna notice the height difference when you're naked anyway.

It's almost as if men aren't used to being treated like pieces of meat or something.

Super strange.

This sooooo much. Everyone gets treated superficially, IRL and magnified by a million on dating sites, and people have a right to do it. Sure it can be shallow and dumb, but it's your right to have those preferences/ideals. If you don't fit the bill, all you can do is laugh it off. The replies and overall feeling that everything is just unfair and then generalising women/men as picky or whatever ain't gonna help you. It's just rejection, it ain't a big deal.

Course, easy for me to say as a close to average height dude.

FStop7

Banned
The whole thread pretty much sums up my main issue with online dating: that it's a very shallow and unrealistic experience that's not well-aligned with real life. That said, it most certainly DOES give us men a little bit of a taste of what it's like to be perpetually judged by our looks.

I mentioned there's a culture of resistance against self-improvement earlier, and I meant it. It's not just about your appearance, though that's absolutely a big part of it. How you present yourself in life directly affects the way that people perceive you. But self-improvement is also about continuously challenging your own perceptions of yourself and others, expanding your knowledge, refining your personality, etc. Putting yourself under the harsh light of Tinder to be anonymously scrutinized by others can be a healthy experience as long as you don't let it define you.

Nosgotham

How the fuck he know its cuz of his height? Is that what he is insecure about so that's why he assumes he doesn't get likes? There's no way he can know its because of his height, what a poorly thought out idea.

Karak

I nearly yelled at one of them who said guys under 6'2 need to hit the gym and get taller. Like what the fuck.

Yes but this is the equivalent mental production of a baby rubbing shit on their face and spilling cornflakes. I mean it couldn't matter less but it is hilarious.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.

Ever.

Yeah you are average height.....honestly most girls really don't care too much about height. However if you are looking on Tinder...seriously though don't look on Tinder for an actual date.

but hey, everyone's different.

For sure. What might work well for me might not work well for others. It all really depends on your personality and looks. One guy might come off as a creep while the next dude that does the same thing will come off as flattering.

I still think there is some general guidlines that the average person should go by and I think calling someone at work to ask them out falls into that catagory.

bounchfx

count me in the "5"9 is short??" crowd. what the fuck does that make me, Lol. I'd love to be 5"9'

it's an easy way to filter out people
at the expense of sex with potentially attractive people

god dammit XD

Leeness

As a woman, Tinder (and online dating apps in general) makes me pretty sad too. Rarely get matches.

Sigh. 😔

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
As a woman, Tinder (and online dating apps in general) makes me pretty sad too. Rarely get matches.

Sigh. 😔
If it makes you feel better, I wanted to know if your profile picture was someone famous so entered it into Google and the result that came back was "beauty".

True story - not creeping

harSon

Banned
Absolute truth.

Naw bruh. Get Tinder premium. Swipe right on everything. Get the chrome extension that auto swipes right on everything. Be selective after the fact. I've met some dope ass people that piqued my interest during our chats, that I probably would have swiped left on if I was being selective.

Naw bruh. Get Tinder premium. Swipe right on everything. Get the chrome extension that auto swipes right on everything. Be selective after the fact. I've met some dope ass people that piqued my interest during our chats, that I probably would have swiped left on if I was being selective.
All those poor girls that actually thought you were interested in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom